Gallup: 61% of Americans Support Abolishing Electoral College
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:47:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gallup: 61% of Americans Support Abolishing Electoral College
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gallup: 61% of Americans Support Abolishing Electoral College  (Read 1605 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 26, 2020, 09:41:51 AM »

https://news.gallup.com/poll/320744/americans-support-abolishing-electoral-college.aspx

I'm in favor.  It doesn't actually help small states in any meaningful way.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 10:01:44 AM »

On yet another issue, there is a massive partisan gap between Democrats and Republicans, with 89% of Democrats in favor of abolishing the College, and 77% of Republicans opposed. A majority of independents (68%) are in favor of abolishing it, which is where we derive the majority of Americans from. This is unsurprising, given that the Electoral College, in the four elections that it has diverged from the popular vote, has always worked to the advantage of the Republicans, and to the detriment of the Democrats.

As an independent myself, I am personally for abolishing the Electoral College, but I believe that the best and most constitutionally sound way to do so is through constitutional amendment. I don't support the National Popular Vote Compact due to my concerns over its constitutionality, although I do recognize that an amendment is virtually impossible at this stage.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 10:12:58 AM »

The only way it gets abolished is if a Republican wins the popular vote but loses the electoral college and that's not going to happen anytime soon.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 10:14:16 AM »

Obviously I support, but it doesn't really work unless you have an identical ballot and voting rules in all 50 states. Otherwise, Democratic states should lower the voting age to 0 and pass mandatory mail-in voting.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 10:14:54 AM »

The only way it gets abolished is if a Republican wins the popular vote but loses the electoral college and that's not going to happen anytime soon.

If that happened this November, Republicans would likely try to pass it immediately and have it apply retroactively to keep Trump in power.
Wakie77
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 10:21:49 AM »

The electoral college is an idea which no longer really makes sense.  America is one nation, not a conglomerate of 50 separate nations.  It makes no sense that a voter in Wyoming technically has more individual influence over the election than anyone from any other state.  It makes no sense that American citizens in Puerto Rico don’t get a say over who will lead their nation.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 11:11:12 AM »

The Electoral College is trash. It's such a waste of democratic energy. I would be happy to see this system abolished.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 02:03:06 PM »

The sad thing is that the American people support a lot of sane things, but they won't happen because a number of powerful interests are against it. Their primary arm to prevent this is called the Republican Party. And since constitutional changes are difficult, they don't even need to control the federal government.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 02:27:29 PM »

Yeah, due to the fact, Hillary won the election and would have done a great job on Covid and won the PVI, and Trump botched the Covid 19 response
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 02:56:20 PM »

It could happen if you strategically had dems nationwide leave the pres ballot blank. 2m in California 2m total across safe R states.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 04:05:19 PM »

Yeah, due to the fact, Hillary won the election and would have done a great job on Covid and won the PVI, and Trump botched the Covid 19 response

Covid might not have happened at all if you change history (any part of it) years back.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 04:06:49 PM »

The tipping-point state did vote to the left of the nation in 2012, 2008 and 2004. It isn't as fixed as it seems but there's a big element of random chance, so it is possible.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2020, 04:54:19 PM »

Inb4 a blue avatar says this is why we should keep it
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2020, 05:02:40 PM »

Inb4 a blue avatar says this is why we should keep it
try an orange one (and left-leaning one at that).  Wink
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2020, 06:18:20 PM »

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 06:56:10 PM »

Good. We need to end minority rule.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 08:18:35 PM »

At the very least, they should make it a count rather than a physical vote (no more possibility of faithless electors) and require states to allocate proportionally, including decimals to the tenth or hundredth. The winner take all system gives too big of a prize for a narrow win and silences the voices of all the blue state Republicans and red state Democrats.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2020, 08:34:54 PM »

I'm fine with the electoral vote system, but there shouldn't be an actual Electoral College with electors.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2020, 01:38:34 AM »

So long as we're re-writing the Constitution anyway, why not just abolish the Presidency? Donald Trump's time in the White House has demonstrated the many flaws of putting so much power into one set of hands. Going through all the effort to abolish the EC seems to be just jockeying for political advantage rather than fixing the core problem.

My personal thought is to replace the Presidency with something more like the Swiss executive council model, with the department heads nominated by the majority party, but subject to something like a two-thirds majority approval vote that Green Line suggested in one of the threads on Supreme Court reform. (You'd still have to deal with the problem that Republicans are bad faith participants in any governmental system; this would be about fixing the Executive, not fixing our nation's fascist problem.) If we're really attached to the idea of having The President, the job could be reduced to a ceremonial head of state only position (either chosen by the quaint Electoral College system, or a straight popular vote). You could even have the President be the (non-voting) Chair of the executive council.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2020, 03:37:53 AM »

On yet another issue, there is a massive partisan gap between Democrats and Republicans, with 89% of Democrats in favor of abolishing the College, and 77% of Republicans opposed. A majority of independents (68%) are in favor of abolishing it, which is where we derive the majority of Americans from. This is unsurprising, given that the Electoral College, in the four elections that it has diverged from the popular vote, has always worked to the advantage of the Republicans, and to the detriment of the Democrats.

As an independent myself, I am personally for abolishing the Electoral College, but I believe that the best and most constitutionally sound way to do so is through constitutional amendment. I don't support the National Popular Vote Compact due to my concerns over its constitutionality, although I do recognize that an amendment is virtually impossible at this stage.

Maybe if Kerry had won while losing the popular vote the gap would be smaller.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2020, 04:02:40 AM »

If Democrats do well in gubernatorial and state legislative elections this year, how close can the NPVIC get to 270 electoral votes?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2020, 09:46:26 AM »

The electoral college is an idea which no longer really makes sense.  America is one nation, not a conglomerate of 50 separate nations.  It makes no sense that a voter in Wyoming technically has more individual influence over the election than anyone from any other state.  It makes no sense that American citizens in Puerto Rico don’t get a say over who will lead their nation.

Wyoming has no influence---who visits Wyoming other than getting $$$$$ from rich conservatives like Cheney?

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies