HB 26-13: Urban Investment and Redevelopment Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:34:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 26-13: Urban Investment and Redevelopment Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: HB 26-13: Urban Investment and Redevelopment Act (Passed)  (Read 2213 times)
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2021, 03:54:03 PM »

I think we need to define underperforming public schools and tax incentives before we can submit this to the Comptroller. We're also in difficult straits with the budget so maybe that will factor into this.

Could an adequate definition for underperfroming public schools involve a graduation rate aspect? Maybe we could form a committee that determines which schools are underperforming based on some combination of that, test scores, and poverty in the area.

For tax incentives, I'm extremely unfamiliar with how much credits are usually appropiate for this situation, but I'm guessing something like 2.5% for businesses in general and 3.5% (or an addditional 1%) for businesses owned by residents of UEADs could be appropriate. Someone with more knowledge in this area can correct me if these are too high or too low.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2021, 04:20:39 PM »

What about bottom 20 percentile schools?
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2021, 04:38:58 PM »

That's also fine. Is there an organization that defines that, though, and what methodology do they use?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2021, 04:50:15 PM »

That's also fine. Is there an organization that defines that, though, and what methodology do they use?

I'm not sure how it's done here, in the USA each state has its own method for determining that stuff.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2021, 05:14:01 PM »

I'm not sure how it's done here, in the USA each state has its own method for determining that stuff.
20th percentile is fine then. Proposing an amendment to that end:

AN ACT
To assist impoverished Atlasians and secure a better future for our posterity.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

Section I. Title
i. The long title of this bill shall be the "Urban Investment and Redevelopment Act."

Section II. Definitions
i. Urban area is defined as a MSA with over 500,000 residents as of the most recently completed Census.
ii. Underperforming public schools are defined as publicly funded schools in the bottom twentieth percentile, as defined by the state they are located in.

Section III. Creation of Urban Economic Action Districts
i. Regional and local governments may apply to the Department of Housing and Urban Development for urban areas or designated portions of urban areas to be designated as Urban Economic Action District (UEAD).
     a. For an area to be designated a UEAD, the median household income must be below the national median household income, and the percentage of households receiving federal assistance such as SNAP must exceed 20%.
     b. Once designated, a UEAD retains its status for five years.
     c. A UEAD may be renewed if it still meets the requirements after five years, however The Department of Housing and Urban Development shall launch an inquiry to determine why renewal was necessary.
ii. The Department of Housing and Urban Development shall work with financial institutions to create loan programs to benefit UEADs.

Section IV. Programs for Urban Economic Action Districts
i. Businesses that open new locations within UEADs shall receive (tax incentives) for the new location for up to three tax years.
ii. Businesses within UEADs owned by residents of the UEAD are eligible to apply to receive (tax incentives) for up to three tax years.
iii. Businesses receiving (tax incentives) shall also be exempt from employer-paid payroll taxes on new hires that are residents of the UEAD for up to one tax year.

Section V. Food Desert Prevention Program for Healthy Kids
i. Full-service grocery stores within UEADs can offer a 25% reduction to SNAP and WIC beneficiaries to be reimbursed by the federal government.
ii. A package of pots, pans, utensils, measuring cups, and a cookbook will be offered to all SNAP and WIC beneficiaries.
     a. The Department of Housing and Urban Development will sponsor cooking classes in UEADs every two months.

Section VI. Deconstruction of Blighted Areas
i. UEADs may apply for grant funds to be used for the purpose of deconstructing and rebuilding blighted areas, with the consent of current residents of the affected blighted areas.
     a. UEADs may apply for grant funds to create public parks and housing developments in formerly blighted areas.
ii. All uses of grant funds shall be subject to Department of Housing and Urban Development oversight.

Section VII. Public School Improvements
i. Underperforming public schools can offer up to 33% higher pay to new teacher hires to be covered by the federal government.
     a. The 33% shall apply to the standard starting salary for the school district at the time of the UEAD designation.
ii. Underperforming public schools more than twenty years old may apply for grant funds for school improvements.
     a. Grant funds may be used for classroom remodels, new equipment, or other maintenance or improvements.
     b. All uses of grant funds shall be subject to Department of Education oversight.

Section VIII. Appropriations
i. (TBD)

Once the House gives feedback on the tax incentives, we should be able to amend that in then submit to the Comptroller for an estimate.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2021, 05:14:33 PM »

Amendment is friendly. 24 hours to object.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2021, 02:01:55 AM »

As the third member of that 1/3 of the House, let me stick my nose in further.

So full disclosure: I sent this to the Comptroller to be costed some time ago and received an assurance that it would be examined some time after New Year's. I think we can fairly assume, with [gestures wildly at RL], that that hasn't been done yet, so just remember to drop a PM updating them if the bill is amended in such a way as to help with that task.

Aside from that, this is an appropriate amendment that should clarify a key point in the bill and improve its working. I'm happy to support it.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2021, 08:47:02 AM »

The amendment is adopted. Debate resumes.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2021, 11:37:56 AM »

So, uhh, does anyone with more knowledge on tax breaks want to suggest the rates for those in this bill?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2021, 08:20:26 PM »

My personal advice would be for you to just cost things yourselves. You don't need to have the estimate be perfect, even a super rough one is good enough.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2021, 10:56:36 PM »

Why would a district need to apply for the creation of a public park?
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2021, 07:24:34 AM »

I propose an amendment that all acronyms within this bill be explained/defined.

As I have already ticked someone off previously from not previewing a post, I want to emphasize that I am not attacking the drafter of this bill. For best practice and the readability of this bill and future bills can ALL acronyms please be formatted as either "Letters of the Acronym (LotA)" or LotA (Letters of the Acronym)". As many acronyms that have been in "common usage "(in government) at one time, times change. It is best practice to ensure that acronyms are spelt out in full the first time they are used. Or at the very least are explained in the "definitions" or a "glossary".

Urban area is defined as a MSA
What is an MSA? This isn't defined in the definitions section of this bill.
Both "SNAP" and "WIC" aren't defined either.

UEAD is defined using the "Letters of the Acronym (LotA)" method.

Bills should be understandable for most people (preferably all but that's impossible in practice). Not the purview of a clique in the know about the lingo. I'm sure this isn't intentional. But speaking as someone who had read a lot of documents where acronyms both are and aren't explained. It frustrating when they aren't. Its best practice to have them explained.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2021, 10:48:42 AM »

Both "SNAP" and "WIC" aren't defined either

MSA is metropolitan statistical area and SNAP is a food stamp program ran by Agriculture, forgot what the full name is
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2021, 12:07:35 AM »

I propose an amendment that all acronyms within this bill be explained/defined.

As I have already ticked someone off previously from not previewing a post, I want to emphasize that I am not attacking the drafter of this bill. For best practice and the readability of this bill and future bills can ALL acronyms please be formatted as either "Letters of the Acronym (LotA)" or LotA (Letters of the Acronym)". As many acronyms that have been in "common usage "(in government) at one time, times change. It is best practice to ensure that acronyms are spelt out in full the first time they are used. Or at the very least are explained in the "definitions" or a "glossary".

Both "SNAP" and "WIC" aren't defined either.

UEAD is defined using the "Letters of the Acronym (LotA)" method.

Bills should be understandable for most people (preferably all but that's impossible in practice). Not the purview of a clique in the know about the lingo. I'm sure this isn't intentional. But speaking as someone who had read a lot of documents where acronyms both are and aren't explained. It frustrating when they aren't. Its best practice to have them explained.

I would support such an amendment. A little extra clarity never hurt anybody.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2021, 08:48:14 AM »

I'm working on an amendment to do just that.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2021, 03:07:51 AM »

I'm working on an amendment to do just that.

Thankyou Sev.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2021, 02:19:57 PM »

AN ACT

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

Section I. Title
i. The long title of this bill shall be the "Urban Investment and Redevelopment Act."

Section II. Definitions
i. Urban area is defined as a MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) with over 500,000 residents as of the most recently completed Census.
ii. Underperforming public schools are defined as publicly funded schools in the bottom twentieth percentile, as defined by the state they are located in.

i. Regional and local governments may apply to the Department of Housing and Urban Development for urban areas or designated portions of urban areas to be designated as Urban Economic Action District (UEAD).
     a. For an area to be designated a UEAD, the median household income must be below the national median household income, and the percentage of households receiving federal assistance such as SNAP (Supplemental nutrition Assistance Program) must exceed 20%.
     c. A UEAD may be renewed if it still meets the requirements after five years, however The Department of Housing and Urban Development shall launch an inquiry to determine why renewal was necessary.
ii. The Department of Housing and Urban Development shall work with financial institutions to create loan programs to benefit UEADs.

i. Businesses that open new locations within UEADs shall receive a 3% federal corporate tax rebate, exclusive to the UEAD, for the new location for up to three tax years.
ii. Small businesses within UEADs owned by residents of the UEAD are eligible to apply to receive a 5% reduction in federal income tax for up to three tax years.
iii. Businesses receiving the aforementioned tax incentives shall also be exempt from employer-paid payroll taxes on new hires that are residents of the UEAD for up to one tax year.

i. Full-service grocery stores within UEADs can offer a 25% reduction to SNAP and WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) beneficiaries to be reimbursed by the federal government.
ii. A package of pots, pans, utensils, measuring cups, and a cookbook will be offered to all SNAP and WIC beneficiaries.
     a. The Department of Agriculture will sponsor cooking classes in UEADs every two months.

i. UEADs may apply for grant funds to be used for the purpose of deconstructing and rebuilding blighted areas, with the consent of current residents of the affected blighted areas.
     a. UEADs may apply for grant funds to create public parks and housing developments in formerly blighted areas.
ii. All uses of grant funds shall be subject to Department of Housing and Urban Development oversight.

i. Underperforming public schools can offer up to 33% higher pay to new teacher hires to be covered by the federal government.
     a. The 33% shall apply to the standard starting salary for the school district at the time of the UEAD designation.
ii. Underperforming public schools more than twenty years old may apply for grant funds for school improvements.
     a. Grant funds may be used for classroom remodels, new equipment, or other maintenance or improvements.
     b. All uses of grant funds shall be subject to Department of Education oversight.

i. $200 billion of initial funding is provided to the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
ii. $150 billion of initial funding is provided to the Department of Agriculture.
iii. $40 billion of initial funding is provided to the Department of Education.
iv. Additional funding can be allocated upon request, at Congress' discretion.

Amendment offered, 24 hours to object.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2021, 02:44:47 PM »

No objections.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2021, 11:29:56 PM »

Any particular justification for those numbers in the Appropriations section?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2021, 11:32:54 PM »

Any particular justification for those numbers in the Appropriations section?

I made some estimates of potential costs and figured if more founds are needed we can provide additional funding while being able to keep an eye on the project's success.
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -7.22

P P P
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2021, 03:29:05 PM »

No objections.  Let's get this zombie bill through ffs.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2021, 03:43:24 PM »

The amendment is adopted without objection. I move for a final vote.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2021, 03:45:22 PM »

AN ACT

Section I. Title

Section II. Definitions
i. Urban area is defined as a MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) with over 500,000 residents as of the most recently completed Census.

a. For an area to be designated a UEAD, the median household income must be below the national median household income, and the percentage of households receiving federal assistance such as SNAP (Supplemental nutrition Assistance Program) must exceed 20%.

i. Businesses that open new locations within UEADs shall receive a 3% federal corporate tax rebate, exclusive to the UEAD, for the new location for up to three tax years.
ii. Small businesses within UEADs owned by residents of the UEAD are eligible to apply to receive a 5% reduction in federal income tax for up to three tax years.
iii. Businesses receiving the aforementioned tax incentives shall also be exempt from employer-paid payroll taxes on new hires that are residents of the UEAD for up to one tax year.

i. Full-service grocery stores within UEADs can offer a 25% reduction to SNAP and WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) beneficiaries to be reimbursed by the federal government.
     a. The Department of Agriculture will sponsor cooking classes in UEADs every two months.

i. $200 billion of initial funding is provided to the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
ii. $150 billion of initial funding is provided to the Department of Agriculture.
iii. $40 billion of initial funding is provided to the Department of Education.
iv. Additional funding can be allocated upon request, at Congress' discretion.

A final vote is now open.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2021, 03:47:58 PM »

Aye.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix