Why was the GWB campaign so obssessed with California?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:50:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why was the GWB campaign so obssessed with California?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why was the GWB campaign so obssessed with California?  (Read 2276 times)
tagimaucia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2020, 12:59:20 PM »

Its understandable why it would be seen as a big prize, but they were never, ever realistically close enough to win it.  Yet very close to election day they were investing huge sums of money there. Gore ended up winning by 12. The public polls did appear a bit closer than the final result, but they were still mostly in the high single digits.

Did they really think Bush could win it?  Were they unskewing polls a la Romney's campaign in 2012 to convince themselves?  Was this some kind of galaxy-brained way of getting Gore to also waste money there to defend it(?!)  If things tip slightly differently in Florida, voting-wise or legally, this would have gone down as an all time stupid, hubristic campaign blunder, right?

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 11:37:16 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2020, 11:45:28 PM by Republicans for Biden »

3 days before the election there was the big Bush DUI scandal, which cratered his support among evangelicals. Labor unions and the Democrats had a fantastic turnout operation in 2000, which shocked Karl Rove, as the Democratic ground game was stronger that year. Bush was ahead by around 4-5 points in the polls in late October.

What is ironic is in the dying days of the 2000 election, Al Gore camped out in FL, while Dubya was in CA.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 09:22:35 PM »

Reagan, simple as that.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 09:37:21 PM »

CA had a massive Republican delegation, the largest of any state at the time since Texas still had a majority D delegation and was smaller. They insisted on him helping the top of the ticket to carry them across to victory.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 01:10:13 PM »

I wish this type of elections were today.

Where a Republican is in California campaigning and a Democrat is in Missouri campaigning.

Bush could have won California....
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 01:28:59 PM »

Where a Republican is in California campaigning and a Democrat is in Missouri campaigning.

I agree. In retrospect, Georg W. Bush should have won Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, New Hampshire, Maine, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Oregon, Washington, and California in addition to the states he actually won.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 02:13:51 PM »

I agree. In retrospect, Georg W. Bush should have won Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, New Hampshire, Maine, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Oregon, Washington, and California in addition to the states he actually won.
Hell yeah, as a matter of fact, Bush 43 would have won all 50 states in 2000!!! Landslide. Blowout. Historic!!!
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 03:12:24 PM »

i think it might have been bait. you would have to be really silly to think Bush would have won California
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 03:19:54 PM »

i think it might have been bait. you would have to be really silly to think Bush would have won California

It's not bait, Bush campaigned in California for months, even spending the last days of the 2000 campaign in California campaigning with John McCain to reach Independent voters in Fresno and Burbank......

I would say CA ceased being a swing state in 2000.....Dole had campaigned a lot in CA in 1996 as well

http://p2000.us/statevisitf.html
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 04:01:06 PM »

Maybe Rove was expecting something resembling the 1988 map and wasn’t aware of red state-blue-state polarization until election night?
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 04:43:58 PM »

I think the Bush campaign, in addition to the other factors noted, thought that they really had a chance of winning over Hispanic voters. Just in general, the Bush campaign in 2000 seemed really interested in bringing non-white voters into the GOP. A lot of GOP strategists at the time saw Hispanic voters as "values voters" who just had to be brought into the GOP fold and generally people thought that Bush was well-positioned to do that. I don't think they really thought they could win California, but it was probably part of their own "dream" scenario.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2020, 05:06:22 PM »

Hell yeah, as a matter of fact, Bush 43 would have won all 50 states in 2000!!! Landslide. Blowout. Historic!!!

Well, yeah, if it had been Jeb!
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 10:54:59 PM »

54 electoral votes.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2021, 07:48:37 AM »

California wasn’t that far to the left of the nation in 1996.  Dole overperformed there, so maybe that’s why the Bush campaign thought it could be close.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2021, 10:58:32 PM »

California wasn’t that far to the left of the nation in 1996.  Dole overperformed there, so maybe that’s why the Bush campaign thought it could be close.

Also true.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies