COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:57:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 [186] 187 188 189 190 191 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 534292 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4625 on: June 26, 2021, 07:55:44 AM »

I hope there won’t be another lockdown, I recently got a job at my local movie theater and our business is picking back up.

I don't support lockdowns right now, but I think we've moved far too fast in eliminating our other good measures. Masks and social distancing have been extraordinarily effective. The CDC made a big mistakes and moved too fast. We should've relaxed restrictions as we met certain vaccine benchmarks.

As I said before, I believe in the vaccines. I wouldn't have allowed myself to be injected with two doses of Pfizer's vaccine if I didn't. However, I do think warm weather is giving us an artificial low. I'm very concerned about a low vaccine uptake and viral mutations that manage to get past our vaccines. That would spread worse than a wildfire.

How many people reasonably have not had the vaccine because they didn't have the opportunity to do so? Once people get that chance, the basis for restricting people's lives is much weaker and the argument that they have a personal responsibility to protect themselves is suddenly valid.

If these people were only killing themselves, it'd be one thing. It's like telling a smoker that smoking is bad. I stopped proselytizing about that years ago. I just don't ever lend money to smokers.

On this topic, our vaccination rates are nowhere near what they need to be to prevent mutant strains from forming and getting into the population. That's my concern above all else. Every infection and every replication is the chance for the virus to mutate more times than you can comprehend.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #4626 on: June 26, 2021, 08:33:39 AM »

I hope there won’t be another lockdown, I recently got a job at my local movie theater and our business is picking back up.

I don't support lockdowns right now, but I think we've moved far too fast in eliminating our other good measures. Masks and social distancing have been extraordinarily effective. The CDC made a big mistakes and moved too fast. We should've relaxed restrictions as we met certain vaccine benchmarks.

As I said before, I believe in the vaccines. I wouldn't have allowed myself to be injected with two doses of Pfizer's vaccine if I didn't. However, I do think warm weather is giving us an artificial low. I'm very concerned about a low vaccine uptake and viral mutations that manage to get past our vaccines. That would spread worse than a wildfire.
I agree. I am 100% sure that the CDC will reimplement mask mandates once the Delta Variant causes cases to skyrocket to a level that would make the winter 2020/2021 surge look like nothing. Still, a lot of the MAGA and Stop the Steal supporters would not go along with that.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #4627 on: June 26, 2021, 09:02:55 AM »

I agree. I am 100% sure that the CDC will reimplement mask mandates once the Delta Variant causes cases to skyrocket to a level that would make the winter 2020/2021 surge look like nothing. Still, a lot of the MAGA and Stop the Steal supporters would not go along with that.

I think (hope) that even if cases rise again they won’t reach the highs we saw in December and January.

At least that’s my understanding when I read articles and such.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4628 on: June 26, 2021, 09:16:52 AM »

I think (hope) that even if cases rise again they won’t reach the highs we saw in December and January.

I certainly don't want for mask mandates to return. I've seen the reports about how Israel is reimposing its indoor mask mandate, despite the facts that a majority of their population has now been vaccinated and that they have a very low death rate.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4629 on: June 26, 2021, 09:26:37 AM »

I certainly don't want for mask mandates to return. I've seen the reports about how Israel is reimposing its indoor mask mandate, despite the facts that a majority of their population has now been vaccinated and that they have a very low death rate.

At a certain point, the costs of quarantine measures exceed their benefits. Especially if the situation boils down to individual miscalculation or negligence.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4630 on: June 26, 2021, 01:06:58 PM »

Some of you really need to get outside more.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4631 on: June 26, 2021, 01:39:51 PM »

At a certain point, the costs of quarantine measures exceed their benefits. Especially if the situation boils down to individual miscalculation or negligence.

I just don't understand why masks are such a big issue. The Asian countries have been using them for years as an effective measure against various pathogens. It's basically the least we can do as a society apart from compulsive hand washing/sanitizing and basic social distancing. I would say it's a whole lot better than lockdowns and shutdowns, both measures that cause actual harm. Personally, I have a bad habit of constantly touching my face. Masks have basically stopped that. During the early days of masking, it was a hard habit to break.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4632 on: June 26, 2021, 01:43:43 PM »

I just don't understand why masks are such a big issue.

Because people don't want to live in that sort of creepiness, and because people like being able to breathe.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4633 on: June 26, 2021, 01:44:28 PM »

I just don't understand why masks are such a big issue. The Asian countries have been using them for years as an effective measure against various pathogens. It's basically the least we can do as a society apart from compulsive hand washing/sanitizing and basic social distancing. I would say it's a whole lot better than lockdowns and shutdowns, both measures that cause actual harm. Personally, I have a bad habit of constantly touching my face. Masks have basically stopped that. During the early days of masking, it was a hard habit to break.

Masks have been shown to cause harm to infant development, especially facial recognition. They are not as harmful as lockdowns and before I was vaccinated I was anal about masking up, but they should not become permanent. These Asian countries are neurotic about masking (and micromanaging peoples lives in general) and have the suicide rates to show for it.

We have vaccines. They work. The only focus should be on the best ways to vaccinate the hesitant and get as close to normalcy as we can.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4634 on: June 26, 2021, 02:09:19 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2021, 02:27:17 PM by GeorgiaModerate »

Everyone who is alarmed (as I was initially) about the report that half of the new infections in Israel are among fully vaccinated people should read this thread ASAP: https://twitter.com/Jeffely/status/1408500890999328770.

TL/DR: since the general population of Israel is highly vaccinated, this infection rate is consistent with the Pfizer vaccine being as effective against Delta as it is against other variants.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4635 on: June 26, 2021, 02:21:03 PM »

If you're not vaccinated, wear a mask, for all of the reasons we've discussed. If you're vaccinated, you don't need to wear a mask because you're most likely not going to catch Covid. If you're one of the unlucky few who gets sick anyway, then sure wear a mask then.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4636 on: June 26, 2021, 03:15:59 PM »

If you're not vaccinated, wear a mask, for all of the reasons we've discussed. If you're vaccinated, you don't need to wear a mask because you're most likely not going to catch Covid. If you're one of the unlucky few who gets sick anyway, then sure wear a mask then.
That’s why I am going to continue to mask up until they develop a strong COVID booster shot and/or if the types of COVID variants start to decrease.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4637 on: June 26, 2021, 03:35:36 PM »

Everyone who is alarmed (as I was initially) about the report that half of the new infections in Israel are among fully vaccinated people should read this thread ASAP: https://twitter.com/Jeffely/status/1408500890999328770.

TL/DR: since the general population of Israel is highly vaccinated, this infection rate is consistent with the Pfizer vaccine being as effective against Delta as it is against other variants.
Thank you, this is a good point and would make more sense given what clinical trials have shown.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4638 on: June 26, 2021, 03:36:01 PM »

Masks have been shown to cause harm to infant development, especially facial recognition. They are not as harmful as lockdowns and before I was vaccinated I was anal about masking up, but they should not become permanent. These Asian countries are neurotic about masking (and micromanaging peoples lives in general) and have the suicide rates to show for it.

We have vaccines. They work. The only focus should be on the best ways to vaccinate the hesitant and get as close to normalcy as we can.

I'm not saying wear a mask everywhere. I certainly don't wear one at home or outside. For me, it's basically just stores at this point. I haven't been to a sit-down restaurant in well over a year. I'm just saying that certain places probably should still require masks and basic social distancing until we reach herd immunity. We're not even close to that. Personally, I also really like that I haven't been sick in a long time. These measures have wiped out the cold and flu for most people.

As I already said, my concern is that with so many unvaccinated and the virus spreading more than ever around the world that a new variant could render our vaccines moot.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4639 on: June 26, 2021, 05:31:01 PM »

Yea .. at this point.. you have had adequate chances to receive a vaccine.  If you refuse and get infected with the delta variant..

Oh well
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #4640 on: June 26, 2021, 07:48:40 PM »

Obviously a mask mandate is much less onerous than any sort of shutdown.  But wearing a mask every day is still much more onerous and much less effective than just getting vaccinated.  So reimplementing a mask mandate before we implement a vaccine mandate would be inexcusable.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #4641 on: June 26, 2021, 08:11:22 PM »

Obviously a mask mandate is much less onerous than any sort of shutdown.  But wearing a mask every day is still much more onerous and much less effective than just getting vaccinated.  So reimplementing a mask mandate before we implement a vaccine mandate would be inexcusable.
I guess the problem with a vaccine mandate is that the backlash politically could be extreme and drag the confidence down of vaccines for far more deadly diseases. Even I'd struggle to support a vaccine mandate (but would be in favour of making things difficult for non-vaccinated people in other ways)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4642 on: June 26, 2021, 09:10:07 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 6/26 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE:What's the overall change in the total?

Brackets []: These represent the total change for the day, including backlogged reports, if any.
  • These numbers are inflated relative to the actual reports for the day, so they are not used to calculate the comparative percentage shifts.

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

6/13: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 34,321,093 (+5,226 | ΔW Change: ↓18.45% | Σ Increase: ↑0.02%)
  • Deaths: 615,053 (+16 | ΔW Change: ↓90.36% | Σ Increase: ↑0.00%)

6/14: <M>
  • Cases: 34,334,299 (+7,310 [+13,206] | ΔW Change: ↓40.49% | Σ Increase: ↑0.04%)
  • Deaths: 615,263 (+106 [+210] | ΔW Change: ↓68.36% | Σ Increase: ↑0.03%)

6/15: <T>
  • Cases: 34,351,363 (+11,884 [+17,064] | ΔW Change: ↓12.24% | Σ Increase: ↑0.05%)
  • Deaths: 615,703 (+341 [+440] | ΔW Change: ↓2.85% | Σ Increase: ↑0.07%)

6/16: <W>
  • Cases: 34,365,327 (+12,757 [+13,964] | ΔW Change: ↓10.17% | Σ Increase: ↑0.04%)
  • Deaths: 616,141 (+352 [+438] | ΔW Change: ↓20.36% | Σ Increase: ↑0.07%)

6/17: <Þ>
  • Cases: 34,376,793 (+11,466 | ΔW Change: ↑7.06% | Σ Increase: ↑0.03%)
  • Deaths: 616,423 (+282 | ΔW Change: ↓31.55% | Σ Increase: ↑0.05%)

6/18: <F>
  • Cases: 34,393,269 (+13,389 [+16,476] | ΔW Change: ↓15.94% | Σ Increase: ↑0.05%)
  • Deaths: 616,920 (+393 [+497] | ΔW Change: ↓6.65% | Σ Increase: ↑0.08%)

6/19: <S>
  • Cases: 34,401,712 (+8,443 | ΔW Change: ↓11.93% | Σ Increase: ↑0.02%)
  • Deaths: 617,083 (+163 | ΔW Change: ↓46.56% | Σ Increase: ↑0.03%)

6/20 (Holiday): <Sunday>
  • Cases: 34,406,001 (+4,289 | ΔW Change: ↓17.93% | Σ Increase: ↑0.01%)
  • Deaths: 617,166 (+83 | ΔW Change: ↑418.75% | Σ Increase: ↑0.01%)

6/21: <M>
  • Cases: 34,419,838 (+6,609 [+13,837] | ΔW Change: ↓9.59% | Σ Increase: ↑0.04%)
  • Deaths: 617,463 (+121 [+297] | ΔW Change: ↑14.15% | Σ Increase: ↑0.05%)

6/22: <T>
  • Cases: 34,433,696 (+9,898 [+13,858] | ΔW Change: ↓16.71% | Σ Increase: ↑0.04%)
  • Deaths: 617,864 (+335 [+401] | ΔW Change: ↓1.76% | Σ Increase: ↑0.06%)

6/23: <W>
  • Cases: 34,449,004 (+12,942 [+15,308] | ΔW Change: ↑1.45% | Σ Increase: ↑0.04%)
  • Deaths: 618,294 (+326 [+430] | ΔW Change: ↓7.39% | Σ Increase: ↑0.07%)

6/24: <Þ>
  • Cases: 34,464,956 (+13,365 [+15,952] | ΔW Change: ↑16.56% | Σ Increase: ↑0.05%)
  • Deaths: 618,685 (+329 [+391] | ΔW Change: ↑16.67% | Σ Increase: ↑0.06%)

6/25 (Yesterday): <F>
  • Cases: 34,482,672 (+15,537 [+17,716] | ΔW Change: ↑16.04% | Σ Increase: ↑0.05%)
  • Deaths: 619,152 (+387 [+467] | ΔW Change: ↑1.53% | Σ Increase: ↑0.08%)

6/26 (Today): <S>
  • Cases: 34,490,134 (+7,462 | ΔW Change: ↓11.62% | Σ Increase: ↑0.02%)
  • Deaths: 619,343 (+150 [+191] | ΔW Change: ↓7.98% | Σ Increase: ↑0.03%)
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4643 on: June 26, 2021, 09:26:44 PM »

No matter how bad any variant gets, there is literally no political will in the United States for another lockdown. Especially with midterm elections coming up.. and there is no way another stimulus gets passed.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4644 on: June 27, 2021, 12:37:07 AM »

No matter how bad any variant gets, there is literally no political will in the United States for another lockdown. Especially with midterm elections coming up.. and there is no way another stimulus gets passed.
Yeah, let’s just hope the situation is good.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4645 on: June 27, 2021, 01:02:40 AM »

Are colleges and universities going to keep punishing students for attending parties that are off campus and are not at school-sponsored events?

The only thing dumber than this is the fact that more schools weren't sued over it.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4646 on: June 27, 2021, 04:53:41 AM »

That’s why I am going to continue to mask up until they develop a strong COVID booster shot and/or if the types of COVID variants start to decrease.

The community in which I live has too many dimwits, religious fundamentalists, and Trump-supporting fanatics who either do not get or reject the message. I have been inoculated, but I still wear a mask when possible. Anyone who gets COVID-19 now is a potential playground for variants that could mutate in ways that circumvent the current inoculations.

I don't drive drunk. I do not speed. I wear a seat belt. I do not provoke dogs or snakes. I avoid starting confrontations in bars (indeed, I do my drinking at home. I am on the autistic spectrum and my expressions can easily be the wrong ones). Then again, there is no obvious cure for Big Stupidity any more than there is for Asperger's syndrome.

Speaking of dogs, there was a fellow in my county who on a cold winter day broke into a house. To his chagrin he found that an animal with most of the characteristics of a bear or Big Cat was there. He got out, but he failed to close the door behind him. The real top of local food chain where I live overtook him, overpowered him, and mauled him severely. The potential man-killer's owner was distraught to see the door open and his dog gone. His beloved pooch returned with a pair of bloody shoes. The would-be victim of a burglary-larceny was delighted to see his dog return.

Somehow the burglar got to the hospital, where he was treated for wounds instead of expiring of exposure (it was winter in Michigan). The police reunited him with shoes that the dog had somehow recovered. The crook would never have to wear such shoes that the dog had ripped with his big fangs and fouled with his filthy saliva. Crooks get government-supplied shoes for use in jail.

I wonder if that fellow got inoculated. Probably not unless he was in the lock-up.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4647 on: June 27, 2021, 08:10:52 AM »

A vaccine mandate would be struck down 5-4 on the Supreme Court, would likely include exemptions, and would serve as a literal shot in the arm to the anti vaxxer movement. On the other hand, a National mask mandate would be much easier to enforce and would be deemed as Constitutional.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #4648 on: June 27, 2021, 09:01:27 AM »

Obviously a mask mandate is much less onerous than any sort of shutdown.  But wearing a mask every day is still much more onerous and much less effective than just getting vaccinated.  So reimplementing a mask mandate before we implement a vaccine mandate would be inexcusable.
A vaccine mandate would be struck down 5-4 on the Supreme Court, would likely include exemptions, and would serve as a literal shot in the arm to the anti vaxxer movement. On the other hand, a National mask mandate would be much easier to enforce and would be deemed as Constitutional.

People keep saying a vaccine mandate would be struck down without any sort of evidence.  There are plenty of vaccine mandates in place now and they’ve always been upheld when they have been tested.   And a mask mandate would not be easier to enforce because you have to keep enforcing it all the time everywhere.  You only need to get the vaccine twice.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4649 on: June 27, 2021, 09:12:35 AM »

Obviously a mask mandate is much less onerous than any sort of shutdown.  But wearing a mask every day is still much more onerous and much less effective than just getting vaccinated.  So reimplementing a mask mandate before we implement a vaccine mandate would be inexcusable.

People keep saying a vaccine mandate would be struck down without any sort of evidence.  There are plenty of vaccine mandates in place now and they’ve always been upheld when they have been tested.   And a mask mandate would not be easier to enforce because you have to keep enforcing it all the time everywhere.  You only need to get the vaccine twice.

As has been said, the vaccine is far more effective and far more convenient in combatting the pandemic than masks are. I'm not sure why some people seem to be convinced that it is the other way. You have a noticeable number of fully vaccinated people still wearing masks when it is not absolutely necessary, and you have some who still doubt the vaccine's efficacy in general.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 [186] 187 188 189 190 191 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies