Map of American Protestant denominations (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:38:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Map of American Protestant denominations (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Map of American Protestant denominations  (Read 1701 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: September 27, 2020, 03:04:44 PM »

But seriously, what's up with all the Southern Baptists in Northern California?

In no particular order

a) I'm pretty sure a lot of Okies wound up in California

b) There's a decent number of Hispanic Southern Baptists

c) The name "Southern Baptist Convention" is dated and probably a bit of a misnomer at this point. The SBC is all over the place now. Heck, there used to be a sizeable denomination called the "Canadian Southern Baptist Conference", before they (mercifully) changed their name.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 08:01:29 AM »

Nathan, do you have a breakdown of the "Other"  counties? I can pick out the CRCNA/RCA in Dutch areas and the National Baptist Convention in areas with a large black population, but the rest of Others are a mystery to me.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 04:51:47 AM »

I looked it up in ARDA. The largest Protestant group in Cook County is the National Baptist Convention. I.e. An historically black denomination as you guys suspected.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 10:39:34 AM »

^ Extremely* sad.

EDIT: I grew up Missouri Synod Lutheran (before we switched to ELCA after moving to another city), and I am always surprised to see it counted as "Evangelical."  Yes, it's more conservative, but I don't think that should be the main distinction, as a MS Lutheran's church experience is going to be fundamentally Mainline, and they would certainly feel more at home in a ELCA service than a Southern Baptist one.  In general, I am not a fan of taking conservative Mainline denominations and categorizing them as "Evangelical," and if you don't (i.e., count them as Mainline instead), that map would actually likely change quite a bit in the Midwest.  (In other words, cross-matching that map with a map of Missouri Synod Lutheran frequency matches some of the "Evangelical" counties in the Midwest pretty well.)

There was a thread years ago, where we came up with a four way division modelled on the political compass. The axes were religous modernism/traditionalism and worship modernism/traditionalism (with some high/low churchmanship mixed in). So you wind up with:

Mainline: ELCA, PCUSA etc
Evangelical: Southern Baptist, Assemblies of God etc.
Confessional: PCA, LCMS etc
Huh: BRTD

Never could arrive at a consensus on what to call the low church progressives Tongue
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 10:41:09 AM »
« Edited: October 02, 2020, 10:48:59 AM by DC Al Fine »

Why is it sad? Mainline Protestantism's erosion is entirely its own doing.

Have to agree for the most part. The Mainline churches have made a lot of very poor decisions over the past half century, even down to relatively mundane administrative stuff.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 10:56:49 AM »

I'm aware of hypothesis that much religious decline in the West is due to the religious centre failing to hold. I'm quite sympathetic to it with regards to post-Vatican II Catholicism. The problem with applying it to Mainline Protestantism, is that to Evangelical and especially Confessional Protestant eyes, it seems like the Mainline made a great deal of effort to abandon said centre.

E.g. A former pastor in my parish joined the PCA after being censured for withholding communion from someone who denied the resurrection in his Mainline parish. Or similary Princeton Seminary "cancelled" Tim Keller, despite Rev. Keller's strong concern for social justice, caring for the poor, lack of political activism etc.

That sort of incident makes it very difficult for me to characterize the Mainlines as "religious centre" as opposed to conciously shifting to the "religious left".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies