Which of these terms are sexist when applied to a female candidate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:38:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Which of these terms are sexist when applied to a female candidate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Of these adjectives, which are inherently sexist if used to describe a woman?
Bossy

Naggy

B*tchy

Condescending

Sassy

Whiny

Nasty

Annoying

Shrill

Obnoxious

Rehearsed

Evasive

Snarky

Abrasive

Calculated

Patronizing

Snobby

Stuck-up

Disagreeable

Unpleasant

None of the Above

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of these terms are sexist when applied to a female candidate?  (Read 1115 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2020, 01:51:31 PM »

Interestingly, my generically-center-left father is more uncomfortable with calling women bitches than is my "it came from the 70s!" second-wave feminist mother, so clearly there isn't a 1:1 correspondence between levels of misogyny and levels of comfort with some of these words.

I think you’re overthinking it, your dad is uncomfortable saying it because he’s a man and it would be sexist if he said it, and your mother is a woman so it’s fine for her to say it.

The identity group of the user does not define the intent behind the word.

Intent isn't really relevant for stuff like that.

Intent is literally all that matters when determining whether or not a person is prejudiced.

Not really? Because unconscious bias is definitely a thing.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2020, 02:23:42 PM »

Interestingly, my generically-center-left father is more uncomfortable with calling women bitches than is my "it came from the 70s!" second-wave feminist mother, so clearly there isn't a 1:1 correspondence between levels of misogyny and levels of comfort with some of these words.

I think you’re overthinking it, your dad is uncomfortable saying it because he’s a man and it would be sexist if he said it, and your mother is a woman so it’s fine for her to say it.

Intent is literally all that matters when determining whether or not a person is prejudiced.

Even assuming this is true, that doesn't qualify you to interpret another person's statement as though you know the inner workings of their psyche better than they do. I know this might come as a shock to modern leftists, but in ancient history there was once a concept called the "presumption of innocence," which gave the speaker the benefit of the doubt and prevented others from automatically interpreting their words in the most malicious way possible. I understand that this norm has been dead for eons, but reviving it could prove beneficial to our national discourse.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2020, 07:48:00 PM »

Even assuming this is true, that doesn't qualify you to interpret another person's statement as though you know the inner workings of their psyche better than they do. I know this might come as a shock to modern leftists, but in ancient history there was once a concept called the "presumption of innocence," which gave the speaker the benefit of the doubt and prevented others from automatically interpreting their words in the most malicious way possible. I understand that this norm has been dead for eons, but reviving it could prove beneficial to our national discourse.

"Bitch" is obviously not even close to being as severe, but would you agree that the n-word is inherently racist for non-Black people to use (the one exception being actors)? 
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2020, 08:41:01 PM »

"Bitch" is obviously not even close to being as severe, but would you agree that the n-word is inherently racist for non-Black people to use (the one exception being actors)? 

Of course not. Some people of other races genuinely become close enough friends with a black person that they feel comfortable using that term with one another. Like how I used to call my Mexican roommate a "beaner" while he called me a "pasty gringo."
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2020, 09:32:22 PM »

Of course not. Some people of other races genuinely become close enough friends with a black person that they feel comfortable using that term with one another. Like how I used to call my Mexican roommate a "beaner" while he called me a "pasty gringo."

You're unironically using the n-word pass defense?

I have never experienced anything like this in my entire life, and don't know anyone who has.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2020, 09:43:53 PM »

I have never experienced anything like this in my entire life, and don't know anyone who has.

You're unironically choosing to be offended on behalf of people who aren't offended themselves?

Make some nonwhite friends and I'm sure you'll experience this.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2020, 10:06:59 PM »

This isn't a novel definition in this thread, but a good criterion is some combination of "what proportion of the time is this meant as a detraction, and how often is it applied to men," and "is this rooted in gendered stereotypes." Using these fuzzy guidelines, I voted

Bossy
Naggy
B*tchy
Sassy
Shrill
Disagreeable

There are a few extra terms on the list that I think are rooted in sexist gendered norms, but are applied to men enough that I think simply calling them "sexist" is a little coarse and incomplete.

Maybe there's some correlation, but I've seen plenty of left-wing activists using that word (and worse) against women they dislike.

Misogyny and the praxis of "leftism" are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

And for the record, men are often told to "quit bitching" or words to that effect,

Arguably (and I think the case is strong) this phrase is tied to sexism - the stereotype of women as weak, particular, shrill, and complaining. Compare with the male-associated gendered role of person who doesn't complain, tolerates pain, is stoically emotionless, etc. When people say "quit bitching" the very obvious implication is that they are (and should stop) acting like a woman.

whereas-- for example-- I have never heard a woman referred to as an "asshole" in my life. So interestingly, I think that word might be more "gendered" in terms of usage than "bitch."

I completely agree with this. Asshole and dick are very obviously gendered insults. This is part of why I find the discourse on "gendered terms" (or at the very least its implications) less than completely enlightening.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2020, 10:51:20 PM »

You're unironically choosing to be offended on behalf of people who aren't offended themselves?

Make some nonwhite friends and I'm sure you'll experience this.

Lol what is this weird assertion that I don't have non-white friends just because you found the one guy who is okay with you saying it?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies