Legislation Introduction Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:37:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Legislation Introduction Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 74
Author Topic: Legislation Introduction Thread  (Read 311188 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: January 18, 2009, 02:01:28 PM »
« edited: January 18, 2009, 02:03:29 PM by Senator PiT »

Gubernatorial Amendment

1. The Preamble to Article 1 of the Constitution is amended to read "All Legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in the Legislature of the Republic of Atlasia. The Legislature shall be composed of the Senate and the Council of Governors. "

2. Article I, Section 3, Clause 3 is amended to read:  "For any Bill or Resolution to pass the Senate, it shall have gained a majority in a valid vote. Before the Bill or Resolution becomes Law, it shall be presented to the Council of Governors and to the President of the Republic of Atlasia, unless it be concerning the rules for the proceedings of the Senate. If both approve, the President shall sign it, and it shall become Law. If the President does not approve, he shall return the Bill with his objections to the Senate, and it shall not become Law. If the Council of Governors does not approve, they shall return the Bill with their objections to the Senate, and it shall not become Law. Upon reconsidering the Bill, if the Senate shall approve the legislation by two-thirds of its number, it shall become Law. If a Bill is not returned to the Senate by the President or the Council of Governors within seven days after it shall have been presented to them, they shall be considered to have approved of the legislation.. "

3. The title of Section 5 is amended to read "Powers of the Legislature". The preamble of Section 5 is amended to read "The Legislature shall have the power save where limited by other provisions in the Constitution". The title of Section 6 is amended to read "Powers denied to the Legislature".

4. The Council of Governors shall consist of the heads of state of the regions. Each head of state shall have one vote. The votes of a majority of the current membership shall be required to not approve of any legislation.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #501 on: January 24, 2009, 07:13:02 AM »

I have decided to kill the Free Palestine Bill. I have not done so because it is frivolous (rabid anti-semitism is a little too serious to legitimately described as frivolous) but because it is functionally impractical and comically so. It is bad legislation, full stop.

The Senator who introduced it has 72 hours to complain in an acceptable manner.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #502 on: January 25, 2009, 11:50:15 AM »

I object to Al's decision to kill my bill, while it may very well fail, there is nothing unworkable about it.  It sets out clear commands to both sides, and the reprecussions of not meeting them.  We are not threatening war, we are threatening to stop helping them if they do not meet our demands.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #503 on: January 27, 2009, 08:44:41 PM »

...and the Free Palestine Bill is dead.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #504 on: January 31, 2009, 09:20:59 AM »

I'd bring it to court if I had the time Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #505 on: January 31, 2009, 09:25:57 AM »

You wouldn't have a case anyway. Rules is rules.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #506 on: February 01, 2009, 05:12:55 PM »

You said argue, I presented an argument and you completely ignored it because I didn't include British "humour"
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #507 on: February 01, 2009, 05:18:17 PM »

You said argue, I presented an argument and you completely ignored it because I didn't include British "humour"

I didn't ignore it. I just didn't reply to it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #508 on: February 04, 2009, 04:34:09 PM »

Automotive Industry Nationalisation Bill

1. The General Motors Corporation is to be taken into immediate public ownership.

2. Compensation will be paid to shareholders when the Senate decees that the economic situation has improved sufficiently for such a payment to be Just.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #509 on: February 24, 2009, 07:12:03 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2009, 08:38:45 PM by Senator Lief »

Authorization for Use of Military Force in Canada Resolution of 2009

Whereas:
The Canadian regime, currently led by Prime Minister Stephen Harper, is engaging in an undeniable genocide of the French-Canadian population of Quebec;

The illegal actions of the Canadian regime have resulted in countless deaths outside of Quebec; and

The resulting tides of refugees across the northern border is overwhelming, and the northern states of Atlasia are being destabilized as a result,

Therefore:
The Senate of Atlasia calls on the Prime Minister of Canada to immediately withdraw Canadian forces from Quebec and resign;

The Senate of Atlasia authorizes President Bgwah to use the Armed Forces of Atlasia as he deems necessary to prevent further bloodshed in Canada and defend the national security of Atlasia; and

The Senate of Atlasia authorizes $1 billion to be spent on food, shelter, and medicine for any present and future Canadian refugees.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #510 on: February 24, 2009, 11:42:35 PM »

Authorization for Use of Military Force in Canada Resolution of 2009

Whereas:
The Canadian regime, currently led by Prime Minister Stephen Harper, is engaging in an undeniable genocide of the French-Canadian population of Quebec;

The illegal actions of the Canadian regime have resulted in countless deaths outside of Quebec; and

The resulting tides of refugees across the northern border is overwhelming, and the northern states of Atlasia are being destabilized as a result,

Therefore:
The Senate of Atlasia calls on the Prime Minister of Canada to immediately withdraw Canadian forces from Quebec and resign;

The Senate of Atlasia authorizes President Bgwah to use the Armed Forces of Atlasia as he deems necessary to prevent further bloodshed in Canada and defend the national security of Atlasia; and

The Senate of Atlasia authorizes $1 billion to be spent on food, shelter, and medicine for any present and future Canadian refugees.

I believe this bill is unconstitutional, since Article I, Section 5 of our Constitution gives the following powers to Congress related to foreign policy:

18. To have sole power to declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning captures on land and water;
19. To define and punish piracies and felonies committed on the high seas, and offenses against the law of nations.
20. To promote Comity between Nations by engaging in such activities with other Nations as are of mutual benefit.
21. To provide for the common defense of the Republic of Atlasia.
22. To raise and support armed forces and to make rules for the government and regulation of the armed forces of the Republic of Atlasia.
23. To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions.

Clauses 18 and 22 seem the most relevant here.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #511 on: March 05, 2009, 10:50:27 AM »

I ask that this bill be brought forth immediatley and put into the Emergency slot:

Resolution Regarding Constitutional Amendments

1.) No senator shall propose a constitutional amendment until the conclusion of the Constitutional Convention
2.) No constitutional amendments shall be voted upon until the conclusion of the Constitutional Convention
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #512 on: March 05, 2009, 08:58:07 PM »

I wish to reintroduce all of my bills into the next senate.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #513 on: March 06, 2009, 12:42:32 AM »

I ask that this bill be brought forth immediatley and put into the Emergency slot:

Resolution Regarding Constitutional Amendments

1.) No senator shall propose a constitutional amendment until the conclusion of the Constitutional Convention
2.) No constitutional amendments shall be voted upon until the conclusion of the Constitutional Convention

I agree with the Bill in principal, however I believe it should be slightly re-written. As it stands, it could conceivably extend to a Senator proposing a constitutional amendment at the ConCon as it doesn't specifically refer to amendments being proposed only within the Senate. Perhaps instead we could move:

1. That this Senate shall not debate constitutional amendments for the duration of the Constitutional Convention.
2. That this Senate shall not vote on proposed constitutional amendments until the conclusion of the Constitutional Convention.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #514 on: March 12, 2009, 08:29:37 AM »

The Help Atlasia Study Act of 2009:

Section 1:
In an effort to make a college education more universally available than it is currently, and to attempt to provide equal chances to all Atlasian citizens, the Atlasian government will subsidize a portion of college tuition for every eligible young Atlasian.

Section 2:
To be eligible for such governmental aid, one must:
a.) be an Atlasian citizen between 18 and 30 years of age.
b.) have obtained a high school diploma.
c.) not belong to a family which has an annual income of greater than $100,000.
d.) have sufficiently high SAT scores and a good GPA. The necessary levels will be determined at the beginning of each semester, being variable, and will depend on supply and demand for government assistance.

Section 3:
Atlasia will fund this program with an increase in the national income tax on those making at least $500,000 in personal income.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #515 on: March 19, 2009, 11:02:05 AM »

The High Speed Rail Act:

Section 1: Atlasia recognizes that, in order to create and maintain a modern, future oriented and effective transportation system, necessary to aid climate protection and prepare ourselves for increasing oil prices in the future, that a network of high speed, electronically operated trains between major cities should be constructed and operated.

Section 2: Primarily, as of now, the following routes will be built:
a.) Los Angeles - San Francisco
b.) Dallas - Houston
c.) Chicago - St. Louis
d.) Washington - New York
e.) Boston - New York
f.) Chicago - Detroit - Toronto

Section 3: This system will take the German "ICE" train system as an example and will function similarly, with speeds up to 250 km/h (156 mph).

Section 4: The funding for this project will come from multiple sources:
a.) 2% increase on highest federal income tax bracket.
b.) $0.50 gasoline tax increase
c.) Regions will contribute funding to routes within their boundaries. (failure to comply will result in other routes in other regions being prioritized.)

Section 5: The routes listed in Section 2 will only be regarded as suggestions, and an independent team of transportation experts will provide analysis and recommendations for the implementation of this plan, specifically relating to the priority and effectiveness of the above mentioned routes.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #516 on: March 19, 2009, 11:12:04 AM »

CO2 cap-and-trade bill:

Section 1: In an effort to combat the catastrophic effects of climate change, Atlasia will attempt to reduce overall emmissions of carbon dioxide by regulating the total amount that may be produced through a "cap-and-trade" system.

Section 2: The Atlasian government will provide regions with "climate credits" proportional to their share of employed Atlasians, which will be distributed as regions see fit within their boundaries.

Section 3: These credits may be bought, sold and otherwise transferred among the companies that receive them as they see fit at market based prices.

Section 4: The total level of CO2 credits issued to the regions by the Atlasian government will equal 98.5% of the total amount of CO2 produced in the previous year, with the goal of meaningful, long term reduction.

Section 5: This carbon regulating scheme will last for a maximum of 10 years, after which it will be evaluated again and renewed according to new demands and goals.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #517 on: March 20, 2009, 12:00:56 PM »

Franzl Tax Cut Bill:

Section 1: In an effort to provide relief for struggling lower and middle class families in this time of economic crisis, Atllasia recognizes the economically stimulating effect of responsible tax cuts and will provide these accordingly.

Section 2: Families with a total income of between $30,000 and $75,000 will have their federal income tax rates reduced for 2009.

Section 3: The exact tax cuts are as follows:
a.) $30,000 - $49,999: 3.5% lower (in total, independent of current tax brackets)
b.) $50,000 - $64,999: 2.5% lower (in total, independent of current tax brackets)
c.) $65,000 - $75,000: 1.5% lower (in total, independent of current tax brackets)

Section 4: This tax cut scheme will expire immediately after 2009, but may be renewed or renegotiated based on economic conditions at that time.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #518 on: March 22, 2009, 09:33:01 AM »

The Regional Activity Amendment

1. Article V, Section 1, Clause 1 of the Constitution is hereby amended to read: "No person may simultaneously hold two or more offices of the Republic of Atlasia at the same level of government. This is not to exclude one from holding offices at different levels of government."
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #519 on: March 22, 2009, 09:41:24 AM »

1. Article V, Section 1, Clause 1 of the Constitution is hereby amended to read: "No person may simultaneously hold two or more offices of the Republic of Atlasia at the same level of government. This is not to exclude one from holding offices at different levels of government."
I have no problem introducing bills, but I fell constitutional amendments are pointless when a new constitution is being drafted.  If the constitution fails, then reconsider
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #520 on: March 22, 2009, 09:45:22 AM »

I have no problem introducing bills, but I fell constitutional amendments are pointless when a new constitution is being drafted.  If the constitution fails, then reconsider

I would agree on one level, but the Convention should take a good deal of time and plenty can happen in Atlasia in the meantime. If this didn't relate to increasing activity and reviving Atlasia I would hold off, but it's not a minor issue. This can really boost numbers in the coming elections right away.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #521 on: March 22, 2009, 09:47:32 AM »

Franzl Tax Cut Bill:

Section 1: In an effort to provide relief for struggling lower and middle class families in this time of economic crisis, Atllasia recognizes the economically stimulating effect of responsible tax cuts and will provide these accordingly.

Section 2: Families with a total income of between $30,000 and $75,000 will have their federal income tax rates reduced for 2009.

Section 3: The exact tax cuts are as follows:
a.) $30,000 - $49,999: 3.5% lower (in total, independent of current tax brackets)
b.) $50,000 - $64,999: 2.5% lower (in total, independent of current tax brackets)
c.) $65,000 - $75,000: 1.5% lower (in total, independent of current tax brackets)

Section 4: This tax cut scheme will expire immediately after 2009, but may be renewed or renegotiated based on economic conditions at that time.

I welcome this bill as it compliments the Income Tax Reduction Act of 2007 with this bill focusing in the next tier of income. However it might be worth checking the math with regards to what effects the existing Act would have on income tax levels above allowances if you've not already done so.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Income_Tax_Reduction_Act
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #522 on: March 22, 2009, 09:51:22 AM »
« Edited: March 22, 2009, 10:47:29 AM by Sen. DownWithTheLeft »

Flat Tax Act

Section 1
1.) The current tax code of Atlasia abolished

Section 2
1.) The tax paid by every Atlasian shall be calculated by using the following formula:
[Income - $20,000 - $5,000 (number of dependents)] multiplied by 18%

Section 3
1.)The numbers "$20,000" and "$5,000" shall be adjusted each year for wage inflation
2.) If the number calculated from this formula is less than $0, the Atlasian shall be entitled to a check totalling the amount under $0
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #523 on: March 22, 2009, 09:59:30 AM »

It is not clear how that formula would work. Can you give examples partiuclarly for personal incomes less than $20,000 (or do they pay nothing - which I would support in principle)? Does it affect taxation levied against businesses?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #524 on: March 22, 2009, 10:00:39 AM »

It is not clear how that formula would work. Can you give examples partiuclarly for personal incomes less than $20,000 (or do they pay nothing - which I would support in principle)? Does it affect taxation levied against businesses?
Section 3 outlines that if you make less than $20,000, there is actually a negative tax.  This bill would not effect current regulations on business.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies