COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:34:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 185 186 187 [188] 189 190 191 192 193 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 534271 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4675 on: June 29, 2021, 08:22:56 AM »

We don't need new mandates on masks, we need to be enforcing the mandates on masks that we already have. 
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4676 on: June 29, 2021, 09:26:51 AM »

Unless you're in SW Missouri or NE Texas (two areas that probably have extremely low vaccination rates) things look pretty great.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #4677 on: June 29, 2021, 09:48:19 AM »

WHO Urges Fully Vaccinated People To Continue Wearing Masks As Delta Variant Spreads—But No Word From CDC

World Health Organization (WHO) officials stressed Friday the need for fully vaccinated people to “continue to be appropriately cautious” and keep up with social distancing measures like mask wearing as the highly infectious Delta variant of the coronavirus becomes increasingly dominant in the U.S. and spurs new Covid-19 surges around the world—including in highly vaccinated countries.

[...]

“Us[ing] masks consistently” and following other social distancing measures like avoiding crowds, hand washing and being in well-ventilated spaces is “extremely important, even if you’re vaccinated,” Dr. Mariangela Simao, WHO assistant director-general for access to medicines and health products, said, warning, “Vaccine alone won’t stop the community transmission.”

I have a sick feeling that we declared victory too early. It's just becoming summer too. I don't think we have a clear picture as to what's going to happen later in the year.

I still wear a mask when I go places.

I stopped wearing it at work though, even though most of my coworkers are not only unvaccinated but anti-vaccination :/
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4678 on: June 29, 2021, 10:52:43 AM »

WHO Urges Fully Vaccinated People To Continue Wearing Masks As Delta Variant Spreads—But No Word From CDC

World Health Organization (WHO) officials stressed Friday the need for fully vaccinated people to “continue to be appropriately cautious” and keep up with social distancing measures like mask wearing as the highly infectious Delta variant of the coronavirus becomes increasingly dominant in the U.S. and spurs new Covid-19 surges around the world—including in highly vaccinated countries.

[...]

“Us[ing] masks consistently” and following other social distancing measures like avoiding crowds, hand washing and being in well-ventilated spaces is “extremely important, even if you’re vaccinated,” Dr. Mariangela Simao, WHO assistant director-general for access to medicines and health products, said, warning, “Vaccine alone won’t stop the community transmission.”

I have a sick feeling that we declared victory too early. It's just becoming summer too. I don't think we have a clear picture as to what's going to happen later in the year.

I stopped wearing it at work though, even though most of my coworkers are not only unvaccinated but anti-vaccination :/

Interestingly enough, I have a coworker who is still wearing a mask, even though she's fully vaccinated. When I asked her why, she told me that she still does so because she doesn't trust many of the other people in our workplace, who claim to be vaccinated but who are lying and actually aren't.

I believe you mentioned before that you live in a very Republican county. Do you mind me asking which county you live in?
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #4679 on: June 29, 2021, 02:44:43 PM »

[...]

Interestingly enough, I have a coworker who is still wearing a mask, even though she's fully vaccinated. When I asked her why, she told me that she still does so because she doesn't trust many of the other people in our workplace, who claim to be vaccinated but who are lying and actually aren't.

I believe you mentioned before that you live in a very Republican county. Do you mind me asking which county you live in?

Tons of people I know, including my mom, still wear a mask after vaccination while inside. She doesn’t seem to have a concrete reason, but you do you I guess, it can’t hurt.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4680 on: June 29, 2021, 03:04:04 PM »

[...]

Tons of people I know, including my mom, still wear a mask after vaccination while inside. She doesn’t seem to have a concrete reason, but you do you I guess, it can’t hurt.

It is everyone's choice. I do recall seeing a poll somewhere about a week or two ago saying that a majority of Biden voters are still wearing a mask in public, whereas the majority of Trump voters are no longer doing so. And there is this poll from Axios-Ipsos, stating that 92% of Democrats are very or somewhat concerned about the new Delta variant, along with 73% of independents, while only 50% of Republicans say the same. So there continues to be a massive partisan divide with regards to coronavirus precautions and the pandemic itself.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4681 on: June 29, 2021, 04:59:16 PM »

Updated map of counties that have vaccinated 70+% of all those eligible:

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4682 on: June 29, 2021, 06:38:20 PM »

Finally scheduled a shot tomorrow
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4683 on: June 29, 2021, 06:55:39 PM »

I'm glad to read this. I hope it goes well!
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4684 on: June 29, 2021, 07:15:14 PM »

I'm glad to read this. I hope it goes well!

I'm more anxious than I feel I should be, my mind keeps going to 'what if' over complications, and also catching covid from the appointment itself (Walgreens is not enforcing their mask mandates) and I can only usually put the anxiety to rest if I can reduce risk to absolute 0% which just isn't possible here.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #4685 on: June 29, 2021, 07:18:38 PM »

Speaking as someone with anxiety, depression, and all the modern ailments: I felt like a new person walking out from my second shot a few months ago. The peace of mind being vaccinated will bring you once it's done is worth the risks!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4686 on: June 29, 2021, 07:24:55 PM »

[...]

Of course the CCP-controlled WHO is saying this, they have no credibility. The Chinese vaccine has been an embarrassing failure, and now they're trying to convince the rest of the world that our vaccines are too. Luckily I think the United States will largely ignore this.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4687 on: June 29, 2021, 07:37:58 PM »

Speaking as someone with anxiety, depression, and all the modern ailments: I felt like a new person walking out from my second shot a few months ago. The peace of mind being vaccinated will bring you once it's done is worth the risks!

I don't suffer from any of those things, but I felt the same way.  There was an immense sense of relief after each of the first and second shots, and also when I reached two weeks after the second one!
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4688 on: June 29, 2021, 07:46:26 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2021, 08:02:41 PM by Hammy »

[...]

Of course the CCP-controlled WHO is saying this, they have no credibility. The Chinese vaccine has been an embarrassing failure, and now they're trying to convince the rest of the world that our vaccines are too. Luckily I think the United States will largely ignore this.

Yes, lets just ignore the fact that the Delta variant is spreading to vaccinated people just so you can pretend you haven't been brainwashed by Trump cultists and Fox News.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4689 on: June 29, 2021, 08:41:34 PM »

[...]

Yes, lets just ignore the fact that the Delta variant is spreading to vaccinated people just so you can pretend you haven't been brainwashed by Trump cultists and Fox News.

No vaccine is 100%. Must we coddle you hypochondriacs ever day?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4690 on: June 29, 2021, 08:43:00 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2021, 08:55:01 PM by Roll Roons »

[...]

Hey BlueAnoner, stop spreading misinformation. It's like you idiots want to be locked down forever. I'm normally a moderate, but I've run out of patience with liberals and their restrictions.

At this point, any American who wants a vaccine has been able to get it for months. They are extremely effective, even against "muh scary variants". It's why I hate the media. They're losing views and clicks without Trump, so they try to gin up fear of COVID (despite it clearly being on its way out in the US) to keep up their ratings.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4691 on: June 29, 2021, 08:48:34 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2021, 08:53:45 PM by Hammy »

[...]

So I see you've also subscribed to the racially-driven anti-China brainwashing, considering you completely ignored what I was replying to.

Hey BlueAnoner, stop spreading misinformation. It's like you idiots want to be locked down forever. I'm normally a moderate, but I've run out of patience with restrictions.

At this point, any American who wants a vaccine has been able to get it for months. They are extremely effective, even against "muh scary variants". It's why I hate the media. They're losing views and clicks without Trump, so they try to gin up fear of COVID (despite it clearly being on its way out in the US) to keep up their ratings.

It's people like you and Horus who are increasingly pushing me to support a militarized enforcement of COVID precautions and vaccinations, whichever is accomplished first. Delta variant is surging in areas with low vaccination rates, which means there will inevitably be vaccine-resistant variants.

There is literally no harm in recommending continued use of masks.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4692 on: June 29, 2021, 08:49:51 PM »

[...]

So I see you've also subscribed to the racially-driven anti-China brainwashing, considering you completely ignored what I was replying to.

The CCP is not China.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4693 on: June 29, 2021, 08:51:04 PM »

[...]

The CCP is not China.

No different than the "Muh Mossad" arguments from anti-Semites--just disguise it as CCP criticism and viola, racism is acceptable.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4694 on: June 29, 2021, 08:53:33 PM »

[...]

The CCP is not China.

No different than the "Muh Mossad" arguments from anti-Semites--just disguise it as CCP criticism and viola, racism is acceptable.

The comment literally wasn't racist though? If you don't think WHO has been overly deferential to the CCP idk what to tell you. I'll listen to the CDC, you can continue to listen to the fear mongerers at CNN.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4695 on: June 29, 2021, 08:54:34 PM »

[...]

The CCP is not China.

The comment literally wasn't racist though? If you don't think WHO has been overly deferential to the CCP idk what to tell you. I'll listen to the CDC, you can continue to listen to the fear mongerers at CNN.

I don't listen to CNN and have repeatedly advocated they be shut down, and everyone who works there charged with sedition and treason for leading to the situation we're in with Trumpsim, but of course straw men are all you have.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4696 on: June 29, 2021, 08:55:57 PM »

[...]

The CCP is not China.

I don't listen to CNN and have repeatedly advocated they be shut down, and everyone who works there charged with sedition and treason for leading to the situation we're in with Trumpsim, but of course straw men are all you have.

Just wear your mask forever and let the normal people return to normal bro.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4697 on: June 29, 2021, 08:57:47 PM »

[...]

The CCP is not China.

Are you literally unfamiliar with the word "recommend?" Your lack of grasp on basic language skills is sending you off the deep end here. WHO recommended continued mask use and suddenly anti-mask nuts like you are triggered as if they're being held down and forced to wear one.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4698 on: June 29, 2021, 08:58:38 PM »

[...]

The CCP is not China.

Are you literally unfamiliar with the word "recommend?" Your lack of grasp on basic language skills is sending you off the deep end here. WHO recommended continued mask use and suddenly anti-mask nuts like you are triggered as if they're being held down and forced to wear one.

Anti mask nuts? I literally wore my mask everywhere until two weeks after my second shot. However, since I believe in vaccines, a belief we appear to not share, you're damn right I'm no longer masking up. And unless I'm asked to be an employee, I won't. Deal with it.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4699 on: June 29, 2021, 08:59:29 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2021, 09:02:36 PM by Hammy »

[snipped for space]

Anti mask nuts? I literally wore my mask everywhere until two weeks after my second shot. However, since I believe in vaccines, a belief we appear to not share, you're damn right I'm no longer masking up. And unless I'm asked to be an employee, I won't. Deal with it.

Then why are you flipping out over a recommendation and my calling out of propagandistic wording?
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 185 186 187 [188] 189 190 191 192 193 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies