Legislation Introduction Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:02:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Legislation Introduction Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legislation Introduction Thread  (Read 310329 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« on: May 07, 2006, 08:15:27 PM »

This shows yet another reason why Masterjedi should not be PPT.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 02:25:38 PM »

So, why isn't this thread stickied?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 12:08:28 PM »

So, why isn't this thread stickied?

I've stickied it even though there's no reason to. The old thread is fine.

ty
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 12:13:58 AM »

Establishment of Opebo Day Act

1. The sixth of October is hereby designated "Opebo Day", a federal holiday.
2. All federal institutions are to be closed on this day.
3. This is in honor of Opebo's infamous "Max Hardcore" quote which was originally issued on that date in the year of 2005.

If this passes, I will proudly be using my powers of regional nullification against this one.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 09:26:03 AM »

2nd Immigration Reform Bill of 2007

1. The Illegal Immigrant Act (F.L. 18-8) is hereby repealed.

2. Illegal aliens who have been convicted of a state or federal offense and sentenced to a term of imprisonment less than 12 months in duration within the last 5 years of their application shall be denied citizenship in all instances, even if their application is presently pending under the auspices of F.L. 18-8.

3. Illegal aliens who have been convicted of a state or federal offense and sentenced to a term of imprisonment less than 12 months in duration not within the last 5 years of their application whose application is presently pending under the auspices of F.L. 18-8 shall be allowed to become citizens, if meeting the separate requirements of all other relevant legislation.

4. Illegal or legal aliens who have become citizens because of changes in the law effectuated by F.L. 18-8 shall not have their citizenship revoked.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 01:46:18 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2007, 10:34:32 PM by Sen. Sam Spade »

Another piece of practical legislation from Sam Spade:

The "Texasindy" Amendment

Clause 5 of Article V, Section 2 of the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia is hereby repealed.

Considering that people can no longer delete their accounts (see texasindy), this clause is somewhat useless.

I still maintain (as I have for quite a while yet) that most of Article 5 should be encompassed within statute, not within Constitutional guidelines, though I really doubt there is support for this at present.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 02:52:17 PM »

I presume this means the earlier bills are withdrawn.  If you could, please modify the original posts on this fact so that I won't accidentally bring them forward.  Thanks.

Also, I want to be co-sponsor of you Withdrawal Amendment to the OSPR, if you are so inclined.  Thanks.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 05:59:05 PM »

In response to Al's ridiculous bill,a slightly more serious yet not too serious one:

Abolishment of Unions Bill

1. The formation of a workers union for the purpose of collective bargaining or any other workplace improvement is prohibited

This is in conflict with a certain provision of the Constitution (I forget which and don't feel like looking) and would need to be made into an Amendment in order to not be frivolous.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 04:55:38 PM »

In response to Al's ridiculous bill,a slightly more serious yet not too serious one:

1. The formation of a workers union for the purpose of collective bargaining or any other workplace improvement is prohibited

This is in conflict with a certain provision of the Constitution (I forget which and don't feel like looking) and would need to be made into an Amendment in order to not be frivolous.

Article VI, Section 10:

Persons in employment shall have the right to organize for the purpose of collective bargaining, with such exceptions as the Senate may provide for by Law on the grounds of vital national interest.

After watching last night's AFL-CIO debate, I have reaffirmed my support to eliminating this clause of the Constitution and would support such legislation, even though it will go nowhere.

So, DWTL, either change the language of this within 24 hours or I'm striking it as frivolous/unconstitutional.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 04:47:10 PM »

The bill is deemed in direct conflict with Article I, Section VI, Clause 10 and is thus removed from the Senate floor as unconstitutional.

Challenges to this ruling may be made per the rules in Article 3, Section 1, Clause 4 of the Senate Rules.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 11:29:32 AM »

Cymraeg Bill

1. Cymraeg (Welsh) is hereby declared to be the Sole Official Language of Bergen Co., NJ.

2. Take that, boyo!

This bill is struck on the grounds of being frivolous (and unconstitutional).  If you wish to challenge, Al, the procedure for doing so is posted above.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 02:20:18 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2007, 06:57:00 PM by Sam Spade »

2nd Immigration Reform Bill of 2007

1. The Illegal Immigrant Act (F.L. 18-8) is hereby repealed.

2. Illegal aliens who have been convicted of a state or federal offense and sentenced to a term of imprisonment less than 12 months in duration within the last 3 years of their application shall be denied citizenship in all instances, even if their application is presently pending under the auspices of F.L. 18-8.  This shall not apply to persons imprisoned for actions which have since become decriminalized.

3. Illegal aliens who have been convicted of a state or federal offense and sentenced to a term of imprisonment less than 12 months in duration not within the last 3 years of their application whose application is presently pending under the auspices of F.L. 18-8 shall be allowed to become citizens, if meeting the separate requirements of all other relevant legislation.

4. Illegal or legal aliens who have become citizens because of changes in the law effectuated by F.L. 18-8 shall not have their citizenship revoked.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 09:41:56 PM »

I would like to object to the reintroduction of three defeated bills in slightly different form as being frivolous.

Actually, the number is four.  Tongue

I doubt I will be trying to remove these bills, b/c I am likely to be overruled by 1/3 of the Senate in these four matters - but I will think about it.  Otherwise, there's no other possible justification.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 11:11:57 AM »

Would the "Illegal is Still Illegal Act" also revoke the citizenship of anyone who has applied for citizenship in the time since going so became legal on May 19? Because the Senate has no rights to revoke citizenship.

That is the reason why I proposed my legislation (I think it's on the previous page), which dealt with that problem (even though I haven't read the Constitution to know for sure).  It was, of course, defeated.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 09:18:41 PM »

Repeal of the Educational Funding Clarification Bill

1.  F.L. 21-3 is hereby repealed.

2.  All funds ($1.9 billion) designated to be given to the respective Regions are hereby to be returned to the Department of Education.

3.  All currently existing taxes on college tuitions are abolished.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 08:22:01 AM »

Return to Reality Amendment

1. Article I, Section 3, Clause 5 is added to the Constitution, with the following language:

The Senate, in conjunction with the President of Atlasia and his Executive Officers, shall provide a detailed accounting of federal expenditures and revenues for the benefit of the Atlasian citizenry at least once every calendar year.  The Senate shall have the power to define the detail and scope of this accounting by appropriate legislation.

2. Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution is repealed.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 11:44:42 PM »

Repeal of the Further Reforming Alcohol Act

F.L. 21-4 is hereby repealed.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 10:45:50 AM »

The "I don't like us being hated" Bill and the Miners Widow Bill have been officially withdrawn.

Sam Spade
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 05:23:10 PM »

The "I don't like us being hated" Bill and the Miners Widow Bill have been officially withdrawn.

Sam Spade

Can't I or someone else just pick up sponsorship?

When I wrote the rule, I specifically wrote it so that legislation which is on the queue moves to the off the list if it hasn't been introduced before resignation.  I have a number of reasons behind this rationale, most assuredly one of these reasons is to entice Senators not to quit before their term is concluded, although it may create some inequitable circumstances such as now.

However, if you wish to reintroduce the legislation, Porce, you may do so, but the legislation will simply start off at the bottom of the queue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies