1st Presidential Debate Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:09:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  1st Presidential Debate Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1st Presidential Debate Megathread  (Read 45366 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« on: September 29, 2020, 07:44:40 AM »

Tonight, 60 million people will see how old and frail Biden looks . That will make a difference. People don’t watch debate for substance, to get actual insight. They don’t listen to what the candidates say. They go by impression, and the way a candidate looks is often critical. It shouldn’t be this way, but it is.

I'm ignoring the rest of your comment but only adding that it's gonna be more than 60. 84 million tuned into the first debate in 2016. With streaming added in this time, I think it would be higher than that.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 07:05:29 PM »

The punditry happening on CNN is just.... ugh. They want the horse race so bad.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 07:35:50 AM »

Uh are people misreading that flash poll? 57% neither is just everyone who is already dug in and nothing was going to change their opinion for better or for worse. I'm still voting for Biden of course and I probably would've said neither, because while I think Biden did good, Trump made it a disaster, so this did nothing to change my view.

A whole lot of both sides-ism going on in the media today. Expected and predictable but frustrating nonetheless. Trump is the sole cause of why it was a sh*t show yet we have tons of headlines about "CHAOS IN CLEVELAND" as if both sides played an equal role
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 09:20:27 AM »

Im surprised Biden is mostly getting away with not answering about court packing.

A) compared to everything else that happened last night, its pretty irrelevant
B) why should biden have to answer to this? there's no reason to get ahead of himself, it's a hypothetical at this point. Barrett hasn't even been confirmed and Biden doesn't even know if he'll win
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 02:59:07 PM »

538/Ipsos:

60% rated Biden’s performance as good, while only 33% did the same for Trump.

There was a clear winner here. And it's not just "Biden winning bc Trump lost". People actually DID think Biden did well. Once again, the pundit narrative collapses.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 03:34:51 PM »

538/Ipsos:

60% rated Biden’s performance as good, while only 33% did the same for Trump.

There was a clear winner here. And it's not just "Biden winning bc Trump lost". People actually DID think Biden did well. Once again, the pundit narrative collapses.

Just another anecdote, but in talking to some family this morning, I came away with an impression that, at least in terms of a singular "debate" moment, Trump's attack on Hunter Biden and his mention of his past cocaine use may have backfired spectacularly and garnered Biden quite a bit of sympathy. Biden was right to forcefully defend his son - I think people respected that on an emotional level. I was surprised to hear it being brought up unsolicited - it seemed more important to them than Trump's refusal to condemn the Proud Boys - but it makes sense given that I've had some extended family members who have had drug addictions in the past as well.

I agree 100%. I think Biden's strongest moments were defending his son. The drug moment as well as when he defended Beau against Trump calling military members suckers and losers and Trump flailing and disgracefully saying "I only know Hunrter."
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 06:41:42 PM »

Should be noted that the sample was D+14 (39 D, 36 I, 25 R), so given the fact that Biden came out on top by 32%, Indies must have severely gone for Biden as well in the CNN poll
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 05:13:22 AM »

If I had told you five years ago that during the first televised Presidential Election debate that one of the candidates would call the other candidate a clown, a liar, the worst president ever and tell him to "shut up, man"..... and he would have been viewed as the "mature" candidate in that debate...  would you have believed me?

I mean, no one would have predicted the actual president would act like a petulant 3 year old child, so
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 10:50:29 AM »

Two more polls show Biden won handily:

CNBC/Change Research: Biden 53, Trump 29
POLITICO/Morning Consult: Biden 50, Trump 34
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 04:19:10 PM »

Good ol' CNN

There was 1 person that raised it for Joe. 2 for Trump. Nearly all of them didn't pick *anyone*. What's your point?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies