2008: Obama/Kaine vs. McCain/Palin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:52:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008: Obama/Kaine vs. McCain/Palin
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008: Obama/Kaine vs. McCain/Palin  (Read 312 times)
Turbo Flame

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2020, 01:34:28 PM »

What if Barack Obama went with his heart and selected then Virginia Governor Tim Kaine? The map in 2008 stays the same. In 2012, I think Obama holds on to North Carolina, but everything else remains the same.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 02:45:41 PM »

Why exactly do you think Tim Kaine would help in North Carolina 2012? Because he’s from Virginia? Didn’t exactly help Hillary, did it? I suppose if he doesn’t push the campaign to endorse gay marriage like Biden did, it might help a bit in NC that year. But ultimately I doubt it makes any notable difference. Definitely he doesn’t do as well in the VP debates as Biden did. 2008 he probably wins anyway because Palin was so awful, but 2012 is another story.

More interesting are the implications down the line: Hillary doesn’t choose Kaine as VP. Maybe she chooses someone who would help her more like Sherrod Brown. And Biden would not be the nominee right now either way. He would probably still be in the Senate.
Turbo Flame

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 02:56:54 PM »

Why exactly do you think Tim Kaine would help in North Carolina 2012? Because he’s from Virginia? Didn’t exactly help Hillary, did it? I suppose if he doesn’t push the campaign to endorse gay marriage like Biden did, it might help a bit in NC that year. But ultimately I doubt it makes any notable difference. Definitely he doesn’t do as well in the VP debates as Biden did. 2008 he probably wins anyway because Palin was so awful, but 2012 is another story.

More interesting are the implications down the line: Hillary doesn’t choose Kaine as VP. Maybe she chooses someone who would help her more like Sherrod Brown. And Biden would not be the nominee right now either way. He would probably still be in the Senate.
This is true. But I think even if Obama did lose NC, it wouldn't as "big" as it would with Biden.

Now that was a mistake on Hillary's part. She should have gone with either like you said Sherrod Brown or Cory Booker to try and not depress the black turnout rate as much as Kaine did in OTL. I know he didn't have much experience, and it's usually not a good idea to have running mate states close to each other, but Obama didn't have much experience either and still won. Plus, Bill Clinton picking Al Gore for running mate was a mater stroke.

In general, it's all about the timing.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 03:31:34 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2020, 04:02:39 PM by NewYorkExpress »

2008:

The only change in 2008 is that Obama gets a massive bump in Virginia thanks to Kaine being on the ticket.

2012:

Again, the only change is a sizable bump for Obama in Virginia, though he doesn't quite reach 60% this time.

Turbo Flame

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 03:58:37 PM »

2008:

The only change in 2008 is that Obama gets a massive bump in Virginia thanks to Kaine being on the ticket.

2012:

Again, the only change is a sizable bump for Obama in Virginia, though he doesn't quite reach 60% this time.

Here, let me help you.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies