Opinion of Roe vs Wade (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:15:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Roe vs Wade (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Roe vs Wade
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 100

Author Topic: Opinion of Roe vs Wade  (Read 2809 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« on: September 28, 2020, 02:13:26 PM »

In the years leading up to Roe, approximately 1 million women each year had an illegal abortion. The vast majority of those women had to resort either to dangerous self-induced abortions or to the dark & often forbidding underworld of untrained & unreliable back-alley abortionists. As a result, many thousands suffered serious illness or permanent injury, not to mention those who died in the course of illegal abortions.

The realities of that world alone makes Roe a freedom decision.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 07:34:16 AM »

In the years leading up to Roe, approximately 1 million women each year had an illegal abortion. The vast majority of those women had to resort either to dangerous self-induced abortions or to the dark & often forbidding underworld of untrained & unreliable back-alley abortionists. As a result, many thousands suffered serious illness or permanent injury, not to mention those who died in the course of illegal abortions.

The realities of that world alone makes Roe a freedom decision.

One million women getting abortions each year didn't occur until after Roe v. Wade.  When abortion is illegal, less women get abortions.
Seriously, Democrats avoiding the central moral issue of this is obvious bullsh**t.

So tell me, guys, how does it feel to so confidently lie?

Just admit that you don't give a sh*t about women & this'll be easier for everybody.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 10:28:41 AM »

Brucejoel, the article you cited noted:

In 1967 (DC note: i.e. just before the states began liberalizing their abortion laws), researchers confirmed this estimate by extrapolating data from a randomized-response survey conducted in North Carolina: They concluded that a total of 800,000 induced (mostly illegal) abortions were performed nationally each year

Snip

In deciding Roe v. Wade in January 1973, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that restrictive state abortion laws were unconstitutional, thereby legalizing induced abortion throughout the country. As a result, the number of legal abortions increased to almost 1.6 million in 1980.

It doesn't seem all that unreasonable to surmise that legalizing abortion materially increases the number of abortions based on those figures.

CELTICEMPIRE stated that "one million women getting abortions each year didn't occur until after Roe v. Wade," & the data cited by the article that I brought up showed that it was known in 1955 (i.e. 17 years before Roe) that up to 1.2 million illegal abortions were occurring annually. I wasn't arguing that legalizing abortion didn't increase the number of abortions, because of course that simply wouldn't be true. I was, however, refuting CELTICEMPIRE's outright lie.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies