COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:31:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 440 441 442 [443] 444 445 446 447 448 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 535790 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11050 on: July 29, 2022, 04:51:46 PM »

Thought I had covid a few days ago. Wore a mask outside my apartment (which did suck but it was temporary), stayed indoors when I could, got tested, not really a problem for me.

Because you're not a grown man baby, like a lot of the morons out there. Take precautions when warranted, look out for safety of others. Common sense.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11051 on: July 29, 2022, 07:15:46 PM »

Many school districts are reinstituting MASK mandates as the school year is about to start. Sad.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11052 on: July 29, 2022, 08:53:47 PM »

We missed this piece of news last week:

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11053 on: July 29, 2022, 08:56:00 PM »

Good news, I want another booster.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11054 on: July 29, 2022, 09:03:25 PM »

No surprise that Pfizer did not disappoint:

Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine candidate shown to be 90% effective in early findings
---------------------------

Good news, I want another booster.

I am going to wait a month between getting my annual flu shot and this second booster, like I did last year.  
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11055 on: July 29, 2022, 11:15:06 PM »

Also the number of movies that are focused on the early days of lockdown, that aren't entirely terrible, is increasing.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11056 on: July 29, 2022, 11:42:00 PM »

The article discusses COVID as well as America's failure at healthcare in general.

The concluding lines of the article sum it all up pretty well:

We have no interest in combating this pandemic any longer, nor do we really show any ambition in American competitiveness in saving lives overall. We are happy to live with death. It’s the American way of life.

I am sure you and I can agree on that the United States should have universal health care or at least a public option. I would accept the latter option as sufficient.

But unless we all hide inside the rest of our lives, there is no way to avoid covid. So there is no point in trying to avoid it.

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11057 on: July 29, 2022, 11:47:18 PM »

I agree with that tweet but I'm not sure what the alternative is. Even a worldwide Shanghai style lockdown probably wouldn't eradicate Omicron.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11058 on: July 30, 2022, 04:53:40 AM »

Hopefully this puts an end to all those conspiracy theories about this virus being lab-grown:

New studies bolster theory coronavirus emerged from the wild

If only conspiracy theorists cared about facts, we wouldn't have the lab leak theory in the first place.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11059 on: July 30, 2022, 07:50:42 AM »

Hopefully this puts an end to all those conspiracy theories about this virus being lab-grown:

If only conspiracy theorists cared about facts, we wouldn't have the lab leak theory in the first place.

I don’t see what was wrong with entertaining the idea until we had further info. It was a possibility at least.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11060 on: July 30, 2022, 02:42:30 PM »

I don’t see what was wrong with entertaining the idea until we had further info. It was a possibility at least.

The problem is those who were pitching it treated it as absolute, unquestionable fact from day one. So I doubt confirming it wasn't the case will have any impact on those who still believe it.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11061 on: July 30, 2022, 06:22:37 PM »

The problem is those who were pitching it treated it as absolute, unquestionable fact from day one. So I doubt confirming it wasn't the case will have any impact on those who still believe it.

I think it was a reasonable hypothesis in the beginning. A lab to study coronavirus in the same region the outbreak originated. It’s not that far fetched to think it was a possibility. It should’ve been considered, shouldn’t have been laughed at, and those who wondered about it shouldn’t have been labeled racists.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11062 on: July 30, 2022, 09:29:14 PM »

It was always a longshot anyway, but yes it's good to rule it out.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #11063 on: August 03, 2022, 12:37:06 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2022, 12:42:35 PM by Koharu »

jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11064 on: August 03, 2022, 01:31:34 PM »

Most of them are just hypochondriacs.

The fact that it almost always seems that liberals get sicker with covid proves it.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11065 on: August 03, 2022, 05:04:00 PM »

The fact that it almost always seems that liberals get sicker with covid proves it.

You've lost your mind and are getting as bad with this as the cons with election denial.  And the bold is patently false.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #11066 on: August 03, 2022, 05:31:58 PM »

You've lost your mind and are getting as bad with this as the cons with election denial.  And the bold is patently false.

It might be true about "long covid" (which I suspect is largely psychosomatic).  Most people I know have had covid at least once (many twice), and the only "long covid" I know of anyone having is loss of smell (and that's confined to people who had it in 2020).
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11067 on: August 03, 2022, 07:42:38 PM »

It might be true about "long covid" (which I suspect is largely psychosomatic).  Most people I know have had covid at least once (many twice), and the only "long covid" I know of anyone having is loss of smell (and that's confined to people who had it in 2020).

Long covid is certainly real and mostly tends to involve milder symptoms, rather than anything life-threatening.

But that said, I think it shows we need to have a larger cultural discussion around both mental health impacts of any sort of illness, and how debilitating even 'mild' illnesses can have. One of the primary lingering effects of covid is fatigue (and it's quite likely it can lead to chronic fatigue syndrome) along with sinus problems, something I can say as an allergy sufferer can knock you out of commission--and when they wear you out, they also lead to mental fatigue.

Even with a cold for instance, even though they're not dangerous, the fatigue alone can make it hard to sustain energy for work-related tasks and make mistakes more likely.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #11068 on: August 03, 2022, 09:08:49 PM »

I’m not going to read this article, but the claim that we don’t have “aspiractions to reduce the death toll” of covid seems fundamentally false to me. Isn’t reducing the death toll what the development of variant-specific vaccines is designed to do?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11069 on: August 07, 2022, 08:37:49 PM »

All the covid people who are always frantic and worried about covid are usually 1) the ones who get really sick because of psychological reasons or 2) are the ones least likely to be exposed to it.

Truth is most covid deaths are accompanied by another issue. Know the risks and do what you need to do to protect yourself. Get boosted, wear a n95 mask if appropriate, etc. Do not expect the rest of the world to live in their homes forever without ever leaving their house.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #11070 on: August 09, 2022, 11:51:45 AM »

Many school districts are reinstituting MASK mandates as the school year is about to start. Sad.

So are the national parks.

END THE NATIONAL PARK MASK MANDATE! BURN YOUR MASK! It is not a MASK it is a MUZZLE

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11071 on: August 09, 2022, 02:03:45 PM »

Someone reading this thread would be very confused by sudden the D-CO change if they didn’t pay attention to the usernames.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11072 on: August 09, 2022, 05:33:10 PM »

END THE NATIONAL PARK MASK MANDATE! BURN YOUR MASK! It is not a MASK it is a MUZZLE

Yes... BBUUURRRNNNN THEM ...

It's my birthday today and it would have been a great present if Biden announced a ban on mask mandates nation wide for my birthday .

I know Utah national parks are requiring masks sadly.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #11073 on: August 09, 2022, 05:54:21 PM »

It's my birthday today and it would have been a great present if Biden announced a ban on mask mandates nation wide for my birthday .

The airplane mask mandate got lifted on my birthday.  I believe the National Parks one is tied to the CDC level in the county.  I was super lucky that the weekend I went to Saint Louis (the Arch is actually a National Park) was during the one week since mid-June that St. Louis was in "yellow" instead of "red".

I actually think this Thursday's update is going to see a lot of red counties go down to yellow, with cases falling nationwide, so I wouldn't assume that places will stay that way.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11074 on: August 09, 2022, 05:58:40 PM »

The airplane mask mandate got lifted on my birthday.  I believe the National Parks one is tied to the CDC level in the county.  I was super lucky that the weekend I went to Saint Louis (the Arch is actually a National Park) was during the one week since mid-June that St. Louis was in "orange" instead of "red".

I actually think this Thursday's update is going to see a lot of red counties go down to orange, with cases falling nationwide, so I wouldn't assume that places will stay that way.

The arch being a national park is bullsh**t. There are places in Missouri that would qualify as national parks, but not the damn Arch, and I am a native St. Louisian.

On the days St. Louis was flooding, the post dispatch had stories about covid in the area.
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 440 441 442 [443] 444 445 446 447 448 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies