COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:05:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 156 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 532911 times)
Asta

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3750 on: April 22, 2021, 07:26:32 PM »

Girlfriend got Pfizer II yesterday morning, had a mild fever in the evening but slept it off and was fine.

I got J+J last week, had a moderate fever and night chills so I couldn't sleep, but was fine by mid-morning.

Just get your shot in the morning, drink a lot of water throughout the day, and pop a tylenol before bed.

Noted. I got my first Moderna shot just a few hours ago. I didn't expect the arm pain to occur this fast, but I can deal with it if it means that I don't have to be as concerned about the coronavirus.

Where did you get yours? I'm getting mine in Paramus tomorrow.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3751 on: April 22, 2021, 09:44:36 PM »

Anyway I assume within a month once our shots per day starts going down, we will be able to start distributing our excess vaccine supply to the rest of the world.

We should immediately share the millions of doses of AstraZeneca vaccine the U.S. is sitting on.  They're not going to be used here, and they could do a world of good for other countries.

I think we did that with Canada and Mexico
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #3752 on: April 22, 2021, 09:45:18 PM »

It’s good to see cases dropping for a full week now, but I’m perplexed by the fact that the drop in daily deaths seems to have stalled out.

What are the demographics of the people still dying of covid?  The elderly are like 80% vaccinated now.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3753 on: April 22, 2021, 10:02:34 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 4/22 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE:What's the overall change in the total?

Brackets []: These represent the total change for the day, including backlogged reports, if any.
  • These numbers are inflated relative to the actual reports for the day, so they are not used to calculate the comparative percentage shifts.

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

4/11 (Last Sunday Holiday): <Sunday>
  • Cases: 31,918,591 (+48,611 | ΔW Change: ↑27.50% | Σ Increase: ↑0.15%)
  • Deaths: 575,829 (+293 | ΔW Change: ↑5.40% | Σ Increase: ↑0.04%)

4/12: <M>
  • Cases: 31,990,143 (+56,522 [+71,552] | ΔW Change: ↑12.31% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 576,298 (+469 | ΔW Change: ↑11.67% | Σ Increase: ↑0.08%)

4/13: <T>
  • Cases: 32,070,784 (+77,720 [+80,641] | ΔW Change: ↑24.79% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)
  • Deaths: 577,179 (+819 [+881] | ΔW Change: ↓9.60% | Σ Increase: ↑0.15%)

4/14: <W>
  • Cases: 32,149,223 (+78,439 | ΔW Change: ↑2.13% | Σ Increase: ↑0.24%)
  • Deaths: 578,092 (+913 | ΔW Change: ↑4.58% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/15: <Þ>
  • Cases: 32,224,139 (+74,916 | ΔW Change: ↓0.36% | Σ Increase: ↑0.23%)
  • Deaths: 578,993 (+901 | ΔW Change: ↑3.33% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/16: <F>
  • Cases: 32,305,912 (+81,773 | ΔW Change: ↓4.21% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)
  • Deaths: 579,942 (+887 [+949] | ΔW Change: ↓9.86% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/17: <S>
  • Cases: 32,372,119 (+63,581 [+66,207] | ΔW Change: ↓5.40% | Σ Increase: ↑0.20%)
  • Deaths: 580,756 (+738 [+814] | ΔW Change: ↓1.99% | Σ Increase: ↑0.14%)

4/18: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 32,404,454 (+32,335 | ΔW Change: ↓33.48% | Σ Increase: ↑0.10%)
  • Deaths: 581,061 (+305 | ΔW Change: ↑4.10% | Σ Increase: ↑0.05%)

4/19: <M>
  • Cases: 32,475,043 (+51,560 [+70,589] | ΔW Change: ↓8.78% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 581,542 (+481 | ΔW Change: ↑2.56% | Σ Increase: ↑0.08%)

4/20: <T>
  • Cases: 32,536,470 (+61,427 | ΔW Change: ↓20.96% | Σ Increase: ↑0.19%)
  • Deaths: 582,456 (+914 | ΔW Change: ↑11.60% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/21 (Yesterday): <W>
  • Cases: 32,602,051 (+65,581 | ΔW Change: ↓16.39% | Σ Increase: ↑0.20%)
  • Deaths: 583,330 (+874 | ΔW Change: ↓4.27% | Σ Increase: ↑0.15%)

4/22 (Today): <Þ>
  • Cases: 32,669,121 (+67,070 | ΔW Change: ↓10.47% | Σ Increase: ↑0.21%)
  • Deaths: 584,226 (+896 | ΔW Change: ↓0.55% | Σ Increase: ↑0.15%)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3754 on: April 23, 2021, 04:32:37 AM »

Just found out my work is ending all covid guidelines in mid May.

No masks.

No temperature checks.

No social distancing.

Visitors allowed.

I’m glad I got the vaccine in January and February but this makes me extremely worried.  I work in a small space with about ten other people for 12 hours.  Almost all of my coworkers are morons and most didn’t get the vaccine and say they never will.

As long as you and your loved ones got it, there isn't much else you can do. If your coworkers catch covid, well too bad for them and they'll spread it across the office but you yourself should be safe (you could catch a very mild case, but nothing else I think)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3755 on: April 23, 2021, 07:01:24 AM »

Just found out my work is ending all covid guidelines in mid May.

No masks.

No temperature checks.

No social distancing.

Visitors allowed.

I’m glad I got the vaccine in January and February but this makes me extremely worried.  I work in a small space with about ten other people for 12 hours.  Almost all of my coworkers are morons and most didn’t get the vaccine and say they never will.

As long as you and your loved ones got it, there isn't much else you can do. If your coworkers catch covid, well too bad for them and they'll spread it across the office but you yourself should be safe (you could catch a very mild case, but nothing else I think)

Well, by the end of the next month, we will be at the point where public health ends and personal responsibility begins.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #3756 on: April 23, 2021, 07:22:43 AM »

Video: Ted Nugent contracts Covid-19 after saying 'it's not a real pandemic.'

Click here to watch ... https://us.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/04/21/ted-nugent-covid-orig-jk.cnn

This idiot, even after getting the virus, talks to his followers/audience and downplays the virus, vaccine, sickness dangers, etc.

I'm not generally a fan of Ted Nugent's politics, but I thought it was great when he said "I'm going back to f---ing America" after he got arrested in Cincinnati.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3757 on: April 23, 2021, 09:03:37 AM »

I'm now at two weeks after the second shot and have emerged from the cocoon.  I'm sorry to report that the superpowers are less than expected; I'm only able to leap small buildings with a single bound.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #3758 on: April 23, 2021, 09:55:03 AM »

I've noticed in the past few days with cases in the U.S. dropping rapidly again, the drop this time really isn't fueled by the South, except maybe Texas. This time, it's big states up north like Michigan and New York.

Those are states with more people vaccinated. Alabama and Mississippi don't have as many people vaccinated, and the drop in cases there is starting to taper off.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3759 on: April 23, 2021, 10:12:08 AM »

People of Wisconsin...please get rid of this jerk if he runs again.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3760 on: April 23, 2021, 12:21:49 PM »

Video: Ted Nugent contracts Covid-19 after saying 'it's not a real pandemic.'

Click here to watch ... https://us.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/04/21/ted-nugent-covid-orig-jk.cnn

This idiot, even after getting the virus, talks to his followers/audience and downplays the virus, vaccine, sickness dangers, etc.

He has Cat Scratch Fever, don't you know!

Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #3761 on: April 23, 2021, 01:00:44 PM »

Ron Johnson is quickly climbing the ranks of the worst people in the US Senate.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3762 on: April 23, 2021, 01:08:13 PM »

Its almost as if he WANTS the pandemic go on and on indefinitely purely so they have something to run against Biden on.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3763 on: April 23, 2021, 01:26:37 PM »

He's among the worst people in the entire Congress. And its astonishing how low he's gone in an effort to appeal to the Trumpists, when they won't be enough by themselves to win him reelection next year. His previous two wins over Feingold were fueled by his dominance in the ancestrally Republican WOW suburbs, and as 2020 showed, they are trending away from the Party.
Asta

« Reply #3764 on: April 23, 2021, 05:33:01 PM »

He's among the worst people in the entire Congress. And its astonishing how low he's gone in an effort to appeal to the Trumpists, when they won't be enough by themselves to win him reelection next year. His previous two wins over Feingold were fueled by his dominance in the ancestrally Republican WOW suburbs, and as 2020 showed, they are trending away from the Party.

They may just be Trump skeptics rather than those feeling abhorrent of the Republican Party. We just don't know right now how much redder rural areas will become. Every time I think I have seen a despicable remark, someone new always seems to come along to prove me wrong. I've learned to keep myself open to facing the worst.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3765 on: April 23, 2021, 06:29:06 PM »

CDC, FDA lift pause on using J&J's coronavirus vaccine, add safety warning

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Food and Drug Administration lifted their recommended pause on use of Johnson & Johnson's coronavirus vaccine Friday and said the label will be updated to warn of blood clot risks.

The agencies acted quickly after a vote by the CDC's Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices recommended lifting the pause.

"We have concluded that the known and potential benefits of the Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine outweigh its known and potential risks in individuals 18 years of age and older," acting FDA Commissioner Dr. Janet Woodcock said in a statement.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/23/health/johnson-vaccine-acip-recommendation/index.html
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3766 on: April 23, 2021, 07:14:11 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2021, 07:18:18 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Girlfriend got Pfizer II yesterday morning, had a mild fever in the evening but slept it off and was fine.

I got J+J last week, had a moderate fever and night chills so I couldn't sleep, but was fine by mid-morning.

Just get your shot in the morning, drink a lot of water throughout the day, and pop a tylenol before bed.

Noted. I got my first Moderna shot just a few hours ago. I didn't expect the arm pain to occur this fast, but I can deal with it if it means that I don't have to be as concerned about the coronavirus.

Haha! No way! I live in Paramus, so I got mine here too. At Bergen New Bridge Medical Center.

Its almost as if he WANTS the pandemic go on and on indefinitely purely so they have something to run against Biden on.

I've become numb to irony but I still have to point out that this exactly what the GOP accused Democratic Governors of as a means of harming Trump, and now they might as well be doing the same thing. Not that consistency should ever be expected of Republicans.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3767 on: April 23, 2021, 07:34:58 PM »

They may just be Trump skeptics rather than those feeling abhorrent of the Republican Party. We just don't know right now how much redder rural areas will become. Every time I think I have seen a despicable remark, someone new always seems to come along to prove me wrong. I've learned to keep myself open to facing the worst.

Many of them are, yes. But it's undeniable that there is a long-term Democratic trend in the WOW counties, as there have been in educated suburbs throughout the country, and it's one that I expect to continue. Trends are indeed real, and I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson does better than he's ever done before in Wisconsin's rural areas next year, assuming he runs for reelection.
Asta

« Reply #3768 on: April 23, 2021, 07:40:26 PM »

Haha! No way! I live in Paramus, so I got mine here too. At Bergen New Bridge Medical Center.

Bergen New Bridge Medical Center was actually my first choice too, but the time slots were all filled. I got mine in Valley Health Plaza, which is about 5 minute drive away.

I actually live in Englewood, but my city was all filled up this week. Longer drive, but all worth it  Smile
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3769 on: April 23, 2021, 07:46:15 PM »

Bergen New Bridge Medical Center was actually my first choice too, but the time slots were all filled. I got mine in Valley Health Plaza, which is about 5 minute drive away.

I actually live in Englewood, but my city was all filled up this week. Longer drive, but all worth it  Smile

Also coincidentally, Valley is where my physician is at.
Asta

« Reply #3770 on: April 23, 2021, 07:58:05 PM »

Many of them are, yes. But it's undeniable that there is a long-term Democratic trend in the WOW counties, as there have been in educated suburbs throughout the country, and it's one that I expect to continue. Trends are indeed real, and I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson does better than he's ever done before in Wisconsin's rural areas next year, assuming he runs for reelection.

I don't think the trend is really too meaningful as of now. It seems to me like Biden getting a larger share of 2016 3rd party voters was just enough for him.

Biden's current approval rating in Wisconsin doesn't exactly inspire me, considering Wisconsin was one of the states with the biggest polling miss. And that's despite his avoidance of trouble for the most part. We'll see.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3771 on: April 23, 2021, 08:08:41 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 4/23 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE:What's the overall change in the total?

Brackets []: These represent the total change for the day, including backlogged reports, if any.
  • These numbers are inflated relative to the actual reports for the day, so they are not used to calculate the comparative percentage shifts.

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

4/11 (Last Sunday Holiday): <Sunday>
  • Cases: 31,918,591 (+48,611 | ΔW Change: ↑27.50% | Σ Increase: ↑0.15%)
  • Deaths: 575,829 (+293 | ΔW Change: ↑5.40% | Σ Increase: ↑0.04%)

4/12: <M>
  • Cases: 31,990,143 (+56,522 [+71,552] | ΔW Change: ↑12.31% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 576,298 (+469 | ΔW Change: ↑11.67% | Σ Increase: ↑0.08%)

4/13: <T>
  • Cases: 32,070,784 (+77,720 [+80,641] | ΔW Change: ↑24.79% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)
  • Deaths: 577,179 (+819 [+881] | ΔW Change: ↓9.60% | Σ Increase: ↑0.15%)

4/14: <W>
  • Cases: 32,149,223 (+78,439 | ΔW Change: ↑2.13% | Σ Increase: ↑0.24%)
  • Deaths: 578,092 (+913 | ΔW Change: ↑4.58% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/15: <Þ>
  • Cases: 32,224,139 (+74,916 | ΔW Change: ↓0.36% | Σ Increase: ↑0.23%)
  • Deaths: 578,993 (+901 | ΔW Change: ↑3.33% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/16: <F>
  • Cases: 32,305,912 (+81,773 | ΔW Change: ↓4.21% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)
  • Deaths: 579,942 (+887 [+949] | ΔW Change: ↓9.86% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/17: <S>
  • Cases: 32,372,119 (+63,581 [+66,207] | ΔW Change: ↓5.40% | Σ Increase: ↑0.20%)
  • Deaths: 580,756 (+738 [+814] | ΔW Change: ↓1.99% | Σ Increase: ↑0.14%)

4/18: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 32,404,454 (+32,335 | ΔW Change: ↓33.48% | Σ Increase: ↑0.10%)
  • Deaths: 581,061 (+305 | ΔW Change: ↑4.10% | Σ Increase: ↑0.05%)

4/19: <M>
  • Cases: 32,475,043 (+51,560 [+70,589] | ΔW Change: ↓8.78% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 581,542 (+481 | ΔW Change: ↑2.56% | Σ Increase: ↑0.08%)

4/20: <T>
  • Cases: 32,536,470 (+61,427 | ΔW Change: ↓20.96% | Σ Increase: ↑0.19%)
  • Deaths: 582,456 (+914 | ΔW Change: ↑11.60% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/21: <W>
  • Cases: 32,602,051 (+65,581 | ΔW Change: ↓16.39% | Σ Increase: ↑0.20%)
  • Deaths: 583,330 (+874 | ΔW Change: ↓4.27% | Σ Increase: ↑0.15%)

4/22 (Yesterday): <Þ>
  • Cases: 32,669,121 (+67,070 | ΔW Change: ↓10.47% | Σ Increase: ↑0.21%)
  • Deaths: 584,226 (+896 | ΔW Change: ↓0.55% | Σ Increase: ↑0.15%)

4/23 (Today): <F>
  • Cases: 32,735,209 (+66,088 | ΔW Change: ↓19.18% | Σ Increase: ↑0.20%)
  • Deaths: 585,033 (+807 | ΔW Change: ↓9.02% | Σ Increase: ↑0.14%)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3772 on: April 24, 2021, 12:03:25 AM »

Glad about the trends, but given how far off the rails things have gotten in India and Brazil wouldn't be surprised to see one more modest wave to work it way through the US.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3773 on: April 24, 2021, 04:04:06 AM »

The one year anniversary of this:

Trump suggests 'injection' of disinfectant to beat coronavirus and 'clean' the lungs

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3774 on: April 24, 2021, 11:29:06 AM »

This is an excellent though somewhat long thread describing how things got out of control in India.  Unrolled version: https://threader.app/thread/1385546644922507265

The government response strongly reminds me of what I picture a second Trump administration would have done, and where the U.S. would be now.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 156 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies