would you support a constitutional amendment to ban handguns?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 12:21:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  would you support a constitutional amendment to ban handguns?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: ....
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: would you support a constitutional amendment to ban handguns?  (Read 22141 times)
David S
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2006, 09:14:50 PM »

Guns are a serious threat to human life and should be treated as such.

Yet, with millions of handguns, the total deaths by firearm number roughly 30,000 a year, half of which are suicides which I don't think you can really blame the gun for.

Speaking of suicide, in Japan the suicide rate is more than double what it is here. http://www.who.int/mental_health/prevention/suicide/suiciderates/en/
In fact their combined rate of suicide and homicide is also higher than ours. In Japan handguns are outlawed and that fact is frequently cited as the reason for Japan's low homicide rate. So how come they have such a high suicide rate?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2006, 09:33:36 PM »

Speaking of suicide, in Japan the suicide rate is more than double what it is here. http://www.who.int/mental_health/prevention/suicide/suiciderates/en/
In fact their combined rate of suicide and homicide is also higher than ours. In Japan handguns are outlawed and that fact is frequently cited as the reason for Japan's low homicide rate. So how come they have such a high suicide rate?

Cultural differences, one of the many reasons why it's very difficult to make valid comparisons internationally when it comes to guns and various other issues.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2006, 10:29:31 PM »

Canada banned handguns over 80 years ago, so according to Everett we must all be idiots Smiley
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2006, 10:40:11 PM »

Canada banned handguns over 80 years ago, so according to Everett we must all be idiots Smiley

Well duh, you are Canadians after all. Grin
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2006, 10:41:43 PM »

Clearly. Also, according to Straha, we all have Down's Syndrome!
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2006, 06:56:56 AM »

Clearly. Also, according to Straha, we all have Down's Syndrome!

All your Canadians are belong to us!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2006, 08:44:00 AM »

In the US-maybe. In Australia-no. We've already banned them, more or less, and guns shouldn't be in the constitution, in a supportive or non-supportive way.

I support repealing the second amendment in the states, for sure. Then, each state should ban them. But gun ownership, just like gay marriage, isn't/shouldn't be a constitutional issue.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2006, 10:55:06 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2006, 10:57:35 AM by David S »

Cultural differences, one of the many reasons why it's very difficult to make valid comparisons internationally when it comes to guns and various other issues.

Well I'm tempted to say the Japanese are committing suicide because they are so depressed over the lack of guns. But actually I think your assessment is exactly correct, cultural differences. But no one ever considers that as a possible explanation for their low murder rate.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2006, 11:23:48 AM »

Well I'm tempted to say the Japanese are committing suicide because they are so depressed over the lack of guns. But actually I think your assessment is exactly correct, cultural differences. But no one ever considers that as a possible explanation for their low murder rate.

I think Japan has a higher suicide rate for two reasons:

1. Their culture is one which emphasises that personal faults affect your family and dishonour them.
2. They are Buddhist.

I doubt it has anything to do with guns.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2006, 02:39:39 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2006, 02:46:01 PM by Senator Gabu »

Canada a murder rate per capita that is almost a third of America's, and I don't particularly see all that many cultural differences between those two countries.

A random fact that I noticed while thinking about the suicide rates mentioned is that Canada has slightly higher suicide rates than America in every age group except those above age 65, at which point American suicide rates go way up, easily passing Canada's rates.  I don't really know how to explain that one.

Also, another interesting fact is that Americans are subject to 68% more burglaries per capita than Canadians, but 78% of Americans feel that they are not at a high risk of burglary, compared to only 66% of Canadians who feel the same way.  I guess this goes to show that guns make people think they're safer... Tongue
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2006, 02:57:36 PM »

im just fed up with picking up the paper every day and reading about another young person shot.

Obviously this is a literacy issue, not a gun control issue.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2006, 02:57:46 PM »

Canada a murder rate per capita that is almost a third of America's, and I don't particularly see all that many cultural differences between those two countries.

This is why I said cultural differences were 'one of many' reasons that international comparisons are different. Let me tell you an interesting fact - when ice cream sales go up, the murder rate also tends to go up. Obviously, this is a correlation and not a causation. The real cause for both going up at once is a rise in temperature. When it's hot, people tend to go out more, interact with more people, and also many people get irritable aggressive in hot weather, so you end up with better conditions for murder. Canada is further north and cooler than the US on average, so this can partially explain the difference in murder rates. Of course this doesn't fully explain it, but there are other differences.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I can offer a partial explanation - suicide is generally higher in most areas in winter. Why is this? I can't give an exact explanation, but it has to do with the fact that it's darker in winter for longer periods of time. Since Canada is further north, it has longer winters, so higher suicide rates are higher. It's due to something called winter depression, or seasonal affective disorder in more technical terms.

As for the after 65 part, I don't know. Might be worth looking into.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2006, 03:27:05 PM »

1. Their culture is one which emphasises that personal faults affect your family and dishonour them.
2. They are Buddhist.

I do not think they would like being called Buddhists. That is a largely Chinese religion. In Japan it is Shinto.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2006, 04:40:22 PM »

2. They are Buddhist.

I do not think they would like being called Buddhists. That is a largely Chinese religion. In Japan it is Shinto.

Shinto originated from Japan, but Buddhism is also big. In truth, most Japanese identify themselves with both religions. The Japanese tend to incorporate many things from many different religions into their lives.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2006, 10:03:35 PM »

A random fact that I noticed while thinking about the suicide rates mentioned is that Canada has slightly higher suicide rates than America in every age group except those above age 65, at which point American suicide rates go way up, easily passing Canada's rates.  I don't really know how to explain that one.

Also, another interesting fact is that Americans are subject to 68% more burglaries per capita than Canadians, but 78% of Americans feel that they are not at a high risk of burglary, compared to only 66% of Canadians who feel the same way.  I guess this goes to show that guns make people think they're safer... Tongue

You really must be ignorant.

Sometime look at the murder rate among the various racial groups in the United States, then use the racial percentages of Canada.  If the United States had the same racial percentages as Canada, we would have a murder rate of about the same (look at the murder rates in the Dakotas for example)
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2006, 12:20:11 AM »

no
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2006, 12:21:18 AM »

Canada has a much lower population then the US to begin with, Gabu.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2006, 12:27:33 AM »

He's referring to murder rate per capita, which takes into consideration the population difference.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2006, 12:37:36 AM »

Sometime look at the murder rate among the various racial groups in the United States, then use the racial percentages of Canada.  If the United States had the same racial percentages as Canada, we would have a murder rate of about the same (look at the murder rates in the Dakotas for example)

Are you saying that Hispanics inherently are more violent, or that immigrants in general tend to be more violent?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2006, 12:38:18 AM »

He's referring to murder rate per capita, which takes into consideration the population difference.

Ah, ok, wasn't sure, thanks.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2006, 12:38:52 AM »

Are you saying that Hispanics inherently are more violent, or that immigrants in general tend to be more violent?

Illegal immigrants definately do drive up the crime rate.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2006, 01:12:49 AM »
« Edited: May 17, 2006, 01:19:12 AM by Senator Gabu »

Here is the racial breakdown of Seattle:

White 73.49%
Asian 13.12%
Black 8.44%
Native American 1.00%
Pacific Islander 0.50%
Other 2.38%
Multiple 4.46%

Here is the racial breakdown of Toronto:

White 57.2%
Asian 29.0%
    Chinese 10.6%
    South Asian 10.3%
    Filipino 3.5%
    West Asian 1.5%
    Southeast Asian 1.4%
    Korean 1.2%
    Japanese 0.5%
Black 8.3%
Hispanic 2.2%
Arab 0.9%
Other 1.5%

They look pretty similar, right?  Toronto just has more Asians.  So this would likely give Toronto a similar homicide rate to Seattle, right?

HOMICIDE RATE PER 100,000
Seattle - 5.9
Toronto - 1.8

Whoops.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2006, 10:34:04 AM »

Most certainly positively NOT.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2006, 10:41:47 AM »

People who want gun control are retards
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2006, 11:03:54 AM »

No. Just because I wouldn't own one myself, doesn't give me the right to deny that right unto others

Dave
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies