Opinion of MT Treasurer/IndyRep
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:00:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of MT Treasurer/IndyRep
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of MT Treasurer/Indy Rep?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 83

Author Topic: Opinion of MT Treasurer/IndyRep  (Read 1382 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2020, 11:50:55 AM »

What is your opinion of the poster MT Treasurer/Indy Rep? This is inspired by a discussion at this thread (https://atlasafterdark.freeforums.net/thread/289/worst-posts-modern-atlas?page=544&scrollTo=537355), on Atlas After Dark, where most of the posters there have a negative opinion of him. Personally, I don't understand their objections, since they seem to think that he is one of the worst posters on this forum-worse than people such as Landslide Lyndon and Ator Boltox, who continue to poison the atmosphere here with their personal attacks and one-liners devoid of substance. Do you think MT Treasurer is as bad as they say? Vote in the poll and express your opinions below.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 12:34:56 PM »

Triggers the right people. FF
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 12:41:32 PM »

Massive FF
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 12:43:42 PM »

Neutral, he rarely posts for me to come to a conclusive decision.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 01:11:45 PM »

Since none of the points in it were addressed, I'm just going to repost what I said over there:

Quote from: @jk2020
Regardless of whether or not he's "funny", MT Treasurer/Indyrep is an awful poster whose entire MO is making strawmen arguments about 'what Atlas says' and then bullying (often newer) posters about their views on how different races will turn out - essentially he mostly makes posters feel stupid for disagreeing with him on any of this. Given the motivations of most young Atlas posters these days for using the site - to feel knowledgeable/smart and to be validated - this lets Indyrep very easily build Atlas into an echo chamber on these sorts of predictions. The textbook recent example of this is "Bevin is inevitable" - this initially was not an overwhelming consensus on the site until Indyrep and his like started bullying posters who thought Bevin had a chance and calling them naive etc. And of course, when he's wrong, he isn't called out for it because - well, everyone else was wrong too!

Cannot think of a single current poster on Old Atlas who has done more to kill any real discussion and/or argument of elections etc. - the major purpose of that web site - than IndyRep has.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 01:14:41 PM »

Since none of the points in it were addressed, I'm just going to repost what I said over there:

Regardless of whether or not he's "funny", MT Treasurer/Indyrep is an awful poster whose entire MO is making strawmen arguments about 'what Atlas says' and then bullying (often newer) posters about their views on how different races will turn out - essentially he mostly makes posters feel stupid for disagreeing with him on any of this. Given the motivations of most young Atlas posters these days for using the site - to feel knowledgeable/smart and to be validated - this lets Indyrep very easily build Atlas into an echo chamber on these sorts of predictions. The textbook recent example of this is "Bevin is inevitable" - this initially was not an overwhelming consensus on the site until Indyrep and his like started bullying posters who thought Bevin had a chance and calling them naive etc. And of course, when he's wrong, he isn't called out for it because - well, everyone else was wrong too!

Cannot think of a single current poster on Old Atlas who has done more to kill any real discussion and/or argument of elections etc. - the major purpose of that web site - than IndyRep has.

You've confused MT Treasurer with IceSpear-and IceSpear hasn't posted on here in almost six months. Moreover, IceSpear gladly admitted to his mistake in misjudging the outcome of Kentucky's gubernatorial election-and admitting to mistakes isn't something that many posters here are capable of.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 01:19:27 PM »

Don't always agree with him, but a good and civil poster. Freedom fighter.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 01:23:17 PM »

Deserves our bipartisan support
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 01:28:19 PM »

IndyRep was actually much more bullish on Beshear's chances compared to the rest of the forum IIRC (he routinely overrates the chances of Democrats in solid red states and underrates Republicans in solid blue states). It was IceSpear who frequently made the Bevin being inevitable trope happen, as well as general forum bearishness about Democrats winning Kentucky because of its polling history.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 01:32:10 PM »

IndyRep was actually much more bullish on Beshear's chances compared to the rest of the forum IIRC (he routinely overrates the chances of Democrats in solid red states and underrates Republicans in solid blue states). It was IceSpear who frequently made the Bevin being inevitable trope happen, as well as general forum bearishness about Democrats winning Kentucky because of its polling history.
Yes IceSpear was more responsible for that (and I'm on the record of saying memey behavior involving names/avatars/signatures that turns out to be incorrect in a prediction should be bannable.) However i have yet to see a single poster post about "bipartisan bills" in a way that this meme is mocking making it just an annoying meme with no purpose.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 01:36:28 PM »

I mean I have literally seen ads for Bullock's bipartisan bills here in NJ. I can definitely see why MT treasurer is making a meme of this one.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 01:46:47 PM »

Definite FF who tends to make good predictions, and certainly has a point about the analysis that he mocks. He also has a very good understanding of the current state of MT politics, and I get why some of the "analysis" of MT races bugs him and why he pokes fun at takes like MT-SEN 2018 being less competitive than WI-SEN because of MT being "elastic" or Tester being a "folksy populist."
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 01:56:37 PM »

Best poster in this site.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 03:37:23 PM »

Massive FF, and the people who don't like him don't like that his analysis is usually more right than theirs
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 04:08:36 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2020, 04:18:36 PM by KaiserDave »

One of the smartest posters on this site and a beacon of common sense.

We probably don't agree on too much (although I recall him recommending posts I made on a hypothetical Iran war being horrid), and sometimes on election #analysis we differ (he's more into R MN than I am), but he is no doubt a massive FF.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 04:10:22 PM »

You've confused MT Treasurer with IceSpear-and IceSpear hasn't posted on here in almost six months. Moreover, IceSpear gladly admitted to his mistake in misjudging the outcome of Kentucky's gubernatorial election-and admitting to mistakes isn't something that many posters here are capable of.

You're right it was IceSpear, and I was foolish to go along with his Kentucky Safe R prediction given the result, but IceSpear's admittance I felt was lackluster compared to the years worth of harping that occurred.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 05:17:01 PM »

I see more of his (often bad) electoral takes than personal political views, so automatic FF.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 05:50:13 PM »

Massive FF, one of the best right-leaning posters on the forun
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2020, 11:19:31 PM »

His actual takes are genuinely pretty solid compared to most and he isn't a complete wanker but the whole strawmen stuff does annoy me. I'll say Mixed.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2020, 12:04:16 AM »

He should honestly be a ModAdmin of this site!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2020, 12:15:52 AM »

Hot take: Anyone who uses memey signatures/display names/avatars to push a narrative that turns out incorrect should be banned.

I mean why IceSpear wasn't considered by everybody to have absolutely zero credibility after the Kentucky stuff is beyond me. Imagine how we'd be treating any pundit who was that off in a prediction as he was.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2020, 01:45:50 AM »

Massive FF, very bipartisan
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2020, 02:50:27 AM »

Who is responsible for this whole "x midterm" deal? To me this is one of the most debilitating analyses and it's basically omnipresent.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2020, 11:19:43 AM »

Hot take: Anyone who uses memey signatures/display names/avatars to push a narrative that turns out incorrect should be banned.

I mean why IceSpear wasn't considered by everybody to have absolutely zero credibility after the Kentucky stuff is beyond me. Imagine how we'd be treating any pundit who was that off in a prediction as he was.

I guess it's really a good thing that I don't bother following election discussion on this forum anymore. The idea that Bevin was inevitable is so nonsensical that it still doesn't seem real to me that anyone actually believed it. I was always certain Beshear would win and I was surprised when the outcome was as close as it was.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2020, 11:31:31 AM »

Less funny than he thinks he is.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies