Legislation Introduction Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:25:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Legislation Introduction Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 74
Author Topic: Legislation Introduction Thread  (Read 311169 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2006, 05:31:53 PM »
« edited: June 21, 2006, 06:58:27 AM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

And if you weren't sick if free trade bills, now you will be! Tongue

Atlasian-Fiji Free Trade Bill

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and Fiji.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this bill.

Atlasian-Solomon Islands Free Trade Bill

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and the Solomon Islands.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this bill.

Atlasian-Switzerland Free Trade Bill

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and Switzerland.

Atlasian-South Africa Free Trade Bill

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and South Africa.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2006, 06:34:35 PM »

Where do I put consitutional amendment suggestions? Here?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2006, 12:10:14 AM »

Yes please!  Anything to interrupt the monotonous stream of bilateral free trade bills!
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2006, 04:32:03 PM »

Yes please!  Anything to interrupt the monotonous stream of bilateral free trade bills!

Thats an exetremely good point you make. I have one more question before I do though:

Does Bono V. Atlasia II still stand relevant? i.e., can the senate still not pass a minimum wage law for the nation? Can it still not run certain means of production?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2006, 04:33:43 PM »

Thats an exetremely good point you make. I have one more question before I do though:

Does Bono V. Atlasia II still stand relevant? i.e., can the senate still not pass a minimum wage law for the nation? Can it still not run certain means of production?

This is not the place for asking questions, the debate thread is. This is just for introducing amendments.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2006, 04:34:43 PM »

This is not the place for asking questions, the debate thread is. This is just for introducing amendments.
Eh, I dont feel like re-typing it, so Ill just skip it. Thanks for telling me for future reference though.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2006, 01:22:43 AM »

My time in the senate runs thin sadly, but I have gotten a chance to all the cool stuff a senator gets to do. That is, all but one: introduce a bill. Cheesy

Delicious Symbols of Atlasia Act

1. The Senate hereby declares New York Style cheesecake the official food of Atlasia, and Chef salad the assistant official food of Atlasia.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2006, 04:52:26 AM »

My time in the senate runs thin sadly, but I have gotten a chance to all the cool stuff a senator gets to do. That is, all but one: introduce a bill. Cheesy

Delicious Symbols of Atlasia Act

1. The Senate hereby declares New York Style cheesecake the official food of Atlasia, and Chef salad the assistant official food of Atlasia.
This needs an amendment banning anybody from eating any other food.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2006, 06:50:06 AM »

I, hereby, introduce this Bill (Part 1):

Consolidated Electoral System Reform Bill

Section 1: Votes

1.   In their vote in the Elections to the Senate and the Presidency, each voter shall list some, none, or all of the candidates in the voter's order of preference for them.
2.   If no numbering of the preferences is stated, then the candidate at the top of the list shall be presumed to be the first preference, the candidate on the second line of the list shall be presumed to be the second preference, and so on.
3.   A voter may cast a write-in vote in any election, except a runoff election.
4.   In order to write-in a candidate, the voter shall not be required to explicitly specify that his or her vote is for a write-in candidate.
5.   In order for write-in votes for a candidate to qualify as countable votes, the person written-in must formally accept the write-in candidacy before the end of voting in the given election.
6.   A voter may vote for "None of the Above" in any election, except a runoff election. Any voter who votes for "None of the Above" may do so only as a first preference; any and all lower preferences of the voter shall be ignored.
7.    If a voter shall explicitly cast a vote in a Senate race for which they are not qualified to vote, then the vote in that Senate race shall be considered non-extant, and the voter may post a new vote in the correct Senate race if applicable

Section 2: Determination of the Winner

1.   If any candidate shall gain a majority of highest preference votes, then that candidate shall be declared the winner of the election.
2.   If no candidate has a majority of highest preference votes, the candidate with the fewest first preferences shall be eliminated, and his or her votes redistributed according to the next-highest preferences of the voters.
3.   If, after the implementation of Clause 2 of this Section, any candidate shall have a majority of the highest preference votes, then that candidate shall be declared the winner of the election. If no such candidate shall exist, then Clause 2 of this Section shall be implemented again until such a candidate does exist, or until all candidates have the same number of highest preference votes.
4.   If two or more candidates are tied for the least number of highest preference votes, but none of those candidates are tied for the greatest number of highest preference votes, then the following procedure shall be used to determine which candidate is eliminated:
i. The candidate with the least total number of preferences expressed by voters shall be eliminated.
ii. The Senate shall vote on which candidate to eliminate, with the Vice President being able to cast a tie-breaking vote if necessary.

Section 3: Run-off Elections

If all remaining candidates shall have the same number of highest preference votes, then the following procedure shall be used to break the tie:

1.    Run-off elections shall begin between midnight Eastern Standard Time on the first Thursday after the initial election and 0001 Eastern Standard Time on the first Friday thereafter, and shall conclude exactly 72 hours after the beginning.
2.   Those candidates who have tied shall be automatically entered onto the ballot. No other candidacies shall be allowed.
3.   Voters shall only be able to cast a vote for one candidate.
4.   If any candidate shall gain a majority of the votes cast, then he shall be declared winner.
5.    In the event that litigation is pending before the Supreme Court at the time a run-off is due to be held, the Supreme Court may delay the run-off in a specified manner if it thinks the result of such litigation would have a substantive impact on the run-off.

Section 4: Tied Run-off Elections

If the Run-off Election procedure specified in section 4 results in a tie, then:

1.   One of the tied candidates may concede their portion of the term. The rules for determining the winner shall proceed based on as if the number tied candidates is reduced by one.
2.   The two candidates shall each serve a Senate session.
a. The two candidates will be allowed to determine the order in which the terms are split.
b. If no agreement is reached regarding the order of the terms that each candidate serves in, if one of the tied candidates is an incumbent, then that candidate shall serve the first session.
c. If both of the tied candidates are incumbents, due to redistricting or other circumstances, or if neither of the candidates are incumbents, and no agreement has been reached regarding the order of the terms that each candidate serves in, then the candidates shall serve in alphabetical order, going by their names used on the Registered Voter Roll.
3.   In the event of a tie between more than two candidates:
a. The tied candidates may make any agreement they see fit.
b. If an agreement cannot be made by (a), the Senate shall either:
i. Select one candidate to serve the entire term.
ii. Select a schedule that will allow all tied candidates to serve a portion of the term.
4.   If one of the term sharing senators resigns or is elected or appointed to another office, than the other will serve out the remainder of the term.

Section 5: None of the Above

If, in an election, the None of the Above option shall have gained more votes than each candidate, then a new election shall be held under the following procedure:

1.    The new election shall be held between midnight Eastern Standard Time on the second Thursday after the initial election and 0001 Eastern Standard Time on the first Friday thereafter at 1800 Eastern Standard Time on the second Thursday after the election, and shall conclude exactly 72 hours after the beginning.
2.   None of the candidates defeated by the None of the Above option in the original may be declared candidates in the new election. However, a voter may still write-in any such candidate.
3.   The candidacy declaration deadline for the new election shall be the same as for special elections.
4.   Except as regards Clause 2 of this Section, all other provisions of this Act shall apply to the new election.

Section 6: Absentee Voting

1.   As mandated by Article V, Section 2, Clause 8 of the Federal Constitution, all voters shall have the right to cast absentee votes after the candidacy declaration period has expired.
2.   Upon the candidacy declaration deadline occurring the Secretary of Forum Affairs or Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs shall establish a thread for absentee voting which shall include a full ballot. In the event that a run-off is necessary, absentee voting shall open as soon as is practical after the certification of the original election results.
3.   Voters wishing to vote by absentee shall post their votes as they otherwise would.
4.   In the event that a person votes by absentee and regularly then both votes will be discounted.

Section 7: Applicability

Any instance of the word "candidate" in Sections 1 through 7 shall be read as "ticket" in the case of Presidential elections.

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2006, 07:20:31 AM »

(Part 2)

Section 8: Candidacy Declarations

1.   The candidacy declaration deadline for regular elections to the Senate shall be seven days before the commencement of the election (i.e. this would be no later than midnight Eastern Standard time on the Thursday prior to the election) and for special elections to the Senate shall be two days before the commencement of the election.
2.   The candidacy declaration deadline for full tickets of a Presidential and Vice-Presidential candidate to declare shall be seven days before the commencement of the election (i.e. this would be no later than midnight Eastern Standard time on the Thursday prior to the election). However, should the Vice-Presidential candidate withdraw his candidacy, then the Presidential candidate may nominate a new Vice-Presidential candidate up to 72 hours before the commencement of the election.
3.   In all cases, the assent of both the Presidential and Vice-Presidential candidate shall be necessary for them to appear together as a ticket on the ballot.

Section 9: Administration of Voting Booths

1.   Whenever possible, the Secretary of Forum Affairs, or the Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs, shall be the administrator of the voting booth. If both shall be absent or unable to administer the voting booth, then the President shall designate an executive officer to do so instead.
2.   The administrator of a voting booth shall be free to design the ballot as he or she sees fit, as long as the content of the ballot is clear and unambiguous.
3.   The administrator of a voting booth shall post links to all relevant statute regarding electoral law on the ballot.
4.   The administrator of a voting booth shall give registered voters seven days advance public notice, in both the Fantasy Elections Forum and the Voting Booth, of the hours in which voting shall take place for all regular Senate elections.
5.   The administrator of a voting booth shall give registered voters seven days advance public notice, in both the Fantasy Elections Forum and the Voting Booth, of the hours in which voting shall take place for all special Senate elections called on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday; and three days advance public notice, in both the Fantasy Elections Forum and the Voting Booth, of the hours in which voting shall take place for all special Senate called on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

Section 10: Certification of Election Results

1.   When the voting period has expired, the administrator of the voting booth or a moderator of the Forum shall lock the thread containing the voting booth. The thread shall not be unlocked except to enter the official certification of the election result onto the thread.
2.   Certification of the election result shall be conducted as soon as reasonably possible after the voting booth shall have closed by the administrator of the voting booth. If the administrator of the voting booth shall not be available to conduct such certification, then he or she shall designate another executive officer of the federal government to carry out such certification in his stead.
3.   In certifying the result the administrator shall list all those votes which he or she has discounted, and the reasons for these votes being discounted. The voting booth administrator shall discount all votes that are invalid under the law, and shall only count those remaining votes for which he or she is able to make a reasonable determination as to the intent of the voter subject to such conditions as imposed by Section 12 of this Act.
4.   The certifying officer may post provisional certifications of the election results, but these shall be of no legal effect.
5.   Once the certifying officer is content that he has a full and complete certification he shall post an official certification which shall be final in all respects, unless a Court order shall instruct otherwise.

Section 11: Reasonable Determination of Intent

1.   Where a voter lists only the Presidenitial candidate of a ticket in a Presidential election and this is the sole occurrence of the Presidential candidate on the ballot, then the vote shall be construed to be for the ticket which the Presidential candidate is a member of.
2.   Where a voter lists all candidates or tickets running and places some mark to the right or left of one and only one of the candidates or tickets, then the vote shall be construed to be for that candidate or ticket.
3.   The enumeration of certain reasonable determinations of intent in this section shall not be construed to be exclusive.
4.   The provisions of this section do not override the Akno21 v. Fritz Supreme Court decision.

Section 12: Concession of Victory

1.   If a candidate shall concede his or her victory of a Senate election after the certification of the election result, then the candidate with the next greatest number of highest preference votes in that election shall then be declared victor.
2.   If both members of a Presidential ticket shall concede their victory in the Presidential election after the certification of the election result, then the members of the ticket with the next greatest number of highest preference votes in that election shall then be declared victors.
3.   If a victor who has conceded shall wish to retract his or her concession, then he or she may only do so with the permission of the newly declared victor.
4.   If an election shall produce a tie, then any candidate or ticket may decline to go forward to the run-off. If such actions shall leave only one candidate or ticket in the runoff, then that candidate or ticket shall be declared the victor.
5.   If a tied candidate or ticket that has withdrawn shall wish to re-enter the run-off, then they may only do so with the permission of the other candidates or tickets in the tie.
6.   Concessions made before the certification of election results, or on or after the date on which the newly elected official is due to be sworn in, are of no legal effect whatsoever.

Section 13: Statute of Limitations

1.   Lawsuits challenging the validity of certified election results shall only be valid if filed with the Supreme Court within one week of the certification of such results.
2.   Lawsuits challenging the validity of election results certified on or before 18 March, 2006 shall not be valid.

Section 14: Federal Activity Requirements

1.   All those persons who have posted at least 25 times in the 8 weeks (56 days) prior to the commencement of an election shall be defined as active for the purposes of that election.
2.   Those persons considered inactive (defined as not active) shall not be qualified to vote in a particular election.
3.   Anyone who has cast an absentee ballot shall be regarded as an active voter, provided he or she fulfills the definition by the time the election commences for which the ballot was cast, of an "active voter"; However, the post containing the ballot shall not count towards the total number of required posts.

This Act consolidates Sections 1 through to 3 of the Unified Electoral Code Act and Section 4 through to 14 (renumbered) of the Electoral System Reform Act

I'll explain the amendments (i.e. changes in green ) once it is on the floor of the Senate

'Hawk'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2006, 08:53:00 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2006, 09:03:09 AM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

I'll introduce these for Ebowed. I can edit them with changes made later if needed.

Rebellion Aid Bill

1. $25 million in monetary aid is given to the Government of the Mideast to help it in restoring harm done by the above mentioned rebellion in the District of Columbia and the state of Maryland.
2. The Senate of Atlasia expresses its heartfelt grief for the friends and families of the 270 people who died in the violence of the rebellion.

Treasonous Rebellion Bill

1. The following acts are hereby declared Acts of Treason.
a.) Rebellion, defined as the use of military forces to overthrow the Federal or any Regional government of Atlasia.
b.) Aiding of a rebellion, defined as the fully knowing and intentional direction of funds, military aid, or strategic advice to a person or group seeking to engage in rebellion.
c.) Terrorism, defined as the unlawful or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating civilians and/or the federal and/or regional governments of Atlasia.

2. Sentencing of an above defined Act of Treason shall be by the presiding Justice; he may use any combination of the following as punishment, depending upon the severity of the offense:
a.) Up to a lifetime ban from voting in any Atlasian elections.
b.) Up to lifetime incarceration in an Atlasian Fantasy Prison.
c.) A fine of up to $1,000,000,000 in fantasy currency.

3. Rights of the defendant.
a.) The defendant shall not be denied the access to adequate legal counsel in the form of an upstanding, active citizen of Atlasia. The defendant also has the right to waive their right to legal counsel.
If the defendant requests legal counsel, but is unable to secure his own adequate legal counsel according to the stipulations above, the presiding Justice shall request the chief judicial officer of the Region which said Defendant resides in, to serve as legal counsel to represent the defense. The chief judicial officer of the Region shall have the right to refuse such a request.
b.) If there is no chief judicial officer of said Region or if the chief judicial officer refuses this request, the Senior Senator of the Region shall be appointed as chief legal counsel, or if there is no Regional senator, the Senior Senator of the District in which Defendant resides in shall be appointed as chief legal counsel.
If the Senior Senator of the Region or District, as stated above, and the Defendant are the same person, then the Junior Senator of the Region shall be appointed as chief legal counselor, or if there is no Regional senator, the Junior Senator of the District in which Defendant resides in shall be appointed as chief legal counsel.
c.) For this clause, active citizen is defined as someone who voted in the last federal election and upstanding citizen is defined as someone who is presently, or who has previously, held elected office in Atlasia.
d.) The defendant shall have the right to a speedy trial as defined in Amendment 3 to the Constitution. In addition to this Amendment, the following section will be used as definition of a speedy trial:
(I) If a brief by the Plaintiff is not filed within one week (7 days) of the presiding Justice opening the trial against the defendant, the case will be dismissed and all charges will be dropped.
(II) A one week (7 days) leniency period may be granted by the presiding Justice by request of the Plaintiff, but any further delays may not be granted by the presiding Justice, except in the case of grave illness or publicly announced absence from the forum.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2006, 08:59:23 AM »

^^ With the consent of Q I'd like to bump the above two bills to the front of the Senate's agenda.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2006, 09:15:43 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2006, 03:24:44 PM by Vice President Q »

I concur with the President Pro Tempore; this legislation is vital.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2006, 09:04:07 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2006, 10:13:46 AM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

Amtrak Privatization Bill

1. All rail subsidies are abolished effective FY 2007.
2. The Amtrak rail system is to be privatized through an auction.
3. The Secretary of the Treasury is authorized to make necessary rules and regulations relating to the process of privatization.
4. The privatization of the Amtrak system shall be completed before the year 2007.
5. The person or corporation who purchases the Amtrak system will be authorized to terminate unprofitable routes at their discretion.

Whaling Bill

1. The Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission is abolished.
2. The act of whaling, the hunting and killing of whales, is hereby criminalized.  No person shall be exempt from this law due to ther ethnic or religious status.
3. The intentional killing of a whale for hunting purposes shall be punishable by a maximum fine of $15,000, a maximum of three years in prison, enviro-centric community service, or any combination of these.

Human Cloning Bill

Section 1: Federal Funding
1. Any business, institution, or organization run by or funded, either in full or in part, by the federal government of Atlasia, shall not engage in human cloning.
2. Any business, institution, or organization outlined above shown to be in violation of this act shall be liable to a three month suspension of their funding pending further investigation.

Section 2: Prohibition
1. This section shall apply in the District of Columbia and in federal territories that do not form part of any region.
2. Human cloning experimentation is hereby prohibited.
3. "Human cloning" is defined as attemps to create a human being through artificial means by experimenting with and attempting to create a clone of a human embryo.
4. Any person who breaks this law will be sentenced to a minimum of five years in prison or a maximum of twenty-five years in prison.  Medical professionals who violate this act shall be liable to a temporary or permanent confiscation of their medical license as found appropriate by the jury.

Corporate Welfare Elimination Bill

1. The Maritime Administration's Guaranteed Loan Subsidies are abolished effective FY 2007.
2. The Department of Defense's Foreign Military Financing program is abolished effective FY 2007.
3. The Department of Commerce's International Trade Administration is abolished effective FY 2007.
4. The Department of Agriculture's Market Access Program is abolished effective FY 2007.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2006, 12:44:13 PM »

This Bill, basically, consolidates (i.e puts together) the sections of the UECA and ESRA, which are in effect plus any additional clauses and changes to existing clauses, which are stated in green

Consolidated Electoral System Reform Bill

Section 1: Votes

1.   In their vote in the Elections to the Senate and the Presidency, each voter shall list some, none, or all of the candidates in the voter's order of preference for them.
2.   If no numbering of the preferences is stated, then the candidate at the top of the list shall be presumed to be the first preference, the candidate on the second line of the list shall be presumed to be the second preference, and so on.
3.   A voter may cast a write-in vote in any election, except a runoff election.
4.   In order to write-in a candidate, the voter shall not be required to explicitly specify that his or her vote is for a write-in candidate.
5.   In order for write-in votes for a candidate to qualify as countable votes, the person written-in must formally accept the write-in candidacy before the end of voting in the given election.
6.   A voter may vote for "None of the Above" in any election, except a runoff election. Any voter who votes for "None of the Above" may do so only as a first preference; any and all lower preferences of the voter shall be ignored.
7.    If a voter shall explicitly cast a vote in a Senate race for which they are not qualified to vote, then the vote in that Senate race shall be considered non-extant, and the voter may post a new vote in the correct Senate race if applicable.

Section 2: Determination of the Winner

1.   If any candidate shall gain a majority of highest preference votes, then that candidate shall be declared the winner of the election.
2.   If no candidate has a majority of highest preference votes, the candidate with the fewest first preferences shall be eliminated, and his or her votes redistributed according to the next-highest preferences of the voters.
3.   If, after the implementation of Clause 2 of this Section, any candidate shall have a majority of the highest preference votes, then that candidate shall be declared the winner of the election. If no such candidate shall exist, then Clause 2 of this Section shall be implemented again until such a candidate does exist, or until all candidates have the same number of highest preference votes.
4.   If two or more candidates are tied for the least number of highest preference votes, but none of those candidates are tied for the greatest number of highest preference votes, then the following procedure shall be used to determine which candidate is eliminated:
i. The candidate with the least total number of preferences expressed by voters shall be eliminated.
ii. The Senate shall vote on which candidate to eliminate, with the Vice President being able to cast a tie-breaking vote if necessary.

Section 3: Run-off Elections

If all remaining candidates shall have the same number of highest preference votes, then the following procedure shall be used to break the tie:

1.    Run-off elections shall begin between midnight Eastern Standard Time on the first Thursday after the initial election and 0001 Eastern Standard Time on the first Friday thereafter, and shall conclude exactly 72 hours after the beginning.
2.   Those candidates who have tied shall be automatically entered onto the ballot. No other candidacies shall be allowed.
3.   Voters shall only be able to cast a vote for one candidate.
4.   If any candidate shall gain a majority of the votes cast, then he shall be declared winner.
5.    In the event that litigation is pending before the Supreme Court at the time a run-off is due to be held, the Supreme Court may delay the run-off in a specified manner if it thinks the result of such litigation would have a substantive impact on the run-off.

Section 4: Tied Run-off Elections

If the Run-off Election procedure specified in section 4 results in a tie, then:

1.   One of the tied candidates may concede their portion of the term. The rules for determining the winner shall proceed based on as if the number tied candidates is reduced by one.
2.   The two candidates shall each serve a Senate session.
a. The two candidates will be allowed to determine the order in which the terms are split.
b. If no agreement is reached regarding the order of the terms that each candidate serves in, if one of the tied candidates is an incumbent, then that candidate shall serve the first session.
c. If both of the tied candidates are incumbents, due to redistricting or other circumstances, or if neither of the candidates are incumbents, and no agreement has been reached regarding the order of the terms that each candidate serves in, then the candidates shall serve in alphabetical order, going by their names used on the Registered Voter Roll.
3.   In the event of a tie between more than two candidates:
a. The tied candidates may make any agreement they see fit.
b. If an agreement cannot be made by (a), the Senate shall either:
i. Select one candidate to serve the entire term.
ii. Select a schedule that will allow all tied candidates to serve a portion of the term.
4.   If one of the term sharing senators resigns or is elected or appointed to another office, than the other will serve out the remainder of the term.

Section 5: None of the Above

If, in an election, the None of the Above option shall have gained more votes than each candidate, then a new election shall be held under the following procedure

1.    The new election shall be held between midnight Eastern Standard Time on the second Thursday after the initial election and 0001 Eastern Standard Time on the first Friday thereafter at 1800 Eastern Standard Time on the second Thursday after the election, and shall conclude exactly 72 hours after the beginning.
2.   None of the candidates defeated by the None of the Above option in the original may be declared candidates in the new election. However, a voter may still write-in any such candidate.
3.   The candidacy declaration deadline for the new election shall be the same as for special elections.
4.   Except as regards Clause 2 of this Section, all other provisions of this Act shall apply to the new election.

Section 6: Absentee Voting

1.   As mandated by Article V, Section 2, Clause 8 of the Federal Constitution, all voters shall have the right to cast absentee votes after the candidacy declaration period has expired.
2.   Upon the candidacy declaration deadline occurring the Secretary of Forum Affairs or Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs shall establish a thread for absentee voting which shall include a full ballot. In the event that a run-off is necessary, absentee voting shall open as soon as is practical after the certification of the original election results.
3.   Voters wishing to vote by absentee shall post their votes as they otherwise would.
4.   In the event that a person votes by absentee and regularly then both votes will be discounted.

Section 7: Applicability

Any instance of the word "candidate" in Sections 1 through to 6 shall be read as "ticket" in the case of Presidential elections.

Section 8: Candidacy Declarations

1.   The candidacy declaration deadline for regular elections to the Senate shall be seven days before the earliest possible commencement of the election and for special elections to the Senate shall be two days before the commencement of the election.
2.   The candidacy declaration deadline for full tickets of a Presidential and Vice-Presidential candidate to declare shall be seven days before the earliest possible commencement of the election. However, should the Vice-Presidential candidate withdraw his candidacy, then the Presidential candidate may nominate a new Vice-Presidential candidate up to 72 hours before the commencement of the election.
3.   In all cases, the assent of both the Presidential and Vice-Presidential candidate shall be necessary for them to appear together as a ticket on the ballot.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2006, 12:44:46 PM »

cont.

Section 9: Administration of Voting Booths

1.   Whenever possible, the Secretary of Forum Affairs, or the Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs, shall be the administrator of the voting booth. If both shall be absent or unable to administer the voting booth, then the President shall designate an executive officer to do so instead.
2.   The administrator of a voting booth shall be free to design the ballot as he or she sees fit, as long as the content of the ballot is clear and unambiguous.
3.   The administrator of a voting booth shall post links to all relevant statute regarding electoral law on the ballot.
4.   The administrator of a voting booth shall give registered voters seven days advance public notice, in both the Fantasy Elections Forum and the Voting Booth, of the hours in which voting shall take place for all regular Senate elections.
5.   The administrator of a voting booth shall give registered voters seven days advance public notice, in both the Fantasy Elections Forum and the Voting Booth, of the hours in which voting shall take place for all special Senate elections called on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday; and three days advance public notice, in both the Fantasy Elections Forum and the Voting Booth, of the hours in which voting shall take place for all special Senate called on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

Section 10: Certification of Election Results

1.   When the voting period has expired, the administrator of the voting booth or a moderator of the Forum shall lock the thread containing the voting booth. The thread shall not be unlocked except to enter the official certification of the election result onto the thread.
2.   Certification of the election result shall be conducted as soon as reasonably possible after the voting booth shall have closed by the administrator of the voting booth. If the administrator of the voting booth shall not be available to conduct such certification, then he or she shall designate another executive officer of the federal government to carry out such certification in his stead.
3.   In certifying the result the administrator shall list all those votes which he or she has discounted, and the reasons for these votes being discounted. The voting booth administrator shall discount all votes that are invalid under the law, and shall only count those remaining votes for which he or she is able to make a reasonable determination as to the intent of the voter subject to such conditions as imposed by Section 11 of this Act.
4.   The certifying officer may post provisional certifications of the election results, but these shall be of no legal effect.
5.   Once the certifying officer is content that he has a full and complete certification he shall post an official certification which shall be final in all respects, unless a Court order shall instruct otherwise.

Section 11: Reasonable Determination of Intent

1.   Where a voter lists only the Presidenitial candidate of a ticket in a Presidential election and this is the sole occurrence of the Presidential candidate on the ballot, then the vote shall be construed to be for the ticket which the Presidential candidate is a member of.
2.   Where a voter lists all candidates or tickets running and places some mark to the right or left of one and only one of the candidates or tickets, then the vote shall be construed to be for that candidate or ticket.
3.   The enumeration of certain reasonable determinations of intent in this section shall not be construed to be exclusive.
4.   The provisions of this section do not override the Akno21 v. Fritz Supreme Court decision.

Section 12: Concession of Victory

1.   If a candidate shall concede his or her victory of a Senate election after the certification of the election result, then the candidate with the next greatest number of highest preference votes in that election shall then be declared victor.
2.   If both members of a Presidential ticket shall concede their victory in the Presidential election after the certification of the election result, then the members of the ticket with the next greatest number of highest preference votes in that election shall then be declared victors.
3.   If a victor who has conceded shall wish to retract his or her concession, then he or she may only do so with the permission of the newly declared victor.
4.   If an election shall produce a tie, then any candidate or ticket may decline to go forward to the run-off. If such actions shall leave only one candidate or ticket in the runoff, then that candidate or ticket shall be declared the victor.
5.   If a tied candidate or ticket that has withdrawn shall wish to re-enter the run-off, then they may only do so with the permission of the other candidates or tickets in the tie.
6.   Concessions made before the certification of election results, or on or after the date on which the newly elected official is due to be sworn in, are of no legal effect whatsoever.

Section 13: Statute of Limitations

1.   Lawsuits challenging the validity of certified election results shall only be valid if filed with the Supreme Court within one week of the certification of such results.
2.   Lawsuits challenging the validity of election results certified on or before 18 March, 2006 shall not be valid.

Section 14: Federal Activity Requirements

1.   All those persons who have posted at least 25 times in the 8 weeks (56 days) prior to the commencement of an election shall be defined as active for the purposes of that election.
2.   Those persons considered inactive (defined as not active) shall not be qualified to vote in a particular election.
3.   Anyone who has cast an absentee ballot shall be regarded as an active voter, provided he or she fulfills the definition by the time the election commences for which the ballot was cast, of an "active voter"; However, the post containing the ballot shall not count towards the total number of required posts.

Section 15: Repealed Legislation

The following Acts are repealed:

1.   Unified Electoral Code Act.
2.   Electoral System Reform Act.
3.   Peter Will Fix It Act.

'Hawk'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2006, 06:05:47 AM »

I'll introduce this for Ebowed.

Alcohol Reform Bill

1. This act shall apply in the District of Columbia and in federal territories which do not form part of any region.
2. Recognizing that persons between the ages of 18 and 21 are eligible to serve in defense of the country, vote, and consent to sexual relations, the Senate wishes to correct an inconsistency by reforming the age at which restrictions on alcohol are removed.
3. The age at which one may legally purchase, possess, and consume alcohol is hereby lowered to 18.
4. Persons under 18 shall be allowed to consume small quantities of alcohol for religious or medical purposes if under the supervision of a parent or guardian.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2006, 02:36:04 PM »

Illegal Alien Employment Bill

This bill will impose punishments on businesses that employ illegal aliens and benefit from their labor.

1) A proof of residency is to be required to gain employment in Atlasia.
2) Employers who knowingly employee illegal aliens are to pay a fine of $5000 and/or spend a minimum of three years in jail.
3) Employers that knowingly accept stolen social security numbers and/or other fraudulent  documentation are to be charged with fraud and sentenced to a minimum of 10 years in prison.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2006, 02:54:02 PM »

That's a good concept for a bill, Vlad.  It needs a little bit more of the bureacratic trimmings before it's fit for proposal, though, I think.  I'll write my own draft and pm it to you.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2006, 09:56:00 PM »

That's a good concept for a bill, Vlad.  It needs a little bit more of the bureacratic trimmings before it's fit for proposal, though, I think.  I'll write my own draft and pm it to you.

Sounds good to me, I'd enjoy working with you. Smiley
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2006, 05:41:04 PM »

Here's some of the not horrible bills by Ebowed for this week:

Wage Enforcement Bill

1. This bill will only apply in the District of Columbia and in federal territories which do not form part of any region.
2. The minimum wage shall be set at $7.20 per hour.
3. The federal territory minimum wage shall be indexed annually to the Consumer Pricing Index (CPI).
4. Any employer found to be paying any of his employees below the minimum wage shall be sentenced to a prison term of up to five years, depending on the severity of the offense, and/or a fine of up to $10,000.

Consolidated Criminal Justice Bill

Introduction
Whereas previous Criminal Justice statutes contain references to obsolete Law and have become out of date, and whereas some statutes are not entirely discursive of their subject matter, the Senate resolves to update and consolidate existing Criminal Justice Law.

Section 1: Crimes against Atlasia
The following shall be crimes against Atlasia:
1. The impersonation, or attempted impersonation, of another Atlas Forum member on the Atlas Forum.
2. The "hacking" or taking over control of another Atlas Forum members personal account without their permission.
3. Voter fraud, defined as the creation of identities other than ones primary identity in Atlasia and subsequently entering this identity into the tally of registered voters.
4. Posting pictures, other media, or links to the same of a pornographic nature on the boards provided for the purposes of Atlas Fantasy Elections.
5. Maliciously editing the AtlasWiki to remove legitimate content or create off-topic pages.
6. Posting threads on the boards provided for the purposes of Atlas Fantasy Elections of a sexual nature that contribute nothing to political or philosophical discussion.

Section 2: Punishment of Crimes against Atlasia
Sentencing of the crime shall be by the presiding Justice; He may use any combination of the following as punishment, depending upon the severity of the offense:
1. For offences described in Clauses 1 through 3 of Section 1:
          i. Up to a one year ban from voting in any Atlasian elections.
          ii. Up to two years ban from holding any office under the Republic of Atlasia.
2. For offences described in Clauses 4 through 6 of Section 1:
          i. Up to a two month ban from voting in any Atlasian elections.

Section 3: Acts of Treason
The following acts are hereby declared Acts of Treason:
1. Rebellion, defined as the use of military forces to overthrow the Federal or any Regional government of Atlasia.
2. Aiding of a rebellion, defined as the fully knowing and intentional direction of funds, military aid, or strategic advice to a person or group seeking to engage in rebellion.
3. Terrorism, defined as the unlawful or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating civilians and/or the federal and/or regional governments of Atlasia.
4. Destruction of a Voting Booth, defined as deleting the thread in which a voting booth, or absentee voting booth, for an active election is contained.

Section 4: Punishment of Acts of Treason
Sentencing of Acts of Treason shall be by the presiding Justice; He may use any combination of the following as punishment, depending upon the severity of the offense:
1. Up to a lifetime ban from voting in any Atlasian elections.
2. Up to a lifetime ban from holding any office under the Republic of Atlasia.

Section 5: Trial Rules
Trial of all these crimes and Acts of Treason shall be done in full compliance with the provisions of Article III, Section 2 of the Second Constitution.

Section 6: Admissibility of Evidence
The presiding Justice may admit the following as evidence of the crime at his own discretion:
1. The actual statements made on the Atlas Forum itself
2. Screenshots of the statements made.
3. A quotation of the statement in a post by another Atlas Forum user.
4. The testimony of forum users who viewed the statement itself.
5. An admission by the accused in a thread on the Atlas Forum, or in a place viewed or heard by multiple persons, with recordings or testimony attributing to the same.
6. Evidence obtained through investigation of the IP address from which the offence was perpetrated.
7. Evidence given to the Court by the Forum Moderators or the Forum Owner, Dave Leip obtained in their capacity in that position.

Section 7: Rights of the Defendant at Trial
1. The defendant shall not be denied access to adequate legal counsel in the form of an upstanding, active citizen of Atlasia. The defendant also has the right to waive their right to legal counsel. If the defendant requests legal counsel, but is unable to secure his own adequate legal counsel according to the stipulations above, the presiding Justice shall request the chief judicial officer of the Region which said Defendant resides in, to serve as legal counsel to represent the defense. The chief judicial officer of the Region shall have the right to refuse such a request.
2. If there is no chief judicial officer of said Region or if the chief judicial officer refuses this request, the Senior Senator of the Region shall be appointed as chief legal counsel, or if there is no Regional senator, the Senior Senator of the District in which Defendant resides in shall be appointed as chief legal counsel. If the Senior Senator of the Region or District, as stated above, and the Defendant are the same person, then the Junior Senator of the Region shall be appointed as chief legal counselor, or if there is no Regional senator, the Junior Senator of the District in which Defendant resides in shall be appointed as chief legal counsel.
3. For this clause, active citizen is defined as someone who voted in the last federal election and upstanding citizen is defined as someone who is presently, or who has previously, held elected office in Atlasia.
4. The defendant shall have the right to a speedy trial as defined in Article III, Section 2. In addition to this provision, the following section will be used as definition of a speedy trial:
          i. If a brief by the Plaintiff is not filed within one week (7 days) of the presiding Justice opening the trial against the defendant, the case will be dismissed and all charges will be dropped.
          ii. A one week (7 days) leniency period may be granted by the presiding Justice by request of the Plaintiff, but any further delays may not be granted by the presiding Justice, except in the case of grave illness or publicly announced absence from the forum.

Section 8: Right to Appeal[/o]
In addition to any Rights of Appeal the Supreme Court may find under the Constitution, the defendant retains the following statutory rights of appeal against their conviction:
1. Procedural Appeals
          i. Should the defendant wish to appeal his conviction on grounds of errors of procedure during the trial, he may do so to the full Supreme Court provided the appeal is filed within one month of conclusion of the trial.
          ii. If the Supreme Court does find errors of procedure in the trial, vacation of the conviction shall not be automatic, but at the discretion of the Supreme Court.
2. Substantive Appeals
          i. Should new evidence come to light, the defendant may appeal his conviction to the Supreme Court on the grounds that the evidence no longer supports his conviction or severity of his sentence.
          ii. In reviewing the appeal, the Supreme Court may refer the question of guilt to a new jury in a new trial (without vacating the original conviction).
          iii. The Supreme Court may also reduce the sentence if it determines that the severity of the offence is reduced in light of the new evidence.

Section 9: Repealed Legislation
The following Acts are repealed: Voter Fraud Act, Omnibus Criminal Law Act, and Treasonous Rebellion Act.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2006, 05:41:27 PM »

Child Labor Restriction Bill

Section 1: Applicability
1. This statute shall only apply in the District of Columbia and in federal territories which do not form part of any region.

Section 2: Definitions
1. The following definitions shall apply throughout this statute:
a.) A "school day" is defined as a day that contains more than two hours of classroom instruction.
b.) A "school week" is defined as any week (beginning noon Sunday) that contains two or more school days.
c.) "Work" is defined as receiving financial compensation for services rendered.

Section 3: Minors aged 15 to 17
1. Minors aged fifteen to seventeen years may not:
a.) Work more than 40 hours in a non-school week, and no more than 20 hours in a school week.
b.) Work more than 8 hours in a non-school day, and no more than 4 hours in a school day.
c.) Work more than 6 days in a non-school week, and no more than 4 days in a school week.

Section 4: Children aged less than 15
1. Employment of children aged less than fifteen years is prohibited, except those over the age of 13 years, who may work only as a newspaper carrier, and for no more than 10 hours in a week.

Section 5: Hours of Work
1. Employment of any person under the age of eighteen years between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m. is prohibited.

Section 6: Type of Employment
1. Employment of minors in any place that sells alcohol, except a supermarket or other general provisions store, is prohibited.
2. Employment of minors in work that requires the use of heavy machinery is prohibited.
3. The Secretary of the Treasury may additionally prohibit employment of minors in certain jobs that it considers hazardous as he or she finds necessary.

Section 7: Penalties
1. Any employer in violation of Sections 3, 5 or 6 shall be fined between $500 and $1000 for each infraction.
2. Any employer in violation of Section 4 shall be fined between $2000 and $10000 for each infraction.

Section 8: Exemptions
1. Parents may employ their own children to work in the home or at the place of their own business, except in prohibited types of employment specified in Section 6.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2006, 12:53:10 AM »

Copyright Reform Bill

1. Copyrights shall not extend beyond the life of the work's author, or 25 years in case of a corporate authorship.
2. Existent copyrights shall either be removed if they do not meet the demands of this bill, or reduced accordingly.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2006, 12:55:05 AM »

Tax Increase Bill

1. All income up to $500,000 shall be subject to social security taxes.
2. Clause 5 of F.L. 11-6, National Sin Tax Act, is amended to read: "The taxes implemented by this act are an addition to, not an overriding of, any existing federal and regional taxes that are placed on the aforementioned products."
3. An estate tax is established. Each portion of the value of the estate shall be taxed at the following rates, with each rate corresponding to the tax rate on only the portion of the estate that falls in the appointed range:
a) $0-$5,000,000 – 0%
b) $5,000,001-$10,000,000 – 3%
c) $10,000,001-$17,500,000 – 4%
d) $17,500,001-$25,000,000 – 5%
e) $25,000,001-$50,000,000 – 7.5%
f) $50,000,001-$100,000,000 – 10%
g) $100,000,001 and above – 12.5%
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2006, 10:58:35 AM »

I’ll introduce these Bills on behalf of the President:

Highways Bill

1. The federal fuel tax, the Federal Highway Trust Fund, and subsidies to mass transit programs are eliminated as of FY 2007.
2. The federal government shall no longer appropriate any funds for the construction and financing of highways.

Rail and Airlines Bill

1. The Railway Labor Act of 1926 is repealed.
2. The Railway Retirement Act of 1934 is repealed.
3. There shall be no subsidies for airline companies or aircraft producers except those that are given for purposes of defense.
4. All federal legislation preventing airports from being privately owned or operated is repealed.
5. All federal legislation preventing foreign airlines from flying domestic routes in Atlasia is repealed.
6. The Jones Act is repealed.

USPS Privatization Bill

1. The United States Postal Service is to be privatized through an auction.
2. The Secretary of the Treasury is authorized to make any necessary rules and regulations relating to the privatization process.
3. The privatization of the USPS must be completed before the year 2007.
4. Upon the successful privatization of the USPS, all legal restrictions on the competitive delivery of mail are repealed.

National Zoo Privatization Bill

1. The Smithsonian National Zoological Park (National Zoo) is to be privatized through an auction.
2. The Secretary of the Treasury is authorized to make any necessary rules and regulations relating to the privatization process.
3. The privatization of the National Zoo must be completed before the year 2007.

'Hawk'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies