opinion of the second Covid bailout of the airlines
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:36:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  opinion of the second Covid bailout of the airlines
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: opinion of the second Covid bailout of the airlines
I'm for it

something should be done, but this is too big

I'm against it

I'm "meh" for it

protest vote (sure, you can do it here where it doesn't matter)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: opinion of the second Covid bailout of the airlines  (Read 1459 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2020, 06:15:06 AM »

Congress passed a $50B bailout in April, $25B in cheap loans, $25B to cover workers ($715k per job), now Trump, Pelosi and Senate Republicans all want to spend another $25B (again, $715k per job for 6 months).
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 06:26:39 AM »

i'm for it
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 10:52:34 AM »

I support bailing out massive industries because if they fail, it would only make the recession worse (sane)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 02:01:13 PM »

As an ex-pilot, I have to stand with the airlines. No, that is not the principled thing to do, but I am just as self-interested as anyone.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 04:04:25 PM »

No industry bailout w/o direct financial support for each and every American. So no, let them fail
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 04:18:00 PM »

No industry bailout w/o direct financial support for each and every American. So no, let them fail

They employ hundreds of thousands of workers directly, and millions indirectly.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 04:45:00 PM »

Green avatars consistently have some of the worst takes
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 05:02:37 PM »

Green avatars consistently have some of the worst takes

Yes, I agree.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 05:17:27 PM »

Yea and there's millions of ppl unemployed throughout america - they should all be helped, not specific industries with good lobbying helped out
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 05:40:39 PM »

Yea and there's millions of ppl unemployed throughout america - they should all be helped, not specific industries with good lobbying helped out
Or maybe different industries are facing different challenges.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 11:07:03 PM »

Problem is, once the pandemic is over it's doubtful that the airline industry will return to its former glory.  Business travel will not return to pre-pandemic levels anytime soon, maybe not even anytime in the 2020s, and it is business travel that funds the airlines by and large. Tourist/personal travel is just a way to make some incremental revenue at an incremental expense.

Any program that insists that the airlines not downsize at all is wasteful.

That said, I expect United will pull out of its commercial vaults, tho probably update it some, a classic commercial in which some sales manager for a struggling company calls everyone in to a big meeting, the underlings are wondering which of them are going to get axed, and instead he hands out a bunch of United Airlines tickets and tells his salesmen (salesmen, not salespeople, as this ad was late 70s, early 80s, if I remember correctly) to get hustling and make sales calls in person rather than over the phone, as the stirring Gershwin music plays and everyone on screen gets excited.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2020, 12:03:41 AM »
« Edited: October 09, 2020, 12:07:07 AM by Inshallah Joe Biden Zaroor Jeetega »

Problem is, once the pandemic is over it's doubtful that the airline industry will return to its former glory.  Business travel will not return to pre-pandemic levels anytime soon, maybe not even anytime in the 2020s, and it is business travel that funds the airlines by and large. Tourist/personal travel is just a way to make some incremental revenue at an incremental expense.

That said, I expect United will pull out of its commercial vaults, tho probably update it some, a classic commercial in which some sales manager for a struggling company calls everyone in to a big meeting, the underlings are wondering which of them are going to get axed, and instead he hands out a bunch of United Airlines tickets and tells his salesmen (salesmen, not salespeople, as this ad was late 70s, early 80s, if I remember correctly) to get hustling and make sales calls in person rather than over the phone, as the stirring Gershwin music plays and everyone on screen gets excited.

I see you remember that ad, too. A classic. Gene Hackman voiceover!
It was 1989, btw.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2020, 01:36:11 AM »

Maybe if they start giving more legroom and better snacks.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2020, 03:00:26 AM »

shocked that people would be against helping the airlines, after all they've done for us
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 10:36:56 PM »

Only if they pay us back in the future when they are raking in the dough again. The problem with these many examples of picking winning and losing industries is that the recipients of our cash never pay us back. I've seen conflicting information on whether Wall Street ever repaid us for all the cash Bush pushed their way in 2008.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 10:20:41 AM »

Problem is, once the pandemic is over it's doubtful that the airline industry will return to its former glory.  Business travel will not return to pre-pandemic levels anytime soon, maybe not even anytime in the 2020s, and it is business travel that funds the airlines by and large. Tourist/personal travel is just a way to make some incremental revenue at an incremental expense.

Isn't this extremely dependent on the airline? Sure, for mainline airlines their biggest revenue source is business.

But there are tons of leisure oriented airlines out there. Going by that description, I would expect airlines like Ryanair or Easyjet to be in good shape starting in 2022.  And the same applies to whatever their American equivalents is.

Even for mainline airlines they can still definitely "rebrand" in some way, even if this is a huge downturn for them
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2020, 10:21:55 AM »
« Edited: October 28, 2020, 11:10:28 AM by Senator tack50 (Lab-Lincoln) »

Maybe if they start giving more legroom and better snacks.
Going by recent airline trends, if anything you should expect less legroom and no snacks whatsoever (hell, I have had food in an airplane very few times in my life)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2020, 10:31:23 AM »
« Edited: October 28, 2020, 10:35:07 AM by I don't worship a concept, I follow a King »

Problem is, once the pandemic is over it's doubtful that the airline industry will return to its former glory.  Business travel will not return to pre-pandemic levels anytime soon, maybe not even anytime in the 2020s, and it is business travel that funds the airlines by and large. Tourist/personal travel is just a way to make some incremental revenue at an incremental expense.

Isn't this extremely dependent on the airline? Sure, for mainline airlines their biggest revenue source is business.

But there are tons of leisure oriented airlines out there. Going by that description, I would expect airlines like Ryanair or Easyjet to be in good shape starting in 2022.  And the same applies to whatever their American equivalents is.

Even for mainline airlines they can still definitely "rebrand" in some way, even if this is a huge downturn for them

Well, we're talking about a bailout of airlines in the US, where budget airlines are a small fraction of the market. Even Southwest carries a lot of business traffic. The US is one country, so there is a lot more demand for business travel where people have to go from everywhere to everywhere, while international business travel in Europe is mostly limited to relatively few city pairs that are often connected by rail. Business travel ensures there is little seasonality in the US market compared to the leisure-dominated European market, which has massive seasonality. But that also means that their business models fall apart when business travel demand is depressed, since they have a relatively fixed cost base and operational strategy changes are very costly and time-consuming.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2020, 01:39:34 PM »

Where’s the nationalization option?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2020, 08:48:35 PM »