Do you consider yourself pro-life or pro-choice?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:59:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you consider yourself pro-life or pro-choice?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Regardless if you believe that Roe v Wade is legally sound/dubious, do you support pro-life or pro-choice public policies?
Pro-life

Pro-choice

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 128

Author Topic: Do you consider yourself pro-life or pro-choice?  (Read 5302 times)
DaWN
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2020, 09:15:45 AM »

I'm pro-containing this horrifying (from both sides) debate to your side of the Atlantic
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2020, 10:02:10 AM »

Very strongly pro-choice.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2020, 10:11:47 AM »

I'm pro-choice, I just don't think abortion should be used as an alternative to contraception.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2020, 10:18:09 AM »

Firmly pro-choice.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2020, 10:25:22 AM »

I've always been conflicted on abortion. On the one hand, I support it because it's killing babies. On the other, I oppose it because it's giving women a choice.

/s
paging Dule for your obvious plagiarism of his October 2019 Atlasian Presidential run

Did Dule beat me to the punch on this one? Guess I can't say I'm surprised, the man knows his way around an edgy joke or two
What do you mean did Dule beat you to the punch, that joke is at least a decade old
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2020, 02:50:17 PM »

Pro-choice, but not an absolutist. I'm in the Safe, Legal, and Rare crowd.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2020, 02:55:25 PM »

Comparing the ratio on this poll to the Roe v Wade poll is a really strong indicator of how judicially bad that ruling was.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2020, 02:55:41 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2020, 02:59:13 PM by lfromnj »

Comparing the ratio on this poll to the Roe v Wade poll is a really strong indicator of how judicially bad that ruling was.
But this is atlas , so maybe Roe is(judicially) good?. But yeah it either shows pollsters are very wrong about the actual popularity of Roe, or the American people don't really know what Roe is.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2020, 03:48:58 PM »

I've always been conflicted on abortion. On the one hand, I support it because it's killing babies. On the other, I oppose it because it's giving women a choice.

/s
paging Dule for your obvious plagiarism of his October 2019 Atlasian Presidential run

Did Dule beat me to the punch on this one? Guess I can't say I'm surprised, the man knows his way around an edgy joke or two

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=337263.0
I am conflicted on abortion. On the one hand, I support it because it kills babies; on the other hand, it gives women a choice.

This is a pretty common joke. I don't think Dule invented it.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2020, 04:08:54 PM »

Pro life.
Paul Weller
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2020, 04:24:41 PM »

Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2020, 04:43:42 PM »

Pro-choice, but abortion is an issue I avoid discussing at all costs and don't feel particularly strongly since I can see the reasoning behind both sides, and they are fundamentally irreconcilable views depending on where you are coming from.

If you are pro-life, you sincerely believe that you are preventing the murder of a person, and I can see this perspective because, well, without an abortion, that would have become a person. And we don't have an objective answer to when life begins or if we have souls or not, so if I think about that too much, it can make me pretty uncomfortable. This is why I really hate it when fellow pro-choicers say things like, "You just hate women/want to control other people's bodies!" because it's just such a dumb accusation.

This is unfortunately an issue that will never be resolved, and two people can spend all of eternity arguing about it, but they will never agree or resolve their differences because it is just such an irreconcilable difference of viewpoints.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2020, 07:41:19 PM »

I am pro-life. So, I think that women who don't want to keep their pregnancy should not risk their lives in clandestine abortions. If the abortion is legal, the abortion is safe. So, I voted pro-choice.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2020, 11:07:28 PM »

pro-choice in the first trimester.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2020, 01:19:24 AM »

But this is atlas , so maybe Roe is(judicially) good?. But yeah it either shows pollsters are very wrong about the actual popularity of Roe, or the American people don't really know what Roe is.

Or they don't care about the "judicial soundness" of the decision and only care about the consequences.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2020, 01:25:11 AM »

The two most prominent Democrats at the moment, Biden and Pelosi, are both Catholics. You have to go pretty far down the Republican pecking order to find a Catholic. (Steve Scalise, I guess?)

William Barr.
Also John Roberts and Brett Kavanaugh are arguably *very* important and prominent Catholic Republicans.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2020, 01:41:30 AM »

The two most prominent Democrats at the moment, Biden and Pelosi, are both Catholics. You have to go pretty far down the Republican pecking order to find a Catholic. (Steve Scalise, I guess?)

William Barr.
Also John Roberts and Brett Kavanaugh are arguably *very* important and prominent Catholic Republicans.
Sure, and Fox News under Roger Ailes was very Catholic, too. But what I was trying to get at was that if the GOP is a Catholic identity party, why aren't Catholics holding the top elected positions?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2020, 02:05:43 AM »

Pro-choice. I'm not in favor of the govt restricting the right to an abortion, since these are very hard decisions to make.

I like the simple expression (think it's a Bill Clinton quote): Abortions should be rare and legal.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2020, 05:40:50 AM »
« Edited: September 28, 2020, 06:28:09 AM by afleitch »

Pro choice as it respects the individuals choice to be pro life.

Edit: I quite like Santander's explanation. Even if I was pro-life I think it's a question of personal morality. The idea of the state forcing 12 year olds to give birth or investigating devastating miscarriages as 'it could have been deliberate' is utterly dystopic.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2020, 07:31:47 AM »

I don't get why "safe, legal, and rare" is considered a moderate position. Do most pro-choicers think that abortion should be common or unsafe?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2020, 07:42:19 AM »

I don't get why "safe, legal, and rare" is considered a moderate position. Do most pro-choicers think that abortion should be common or unsafe?

It depends on how one defines "rare"... Is it rare in the sense that there are trimester restrictions, etc. or rare as in "support other public policies that reduce the demand for abortion, like sex education, contraceptives, etc."?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2020, 07:56:43 AM »

It depends on how one defines "rare"... Is it rare in the sense that there are trimester restrictions, etc. or rare as in "support other public policies that reduce the demand for abortion, like sex education, contraceptives, etc."?

That would kind of cut against the "legal" part of it, wouldn't it?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2020, 08:05:22 AM »

Reading more into it, it seems like Democrats have moved away from the phrase "safe, legal, and rare" because they don't want abortion to be something that people apologize for or feel bad about. It's purely a messaging thing, not a policy difference. So I don't get the people who are saying, "I'm a moderate, I believe abortion should be safe, legal, and rare."
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2020, 10:58:27 AM »

Or they don't care about the "judicial soundness" of the decision and only care about the consequences.

Again the majority of this nation couldn't name a single supreme court justice(If I had to bet, I could say they can name Kavanaugh due to his hearing now) They really don't know what Roe v Wade is or the polls are wrong as they often are on issue polls.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2020, 03:30:41 PM »

Rare is a relative term, and one that public figures who describe themselves with that phrase usually prefer to leave ambiguous. That allows them to appeal to the people who believe that 15-25% of pregnancies ending in abortion (i.e. typical rates for US states) is "rare" enough and those who would prefer to see those numbers brought much lower.

State-level abortion rates vary by an order of magnitude, but the numbers rarely seem to enter the conversation except for anti-legalization people quoting raw numbers for shock value or pro-legalization people pointing out that the national rate is at an all-time low. It would take some courage for someone wishing to stake out a moderate position to say that they oppose restrictions on access like those in South Dakota while also saying that states like New York and Maryland where doctors abort closer to one out of three pregnancies have a problem that demands a policy response.

Speaking personally, I am strongly opposed to any criminal penalties for mothers or health care providers (so long as the latter are not coercing women into aborting their pregnancies). But I'm not convinced by the pro-choice consensus that this is only a matter of providing better sex education and welfare support, because that's not what the variation indicates.

It's also unfortunate the increasingly massive racial disparity in the percentage of pregnancies aborted has become a point of trolling, because reducing that disparity is the single greatest remaining opportunity for preventing abortions that take place in the United States.

What's your solution then, if not "providing better sex education and welfare support"?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies