Opinion of abortion and cannabis (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:22:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of abortion and cannabis (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of abortion and cannabis
abortion should be legal, cannabis should be legal

abortion should be illegal, cannabis should be illegal

abortion should be legal, cannabis should be illegal

abortion should be illegal, cannabis should be legal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: Opinion of abortion and cannabis  (Read 1080 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: September 27, 2020, 02:06:49 PM »

Fourth option, but it depends on what the meaning of "should" is.

Or worse, the people who say "I'm against abortion except in cases of rape or incest."

Entirely agreed. I'm willing to accept far more liberal overall policy on abortion than I'd ideally prefer if that's the price of avoiding this disgusting double standard.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 08:24:45 PM »

Because there is a wide array of possible policy preferences on abortion, and I guess on cannabis too.

Eh, I'm ok with forcing people to choose a side on this one. The most obnoxious people in the abortion debate, to me, are the ones who waffle over how many weeks the limit should be placed at. Or worse, the people who say "I'm against abortion except in cases of rape or incest." I don't have a ton of interest in this whole debate, but for God's sake, be consistent.

The rape/incest exception is justified by the right to self-defense.

I'm familiar with this line of thinking, but it only makes sense if you accept the "tacit consent" premise, which I find to be misogynistic. If you don't accept that premise, there's not any other reason why pregnancy from rape constitutes being attacked but pregnancy from consensual sex that wasn't intended to result in pregnancy doesn't.

To my mind, the correct application of the self-defense doctrine to abortion exemptions is in the case of abortion for maternal health.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 09:00:43 PM »

(I read it as "cannibals", and I was like "whoa, that's dark! Eating fetuses?")
It is hardly an unnatural conclusion. If fetuses are fundamentally closer to animals than humans, which is a tenement of pro-choice arguments, then eating them can hardly be considered cannibalism.

Of course, such a conclusion would likely only be reached by the likes of Peter Singer.

I actually know a religious (Episcopalian) pro-choicer who does see fetuses as a form of animal life, but her takeaway from this is that abortion should be assessed with at least the same level of moral scrutiny that we give to killing animals, rather than having the status of the fetus actively and insistently denigrated.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies