COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:42:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 227 228 229 [230] 231 232 233 234 235 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 532920 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5725 on: August 02, 2021, 06:18:13 PM »
« edited: August 02, 2021, 06:25:34 PM by pppolitics »

Louisiana is a prime example of why you do not elect "moderate" Democrats.  Their "moderate" governor just passed a mask mandate.  Disgusting display of government overreach.

...and what's the problem with a mask mandate?

Are masks so expensive that they're taking a big chunk out of your paychecks?

No, they violate our freedoms.  It's no different than burqas or hijabs being mandated in Islamic nations.  If you think masks work, you are welcome to wear them.  They obviously don't work given how they literally did nothing to slow cases last year, but that's another story...

I'm reporting this as false information that could hurt/kill others.
Mods please delete.
I would really like to tell you what I think of you, but it would most easily be infracted.

If masks actually work, you can just go and wear a mask?  It's not mask wearing I have a problem with, just people forcing their stupid "scientific" (religious) beliefs down other peoples throats and mandating it like it's actually going to help at all.  After 18 months we adults can make our own informed decisions thanks!

Let me this clear: I don't give a damn if you get sick from COVID and die.

After all, if you don't care about your own life, why should I?

What I do care about is you walking about the supermarket or wherever else and spreading the virus.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #5726 on: August 02, 2021, 06:30:15 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2021, 06:35:38 PM by roxas11 »

I dont understand why some people are getting so worked up over mask in the first place

As far I'm concerned if some state wants to bring back mask mandates than more power to them. On the other hand, if some states don't want to bring back mask mandates than I am fine with that as well

I don't feel strongly about it one way or the other because by the end of the day I truly believe that the only way to get this virus under control is for more people to actually go out and get vaccinated

In the end all the mask and mask mandates in the world won't make a difference if we can't find a way to get more people to actually take the damn vaccines

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5727 on: August 02, 2021, 06:33:49 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2021, 06:39:22 PM by Calthrina950 »

Well, I came back from work about an hour ago, and I can say that nobody has changed their masking habits (as of yet). I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people ignore the CDC guidance and continue on as before. And it's highly unlikely that there will be any new mask mandates in Colorado at this point.

This turned out to be premature on my part. As of today, all employees at my job (Home Depot) are now required to wear a mask once more. As I came into work this morning, I had the feeling that this would be the case. I had seen the news on TV about Kroger reviving its mask requirements (although they're only recommending that employees wear it, not mandating it). As I came into the store, I saw a fellow cashier out there with a mask on. However, she's someone who's been wearing a mask the whole time. But as I got into the store, I saw other employees wearing them, and then I saw a sign in the break room there stating that the mask requirement was back in place for us.

Fortunately, I had my mask, which I've continued to bring with me out of caution, and put it on. So now, we're back to the same situation we were in between March and July of last year, when employees were required to wear them but customers weren't. And given what we've seen with the Delta variant, and given that there's a surge expected for the fall, I wouldn't be surprised if the renewed employee mask mandate remains in force for the rest of the year.

This is very disheartening, and I hope to God that we're still not wearing them a year from now. The CDC definitely made a major mistake with its mask recommendations over the past few months.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #5728 on: August 02, 2021, 06:35:17 PM »

How is it that we're going backwards 8 months after the vaccine came out?
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5729 on: August 02, 2021, 06:36:47 PM »

....because of the anti-vaxxers
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5730 on: August 02, 2021, 06:38:37 PM »

I dont understand why some people are getting so worked up over mask in the first place

As far I'm concerned if some state wants to bring back mask mandates than more power to them. On the other hand, if some states don't want to bring back mask mandates than I am fine with that as well

I don't feel strongly about it one way or the other because by the end of the day I truly believe that the only way to get this virus under control is for more people to actually go out and get vaccinated

In the end all the mask and mask mandates in the world won't make a difference if we can't find a way to get more people to actually take the damn vaccines

The overlap between people who hates masks and hate vaccines really is confoundingly maddening.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #5731 on: August 02, 2021, 06:39:57 PM »

Because, unfortunately too many Americans are now getting their news from this guy...
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5732 on: August 02, 2021, 06:41:45 PM »

....because of the anti-vaxxers

This, in conjunction with the emergence of a much more contagious variant.  (Some people seem to find it surprising that the response to an evolving virus also needs to evolve.)  Too many people in the U.S. have resisted the vaccine, which has prevented us from reaching enough coverage to be close to herd immunity.
compucomp

« Reply #5733 on: August 02, 2021, 06:47:58 PM »

Louisiana is a prime example of why you do not elect "moderate" Democrats.  Their "moderate" governor just passed a mask mandate.  Disgusting display of government overreach.

...and what's the problem with a mask mandate?

Are masks so expensive that they're taking a big chunk out of your paychecks?

No, they violate our freedoms.  It's no different than burqas or hijabs being mandated in Islamic nations.  If you think masks work, you are welcome to wear them.  They obviously don't work given how they literally did nothing to slow cases last year, but that's another story...

I'm reporting this as false information that could hurt/kill others.
Mods please delete.
I would really like to tell you what I think of you, but it would most easily be infracted.

If masks actually work, you can just go and wear a mask?  It's not mask wearing I have a problem with, just people forcing their stupid "scientific" (religious) beliefs down other peoples throats and mandating it like it's actually going to help at all.  After 18 months we adults can make our own informed decisions thanks!

You cannot possibly be this dense. Cloth and surgical masks are better at preventing the wearer from spreading germs than they are at protecting the wearer, this is why the mandate is needed to protect everyone. Of course you know this but knowingly choose to disregard it because you have no sense of social responsibility and couldn't care less if you infect everyone around you. You called the mask mandate disgusting but that was pure projection because you're the disgusting one.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5734 on: August 02, 2021, 06:52:26 PM »

We need a vaccine mandate.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5735 on: August 02, 2021, 06:57:51 PM »

I would agree with you. We have and have had vaccine mandates for certain other diseases (i.e. meningitis, yellow fever, malaria), and Jacobson vs. Massachusetts from more than a century ago makes it clear that states have the power to impose such mandates for legitimate public health purposes. I blame the unvaccinated for the renewed mask requirement at my job.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #5736 on: August 02, 2021, 07:07:38 PM »

People are getting worked up over reviving mask mandates because they actively undermine the vaccine effort, both by displaying a lack of confidence in the effectiveness of vaccines and removing one of the biggest incentives to getting vaccinated. If you do believe (very reasonably!) that increased vaccinations are the only way out of this, you should be rejecting mask mandates for the vaccinated, and instead supporting enforcement of the mask mandates we already have for the unvaccinated.
Malarkey Decider
United States

« Reply #5737 on: August 02, 2021, 07:08:32 PM »

If masks actually work, you can just go and wear a mask?  It's not mask wearing I have a problem with, just people forcing their stupid "scientific" (religious) beliefs down other peoples throats and mandating it like it's actually going to help at all.  After 18 months we adults can make our own informed decisions thanks!

Ok don't wear your mask then if you don't want to. You're not in LA, so.

That's my point.  There shouldn't be any mandates forcing people what to do at this stage.  We know the facts and what's going on, our health should be our own personal decision.  I don't believe masks ever slowed or prevented the spread of COVID because cases soared in places that mandated them just like they did elsewhere.  Mainstream media won't say it, but I just did.  You can look at the stats on Google and judge for yourselves.

Some of us do.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5738 on: August 02, 2021, 07:17:34 PM »

People are getting worked up over reviving mask mandates because they actively undermine the vaccine effort, both by displaying a lack of confidence in the effectiveness of vaccines and removing one of the biggest incentives to getting vaccinated. If you do believe (very reasonably!) that increased vaccinations are the only way out of this, you should be rejecting mask mandates for the vaccinated, and instead supporting enforcement of the mask mandates we already have for the unvaccinated.

Unfortunately, our public health officials don't seem to recognize this. Surgeon-General Murthy has been a vigorous defender of the CDC's recent change in guidance, and he said that wearing masks is a "necessary" mitigation measure, along with vaccination, to bring the pandemic under control. The Biden Administration seems to be taking the same line.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5739 on: August 02, 2021, 07:41:27 PM »

Top RNC official in Florida spreads Covid-19 conspiracies, calling vaccines the ‘mark of the beast.’

Amid recent surging coronavirus cases in Florida, a top Republican National Committee official in the state has spread anti-vaccine rhetoric and misinformation, comparing the Biden administration’s vaccine efforts to Nazi-era “brown shirts,” and twice calling the vaccines “the mark of the beast,” comparable to a “false god.”

https://us.cnn.com/2021/08/02/politics/kfile-rnc-peter-feaman-covid-19-vaccine/index.html

Once again, Republican officials of today deflect from the Fascist ways during the trump days, by now describing Biden's administration with terms like "brown shirts."
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5740 on: August 02, 2021, 08:04:00 PM »

Top RNC official in Florida spreads Covid-19 conspiracies, calling vaccines the ‘mark of the beast.’

Amid recent surging coronavirus cases in Florida, a top Republican National Committee official in the state has spread anti-vaccine rhetoric and misinformation, comparing the Biden administration’s vaccine efforts to Nazi-era “brown shirts,” and twice calling the vaccines “the mark of the beast,” comparable to a “false god.”

https://us.cnn.com/2021/08/02/politics/kfile-rnc-peter-feaman-covid-19-vaccine/index.html

Once again, Republican officials of today deflect from the Fascist ways during the trump days, by now describing Biden's administration with terms like "brown shirts."

Well we know what they themselves are planning once they return to power in a few years.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5741 on: August 02, 2021, 08:27:12 PM »

The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5742 on: August 02, 2021, 08:31:15 PM »

Deaths arent ticking up at all. The variant is infecting people but no one is getting very ill from it. Hospitalizations continue to fall.

Cases in the UK beginning to fall as well, I think this is the last gasp of the virus.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5743 on: August 02, 2021, 08:32:04 PM »

Kaiser Permanente is my family's insurance provider, and they were the ones who administered the vaccine to me a few months ago.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #5744 on: August 02, 2021, 08:44:44 PM »

The grocery store I work in informed us today that all employees and vendors will once again be required to wear a mask starting tomorrow.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5745 on: August 02, 2021, 08:45:33 PM »

The grocery store I work in informed us today that all employees and vendors will once again be required to wear a mask starting tomorrow.

Are you frustrated by this decision? I imagine store chains all over the country are reimposing mask mandates.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #5746 on: August 02, 2021, 08:50:45 PM »

I guess we're just gonna have to keep wearing masks until we have a vaccine.

Oh, wait...
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #5747 on: August 02, 2021, 08:51:47 PM »

Are you frustrated by this decision? I imagine store chains all over the country are reimposing mask mandates.

I don't mind wearing a mask and still wear it in most places (I've been at this grocery store since before the pandemic so I didn't wear a mask once I was told I didn't have to since I knew what precautions were in place) so I'm not frustrated by it.

I'm more annoyed that they just sprung it on us. I left work yesterday at 12 and there was no mask requirement. I came in at three today and I found out now there was a requirement. We're also not requiring masks for customers, which I find rather odd.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5748 on: August 02, 2021, 08:53:14 PM »

I'm going to see Jungle Cruise in 3D tomorrow. I'll wear a mask inside before taking my seat but then it's coming off as I expect there to only be a handful of people there, and there will be well over 6 ft of space.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5749 on: August 02, 2021, 09:01:44 PM »

I don't mind wearing a mask and still wear it in most places (I've been at this grocery store since before the pandemic so I didn't wear a mask once I was told I didn't have to since I knew what precautions were in place) so I'm not frustrated by it.

I'm more annoyed that they just sprung it on us. I left work yesterday at 12 and there was no mask requirement. I came in at three today and I found out now there was a requirement. We're also not requiring masks for customers, which I find rather odd.

The same is true at my job. As I noted above, I wasn't aware of the change in policy until I arrived at work earlier today. It's an unfair policy, that we employees have to wear them but customers don't. But that was the situation here in Colorado for three months last year before Polis issued his statewide mask mandate.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 227 228 229 [230] 231 232 233 234 235 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies