South Carolina Democrat's 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:27:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  South Carolina Democrat's 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South Carolina Democrat's 2020  (Read 597 times)
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2020, 06:55:48 PM »

I don't know how many of y'all care about South Carolina politics, but it's bad for the Democrats. Loosing Joe Cunningham, as well as seats in both chambers. Vincent Shaheen, Mandy Powers Norrell, and Laurie Funderburk among them. Everyone knows Jaime Harrison lost, but its worst then just loosing. He lost ground in many former democratic counties compared to 2014 and the counties were democrats were supposedly making gains (ex. Greenville) the results were basically the same, I know a lot of people expected SC to become more competitive, but it's going in the opposite direction.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 06:58:34 PM »

Damn, Shaheen lost? that sucks.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 07:29:18 PM »

I expected an ugly long-term trend in SC for a while but Harrison underperforming Biden was pretty shocking.

It seems pretty clear to me from all this that the suburban strategy probably isn't viable. I expect them to become more loyal to Democrats downballot, but that just isn't a valuable tradeoff for WWC downballot support and Hispanic down allot support.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 03:38:24 AM »

I expected an ugly long-term trend in SC for a while but Harrison underperforming Biden was pretty shocking.

It seems pretty clear to me from all this that the suburban strategy probably isn't viable. I expect them to become more loyal to Democrats downballot, but that just isn't a valuable tradeoff for WWC downballot support and Hispanic down allot support.

Harrison did slightly better than him.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 03:41:47 AM »

I don't know how many of y'all care about South Carolina politics, but it's bad for the Democrats. Loosing Joe Cunningham, as well as seats in both chambers. Vincent Shaheen, Mandy Powers Norrell, and Laurie Funderburk among them. Everyone knows Jaime Harrison lost, but its worst then just loosing. He lost ground in many former democratic counties compared to 2014 and the counties were democrats were supposedly making gains (ex. Greenville) the results were basically the same, I know a lot of people expected SC to become more competitive, but it's going in the opposite direction.

That never made any sense, SC has been one of the most static state from a political perspective.
The problem for SC democrats is that they don't really have the equivalent of Atlanta or even Charlotte so by definition their growth perspectives are very limited.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 09:24:46 PM »

That never made any sense, SC has been one of the most static state from a political perspective.
The problem for SC democrats is that they don't really have the equivalent of Atlanta or even Charlotte so by definition their growth perspectives are very limited.

South Carolina does have some of the fastest growing counties (Horry and Greenville) in America. I’m not even 20 but I’ve definitely noticed significant growth in both areas. The issue is, unlike Charlotte (which some dems hoped would bleed over the border to help us) and Atlanta is that Horry and Greenville were never democratic. In fact Greenville was home to the few republicans in the stats pre-LBJ. We got the trend backwards. Our democratic areas are mostly shrinking while the republicans ones grow.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 06:11:52 AM »

South Carolina does have some of the fastest growing counties (Horry and Greenville) in America. I’m not even 20 but I’ve definitely noticed significant growth in both areas. The issue is, unlike Charlotte (which some dems hoped would bleed over the border to help us) and Atlanta is that Horry and Greenville were never democratic. In fact Greenville was home to the few republicans in the stats pre-LBJ. We got the trend backwards. Our democratic areas are mostly shrinking while the republicans ones grow.

Yeah and it's not like if Horry was growing because of an influx of outstate black / white progressives, like it is the case of Atlanta.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 06:23:26 AM »

There's that Lincoln Project ad basically bullying Sen. Graham calling him a crybaby, and Sen. Graham begging for money on Fox News. Lots of educated suburban women saw that ad and felt sorry for poor Sen. Graham, forgetting the many times they were persuaded by similar R ads targeting good Democratic candidates both competitive and hopeless. Double standards.

Cunningham losing really came out of nowhere. A problem is that in the deep south people don't care about community or the vulnerable and aren't willing to do things like wear masks. So anti-mask sentiment played a part, and so did anti-science sentiment as the south is weaker on science. And because the Dems are the party of masks and science...
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 03:31:15 PM »

Update; Gov. McMaster says that because of expanded majorities in both chambers that it’s likely they’re gonna try and pass (and probably succeed) a heartbeat bill
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 09:11:41 AM »

Update; Gov. McMaster says that because of expanded majorities in both chambers that it’s likely they’re gonna try and pass (and probably succeed) a heartbeat bill

Joy. Our state gets to waste money in pointless court cases.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies