Trump Has COVID megathread (update 10/24: 2 Pence staffers test positive)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 02:24:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Trump Has COVID megathread (update 10/24: 2 Pence staffers test positive)
« previous next »
Thread note
If anyone here explicitly wishes for the death of the president and/or others, please report said content in case myself or other moderators are not around at the time.

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 86
Author Topic: Trump Has COVID megathread (update 10/24: 2 Pence staffers test positive)  (Read 91356 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1850 on: October 06, 2020, 01:31:31 AM »

Nothing like a well-adjusted, All-American family.
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1851 on: October 06, 2020, 01:36:10 AM »

We are living in a horror movie.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1852 on: October 06, 2020, 01:40:03 AM »

I'm not predicting this will happen, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Trump's condition take a turn for the worse in a few weeks, he dies, and then Republicans, having ignored the tried and true strategy of banking as many votes as possible via VBM, lose up and down the ballot due to depressed turnout from the cultists on election day.

I don't want it to happen but imagine if Trump were to die within 48 hours of Election Day, leaving Trump voters completely deflated and very little to care in Mike Pence. In my mind, the absolute worst case scenario for the GOP.

If that happened, would there even be time enough for the RNC to name Pence as Trump's replacement on the ballot? Of course he'd be the odds-on favorite but Republicans would literally not know for whom they are voting for president.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1853 on: October 06, 2020, 01:47:37 AM »
« Edited: October 06, 2020, 01:57:47 AM by Monstro Believes in a Blue Texas & a Blue Georgia »

I'm not predicting this will happen, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Trump's condition take a turn for the worse in a few weeks, he dies, and then Republicans, having ignored the tried and true strategy of banking as many votes as possible via VBM, lose up and down the ballot due to depressed turnout from the cultists on election day.

I don't want it to happen but imagine if Trump were to die within 48 hours of Election Day, leaving Trump voters completely deflated and very little to care in Mike Pence. In my mind, the absolute worst case scenario for the GOP.

If that happened, would there even be time enough for the RNC to name Pence as Trump's replacement on the ballot? Of course he'd be the odds-on favorite but Republicans would literally not know for whom they are voting for president.

When you put it that way, I guess it actually can get worse
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1854 on: October 06, 2020, 01:53:34 AM »

The RNC chair would probably quickly announce that a majority of the RNC members had agreed that Pence be the nominee, and perhaps they'd announce a running mate at the same time.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1855 on: October 06, 2020, 02:10:06 AM »

Bill Kristol expression to what we saw tonight is right-on-the-money.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kristol has been harsh towards trump for most of the last four years ... correct?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1856 on: October 06, 2020, 02:11:20 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kristol has been harsh towards trump for most of the last four years ... correct?

He's a never-Trump conservative.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1857 on: October 06, 2020, 02:13:29 AM »

Kristol, to his credit, has been against Trump from day one. Unlike some other "NeverTrumpers" he didn't actually end up voting for Trump. To his DISCREDIT however, he did NOT endorse Hillary Clinton, but instead pushed the DOA Evan McMullin candidacy.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #1858 on: October 06, 2020, 03:14:05 AM »

You're being way too polite.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1859 on: October 06, 2020, 06:03:47 AM »

Nothing like a well-adjusted, All-American family.

That the public's best source on events inside the White House is a 15-year old posting on Tik-Tok and fighting with her parents says everything about where our nation is at right now.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1860 on: October 06, 2020, 06:06:21 AM »

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1861 on: October 06, 2020, 06:16:39 AM »

Trump's move back to the White House appears to be one more con, one potentially deadly to himself and the White House staff.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1862 on: October 06, 2020, 06:53:44 AM »

The RNC chair would probably quickly announce that a majority of the RNC members had agreed that Pence be the nominee, and perhaps they'd announce a running mate at the same time.

While that is the safest option for the RNC, Ivanka would be a fool not to make her move at that time to claim her right to lead the Republicans in her father’s memory. She can command the media and force the RNC to choose between her and Pence, or at least force a compromise where she becomes the VP nominee.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1863 on: October 06, 2020, 07:22:44 AM »

The President's illness has humbled him. He now truly understands the hardships that millions of people are going through:

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1864 on: October 06, 2020, 07:36:57 AM »

The President's illness has humbled him. He now truly understands the hardships that millions of people are going through:

Yep, he learned a lot....
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1865 on: October 06, 2020, 07:41:39 AM »

This is even zanier in context of the tweet directly before that:

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1866 on: October 06, 2020, 07:44:52 AM »

He’s going to end up like Herman Cain. Just watch it happen.

I hope not.  Trump is already bad enuf, but Trump with a creepy grin would be even worse.

QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #1867 on: October 06, 2020, 07:48:48 AM »

He’s clearly got steroid mania.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1868 on: October 06, 2020, 07:54:14 AM »

If only he knew there's a vaccine for the flu as well as effective medicines for it too. While COVID currently doesn't have either.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1869 on: October 06, 2020, 07:56:41 AM »

I am assuming the Biden/Harris transition team already has plans to comprehensively clean and disinfect the White House and Naval Observatory before setting up residence after January 20...  

The way Trump is acting, he might need to use the British option to thoroughly disinfect the place.

woodley park

« Reply #1870 on: October 06, 2020, 07:58:14 AM »

Yep, he learned a lot....

Neatly underscores exactly what Obama said during the convention -- that Trump isn't going to change.

I spent the last couple of days reading up on how prominent conservative opinion writers wanted Trump to engage with the public post-diagnosis, and they all emphasized that if Trump showed some humility, understanding, and willingness to encourage smart public health policies, he may still have a chance to turn things around.

Clearly, that isn't going to happen.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1871 on: October 06, 2020, 08:02:35 AM »

Is the medication making him extra bonkers? these tweets are on the verge of insanity
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1872 on: October 06, 2020, 08:03:25 AM »

Astonishing! It only took three days for the president to recover, even though it takes around 10-14 days for virtually anyone to fully recover from their symptoms! Sure, the president had some breathing problems as he entered the White House, but who cares? GOD BLESS PRESIDENT TRUMP!!!!!!!
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1873 on: October 06, 2020, 08:14:02 AM »

According to a CDC study that examined per-season flu-related deaths from 1976-77 to 2007-08, flu-related deaths hit a peak of 48,614 in 2003-04.  

The 2017-18 season hit a new benchmark of 61,000 estimated deaths (though some estimates place this figure at 80,000-95,000).  Mind you, these seasonal estimates are not super precise.  As with COVID, it can be difficult to ensure that all COD's were definitively from influenza or influenza-related causes.  Even so, none of even the high-end estimates begin to match the number of COVID-19-related deaths in the US thus far.  

It's also worth noting that flu season is defined as roughly running from October to May, closely corresponding to the approx. eight to nine month period since the first US COVID-related death.  

In short, I have no idea where President Trump is getting this "sometimes, more than 100,000 people die from the flu in the US yearly" thing.  But, as always, someone please put me in my place if I'm completely off here. 

Sources:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5933a1.htm#:~:text=This%20report%20summarizes%20the%20results,48%2C614%20in%202003--04.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1874 on: October 06, 2020, 08:14:43 AM »

Is the medication making him extra bonkers? these tweets are on the verge of insanity

Some of the meds he's on can cause euphoria, yes.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies