Grauniad finally realizes there's more to tantra than Hot Buddhism That [Inks]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:20:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Grauniad finally realizes there's more to tantra than Hot Buddhism That [Inks]
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Grauniad finally realizes there's more to tantra than Hot Buddhism That [Inks]  (Read 395 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2020, 10:58:26 AM »
« edited: September 25, 2020, 03:54:05 PM by The scissors of false economy »

Article here.

It's noteworthy that the article still expends a lot of effort establishing that tantra is Woke and how Radical it is:

Tantra is the subject of a new exhibition at the British Museum in London that curator Imma Ramos hopes will “challenge that stereotype and introduce visitors to the history of tantra and how it inspired masterpieces of visual culture. It was a revolutionary philosophy that placed women at the centre of worship, transcending class and caste boundaries to create a new way of experiencing the world. Even though there is a sense of tantra having been recently appropriated by the corporate wellness industry and sanitised, its rebellious spirit is ripe for reimagining when it comes to gender and politics. It still has an anti-establishment ethos.”

I've been to esoteric Buddhist ceremonies in both the United States and Japan (not to participate; just to observe), and I absolutely cannot confirm that there's anything particularly radical about 90% of what happens in them. Tantra can have a politically and socially liberatory focus, but so can almost any other religious tradition depending on how it's interpreted. Much of the time in (for instance) pre-occupation Tibet or pre-communist Mongolia Buddhist esotericism was used to excuse predatory sexual behavior on the part of nominally celibate monks. Both the Hot Buddhism That F**ks pop-cultural understanding of tantra and the #Resistance Against Modi understanding that this Grauniad article and this British Museum exhibit advocate miss quite a lot about the tradition and about its relationship with other Buddhist and Hindu currents.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 03:11:01 PM »

I have just one question: what's the backstory behind calling the Guardian with an anagram of its name?
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 03:18:50 PM »

I have just one question: what's the backstory behind calling the Guardian with an anagram of its name?

It used to be infamous for typos.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 03:23:11 PM »

Ah I see. Lol
I am now experimenting with anagrams in my head.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 03:24:03 PM »

Ah I see. Lol
I am now experimenting with anagrams in my head.

The Grauniad is the most common one, I believe. But yes, one could certainly get inventive.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 10:33:41 AM »

From the little I've read I was under the impression that Tantra was in the main a reaction against the dry Buddhist scholasticism of Nalanda and other monastic universities. That said, it definitely was transgressive initially in terms of its sexual and caste ethics, even if "revolutionary" is kinda an anachronistic term for the first millennium. But it is also difficult to portray extramarital sex or women in authority as particularly radical today sure.

But yeah, looks like a fascinating exhibition. Might actually have to go.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 10:54:04 AM »

From the little I've read I was under the impression that Tantra was in the main a reaction against the dry Buddhist scholasticism of Nalanda and other monastic universities.

That's broadly correct, although I hold to the theory that proto-tantric elements in both Buddhism and Hinduism go back much further.

That said, it definitely was transgressive initially in terms of its sexual and caste ethics, even if "revolutionary" is kinda an anachronistic term for the first millennium. But it is also difficult to portray extramarital sex or women in authority as particularly radical today sure.

The thing is, most of the early tantric schools did not actually have women in authority. They had female or feminine divine figures, but if you look at the philosophical and ritual texts involved, many of them exalted these figures by contrast rather than comparison to human women. It's much like how the veneration of Mary in Catholicism doesn't necessarily translate to a higher position for women in Catholic societies relative to Protestant ones (quite the contrary, historically), because much of the basis for Marian veneration is Mary's dissimilarity to (most) other women. It's only in early modernity that we see the sexually transgressive elements of tantra actually translating into a positive reassessment of the role of women, and when it happens, it's partly due to Western influence.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies