WV - Strategies Unlimited/WV First (D-ish): Justice +6%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:40:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  WV - Strategies Unlimited/WV First (D-ish): Justice +6%
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WV - Strategies Unlimited/WV First (D-ish): Justice +6%  (Read 3409 times)
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2020, 09:14:30 AM »

https://www.newsandsentinel.com/news/local-news/2020/10/second-poll-shows-even-tighter-race-for-west-virginia-governor

September 26-30
600 likely voters
MoE: 4%

I'm not sure WV First is a Democratic outfit, but they are anti-Jim Justice.

Justice (R-inc.) 46%
Salango (D) 40%
Lutz Jr. (Mountain) 5%
Undecided 8%
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 09:16:13 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2020, 10:11:43 AM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

Getting smaller and smaller
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 09:32:27 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2020, 09:43:04 AM by EastOfEden »

The amount of downballot strength that Democrats retain in WV is pretty remarkable.

It's clear that they want to vote Democrat and feel like they can't because of coal jobs.

Somebody get some tech companies into McDowell County, quick. Silicon Holler.
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 09:33:57 AM »

The amount of downballot strength that Democrats retain in WV is pretty remarkable.

It's clear that they want to vote Democrat and feel like they can't because of coal jobs.

I also wonder how much abortion/guns have to do with it.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 09:44:57 AM »

The Democratic Party has supported abortion rights and increased gun control for decades now. The opposition to coal is more recent. I think it's pretty clear.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 10:01:07 AM »

The Democratic Party has supported abortion rights and increased gun control for decades now. The opposition to coal is more recent. I think it's pretty clear.

There are also going to be big generational components.  Imagine you are about 35 in West Virginia right now.  Your dad (say, 60) has always voted Democratic, but he's voted Republican at the top of the ballot for years.  Your grandpa (say, 85) just voted for Romney as his first Republican ever, but he cannot imagine that anyone would EVER vote Republican for local offices in his good ole West Virginia.  HIS dad, somehow still alive at age 110, has never voted and will never vote for a Republican, but all of his friends who feel the same are dead.

The 35-year old no doubt has some nostalgia for the "right kind of Democrat," but it's going to be less than his dad's; I mean, he barely got to vote for Robert Byrd once, right?  Both are going to be less than the grandpa, and the great grandpa's attitudes toward the GOP are literally dying every day.  There are certainly many Democrats in WV who'd pull the trigger for a pro-coal Democrat still, and I think they'd certainly be able to propel such a figure to victory in the right environment.  However, there are fewer of them each year.  The 35-year old's kid likely has literally no sentimentality about "local Democrats" at all, to the extent he understands any politics, lol.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 10:21:57 AM »

Interesting that the Mountain Party (basically WV Greens) is polling that high.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 10:30:52 AM »

There are also going to be big generational components.  Imagine you are about 35 in West Virginia right now.  Your dad (say, 60) has always voted Democratic, but he's voted Republican at the top of the ballot for years.  Your grandpa (say, 85) just voted for Romney as his first Republican ever, but he cannot imagine that anyone would EVER vote Republican for local offices in his good ole West Virginia.  HIS dad, somehow still alive at age 110, has never voted and will never vote for a Republican, but all of his friends who feel the same are dead.

The 35-year old no doubt has some nostalgia for the "right kind of Democrat," but it's going to be less than his dad's; I mean, he barely got to vote for Robert Byrd once, right?  Both are going to be less than the grandpa, and the great grandpa's attitudes toward the GOP are literally dying every day.  There are certainly many Democrats in WV who'd pull the trigger for a pro-coal Democrat still, and I think they'd certainly be able to propel such a figure to victory in the right environment.  However, there are fewer of them each year.  The 35-year old's kid likely has literally no sentimentality about "local Democrats" at all, to the extent he understands any politics, lol.

The 35 yr olds that you speak of have left WV.  I mean McDowell cast 34,000 votes in 1952 and like 6,000 in 2016.  And aside from Morgantown and the Eastern Panhandle, the population pyramids are way out of whack, everybody over 50.  It's just an extreme situation.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 02:02:13 PM »

^ Okay, well I think you probably could have hypothesized a small number of 35-year olds who have remained in West Virginia for the sake of what we were talking about, rather than yet again practically take pleasure in pointing out the state's decline.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 02:19:58 PM »

They got 5.9% in the 2016 gubernatorial election so they seem to have a strong base.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 08:53:26 PM »

Titanium Mountain Party gain.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 10:38:47 PM »

^ Okay, well I think you probably could have hypothesized a small number of 35-year olds who have remained in West Virginia for the sake of what we were talking about, rather than yet again practically take pleasure in pointing out the state's decline.

Fine, the 35 yr olds left think like you say and then gets on his ATV, has a beer and a little meth and drives around shooting his gun in the air til he drives off a cliff.  Better?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 11:19:46 PM »

I can see in a blue wave MO and WVA going D for Gov
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 11:22:52 PM »

The 35 yr olds that you speak of have left WV.  I mean McDowell cast 34,000 votes in 1952 and like 6,000 in 2016.  And aside from Morgantown and the Eastern Panhandle, the population pyramids are way out of whack, everybody over 50.  It's just an extreme situation.

It was amazing how Hillary managed to get the fewest votes statewide of any Democrat in the century since women got the right to vote.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2020, 09:15:18 AM »

Fine, the 35 yr olds left think like you say and then gets on his ATV, has a beer and a little meth and drives around shooting his gun in the air til he drives off a cliff.  Better?

No.
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2020, 09:19:54 AM »

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2020/10/08/hyperloop-West-Virginia-Virgin-Hyperloop-One-certificiation-facility-WVU/stories/202010080163

Richard Branson is building a hyperloop testing facility in West Virginia, which is likely to create thousands of new jobs. I wonder if this could be the start of a new trend, where tech companies start building facilities in places like West Virginia.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2020, 09:28:57 AM »

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2020, 09:59:09 PM »

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2020/10/08/hyperloop-West-Virginia-Virgin-Hyperloop-One-certificiation-facility-WVU/stories/202010080163

Richard Branson is building a hyperloop testing facility in West Virginia, which is likely to create thousands of new jobs. I wonder if this could be the start of a new trend, where tech companies start building facilities in places like West Virginia.

It's supposed to create 1000 construction jobs and about 100 permanent jobs (mostly connected with WVU presumably).  WV already has a surprising number of these things thanks to their emptiness and previous Senator.  Still, it's a nice thing to have.   Obviously, the Morgantown area and Eastern Panhandle have the kind of things necessary to attract something like this.  It's a much heavier lift to get any type of project off the ground in the rest of the state.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2020, 04:38:59 PM »

Ancestral Democrats who largely ignored those issues and/or didn't but still saw Democrats as better anyway are dying out though. Current West Virginians are more likely to not only be socially conservative, but vote like it. Note West Virginia is not a particularly religious state, certainly not compared to the Deep South, but it's still socially conservative. There's also things like immigration, not even just abortion and guns. And yes, obviously coal is a large part of it, probably the single largest but there's more to it than just coal.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2020, 04:44:29 PM »

Yes! We need more of this. WV has so much potential.

They need to make sure it's spread around the state, though. Don't turn WV into Morgantown + empty mountains.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2020, 12:08:39 PM »

They got 5.9% in the 2016 gubernatorial election so they seem to have a strong base.

I wonder if, with enough effort, they could get some sort of state legislative seat or local office in one of the more Dem friendly counties; though I guess those are still too right wing for that.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2020, 12:13:32 PM »

I wonder if, with enough effort, they could get some sort of state legislative seat or local office in one of the more Dem friendly counties; though I guess those are still too right wing for that.

Theres a woke 60% Clinton seat in Charleston proper.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2020, 08:41:52 AM »

Yes! We need more of this. WV has so much potential.

They need to make sure it's spread around the state, though. Don't turn WV into Morgantown + empty mountains.

I mean that is a pretty common issue for most rural-ish states, not just WV. The economic opportunities are continuing to be more concentrated in the handful of desirable cities and towns in those states.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2020, 11:35:52 PM »

New Poll: West Virginia Governor by Other Source on 2020-09-30

Summary: D: 40%, R: 46%, U: 8%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length