bush beat himself in 2000.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:08:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  bush beat himself in 2000.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: bush beat himself in 2000.  (Read 8488 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2006, 06:00:54 PM »

the dole campaign did make pushes for states like connecticut, new hampshire, new jersey and pennsylvania.

Conneticut and New Jersey? That was even more foolish idea than trying for California.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2006, 06:04:26 PM »

the dole campaign did make pushes for states like connecticut, new hampshire, new jersey and pennsylvania.

Conneticut and New Jersey? That was even more foolish idea than trying for California.

in hindsight, that may be true.

however, at the time, it didnt seem that radical.  ct and nj were relatively close in 1992.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2006, 06:11:47 PM »

however, at the time, it didnt seem that radical.  ct and nj were relatively close in 1992.

They were close but did the Dole people think that they could actually make it close in left leaning states against a popular incumbent Democratic President?
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2006, 06:15:19 PM »

Connecticut is small and usually within single digits.  No reason not to hit it if in the Northeast.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2006, 06:16:22 PM »

They were close but did the Dole people think that they could actually make it close in left leaning states against a popular incumbent Democratic President?

im sure deep down the dole people knew it was going to be an uphill struggle to win the election.  therefore, theyd have to pull off some upsets (like ct and nj).  i guess those two states seemed easier to win than ca.

i do remember dole and kemp touring california after kemp's selection.  but, if memory serves, the convention was in san diego, so they didnt go out of their way.

the dole victory map always included states like pa, nh, nj, oh, mo and ct.

from what ive heard and read, christine todd whitman was strongly consider for vp to help bring in nj and some of the northeast.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2006, 06:21:55 PM »

this is something like the dole people had in mind:

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2006, 07:06:23 AM »

The state went Rep by 3.5 points or so.
4 years later, both camps threw money at the state like there was no tomorrow. The state went Rep by 1.5 points or so.

Bush 50.82% - Kerry 48.71% = 2.11%
Yeah, I didn't check the figures before posting. At least I got 2000 right. Smiley Still, that's even better for the point I was making.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2006, 07:10:34 AM »

CT isn't really what I'd call left-leaning. Democrat-leaning, yes.

Delaware should be Rep on your 96 map, Walt. Even the 2000 Bush people were apparently *shocked* at how big Gore won it.

One more note on California - I think Bush's campaigning there actually drove Gore's margin up, not just by keeping Dems from staying at home (which may have cost the GOP House seats as well, btw), but by scaring Nader supporters into going back to Gore.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2006, 12:19:14 PM »

Delaware should be Rep on your 96 map, Walt. Even the 2000 Bush people were apparently *shocked* at how big Gore won it.

One more note on California - I think Bush's campaigning there actually drove Gore's margin up, not just by keeping Dems from staying at home (which may have cost the GOP House seats as well, btw), but by scaring Nader supporters into going back to Gore.

there is one thing a lot of people dont realize about DE, there are a lot of blacks there.  that factor alone likely tips the scales to the dems.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2006, 12:24:55 PM »

there is one thing a lot of people dont realize about DE, there are a lot of blacks there.  that factor alone likely tips the scales to the dems.
I know that - but it was Rep in 88, it wasn't all that lopsided in 92, and Reps did hope to retake it someday. The fact that until 2000 (or 2004 depending who you talk to Smiley ) it was the longest-running bellwether also had to something with it.
(Of course the numbers of Black Republicans hemorrhaged in the early 90s, and haven't ever recovered, from about 18% to about 10%... which may help explain why the state became more Democratic.)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2006, 12:47:47 PM »

I know that - but it was Rep in 88, it wasn't all that lopsided in 92, and Reps did hope to retake it someday. The fact that until 2000 (or 2004 depending who you talk to Smiley ) it was the longest-running bellwether also had to something with it.
(Of course the numbers of Black Republicans hemorrhaged in the early 90s, and haven't ever recovered, from about 18% to about 10%... which may help explain why the state became more Democratic.)

hasnt it also become just a big suburb of philly?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2006, 12:49:07 PM »

That was already true in 88.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2006, 12:51:51 PM »

Bush knew he had the media on his side, and he got arrogant. He was spending millions of dollars on California. Gore's polls were showing that he should win it, but eventually Gore decided to do one campaign stop in California (I don't think he spent any money here, though).

The Gore campaign only outspent the Bush campaign in one state: Florida. Bush knew he could count on his younger brother to deliver it.

It's always funny when they call California for the Democrat immediately when polls close, because the first precincts to report are always some wingnut ones in Orange county or somewhere.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2006, 08:06:04 PM »

yes and hw bush did well in suburbia.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2006, 06:21:14 AM »

yes and hw bush did well in suburbia.
Exactly ... as did Gore in 2000. Dole clearly didn't do as good in suburbia as the Gore people thought he would, though.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2006, 10:43:43 AM »

I love how people say Bush beat himself in 2000 when he actually did win the election. Well not in the mind of wingnuts like JFraud but you all know he really did with the recounts.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2006, 12:19:06 PM »

Bush knew the media was on his side so he could rest secure in the knowledge they would never report about his DUI record.

Oh, wait a minute . . .
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies