Where would the town/neighborhood(s) you('ve) live(d) in vote if transported to another country?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:07:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Where would the town/neighborhood(s) you('ve) live(d) in vote if transported to another country?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where would the town/neighborhood(s) you('ve) live(d) in vote if transported to another country?  (Read 774 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2022, 12:23:40 AM »

I suppose it would vote Tory in Canada and the United Kingdom. Would actually be pretty safe for the Tories.

Here is how I think my general suburban area would vote in Canada;

Conservative 50-60%
Liberal 18-30%
NDP 8-15%
PPC 4-10%
Green 2%-5%

I wonder what people think their areas/precients/neighborhoods/towns would vote in other countries.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 12:30:54 AM »

Labour stronghold in UK with Liberal Democrats as second party. Something like 65 NDP 25 Liberal in Canada. Labor would obviously win it in Australia but I do wonder how much of the first preference vote would go Green.

Sn interesting question is France for the first round where I have no clue...Le Pen single digits both times in the runoff though.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 01:45:25 AM »

Hard to imagine it not being very safely left-wing anywhere else. Like we're talking 90% Dem, probably around 70% Labour in the UK, that kind of thing.

I think it'd vote NDP in Canada, but the Liberals wouldn't be a non-factor either - something like 55/35 or something?

In France, think it would've been a LFI first round -> massive LREM win second.

My dad's precinct would be a bit more interesting. I think it would usually vote for a right-wing party, but in the US it likely would be a marginal having been Republican not super-long ago. In Canada I think it would be Conservative but with some strength for the Grits? And I think it probably would've been a LREM/RN marginal in France.
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 02:14:00 PM »

A lightly democratic leaning suburb in the US
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 06:20:19 PM »

For the left pretty much everywhere. In Canada NDP with a pretty heavy Green and Liberal presence too. In the UK Labour for sure.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 06:56:18 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2022, 09:35:26 PM by Secretary of State Liberal Hack »

Well in Singapore I stayed in what was probably and 80-20% pap neighborhood going off vibes(but very close to opposition wards). In europe and latin america it would probably be strongly right-wing given it's pretty afluent being composed of private condomiums and landed properties(the exception rather than the rule). In the US it would probably be blue if it was anywhere outside the south given that it's college education rates are around 60-70% but demographicaly being very chinese it might still be red like some cities favoured quarters are.

In Texas I'm staying in a Biden +17 campus precinct but in a R+10 city and r+15 county.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 09:28:32 PM »

I imagine Williamson County would vote for the right in just about any country's political system, except maybe if you transported it to the Northeast or West Coast of the US (and had its religious demographics resemble similar suburbs in those places).
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2022, 06:16:27 PM »

In the UK, it would be a solidly Tory precinct that voted for Brexit by a solid margin, however it has voted for Labour candidates who did the best with the working class
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2022, 07:02:37 PM »

Safe WPK in North Korea
pikachu
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2022, 11:57:36 PM »

Safe Dem in the US, former safe Tory turned marginal in the UK, LR turned EM in France, would guess probably the traditional right party in most European countries but I’m too lazy to find the comparable neighborhood (which is probably pretty obvious at this point) in each country.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2022, 01:04:11 AM »
« Edited: November 02, 2022, 09:55:57 AM by Sol »

City proper is probably a marginal in the UK context, with the Lib Dems also capable of doing decently in the right context. Neighborhood would be fairly reliably Lab. though the Lib Dems would be strong second (and could easily win pre-coalition).
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2022, 02:38:56 AM »
« Edited: November 02, 2022, 01:00:16 PM by Miscellaneous Top Secret Crumpets »

My neighborhood in Seattle: It would probably go for any mainstream center-left social democratic party. Liberal in Canada, PS-turned-En Marche in France, SPD in Germany, etc. Not sure about the UK. I feel like Lib Dems might have a chance, but there would be a lot of variation even within the neighborhood. Probably SNP if it were in Scotland. In Eastern Europe, it'd probably be more at home in the liberal center-right parties. I imagine a party like USR in Romania would do well.

My neighborhood in DC: Depends on whether the mainstream center-left party appeals as much to old-school rich people as Democrats do in DC. If they do, that party wins easily. If they don't, it's probably competitive and votes mostly with the natural governing party. So, Liberals in Canada - Trudeau wins handily with CPC in second and NDP in a distant third. Probably a historically Tory seat in the UK where both Labour and Lib Dems have been making inroads in recent years. Extremely anti-Brexit. Maybe Fianna Fáil in Ireland with a decent showing for Labour? Hard to say.

St Andrews, Scotland: Votes with the college/university towns - lots of green voters in places with strong green parties. Democrat in the US, NDP in Canada, D66 in the Netherlands, Greens in Germany, etc. (Scots of Atlas, I'm curious if you agree with this assessment.)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2022, 05:19:02 AM »

The results of my Bundestag electoral district (Berlin-Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg-Prenzlauer Berg Ost) for the 2021 election - party list vote, not direct vote - were:

Greens 36.7%
SPD 19.2%
Left 18.1%
CDU 7.0%
FDP 6.3%
AfD 4.1%
Die PARTEI 2.2%
Animal Protection Party 1.7%

Not sure what this translates into in other countries... maybe San Francisco? Amsterdam?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2022, 05:32:19 AM »
« Edited: November 02, 2022, 05:38:13 AM by Middle-aged Europe »

Precinct results:

SPD 31.1%
Left 20.1%
AfD 12.7%
CDU 11.2%
Greens 10.5%
FDP 5.0%
Animal Protection Party 2.4%
Die PARTEI 1.7%

Not sure what this translates into, but it's a more "populist" version of my overall electoral district. So probably some blue-collar area somewhere?
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2022, 05:36:47 AM »

In the US: Westchester County but that was still conservative

In the UK: some area in the Western part of Greater London like Richmond or Kingston-upon-Thames. Alternatively, somewhere in Surrey
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2022, 11:26:37 AM »

La Spezia is a historical left-wing stronghold which has recently voted somewhat comfortably for the right but still not as much as the national - or regional - average. It grew massively in the late 19th and early 20th century gaining an economy based around shipping activities and heavy defense industry, nowadays is more and more tied to tourism and has stopped the decline better than much of this region, and is neither poor nor rich on the whole.

I imagine it would be moderately but safely left-leaning, having been more so in the past, in most countries. However I am not sure where the navy factor might have a bigger or smaller (rightwards) effect.
Since people are picking specific countries and of course boring obvious ones I'll go with Portugal instead. Given its actual location I think it's reasonable to assume La Spezia would be in the periphery of the Communist belt* - relatedly it'd be usually safe for PS, with a higher than average vote for BE and now for CHEGA, while I am unsure about IL. Setúbal could be a good enough analogy (or Sines although it is much smaller).

*This may not be true but I am not in the mood for a debate on whether Alentejo/Extremadura/Andalusia are more like the Mezzogiorno or more like the historically mezzadria-heavy Red Regions.
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2022, 11:37:42 AM »

My Hometown would be:

UK: Lib Dem, Labour, Tory
Canada: Liberal, NDP , Conservative
Germany: FDP, SPD, Union, Green, Left, AfD
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2022, 08:08:53 PM »

If we're comparing to the UK and US, where I live would be a Tory stronghold (it Always voted for the right until Macron), and it would arguably vote GOP in the US as well (or at least would be one of the more GOP friendly places in France, but i don't think Trump would be popular here, too posh for him)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies