Did heterosexuality exist in the Americas before 1492?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:57:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Did heterosexuality exist in the Americas before 1492?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Did heterosexuality exist in the Americas before 1492?  (Read 960 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2020, 03:34:08 PM »

Unless I am incorrect, the extent to which we can call those "permanent structures" is debatable. Most of those structures are now gone, and those that remain have become increasingly overgrown to the point that they resemble grassy hills. Not exactly Giza.
They have been purposefully flattened for agriculture and housing in the past, but to call them non permanent is rather odd for a structure that’s been standing for over a thousand years. And it was an urban area equivalent to the largest in contemporary Europe.

A mound made of earth rather than rock or metal is unusual for a structure, but that doesn’t make it “not a structure.” Many of our oldest cities appear on mounds unintentionally built over thousands of years as a new city was built on the old. This was a city that could survive extremely high floods; in fact, it was better suited for floods than virtually any of its contemporary cities in the Old World.

What’s more, the movement of such vast amounts of earth is very, very difficult, and it is a feat comparable to a smaller version of Giza. Unlike almost all pyramids, it functioned as a place to live, as an extension of how much land the city had. It was very similar to the tactics used in the Raising of Chicago, in that it increased drainage (very important for urban areas), protected from floods, and, unlike the latter, increased the area of livable land.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2020, 04:25:21 PM »

I was clearly referring to the natives of the United States with that remark. I have been to the pyramids in Mexico and climbed them myself.
Are you unfamiliar with the Mississippian mounds? Cahokia was an entire city built upon high, man made mounds, the largest of which was as big as a pyramid. It was fairly close to Saint Louis, and at its height, was slightly larger in population than the contemporary city of London.

The correct geographical descriptor for this wonderful site is not “close to St. Louis,” but rather “in Illinois.” Smiley
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2020, 04:26:07 PM »

I was clearly referring to the natives of the United States with that remark. I have been to the pyramids in Mexico and climbed them myself.
Are you unfamiliar with the Mississippian mounds? Cahokia was an entire city built upon high, man made mounds, the largest of which was as big as a pyramid. It was fairly close to Saint Louis, and at its height, was slightly larger in population than the contemporary city of London.

Unless I am incorrect, the extent to which we can call those "permanent structures" is debatable. Most of those structures are now gone, and those that remain have become increasingly overgrown to the point that they resemble grassy hills. Not exactly Giza.

You seem to be using a very narrow definition of "permanent structures" that would exclude most of the architectural products of civilizations that built with wood rather than stone. If Japan was suddenly depopulated much of Kyoto and Nara would soon cease to be "permanent structures" by this standard too.

Hmm, I suppose "permanent structure" can refer to just any building with a roof that stays in one place. Nevertheless, I was thinking more about structures that can stand the test of time.

I guess I'm just not sure what whether a civilization builds structures that last indefinitely without upkeep has to do with the soundness of its beliefs about sexuality. It's easy enough to imagine, at least in theory, an extremely "eco-friendly" future Western society where everything is biodegradable and most or all buildings are designed to rot or disintegrate within a few years of ceasing to be actively used. Would the values of that society lack historical resonance or relevance for that reason? I don't see that they would.
Saruku

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2020, 06:07:20 PM »

You seem to be using a very narrow definition of "permanent structures" that would exclude most of the architectural products of civilizations that built with wood rather than stone. If Japan was suddenly depopulated much of Kyoto and Nara would soon cease to be "permanent structures" by this standard too.

Hmm, I suppose "permanent structure" can refer to just any building with a roof that stays in one place. Nevertheless, I was thinking more about structures that can stand the test of time.
ancestral puebloans
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2020, 07:05:00 PM »

The correct geographical descriptor for this wonderful site is not “close to St. Louis,” but rather “in Illinois.” Smiley
Illinois did not exist in the Americas before 1492.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies