COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 08:40:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 401 402 403 [404] 405 406 407 408 409 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 547030 times)
compucomp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10075 on: February 13, 2022, 12:23:16 PM »

Was astonished to run across this today. A news organisation literally just posting a moralising, pro-restrictions Twitter thread without any pretence of balance. Enemies of the people indeed.

Wait, so conservatives are in favor of a Fairness Doctrine now? When it would ruin Fox News, right wing talk radio, OANN, Alex Jones, etc?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10076 on: February 13, 2022, 12:37:21 PM »

If Oakvale had his way, anyone who posts anything even remotely pro-mask would be imprisoned for life.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10077 on: February 13, 2022, 12:45:40 PM »

Was astonished to run across this today. A news organisation literally just posting a moralising, pro-restrictions Twitter thread without any pretence of balance. Enemies of the people indeed.

One of my best friends literally has cancer, takes chemo every two weeks and has a multitude of other issues that weaken his immune system too. But he understands that masks were a temporary measure and doesn't throw a tantrum when he sees maskless people at the store like the hypochondriac white chick or neurotic COVID mom in that piece probably do.

It’s hard to agree with you when you call immunocompromised people “hypochondriac white chicks”.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10078 on: February 13, 2022, 12:50:34 PM »

One of my best friends literally has cancer, takes chemo every two weeks and has a multitude of other issues that weaken his immune system too. But he understands that masks were a temporary measure and doesn't throw a tantrum when he sees maskless people at the store like the hypochondriac white chick or neurotic COVID mom in that piece probably do.

It’s hard to agree with you when you call immunocompromised people “hypochondriac white chicks”.
Honestly this just shows Atlas’s underlying sexism. Everything you don’t like is because of the “white chicks” or the “suburban soccer moms” or the “Squad”. Heck, most Atlas Democrats seem to support outright insurrectionists over them. I’m definitely going to be told “oh nooo I like xxx and she’s female” but that’s literally just the “I have black friends” excuse.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10079 on: February 13, 2022, 01:20:12 PM »

Honestly this just shows Atlas’s underlying sexism. Everything you don’t like is because of the “white chicks” or the “suburban soccer moms” or the “Squad”. Heck, most Atlas Democrats seem to support outright insurrectionists over them. I’m definitely going to be told “oh nooo I like xxx and she’s female” but that’s literally just the “I have black friends” excuse.

I’d be far from the first to point out that a lot of people online will say sexist things about “white women” and use their (the women’s) whiteness as a shield.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10080 on: February 13, 2022, 01:23:52 PM »

I’d be far from the first to point out that a lot of people online will say sexist things about “white women” and use their (the women’s) whiteness as a shield.
Oh I know, I’m not accusing you, you’re probably one of the most aware people on here anyways.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10081 on: February 13, 2022, 03:19:01 PM »

Now that Omicron and Delta are in the rear-view mirror, Americans are starting to regain their sense of optimism that the worst of the COVID pandemic is behind us, and that now we can see the end is in sight:

Americans' views of pandemic, economy tick up: poll

GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #10082 on: February 13, 2022, 03:25:55 PM »

There may be some hope yet, as Walmart is dropping its mask mandate for vaccinated employees. Amazon has also discarded the mask mandate for such employees. We may hopefully start to see other "big box" and national employers do the same. I fervently pray that once they are dropped, they don't come back.
I visited my local Walmart today, and while most of the employees still chose to wear masks, only about 1/4 of the shoppers chose to wear masks. It seems like Walmart is moving into "endemic mode" as they have even removed the "masks recommended" sign
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10083 on: February 13, 2022, 03:26:38 PM »

I wouldn't know if this is accurate, but I know for some people the area covered by the mask is less attractive than the rest of their face.

I shouldn't be forced to wear a mask just because of other people's insecurities.

If you think that's what I said, you're an idiot.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10084 on: February 13, 2022, 05:59:43 PM »

Oh I know, I’m not accusing you, you’re probably one of the most aware people on here anyways.

Oh, I know, I was just trying to not take unearned credit.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10085 on: February 13, 2022, 07:00:01 PM »

New Covid Data Show New York Returning to Pre-Omicron Surge Levels
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #10086 on: February 13, 2022, 07:02:33 PM »

It looks like the Super Bowl might be the final nail in the coffin of mask mania.
compucomp

« Reply #10087 on: February 13, 2022, 07:19:09 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2022, 10:25:16 PM by compucomp »

It looks like the Super Bowl might be the final nail in the coffin of mask mania.

Way to make a total non sequitur and take a random cheap shot for no reason.

Edit: You deserved to see your Bengals lose.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10088 on: February 13, 2022, 10:09:07 PM »

Los Angeles is, in theory, under a mask mandate. The local mask ordinance requires masks at all gatherings of this size. Every fan was provided with a KN95.

And no one complied. We're done, it's over. America is BACK.
compucomp

« Reply #10089 on: February 13, 2022, 10:49:18 PM »

Los Angeles is, in theory, under a mask mandate. The local mask ordinance requires masks at all gatherings of this size. Every fan was provided with a KN95.

What a piece of work you are, celebrating a picture of utter moral degeneracy. But I'll tell you something, the mandates might be going away for now, but it's not over. We will never surrender to the likes of you. We will continue to wear masks as long as COVID remains a threat, which it does. We form a substantial portion of the population and you will see us in public. It triggers you to see masking in public? Well that's just too damn bad, you'll just have to deal with it.

Oh by the way, the pandemic is far from over and COVID will come back in force. Mask mandates will come back. My bet remains open to any takers.

You seem quite confident in this. If you really think that people who continue to take COVID seriously are insane, then put your money where your mouth is. At this moment, the 7 day average of COVID hospitalizations as tracked by the CDC is 91,650. I make you a bet. If this number ever reaches 100,000 before Jan. 1, 2023, then you leave the forum for a year. If it doesn't, then I leave the forum for a year. Deal or no deal?

Fine Print: If any state or the CDC stops reporting COVID cases or hospitalizations, then the bet is cancelled. If the standard for COVID hospitalization, which is presently "Counts of new admissions and hospitalized patients with confirmed COVID-19", changes the bet is cancelled. The page says "based on reporting from all hospitals (N = 5266)", if this number drops below 5000, the bet is cancelled.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#hospitalizations
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10090 on: February 14, 2022, 12:14:20 AM »

Wow. THIS is one of the biggest problems in our society these days... fake libertarianism. People that don't understand or care what freedom / libertarianism means. The football stadium is not a public space, it's private property. The stadium has obligations involving municipal / state / federal laws. In theory (but maybe not in practice) they are liable legally for a stadium full of maskless customers. My parents always taught me that you follow the rules of the house when you visit somewhere. It's their freedom to set their own rules, outside of those they are legally required to set. The stadium has the right to remove people that won't wear a mask... can you imagine the temper tantrums if that had actually happened? People going into the stadium, igmoring the rules, getting kicked out and then melting down. This is childish behaviour and yet millions of North Americans think and act this way. It's pathetic.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10091 on: February 14, 2022, 12:17:55 AM »

As I've said many times before, no one is saying that you can't wear masks in public, or that you should be forbidden from doing so. But it seems that the majority of Americans are done with masking at this point. Where I live, the numbers of maskless have been increasing again over the past weeks. The breakdown is probably close to 70% maskless, 30% masked at this point. It's obvious that there's going to be a substantial contingent of people continuing to mask up, possibly for several months or years more, but it should not be mandated at this point. Those who favor perpetual mask mandates seem to have forgotten that mask mandates did not become widespread when the Spanish Flu ended. We went nearly a century without them.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10092 on: February 14, 2022, 12:19:17 AM »

In the controlled environment of schools, masks do work. In the real world where mask mandates have exceptions for food/drink establishments and private gatherings, most spread happens there and it looks like the mask mandate is not effective.

So it works in military dictatorships, not in liberal democracies.

You are single-handedly invalidating the entire anti-mask mandate argument with these idiotic, zero braincell comparisons.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #10093 on: February 14, 2022, 12:21:28 AM »

Oh by the way, the pandemic is far from over and COVID will come back in force. Mask mandates will come back. My bet remains open to any takers.

It is why Republicans should put up ballot measures in blue states that ban the government from having the power to implement mask mandates.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10094 on: February 14, 2022, 12:40:30 AM »

Wow. THIS is one of the biggest problems in our society these days... fake libertarianism. People that don't understand or care what freedom / libertarianism means. The football stadium is not a public space, it's private property. The stadium has obligations involving municipal / state / federal laws. In theory (but maybe not in practice) they are liable legally for a stadium full of maskless customers. My parents always taught me that you follow the rules of the house when you visit somewhere. It's their freedom to set their own rules, outside of those they are legally required to set. The stadium has the right to remove people that won't wear a mask... can you imagine the temper tantrums if that had actually happened? People going into the stadium, igmoring the rules, getting kicked out and then melting down. This is childish behaviour and yet millions of North Americans think and act this way. It's pathetic.

If enough people ignore the rules, the rules go away. You can't kick out 95% of the stadium. Face it, masks are on their way out, rates are crashing, and we're moving on.

Good on these patriots for not letting the hygiene Nazis ruin a fun night.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10095 on: February 14, 2022, 01:09:03 AM »

It is why Republicans should put up ballot measures in blue states that ban the government from having the power to implement mask mandates.
This is an EXTREMELY stupid measure, when you don't know what kind of pandemic is right around the corner.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10096 on: February 14, 2022, 01:13:32 AM »

If enough people ignore the rules, the rules go away. You can't kick out 95% of the stadium. Face it, masks are on their way out, rates are crashing, and we're moving on.

If you're against law and order and rule of law, that's your prerogative, but I do NOT want to hear you claiming otherwise or see you whining about a lack of law and order in another thread sometime in the future. I no longer have patience or tolerance for people that claim to believe in something when it's convenient for them but then suddenly no longer believe in it when it no longer fits their narrative.

Also, "patriots" is a really cringe way to describe these people.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10097 on: February 14, 2022, 01:30:14 AM »

If you're against law and order and rule of law, that's your prerogative, but I do NOT want to hear you claiming otherwise or see you whining about a lack of law and order in another thread sometime in the future. I no longer have patience or tolerance for people that claim to believe in something when it's convenient for them but then suddenly no longer believe in it when it no longer fits their narrative.
You say you "oppose murder" and "support the rule of law," and yet you do not support strict enforcement of Los Angeles County Health Officer's Order § 11(c)(ii). Hypocrisy much??
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10098 on: February 14, 2022, 01:40:26 AM »

You say you "oppose murder" and "support the rule of law," and yet you do not support strict enforcement of Los Angeles County Health Officer's Order § 11(c)(ii). Hypocrisy much??
If you enter a private establishment and ignore the rules (some of which may be decided by the establishment and some of which may be decided by the government), there is SOME chance that you will be denied service and asked to leave, and you can't complain about it because it was your choice to ignore the conditions of service. It doesn't make you a patriot, it makes you a problem customer. Had some people been thrown out, they would have had ZERO right to complain about it.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10099 on: February 14, 2022, 01:50:59 AM »

Also, "patriots" is a really cringe way to describe these people.

Not as cringe as calling it "utter moral degeneracy"
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 401 402 403 [404] 405 406 407 408 409 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies