COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:23:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 450 451 452 [453] 454 455 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 534201 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11300 on: February 22, 2023, 06:40:08 AM »

It's not a big deal. I didn't even understand what RR was getting at. I didn't even notice it lol

I didn't notice it either. It's a phrase that makes 100% sense and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in a sentence. I think once people see it used more and more often, it will quickly be something that people don't even notice as out of the ordinary anymore. Something akin to people saying "East Asian" instead of "oriental". It just seems normal after a while.

Cultural conservatives will turn it into the next "it's MERRY CHRISTMAS not HAPPY HOLIDAYS" thing, which will be fun.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11301 on: March 03, 2023, 08:11:50 PM »

The two main reasons for why we made it through relatively unscathed this winter -we have pretty much achieved (hard-won) herd immunity by this point both because of mass vaccinations and prior infections, and the sub-variants we have seen popping up thus far are all descended from the original omicron variant:

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11302 on: March 03, 2023, 10:02:28 PM »

the sub-variants we have seen popping up thus far are all descended from the original omicron variant:

Isn't all Covid in the wild descended from Omicron? I thought it completely pushed Delta out.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #11303 on: March 03, 2023, 10:47:16 PM »

the sub-variants we have seen popping up thus far are all descended from the original omicron variant:

Isn't all Covid in the wild descended from Omicron? I thought it completely pushed Delta out.

There probably are a few cases out there caused by Delta and other earlier variants, since there's still a few deaths occurring.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11304 on: March 08, 2023, 07:48:31 PM »

The Biden administration has clearly given up on getting any extra COVID funding, especially with Republicans controlling the House:

The latest sign the White House Covid operations are winding down? Its proposed budget

President Joe Biden is not expected to seek significant new Covid funding as part of his forthcoming budget proposal, the latest sign that the White House is preparing to wind down its emergency response operation later this year.

The move comes as Biden has insisted that the public health crisis is under control, and amid a broader administration shift toward new priorities aimed at bolstering the post-pandemic economy and lowering consumer costs.

The White House proposal, which is scheduled for release Thursday, is expected to drop a call Biden made last year for tens of billions of dollars to fuel the ongoing crisis response, including purchasing more vaccines and treatments, three people familiar with the matter told POLITICO.

The budget may also leave out the administration’s prior request for new funding to jumpstart research aimed at developing the next generation of Covid vaccines and therapeutics. Health officials are currently discussing whether there’s existing money that can be reallocated toward the project.

The White House’s Office of Management and Budget declined to comment, and the people familiar with the matter cautioned that the details of the budget proposal were not finalized and could still change.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11305 on: March 20, 2023, 11:30:33 PM »

Long-covid symptoms are less common now than earlier in the pandemic

Americans infected with the coronavirus’s omicron variant are less likely to develop symptoms typical of long covid than those who had covid-19 earlier in the pandemic, according to the largest-ever study of who is most vulnerable to being sickened — or debilitated — by the virus’s lingering effects.

The analysis of nearly 5 million U.S. patients who had covid, a study based on a collaboration between The Washington Post and research partners, shows that 1 in 16 people with omicron received medical care for symptoms associated with long covid within several months of being infected. Patients exposed to the coronavirus during the first wave of pandemic illness — from early 2020 to late spring 2021 — were most prone to develop long covid, with 1 in 12 suffering persistent symptoms.

This pattern mirrors what leading doctors who treat long covid — and some scientists who study it — have noticed as the coronavirus pandemic evolves. But the reasons they offer for the shifting rates are closer to conjecture than to proof.

“Long covid is a complicated beast,” said Ziyad Al-Aly, director of the Clinical Epidemiology Center at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and a major researcher into the phenomenon.

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11306 on: March 21, 2023, 03:43:47 PM »

Difference between being vaccinated (myself, four total, last in December) and not (my wife who had a rare shoulder nerve reaction to the third one and can’t have anymore) is remarkable. I felt like crap for half a day and am now fully back to normal. Wife got knocked on her ass again like when we first had it back in December of 2020. It can still be nasty folks. Get vaccinated if you can.
nfvlmv
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11307 on: March 26, 2023, 05:49:28 PM »

I think that we closed too early and opened too early.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11308 on: March 29, 2023, 08:07:00 PM »

I think that we closed too early and opened too early.
I dont think we should have ever closed down. Its amazing how red states were open safely while blue states like California were locked down for an extra two years. To the point that even their own residents wanted to end the restrictions and mask mandates.

I am a Democrats but when it came to pandemic response the Republicans did it right.
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #11309 on: March 30, 2023, 11:08:18 AM »

Nobody was "locked down." That phrase is so annoying when used incorrectly. The GOP response was reckless in some states, we didn't know exactly what we were dealing with for quite a while.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #11310 on: March 30, 2023, 03:07:01 PM »

What about those 2 months back in the spring of 2020?
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11311 on: March 31, 2023, 12:13:08 PM »

You were allowed to leave your home, nobody arrested you and forced you to stay in your home. Restrictions were necessary while we figured out what was going on and how bad things were.
Property Representative of the Harold Holt Swimming Centre
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #11312 on: March 31, 2023, 12:16:35 PM »

You were allowed to leave your home, nobody arrested you and forced you to stay in your home. Restrictions were necessary while we figured out what was going on and how bad things were.

Unconditionally?
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11313 on: March 31, 2023, 12:23:45 PM »

Unconditionally?

I literally said there were (necessary, at the time) restrictions in that post.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11314 on: March 31, 2023, 01:01:52 PM »

Two months three years ago, and you guys have been acting like we're living under a totalitarian dictatorship ever since.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11315 on: April 01, 2023, 11:15:53 PM »

Two months three years ago, and you guys have been acting like we're living under a totalitarian dictatorship ever since.
Mask mandates were totalitarian
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #11316 on: April 01, 2023, 11:24:20 PM »

I flew across the country on April 7th, 2020 without hassle (or even a mask). We use "lockdown" colloquially because nothing was open to go do, and most people chose to stay home vs aimlessly wander empty streets with shuttered businesses, but it was never a true "lockdown" like in some countries.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11317 on: April 01, 2023, 11:27:38 PM »

No they weren't. Keep crying about it.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11318 on: April 01, 2023, 11:31:59 PM »

I'm not the one crying. Its the blue hair people on Twitter who were crying when red states moved away from masks. Two years later when blue states moved away from masks because of public outcry, it was the blue hair people on reddit crying.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11319 on: April 01, 2023, 11:35:08 PM »

I'm not the one crying. Its the blue hair people on Twitter who were crying when red states moved away from masks. Two years later when blue states moved away from masks because of public outcry, it was the blue hair people on reddit crying.

Your side tried to kidnap the Governor of Michigan because they had to get takeout from Arby's instead of going into the restaurant.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11320 on: April 01, 2023, 11:37:03 PM »

Your side tried to kidnap the Governor of Michigan because they had to get takeout from Arby's instead of going into the restaurant.
I am a proud Democrat and a fan of Governor Whitmer. In fact, I think she is the best possible canididate in 2028 to succede Biden
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11321 on: April 01, 2023, 11:42:11 PM »

I am a proud Democrat and a fan of Governor Whitmer. In fact, I think she is the best possible canididate in 2028 to succede Biden

By "your side" I don't mean Democrat vs Republican, I mean liberal vs conservative.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11322 on: April 01, 2023, 11:45:22 PM »

By "your side" I don't mean Democrat vs Republican, I mean liberal vs conservative.
I am a progressive. I supported Bernie Sanders
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11323 on: April 01, 2023, 11:50:06 PM »

Lots of hippies became Republicans later in life.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11324 on: April 01, 2023, 11:59:29 PM »

Lots of hippies became Republicans later in life.
Do you think masks mandates should have been universally optional during the Delta Surge of 2021?
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 450 451 452 [453] 454 455 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies