COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:50:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 447 448 449 [450] 451 452 453 454 455 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 526358 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11225 on: November 29, 2022, 01:24:50 AM »

It seems like the flu might be "winning" the battle of viral interference this year.  The last two years, the flu was virtually non-existent (even in areas without covid restrictions and where masks were rare).  A popularized theory was the idea of "viral interference", where one highly contagious respiratory virus could crowd out another one.  This year, it seems like the reverse might be true.  The flu- which virtually no Americans have had in nearly three years- is spiking.  Covid cases are not increasing, and are way lower than in previous years.  In Tennessee, syndromic surveillance says that ILI (influenza-like illness) is three times as high as CLI (coronavirus-like illness).  At no point since early 2020 has ILI even been above CLI, except for a few weeks in the spring of 2022 when they were both virtually non-existent.

I don't think it's likely we get a major winter covid wave this year.  But, of course, the flu isn't really any less severe than the Omicron variant of covid.  And, we appear to be getting an early and severe flu season.

It isn't just the flu that is making a comeback this winter -it is also RSV (or Respiratory Syncytial Virus) that is hammering especially the little kids who haven't been exposed to it since the COVID pandemic began:

As RSV Cases Surge, Experts Warn of America’s Worsening ‘Tripledemic’
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11226 on: November 29, 2022, 09:45:42 AM »

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #11227 on: December 05, 2022, 04:17:38 PM »

The United States is moving from "zero COVID" to "zero flu." Now some venues are enacting mask mandates solely because of the flu, not COVID.

This is proof that lockdowns and masks were intended all along to be permanent.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11228 on: December 05, 2022, 04:40:41 PM »

No it's not proof of that lol.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #11229 on: December 06, 2022, 12:07:10 AM »

The United States is moving from "zero COVID" to "zero flu." Now some venues are enacting mask mandates solely because of the flu, not COVID.

I haven't heard of this practice.  Do you have some examples (in the US)?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11230 on: December 06, 2022, 09:55:01 AM »

Some hospitals are reinstating masks because of the flu.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11231 on: December 06, 2022, 09:57:15 AM »

Some hospitals are reinstating masks because of the flu.

If there's one place where mask mandates are understandable, it's a hospital.

On the other hand, LA county has been making noises about bringing back its overarching mask mandate recently...

https://abc7.com/covid-19-indoor-masking-la-county-mask-mandate/12516325/
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11232 on: December 06, 2022, 11:46:41 PM »

It seems like the flu might be "winning" the battle of viral interference this year.  The last two years, the flu was virtually non-existent (even in areas without covid restrictions and where masks were rare).  A popularized theory was the idea of "viral interference", where one highly contagious respiratory virus could crowd out another one.  This year, it seems like the reverse might be true.  The flu- which virtually no Americans have had in nearly three years- is spiking.  Covid cases are not increasing, and are way lower than in previous years.  In Tennessee, syndromic surveillance says that ILI (influenza-like illness) is three times as high as CLI (coronavirus-like illness).  At no point since early 2020 has ILI even been above CLI, except for a few weeks in the spring of 2022 when they were both virtually non-existent.

I don't think it's likely we get a major winter covid wave this year.  But, of course, the flu isn't really any less severe than the Omicron variant of covid.  And, we appear to be getting an early and severe flu season.

Just get vaccinated, and you'll be fine:

Flu vaccine appears to be a very good match to circulating strains, CDC says
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11233 on: December 11, 2022, 11:53:38 AM »

https://www.wxyz.com/news/macomb-county-school-district-closes-friday-due-to-spike-in-illnesses

schools are already being closed. Ugh.. the fights after winter break over school closures will be insane again.

sigh.

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #11234 on: December 11, 2022, 12:15:43 PM »

Absolutely.

If there's one lesson we should learn from the pandemic, it's that if you're sick and you have to be around others, you should wear a mask. It's common courtesy and helps reduce the possibility of getting others sick.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/macomb-county-school-district-closes-friday-due-to-spike-in-illnesses

schools are already being closed. Ugh.. the fights after winter break over school closures will be insane again.

sigh.

I think it's policy almost everywhere to close schools when you reach a certain rate of illness and people not showing up to class.
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11235 on: December 11, 2022, 12:17:56 PM »

Absolutely.

If there's one lesson we should learn from the pandemic, it's that if you're sick and you have to be around others, you should wear a mask. It's common courtesy and helps reduce the possibility of getting others sick.

sigh.

I think it's policy almost everywhere to close schools when you reach a certain rate of illness and people not showing up to class.

I can agree with not going out in public, especially around other people, if you are SICK.

Perhaps I am over reacting, but I do suspect at least one major teachers union will push for closed schools after the winter break.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11236 on: December 11, 2022, 12:18:10 PM »

It happened maybe once or twice because of the flu when I was in school. But it was never more than a few days, and we had some really bad flu outbreaks.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11237 on: December 11, 2022, 12:19:32 PM »

Also, we never, ever, ever were required to wear masks at school. Ever.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11238 on: December 11, 2022, 06:22:29 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2022, 06:25:53 PM by Frodo »

It seems like the flu might be "winning" the battle of viral interference this year.  The last two years, the flu was virtually non-existent (even in areas without covid restrictions and where masks were rare).  A popularized theory was the idea of "viral interference", where one highly contagious respiratory virus could crowd out another one.  This year, it seems like the reverse might be true.  The flu- which virtually no Americans have had in nearly three years- is spiking.  Covid cases are not increasing, and are way lower than in previous years.  In Tennessee, syndromic surveillance says that ILI (influenza-like illness) is three times as high as CLI (coronavirus-like illness).  At no point since early 2020 has ILI even been above CLI, except for a few weeks in the spring of 2022 when they were both virtually non-existent.

I don't think it's likely we get a major winter covid wave this year.  But, of course, the flu isn't really any less severe than the Omicron variant of covid.  And, we appear to be getting an early and severe flu season.

It isn't just the flu that is making a comeback this winter -it is also RSV (or Respiratory Syncytial Virus) that is hammering especially the little kids who haven't been exposed to it since the COVID pandemic began:

As RSV Cases Surge, Experts Warn of America’s Worsening ‘Tripledemic’

----------------------------------------------

Speaking of RSV, I am starting to wonder if I contracted it back in October.  Its symptoms are so much like the common cold that I wonder if I misidentified it then.  Or maybe me contracting the cold has helped insulate me from RSV going forward.  
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11239 on: December 15, 2022, 01:20:53 AM »
« Edited: December 15, 2022, 01:28:03 AM by Frodo »

Excellent timing:

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #11240 on: December 15, 2022, 04:05:32 AM »

I can agree with not going out in public, especially around other people, if you are SICK.

Perhaps I am over reacting, but I do suspect at least one major teachers union will push for closed schools after the winter break.

I'm glad we agree on the first part. And if you have to go out and be around others when you are sick (or suspect that you are), you should absolutely wear a mask.

I do think you are overreacting as to schools. We don't need to be closing schools on a preemptive or widespread basis. Kids do need to be in school. However, if you have 20% of the school out sick at a time, it isn't feasible to keep them open with that rate of absence. Winter break is coming up though, so perhaps that may make a difference. (On the other hand, things could end up being much worst once everyone returns in January.)

I support masking as conditions warrant and we always know this is the worst time of year for infectious respiratory viruses. We have three running around all at once and unfortunately vaccine uptake is quite poor. I know you have an irrational hatred of masking, but it is one of the best tools we have when large portions of the population remain unvaccinated for the current viral strains running rampant (and not just COVID now). If we can't stop the spread of disease, we should at least attempt to mitigate it.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11241 on: December 16, 2022, 01:01:33 PM »

This is not likely to go over well, but they say it's only two weeks.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11242 on: December 16, 2022, 01:15:07 PM »

Two weeks to slow the spread.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11243 on: December 16, 2022, 02:05:37 PM »

To be quite frank, I hope people disobey it.

This mask business has gotten way out of hand.

It'll be 2023, and they're stuck in 2020.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11244 on: December 16, 2022, 02:17:24 PM »

To be quite frank, I hope people disobey it.

This mask business has gotten way out of hand.

It'll be 2023, and they're stuck in 2020.

It's mostly just dumb, because if your kids are sick with post-holidays crud....don't send them to school, masked or not!
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11245 on: December 16, 2022, 02:42:57 PM »

I'm glad we agree on the first part. And if you have to go out and be around others when you are sick (or suspect that you are), you should absolutely wear a mask.

If I can get along with some conservatives here such as Mr. R.. there is no reason for me to be fighting with other liberals.

If you wish to wear a mask, fine. If you are sick you should stay home.

I do think you are overreacting as to schools. We don't need to be closing schools on a preemptive or widespread basis. Kids do need to be in school. However, if you have 20% of the school out sick at a time, it isn't feasible to keep them open with that rate of absence. Winter break is coming up though, so perhaps that may make a difference. (On the other hand, things could end up being much worst once everyone returns in January.)

Philly and some universities are already bringing back MASK mandates. The people cheering on masks and school closures the most I feel like are always people who are very online.  It is easy to sit behind a computer and say, "STAY HOME!!".

Yes, I do take in consideration the political fall out. When Republicans are elected over covid measures, it makes public health take a back seat priority. And the GOP is more likely to cut back on medicaid and health care funding.

I do believe covid measures hurt Democrats a bit in 2020 election. Though I do believe Virginia Governor 2021 was the only major race lost due to predominantly covid measures. I remember seeing some so-called progressives say "we do not need Virginia" after losing that race. What a stupid thought to have from electoral perspective with the structural disadvantages Democrats have. Even though structural disadvantages are easing a bit.

I support masking as conditions warrant and we always know this is the worst time of year for infectious respiratory viruses. We have three running around all at once and unfortunately vaccine uptake is quite poor. I know you have an irrational hatred of masking, but it is one of the best tools we have when large portions of the population remain unvaccinated for the current viral strains running rampant (and not just COVID now). If we can't stop the spread of disease, we should at least attempt to mitigate it.

One of my best traits (or sometimes worse) can be I am very by the book and exact in procedures. Seeing people wearing their masks under their noses, wearing ill fitted n95 masks, wearing the same MASK everyday for MONTHS ... all irked me.. to me, that is literally doing nothing but health theater.

When I wore a MASK I wore it properly over my mouth and NOSE. I had a properly fitted masks as well.

During covid.... there were starkly different levels of restrictions in DC vs Nova.. Nova did not collapse with minimal restrictions.

There were not mass deaths or severe illness of children in schools in Missouri or rural VA.... or anywhere really.

People here forget I took quite a cautious approach to covid in 2020.... but rejected covid zero policies or policies closing  down businesses and schools. I tend to change my mind slowly, if at all, so I was encouraging masking quite late into the game.

If I will get boosters every year... why should I wear a MASK? unless I am actual sick.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11246 on: December 16, 2022, 02:48:27 PM »

I do believe covid measures hurt Democrats a bit in 2020 election. Though I do believe Virginia Governor 2021 was the only major race lost due to predominantly covid measures.

I think Nevada in 2022 was. Some other states came really close.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11247 on: December 16, 2022, 02:54:36 PM »

I do believe covid measures hurt Democrats a bit in 2020 election. Though I do believe Virginia Governor 2021 was the only major race lost due to predominantly covid measures.

Whitmer was definitely vulnerable until the Republicans tripped over fifty rakes on the way to the election. NM was also probably closer than it would have been due to this factor.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11248 on: December 16, 2022, 02:55:52 PM »

Whitmer was definitely vulnerable until the Republicans tripped over fifty rakes on the way to the election. NM was also probably closer than it would have been due to this factor.

New York was the big one. That was almost the upset of the evening.
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11249 on: December 16, 2022, 02:56:15 PM »

yea.. NV and VA were a bit similar in that in fall 2020.. they were more loose than most states. By Nov 2021.. people in VA were pissed off about hysteria and school closures.

By 2022, it was hard for Sisolak to defend casino closures.

Most of the seats in lost in 2022 were basically suburbanites voting for downballot Republicans.

Pages: 1 ... 445 446 447 448 449 [450] 451 452 453 454 455 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies