Trump Praises General Lee in Minnesota
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:16:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump Praises General Lee in Minnesota
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Trump Praises General Lee in Minnesota  (Read 2556 times)
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2020, 07:50:27 PM »

Confederate flags up north are a thing. They are not common per say but they're there.

I've driven around in rural New England quite a bit, and while Confederate Flags up there aren't exactly common, you do see them. Early last year, I drove extensively in Nevada, Utah, and Arizona and oddly didn't see a single Confederate flag. They may be more common in rural OH, MI, & IN, but I've never driven there so I can't give a first-hand account.

My Ontario neighbour has a confederate flag on his back porch door.

Now that is strange.
Did this person once live in Southern US?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Canada

Southern heritage has lax borders.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2020, 11:21:39 PM »

Confederate flags up north are a thing. They are not common per say but they're there.

I've driven around in rural New England quite a bit, and while Confederate Flags up there aren't exactly common, you do see them. Early last year, I drove extensively in Nevada, Utah, and Arizona and oddly didn't see a single Confederate flag. They may be more common in rural OH, MI, & IN, but I've never driven there so I can't give a first-hand account.

Now that is strange.
I've never spoken to him. His backyard is adjacent to the area behind my apartment where our little parking lot for tenants is.

The closest thing I can think of is that some strongly pro-gun Canadians might associate "2nd amendment" rights with southern heritage? Or he's a full blown racist (and/or an American immigrant).
LBJer
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2020, 10:26:19 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2020, 10:44:22 PM by LBJer »

"There were very fine people on both sides of the Civil War"

Well, actually that would be a true statement, unlike when Donald Trump said it about the people in Charlottesville, even though one "side" there consisted of violent neo-Nazis.  Don't get me wrong--I find slavery to be an abomination and am very glad the Union won.  But to suggest that every individual who fought for the Confederacy was evil and deserves to be condemned today is ridiculous.  
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2020, 10:33:24 PM »

Now that is strange.
I've never spoken to him. His backyard is adjacent to the area behind my apartment where our little parking lot for tenants is.

The closest thing I can think of is that some strongly pro-gun Canadians might associate "2nd amendment" rights with southern heritage? Or he's a full blown racist (and/or an American immigrant).

People who rep the Confederacy proudly don't tend to be employable in highly skilled jobs, so they're not likely to emigrate. Not to say there aren't racists in all walks of life, but wealthier ones tend to keep it under wraps.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2020, 10:40:42 PM »

RE: The Confederate Flag...

First of all, I adamantly oppose anyone flying that flag, let alone in the frickin' North.  It saddens me deeply that many culturally conservative and/or rural Northerners have felt alienated enough to adopt a flag of a group that their own culturally conservative and rural ancestors fought and died to defeat.  Primary sources are quite clear that there was no "urban-rural divide" with one's support for the Union ... heck, if anything, the rural areas of the North were more fervent about fighting the war to preserve the Union than cities like New York or Boston.

With that said, the flag sadly has come to symbolize "country life" or something of that nature to many, and I would hypothesize that the areas in which it is most popular in the North are in states with huge urban-rural divides?  I could see someone from rural New York who hates the influence NYC has on the state falling for that traitorous rag moreso than someone from rural South Dakota.

Lastly, let's remember that there are small regions of Illinois, Indiana (has been mentioned) and Ohio (has been mentioned) that probably historically felt more in common with the South than their own states.  Southern Illinois had segregated schools WAY past the rest of the state in the Twentieth Century, for example.  So, I would be less surprised at somebody in Southern IL flying that flag than I would at someone from rural Central IL flying it, though the latter does depressingly exist, too.

Yeah screw Yankees who fly the flag 100%. I think Beaver 2.0 a few months ago did have a good post defending the use of southerners flying the flag and although he may disagree with it, they aren't deserving of extreme contempt.

It's times like these that I am thankful to have had a summer home in Virginny so that I can claim my exemption.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2020, 06:37:09 AM »

Recall how that statue in Austria of Skorzeny is doing?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2020, 07:54:29 AM »

Supporting the Confederacy seems to have become a stock part of Mr. Trump's rally speech:
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2020, 09:12:13 AM »

Remember the leak from Trumpworld that said Trump uses the stereotypes of aggrieved white people to base his campaign speeches off of? I think that's why he's doing this sort of thing everywhere. Not saying that the people who come to Trump rallies are representative of the average Trump voter, so maybe Trump doesn't even fully understand his own base.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies