Legislation Introduction Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:25:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Legislation Introduction Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 74
Author Topic: Legislation Introduction Thread  (Read 311159 times)
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: February 23, 2008, 11:09:47 PM »
« edited: February 23, 2008, 11:11:47 PM by Senator Sensei »

Legislative Sponsorship Assumption Act

1- In order to gain sponsorship of a bill abandoned by another Senator, said attempted assumption of sponsorship must be accepted by a majority of the Senate.

2- All laws or parts of laws contradicting section 1 are hereby repealed.

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #326 on: February 24, 2008, 07:17:02 AM »

Trans Fats Regulation Bill

1. No product intended for human consumption that is sold within the District of Columbia or any federal territories may contain any non-naturally occurring trans fats.
2. This regulation will come into effect nine months after it has become law.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #327 on: February 24, 2008, 07:24:49 AM »

Ratification of the Kyoto Treaty

1. The Republic of Atlasia hereby ratifies the Kyoto Protocol to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change as agreed in Japan in 1997.

Miners' Widows Bill

1. The widows of miners or former miners who die as a result of their occupation or former occupation shall each be given $10,000 a year from the federal government.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #328 on: February 24, 2008, 07:56:54 AM »

Return to September 10th Bill

Section 1: Telecommunications Immunity Clarification
1. The current Atlasian government acknowledges that after the terrorist attacks of September 11th, 2001, telecommunications companies cooperated with the United States government in providing illegal access to customers' private information, including conversations which were 'wiretapped.'
2. The current Atlasian government supports prosecuting all companies involved, as well as anyone found guilty of providing these orders within the government, to the fullest extent of the law.

Section 2: Torture and Simulated Drowning
1. The government recognizes that torture is, and has been regardless of the September 11th, 2001 terrorist attacks, illegal, as confirmed in F.L. 22-7.
2. Simulated drowning, or 'waterboarding,' is a form of torture and remains prohibited by law.
3. The current government encourages that any member of the government found to have ordered or performed acts of torture be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Section 3: Free Speech Zones
1. The use of "free speech zones" as restricted areas where protesting may be permitted is to be discontinued immediately.

Section 4: PATRIOT Act
1. The PATRIOT Act is repealed.

Section 5: Guantanamo Bay
1. The prison camp located at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba is to be closed within two months after this act becomes law.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #329 on: March 02, 2008, 08:53:35 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2008, 05:24:34 PM by Mr. Moderate »

Constitutional Amendment to Reduce Deregistrations of Active Atlasians (The Tik|Eraserhead Amendment)

Article V, Section 2, Part 6 of the Atlasian Constitution is hereby amended to read:

Any registered voter who fails to vote in elections for four months, and any first-time registrant who fails to vote in the first scheduled Senate elections for which he is qualified to vote shall have his registration no longer considered valid. This clause shall not be construed to deny a forum user the right to register anew.

This legislation has been withdrawn.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #330 on: March 03, 2008, 02:35:41 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2008, 02:47:30 PM by I identified with that beaver »

Constitutional Amendment to Reduce Deregistrations of Active Atlasians (The Tik|Eraserhead Amendment)

Article V, Section 2, Part 6 of the Atlasian Constitution is hereby amended to read:

Any registered voter who fails to vote in elections for four months, and any first-time registrant who fails to vote in the first scheduled Senate elections for which he is qualified to vote shall have his registration no longer considered valid. This clause shall not be construed to deny a forum user the right to register anew.

May I draw both your, my own, and my predecessors' attention to the XVIth Amendment. This already extended the period from four to eight months. It also (something I never noticed before) legalized some long-established courtesy DoFA practices (ie: when people who had previously missed a vote in a general election voted in a by-election, their counter was reset to 0. Failure to vote in a by-election, OTOH, had no negative consequences.) ... and ... something I'd also not noticed before... it seems to be doing away with the deletion of first-time voters who don't vote!

Also, the links on the wiki page for the XVI amendment are all wrong. Huh I'll rectify that.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #331 on: March 03, 2008, 05:23:15 PM »

May I draw both your, my own, and my predecessors' attention to the XVIth Amendment. This already extended the period from four to eight months. It also (something I never noticed before) legalized some long-established courtesy DoFA practices (ie: when people who had previously missed a vote in a general election voted in a by-election, their counter was reset to 0. Failure to vote in a by-election, OTOH, had no negative consequences.) ... and ... something I'd also not noticed before... it seems to be doing away with the deletion of first-time voters who don't vote!

Also, the links on the wiki page for the XVI amendment are all wrong. Huh I'll rectify that.

Yikes.  When I was looking at the Wiki, it did not appear that the section of the constitution in question had been amended; indeed, it would seem that the constitution is treated differently than other bills for the purposes of the wiki.

Since the existing amendment takes care of the issue, I gladly withdraw it, but lord, what a can of worms this thing opened.  (I suppose Eraserhead could bring a court case asking his vote to be reinstated, thus altering the result of the NE Gubernatorial race?)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #332 on: March 04, 2008, 10:54:38 AM »

Yikes.  When I was looking at the Wiki, it did not appear that the section of the constitution in question had been amended.
That's because that link was also missing.
I just knew there was something to amend that, so I went through all the amendments. Wink
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #333 on: March 09, 2008, 12:29:09 AM »

Constitutional Amendment to Elect the Secretary of Forum Affairs

1. Article II, Section 1, Clause 4 shall be amended to read as follows: The President shall appoint the Principal Officers of the executive departments who shall constitute the Cabinet with the exception of the Secretary of Forum Affairs except in the event that that office is vacated without a possible Deputy to replace them, with the advice and consent of the Senate, who shall all be registered voters. The President shall have power to dismiss any member of his Cabinet with the exception of the Secretary of Forum Affairs.

2. Article VIII, Section 2, Clause 2 shall be amended to read as follows: The Department of Forum Affairs shall be responsible for administering all elections to the Presidency, the Secretary and Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs and the Senate. The Secretary of Forum Affairs shall be elected under the same method as outlined in Article II, Section 2, changing "President" to "Secretary of Forum Affairs" and changing "Vice-President" to "Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs".

3. A new clause will be added after Article VIII, Section 2, Clause 2: In the event that the office of Secretary of Forum Affairs becomes vacant, the Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs shall succeed them. In the event of a vacancy in the office of Deputy Secretary of Forum Affiars, a special election shall be held in accordance with Article 1, Section 4, Clause 5, changing "a Class B Senate seat" to "the Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs". In the event that both the Secretary of Forum Affairs and the Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs become vacant, the President shall nominate a replacement candidate as stated in Article II, Section 1, Clause 4. Filing the vacancy in the Secretary of Forum Affairs shall take precedence over all other actions before the Senate.

4. Re-number as appropriate the clauses in Article VIII, Section 2.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #334 on: March 09, 2008, 12:56:48 AM »

Constitutional Amendment to Elect the Secretary of Forum Affairs

1. Article II, Section 1, Clause 4 shall be amended to read as follows: The President shall appoint the Principal Officers of the executive departments who shall constitute the Cabinet with the exception of the Secretary of Forum Affairs except in the event that that office is vacated without a possible Deputy to replace them, with the advice and consent of the Senate, who shall all be registered voters. The President shall have power to dismiss any member of his Cabinet with the exception of the Secretary of Forum Affairs.

2. Article VIII, Section 2, Clause 2 shall be amended to read as follows: The Department of Forum Affairs shall be responsible for administering all elections to the Presidency, the Secretary and Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs and the Senate. The Secretary of Forum Affairs shall be elected under the same method as outlined in Article II, Section 2, changing "President" to "Secretary of Forum Affairs" and changing "Vice-President" to "Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs".

3. A new clause will be added after Article VIII, Section 2, Clause 2: In the event that the office of Secretary of Forum Affairs becomes vacant, the Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs shall succeed them. In the event of a vacancy in the office of Deputy Secretary of Forum Affiars, a special election shall be held in accordance with Article 1, Section 4, Clause 5, changing "a Class B Senate seat" to "the Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs". In the event that both the Secretary of Forum Affairs and the Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs become vacant, the President shall nominate a replacement candidate as stated in Article II, Section 1, Clause 4. Filing the vacancy in the Secretary of Forum Affairs shall take precedence over all other actions before the Senate.

4. Re-number as appropriate the clauses in Article VIII, Section 2.

Ah, quite interesting. I'd support this.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #335 on: March 10, 2008, 06:07:52 AM »

I strongly oppose this amendment. I do not think people should supervise their own elections.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #336 on: March 10, 2008, 06:30:24 AM »

I strongly oppose this amendment. I do not think people should supervise their own elections.

Such confidence in the masses Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #337 on: March 10, 2008, 06:55:07 AM »

Such confidence in the masses Tongue
That's not the point; it's just something I find potentially messy and easily avoidable.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #338 on: March 10, 2008, 11:48:59 AM »

Wouldn't it make more sense to turn Sofa into a sort of civil-service position rather than a technically political one?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #339 on: March 10, 2008, 12:27:54 PM »

My goal is to make it so that the SoFA isn't replaced when the Presidency switches, as there's no logical reason to get rid of a good SoFA just because the President switches. It's not a political position, it's just an administrative one. If anyone has an alternative idea to accomplishing that I'd very open to it.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #340 on: March 10, 2008, 12:42:30 PM »

That's not true at all. Unless we divorce the separate roles of administering elections and establishing forum affairs/election policy, the SoFA is certainly a political position.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #341 on: March 10, 2008, 12:48:17 PM »

That's not true at all. Unless we divorce the separate roles of administering elections and establishing forum affairs/election policy, the SoFA is certainly a political position.

I tried that already.  It got shot down.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #342 on: March 10, 2008, 08:19:48 PM »

Wouldn't it make more sense to turn Sofa into a sort of civil-service position rather than a technically political one?

I would agree with this -make it into a position where the SoFA can basically serve for life unless and until he (or she) decides to step down, at which point whoever is the sitting president can then appoint the successor, with the consent of the Senate. 
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #343 on: March 23, 2008, 12:57:57 AM »

Death With Dignity Act
Section 1: Atlasia bestows the right to physician-assisted suicide to patients diagnosed with a fatal disease. Physicians may not be persecuted for assisting in the suicide if there is consent from the patient and all other requirements are met.
Section 2: At least two witnesses must sign to acknowledge that such a deicision has been reached between patient and physician.
Section 3: A two week waiting period must exist between the time of the decision and the actual time of the physician-assisted suicide.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #344 on: March 27, 2008, 10:13:55 PM »

Death With Dignity Act
Section 1: Atlasia bestows the right to physician-assisted suicide to patients diagnosed with a fatal disease. Physicians may not be persecuted for assisting in the suicide if there is consent from the patient and all other requirements are met.
Section 2: At least two witnesses must sign to acknowledge that such a decision has been reached between patient and physician.
Section 3: A two week waiting period must exist between the time of the decision and the actual time of the physician-assisted suicide.

Concerning this piece of legislation I would like to continue with the act. If current rules remain then I guess it would only apply to DC and the territories, though I am hoping that during its debate the Alignment with Territory Act would be passed and the Death with Dignity Act would have more relevance. This would hopefully solve some problems stated by some of Atlasia's citizens (that ColinW raised earlier).
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #345 on: April 06, 2008, 08:59:32 AM »

On behalf of Peter

Moderator Role and Status Bill
Section 1: Findings
1. The role of Moderators with respect to the Atlasian legal system is not presently addressed at all in Atlasian Law
2. The recent Walterstein case has raised specific issues surrounding IP checks and warrants.
3. The Senate recognises it should not and cannot restrict the actions of moderators with respect to their role as agents of Dave Leip.
4. Article VI, Section 8 states: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, communications and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Section 2: Immunity
Moderators shall not be answerable in Atlasian Courts for actions consistent with directions and tasks given to them by Dave Leip.

Section 3: Warrants
1. Should the Attorney General wish to ask a moderator to investigate the IP of a particular poster or several posters, then he shall apply to the Supreme Court for a search warrant, stating his reasons for suspecting the poster(s).
2. The Court may decline or issue the search warrant with such conditions as it feels necessary.
3. If a warrant is issued, the Attorney General may approach a moderator or Dave Leip to perform the search. The moderator/Dave Leip are under no obligation to perfrom the check if they feel it is not appropriate.
4. Any information supplied by the moderator/Dave Leip is considered to be privileged information unless they specifically allow it to be released to the public domain.

Section 4: Retroactive Warrants
Should a moderator/Dave Leip in the performance of their other duties come to the realisation that Atlasian Law has been broken and then inform the Attorney General of this fact, then the Attorney General may apply for a retroactive warrant for an IP investigation from the Court.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #346 on: April 08, 2008, 08:18:47 PM »

End to Districts Clarification Amendment
1. Article I, Section 4, Clause 5 is repealed
2. Any vacancy in a Class B Senate seats shall be filled in a manner that the Senate shall prescribe by Law.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #347 on: April 14, 2008, 11:27:28 AM »

Proportional Representation (By-Elections) Act

1. Sections 18-22 of the Proportional Representation Act (F.L. 21-2), dealing with vacancies, are hereby repealed.
2. In the event of a vacancy arising for whatever reason in a seat filled by Proportional Representation, a by-election shall be held on a nationwide basis in accordance with the terms outlined within the Consolidated Electoral System Reform Act (F.L. 14-2) and the Proportional Representation Act.
3. In the event of further such vacancies arising before the commencement of the by-election, a single by-election shall be held for all the vacant seats.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #348 on: April 14, 2008, 04:11:43 PM »

December Elections Amendment

1. Regular elections to the Senate in the month of December shall begin between midnight Eastern Standard Time on the second Thursday of the month and 0001 Eastern Standard Time on the first Friday thereafter, and shall conclude exactly 72 hours after beginning.

2. The exact time at which a given election or vote shall begin may be determined by the voting booth administrator subject to such restrictions as may be imposed by Law.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #349 on: April 16, 2008, 08:40:41 PM »

Ukulele Musical Learning Standardization Act

Section 1: Each school district shall include in their musical curriculum the instruction of how to play a ukulele.
Section 2: Each school district may decide in which grade the ukulele instruction shall occur.
Section 3: School districts must provide a ukulele to each student for the duration of the unit.

This is vital legislation.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies