66% of Oregonians Think Portland Protests are Violent and Counterproductive
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 08:48:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  66% of Oregonians Think Portland Protests are Violent and Counterproductive
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 66% of Oregonians Think Portland Protests are Violent and Counterproductive  (Read 980 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2020, 02:31:52 PM »

https://www.wweek.com/news/state/2020/09/10/most-oregonians-think-portland-protests-are-violent-and-counterproductive/

The survey, released by Portland-based polling firm DHM Research, shows just 29% of likely Oregon voters think police are responding with too much force to nightly protests against police, which have now lasted more than 100 days. Another 42% think police aren't using enough force, and 18% believe police are using the right amount.

Across Oregon, 66% of voters disapprove of the protests. What's more surprising is that support isn't much greater in the Portland metro area, where 61% of voters disapprove.

#Worst Oregon Governor Ever

Knute losing in 2018 was literally by far the worst 2018 result
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 02:41:53 PM »

I don't exactly know what you want Kate Brown to do, and how people opposing the protests affects Kate Brown.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 02:43:03 PM »

I don't exactly know what you want Kate Brown to do, and how people opposing the protests affects Kate Brown.

She needs to send in the national guard
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 02:44:06 PM »

And make the situation worse no.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 02:44:32 PM »

No to stop this
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 03:01:08 PM »

No to stop this

Republicans would support Tiananmen Square if in china lmao.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 03:02:04 PM »

No to stop this

uh what, the national guard has been sent in many times to stop riots
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 03:08:12 PM »

No to stop this

Usually with bad results. The National Guard is largely not trained in crowd control. Local police forces are.

There is no evidence that the Portland PD and County Sheriff's Department aren't numerically overwhelmed by the handful of continuing protesters, and the smaller percentage they're of which are destructive assholes. The only, and I emphasize only reason to bring in the National Guard for crowd control is if the local police authorities are numerically overwhelmed and the Civil Authorities have no choice but to resort with a military shooting response.

I know BLM rubs you the wrong way, but is that really, truly, what you want?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 03:10:59 PM »

No to stop this

Usually with bad results. The National Guard is largely not trained in crowd control. Local police forces are.

There is no evidence that the Portland PD and County Sheriff's Department aren't numerically overwhelmed by the handful of continuing protesters, and the smaller percentage they're of which are destructive assholes. The only, and I emphasize only reason to bring in the National Guard for crowd control is if the local police authorities are numerically overwhelmed and the Civil Authorities have no choice but to resort with a military shooting response.

National Guard doesn't mean that though
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 03:19:00 PM »

No to stop this

...yes it does? The National Guard is literally a component of the military. It's the portion of the Army and Air Force reserves that function as state militias.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 03:28:34 PM »

No to stop this

...yes it does? The National Guard is literally a component of the military. It's the portion of the Army and Air Force reserves that function as state militias.

Look at Berkeley in the 1960s , their were less casualties I beleive after the national guard was sent in then before when the regular police where there

GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 03:39:22 PM »

not surprising, but probably won't affect things too much for a variety of reasons
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 03:50:12 PM »

My parents moved out of a dictatorship to get away from brutality by the state into a land where there isn’t crushing of dissent.

Doing this, and establishing this as a precedent, will only further that tightening the same way our civil liberties got taken away from the Patriot Act. If reacting to deteriorating living conditions gets the response of the baton, then real change is done.

Edit: So you really want to risk another Kent State massacre and rise of actual paramilitarism on our streets? Are you deliberately obtuse?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 04:23:58 PM »

What is the actual issue with Portland?  I can tell you that the issue with Seattle is that our city attorney Pete Holmes and our county prosecutor Dan Satterberg both refuse to prosecute protesters who are arrested, no matter what their crimes are or how many times they're arrested.  As a result, we have this endless cycle where they f--k everything up, the police arrest them, they go to jail and post bail pretty quickly, and then ultimately never have to go to court because Holmes and/or Satterberg drop the charges.

There is nothing that Mayor Jenny Durkan can do about this.  There is nothing that Governor Jay Inslee can do about this.  The voters need to vote out Holmes and vote out Satterberg.  Unfortunately, 95% of Seattle has no idea who these two men are, and continue to blame the mayor for things she has no control over.  The stupidity and ignorance of Seattle voters never ends.

Anyway, I wonder if the situation in Portland is something similar.  Surely if Wheeler or Brown had any power to actually solve the problem they would have done it by now.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 04:26:56 PM »

What is the actual issue with Portland?  I can tell you that the issue with Seattle is that our city attorney Pete Holmes and our county prosecutor Dan Satterberg both refuse to prosecute protesters who are arrested, no matter what their crimes are or how many times they're arrested.  As a result, we have this endless cycle where they f--k everything up, the police arrest them, they go to jail and post bail pretty quickly, and then ultimately never have to go to court because Holmes and/or Satterberg drop the charges.

There is nothing that Mayor Jenny Durkan can do about this.  There is nothing that Governor Jay Inslee can do about this.  The voters need to vote out Holmes and vote out Satterberg.  Unfortunately, 95% of Seattle has no idea who these two men are, and continue to blame the mayor for things she has no control over.  The stupidity and ignorance of Seattle voters never ends.

Anyway, I wonder if the situation in Portland is something similar.  Surely if Wheeler or Brown had any power to actually solve the problem they would have done it by now.

Yeah Portland has a similar prosecution from what I heard.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 04:31:33 PM »

My parents moved out of a dictatorship to get away from brutality by the state into a land where there isn’t crushing of dissent.

Doing this, and establishing this as a precedent, will only further that tightening the same way our civil liberties got taken away from the Patriot Act. If reacting to deteriorating living conditions gets the response of the baton, then real change is done.

Edit: So you really want to risk another Kent State massacre and rise of actual paramilitarism on our streets? Are you deliberately obtuse?

The 'War on Drugs' took away more civil liberties than the Patriot Act.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2020, 06:05:50 PM »

The 'War on Drugs' took away more civil liberties than the Patriot Act.
The Patriot Act was a hefty decline that fell after many rights rolled down a cliff. However you look at it, it’s hard to be on the incline after the damage and shock experienced these few decades.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2020, 06:10:45 PM »

Oregon:
Safe Biden—->Likely Trump
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2020, 06:19:30 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/21/us/black-lives-matter-protests-tactics.html

Terrance Moses was watching protesters against police brutality march down his quiet residential street one recent evening when some in the group of a few hundred suddenly stopped and started yelling.

Mr. Moses was initially not sure what the protesters were upset about, but as he got closer, he saw it: His neighbors had an American flag on display.

“It went from a peaceful march, calling out the names, to all of a sudden, bang, ‘How dare you fly the American flag?’” said Mr. Moses, who is Black and runs a nonprofit group in the Portland, Ore., area. “They said take it down. They wouldn’t leave. They said they’re going to come back and burn the house down.”

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2020, 06:26:08 PM »

Terrance Moses was watching protesters against police brutality march down his quiet residential street one recent evening when some in the group of a few hundred suddenly stopped and started yelling.

Mr. Moses was initially not sure what the protesters were upset about, but as he got closer, he saw it: His neighbors had an American flag on display.

“It went from a peaceful march, calling out the names, to all of a sudden, bang, ‘How dare you fly the American flag?’” said Mr. Moses, who is Black and runs a nonprofit group in the Portland, Ore., area. “They said take it down. They wouldn’t leave. They said they’re going to come back and burn the house down.”

sure, that's bad, but 90% are peaceful so this doesn't really mean anything
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2020, 06:33:37 PM »

sure, that's bad, but 90% are peaceful so this doesn't really mean anything

This but unironically.

Actually the number is 93%, and it's actually a good bit higher, because a protest than had just 1 non-peaceful person makes the entire protest count as non-peaceful, rather than just prorating it somehow.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2020, 06:39:30 PM »

"I'm a libertarian! I'm a libertarian!"

Has sampled 31 flavors of boot
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2020, 06:46:55 PM »

Tin soldiers and Domald's coming,
We're finally on our own.
This fall I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Oregon
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2020, 06:54:24 PM »

"I'm a libertarian! I'm a libertarian!"

Has sampled 31 flavors of boot
the best boot for stomping hippies is a tie-dyed pair of Chucks.  I reserve the combat boots for stomping skinheads.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2020, 06:59:05 PM »

I support riots only if they’re organized by bipartisan protesters in a bipartisan manner for a bipartisan cause and supported by bipartisan politicians
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies