Is Simple Uniform Swing + National polls >>> State Polls?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:04:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Is Simple Uniform Swing + National polls >>> State Polls?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Simple Uniform Swing + National polls >>> State Polls?  (Read 164 times)
tagimaucia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 26, 2020, 04:46:30 PM »

Here's something which surprised me a bit:

In 2012, (obviously the last presidential election with an incumbent), a simple uniform swing better predicted the differences between the results in different states than the major polling aggregators.

Although, nerd that I am, I took the numbers in this table, played with simple linear regression a bit, and actually a blend of the 538 state estimates and the uniform swing numbers (more heavily weighted towards the latter) would have done even better.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 04:50:23 PM »

Though my short answer is "no", I might be down for it if you had a national poll with enough respondents for various demographic subsamples and based it on those demographics.
kireev

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 05:06:22 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2020, 05:22:40 PM by kireev »

2020 might be somewhat different than 2012.  I do think that the correlation between 2016 and 2020 will be much higher than between 2012 and 2016. However, between 2008 and 2012 there were no significant shifts in Obama's support among the three major groups: whites with a college degree, white without a college degree and minorities. But we do witness quite significant shifts between 2016 and 2020: Trumps is underperforming among whites (both college and non-college educated), holding his support among blacks and even polling higher among Latinos.  These shifts will inevitably lead to geographical shifts and decrease the correlation in results between 2016 and 2020.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 05:09:18 PM »

No. In 2012 most swing states had elasticity pretty close to 1. This cycle is very different, with wide ranges of elasticity in swing states, as well as the fact that Joe Biden is targetting the rust belt much harder than Hillary, and by most standards, is a better fit for that part of the country than Hillary.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies