Palin hints at Senate run if Murkowski opposes Trump’s SC nominee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:48:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Palin hints at Senate run if Murkowski opposes Trump’s SC nominee
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Palin hints at Senate run if Murkowski opposes Trump’s SC nominee  (Read 1723 times)
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2020, 04:58:08 AM »

"We sure hope that you have it within you to do the right thing this time,” Palin said to Murkowski in a series of Instagram videos posted this week. “So, you should walk back. We'll forgive you. If you can't do that, remember my house? I can see a lot of things from my house... Lisa, I can see 2022 from my house."
"Lisa Murkowski, this is my house," Palin said, pointing to her Alaska residence in the background. "I'm willing to give it up for the greater good of this country... if you can't find it within yourself to do the right thing this time and at least give a fair shake to the Supreme Court nominee that your president will be bringing before you.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/palin-hints-at-senate-run-in-alaska-if-lisa-murkowski-opposes-trumps-supreme-court-nominee/ar-BB19rPMx
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 04:59:27 AM »

GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 05:00:26 AM »

Murkowski probably has better political future just caucusing with Democrats than Republicans. Have you seen her approvals among Rs?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 06:13:04 AM »

It wouldn't be the first time Palin ended a Murkowski's political career.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 06:23:19 AM »

Good, the seat will go the same route of Sullivan, D takeover, hopefully, Begich runs in 2022
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 10:55:10 AM »

Palin running against Murkowski would be good for Murkowski because she'd fill in the spot of "Murkowski is too left-wing" and she'd also be a total joke.
Joe Miller a third time retread would do better than her.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 11:12:38 AM »

Stupid move that will no doubt only serve to have Alaska Democrats' mouths watering.

Endorsed.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 11:22:28 AM »

If Alaska actually passes its top four runoff with IRV referendum, this would be an amazing test of the new system.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 11:34:04 AM »

Can a rhinoceros survive in the tundra?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 11:49:27 AM »

Murkowski probably has better political future just caucusing with Democrats than Republicans. Have you seen her approvals among Rs?

She gets to be chair of the Energy Committee as a Republican. Manchin would block the way were she a Democrat until at least 2024.

The potential for a new voting system in AK may save her if she loses another primary. I think she's likely to become an independent caucusing with Republicans if Manchin exits the Senate and she wins a GE after losing a primary. In that scenario, she could switch as and when party control of the Senate switched to retain her chairwomanship.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2020, 12:00:49 PM »

The crazy train comes full circle. Just a reminder to Democrats that everything that made Trump possible will still be around after Trump is out of office, and even if Trump loses, all of the horror of Trumpism, just with fewer Tweets, will still have a disproportional amount of power in this country unless Democrats take the Senate decisively this year.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2020, 12:25:40 PM »

I hope Murkowski isn’t scared of primary challenges. If anyone shouldn’t be, it’s her. Least of all from Sarah Palin. Who I doubt could win anymore in a general in Alaska; Murkowski could probably win on another write-in campaign if she had to if Alaska doesn’t adopt that new voting system.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2020, 12:33:06 PM »

Palin (and most other Republicans, for that matter) could absolutely win a general in a Republican wave environment under a Democratic trifecta.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2020, 12:44:50 PM »

Murkowski only got reelected due to running as a write in candidate, she will lose in 2022
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2020, 12:48:13 PM »

No matter who wins the primary (and no matter who is President in 2022) this race is Safe R.

I'd also rate this primary as Safe Palin if she runs.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2020, 01:08:55 PM »

Is this supposed to discourage Murkowski?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2020, 01:18:43 PM »

People are way over estimating Murkowski, simply because of the write-in bid success in 2010.

For one thing Alaskans have had Murkowskis on the ballot since 1980. Furthermore, it was only because Joe Miller turned out to be a flawed candidate that she was able to succeed.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2020, 01:26:59 PM »

People are way over estimating Murkowski, simply because of the write-in bid success in 2010.

For one thing Alaskans have had Murkowskis on the ballot since 1980. Furthermore, it was only because Joe Miller turned out to be a flawed candidate that she was able to succeed.

I agree she'd probably lose a primary but the personal brand could (in a red wave midterm) get her to place above a Democrat and then, with RCV, the general election would be something of an open question even if Palin received the lion's share of the Republican vote.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2020, 01:32:31 PM »

It's not JUST the 2010 race. It's also the 2016 race.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2020, 01:38:47 PM »

She gets to be chair of the Energy Committee as a Republican. Manchin would block the way were she a Democrat until at least 2024.

Eh, she's already been Committee Chair for 6 years so if she's already reaching a point where she's open to caucusing with Democrats, then she's probably open to reaching an equitable compromise on that front (i.e., Manchin as Chair & Murkowski as "senior Committee member" or something like that).

I agree she'd probably lose a primary but the personal brand could (in a red wave midterm) get her to place above a Democrat and then, with RCV, the general election would be something of an open question even if Palin received the lion's share of the Republican vote.

Yeah, the idiosyncratic partisan composition of her previous winning coalitions (e.g., more Clinton 2016 voters approve of her than disapprove of her) definitely makes me think that she has a much easier time than previous years in the event that A.) AK adopts the proposed top-4 primary/RCV general; & B.) Sarah Palin is the other Republican in the race.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2020, 02:49:57 PM »

It's not JUST the 2010 race. It's also the 2016 race.

With Joe Miller as a libertarian? Yea that is not that compelling either.

The thing is Murkowski's brand is entirely because she was able to shift the narrative and ire away from her background, path to power and her families corruption, ties to big oil etc, and instead paint herself as this moderate hero standing up first to the tea party and now against Trump.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2020, 03:02:16 PM »

Christ, Murkowski, just switch parties and stop trying to appeal to maniacs and ass-kissers.
UncleSam

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2020, 03:31:23 PM »

Palin would crush Murkowski. As grotesque and incomprehensible to this forum as her existence is, she’s wildly popular in Alaska.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2020, 04:52:11 PM »

If this happens, RIP moderate Republicans. I really hope Murkowski survives in 2022! Even if I disagree  with her on a lot of issues, it's important for there to be voices of opposition in both parties, especially in the senate where votes can come down to an individual senator.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2020, 09:41:01 PM »

Senator Sarah Palin? That does not sound good.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies