Legislation Introduction Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:04:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Legislation Introduction Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 74
Author Topic: Legislation Introduction Thread  (Read 311049 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2006, 03:09:12 PM »
« edited: December 12, 2006, 04:54:33 PM by Sen. Ernest »

Enough bills have been proposed by other Senators that I feel comfortable adding a couple of my non-urgent pre-prepared bills to the calendar.

Farmer Free Speech Act

§1. Findings
   (a) There are a number of market promotion laws concerning agriculture that require producers of certain products to join and pay for organizations that promote that product, even if an individual producer does not agree with the either the purpose of the organization on the means chosen to promote the product.  While mechanisms exist for producers to be refunded or rebated such sums for most such programs, they are onerous and require the producer to repeatedly indicate that they wish to opt out of the promotion program.
   (b) Such organizations have acted contrary to the interests of producers not following the marketing strategy desired by the majority of producers.
   (c) Such organizations should be turned into ordinary voluntary membership organizations, without the possession of government sanction or coercion.

§2. Repeals and Savings
   (a) The following laws are repealed as of the second December 31 following the date of enactment of this Act.
      (1) Section 8c(6)(I) of the Agricultural Act [7 U.S.C. 608c(6)(I)].
      (2) The Cotton Research and Promotion Act (chapter 53 of title 7 [7 U.S.C. 2101 et seq.]).
      (3) The Potato Research and Promotion Act (chapter 58 of title 7 [7 U.S.C. 2611 et seq.]).
      (4) The Egg Research and Consumer Information Act (chapter 58 of title 7 [7 U.S.C. 2701 et seq.]).
      (5) The Beef Research and Information Act (chapter 60 of title 7 [7 U.S.C. 2901 et seq.]).
      (6) The Wheat and Wheat Foods Research and Nutrition Education Act (chapter 65 of title 7 [7 U.S.C. 3401 et seq.]).
      (7) The Floral Research and Consumer Information Act (chapter 74 of title 7 [7 U.S.C. 4301 et seq.]).
      (8) The Dairy Production Stabilization Act of 1983 (chapter 76 of title 7 [7 U.S.C. 4501 et seq.]).
      (9) The Honey Research, Promotion, and Consumer Information Act (chapter 77 of title 7 [7 U.S.C. 4601 et seq.]).
      (10) The Pork Promotion, Research, and Consumer Information Act of 1985 (chapter 79 of title 7 [7 U.S.C. 4801 et seq.]).
      (11) The Watermelon Research and Promotion Act (chapter 80 of title 7 [7 U.S.C. 4901 et seq.]).
      (12) The Pecan Promotion and Research Act of 1990 (chapter 89 of title 7 [7 U.S.C. 6001 et seq.]).
      (13) The Mushroom Promotion, Research, and Consumer Information Act of 1990 (chapter 90 of title 7 [7 U.S.C. 6101 et seq.]).
      (14) The Lime Research, Promotion, and Consumer Information Act of 1990 (chapter 91 of title 7 [7 U.S.C. 6201 et seq.]).
      (15) The Soybean Promotion, Research, and Consumer Information Act (chapter 92 of title 7 [7 U.S.C. 6301 et seq.]).
      (16) The Fluid Milk Promotion Act of 1990 (chapter 93 of title 7 [7 U.S.C. 6401 et seq.]).
      (17) The Fresh Cut Flowers and Fresh Cut Greens Promotion and Information Act of 1993 (chapter 97 of title 7 [7 U.S.C. 6801 et seq.]).
      (18) The Sheep Promotion, Research, and Information Act of 1994 (chapter 99 of title 7 [7 U.S.C. 7101 et seq.]).
      (19) Title V of the Federal Agriculture Improvement and Reform Act of 1996 (chapter 101 of title 7 [7 U.S.C. 7401 et seq.]).
      (20) The Hass Avocado Promotion, Research, and Information Act of 2000 (chapter 105 of title 7 [7 U.S.C. 7801 et seq.]).
   (b) No assessment or other fee shall be required under the laws repealed by subsection (a) for any period following the date of the repeal of said Acts.
   (c) The organizations established under the laws repealed by subsection (a) shall be given the opportunity to transform into private non-profit voluntary cooperative organizations.  Such organizations shall retain the trademarks and other intellectual property developed by the organizations while sanctioned by the laws repealed by subsection (a).

Federal Crop Insurance Subsidy Reduction Act

§1. Findings
   (a) Excessive subsidies of the Federal Crop Insurance program encourage the utilization of marginal land because of the reduction of moral hazard on the part of the producer.
   (b) The reduction of direct forms of agricultural subsidy has led to an increase in the usage of the Federal Crop Insurance program as an indirect subsidy.

§2. Reductions in Federal Crop Insurance subsidies
   (a) For the 2008 crop year, section 508(e)(2) of the Federal Crop Insurance Act [7 U.S.C. 1508(e)(2)] is amended as follows:
      (1) In subparagraph (A), the phrase "the premium" shall be replaced by "90 percent of the premium".
      (2) In subparagraph (B)(i), the phrase "67 percent" shall be replaced by "66 percent".
      (3) In subparagraph (C)(i), the phrase "64 percent" shall be replaced by "60 percent".
      (4) In subparagraph (D)(i), the phrase "59 percent" shall be replaced by "54 percent".
      (5) In subparagraph (E)(i), the phrase "55 percent" shall be replaced by "48 percent".
      (6) In subparagraph (F)(i), the phrase "48 percent" shall be replaced by "41 percent".
      (7) In subparagraph (G)(i), the phrase "38 percent" shall be replaced by "34 percent".
   (b) For the 2009 crop year, section 508(e)(2) of the Federal Crop Insurance Act [7 U.S.C. 1508(e)(2)] as amended by subsection (a) of this section is further amended as follows:
      (1) In subparagraph (A), the phrase "90 percent" shall be replaced by "75 percent".
      (2) In subparagraph (B)(i), the phrase "66 percent" shall be replaced by "60 percent".
      (3) In subparagraph (C)(i), the phrase "60 percent" shall be replaced by "54 percent".
      (4) In subparagraph (D)(i), the phrase "54 percent" shall be replaced by "48 percent".
      (5) In subparagraph (E)(i), the phrase "48 percent" shall be replaced by "42 percent".
      (6) In subparagraph (F)(i), the phrase "41 percent" shall be replaced by "36 percent".
      (7) In subparagraph (G)(i), the phrase "34 percent" shall be replaced by "30 percent".
   (c) For the 2010 and succeeding crop years, section 508(e)(2) of the Federal Crop Insurance Act [7 U.S.C. 1508(e)(2)] as amended by subsections (a) and (b) of this section is further amended as follows:
      (1) In subparagraph (A), the phrase "75 percent" shall be replaced by "60 percent".
      (2) In subparagraph (B)(i), the phrase "60 percent" shall be replaced by "50 percent".
      (3) In subparagraph (C)(i), the phrase "54 percent" shall be replaced by "45 percent".
      (4) In subparagraph (D)(i), the phrase "48 percent" shall be replaced by "40 percent".
      (5) In subparagraph (E)(i), the phrase "42 percent" shall be replaced by "35 percent".
      (6) In subparagraph (F)(i), the phrase "36 percent" shall be replaced by "30 percent".
      (7) In subparagraph (G)(i), the phrase "30 percent" shall be replaced by "25 percent".

§3. Already acquired insurance
   (a) Persons who have already acquired coverage under the Federal Crop Insurance program for the 2008 or any subsequent crop year prior to the passage of this Act shall either -
      (1) cancel the coverage and receive a full refund of any premium paid to date, or
      (2) pay a surcharge equal to the reduction in subsidy levels resulting from the passage of this Act.
   (b) Failure to indicate a choice by the beginning of the affected crop year shall be treated as if the covered person had elected under subsection (a) to cancel the coverage.
   (c) Covered persons may choose to cancel only a potion of their insurance and pay a surcharge on the remainder.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2006, 09:48:06 AM »

Atlasia Revitilization Committee Report Resolution

The Senate of Atlasia requests that the Atlasia Revitilization Committee (established under F.L. 15-3 Atlasia Revitilization Act), through a nominated representative, will deliver to the Senate a report of it's progress to date, any findings or reccomendations it has agreed so far, or any other matters which it deems worthy of the Senate's consideration, on or by the 29th of December 2006, three months after the committee's establishment.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2006, 03:16:48 PM »

Constitutional Amendment on Senate Posting Requirements

Article I, Section 1, Clause 2 is amended to read as follows:

No Person shall be a Senator who has not attained fifty or more posts, and is not a registered voter in the District or Region that they represent.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2006, 10:30:06 PM »

I withdraw my repeal of Deputy SoFA act bill.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2006, 08:02:52 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2006, 08:04:47 PM by Jas »

New Mexico Regional Transfer Resolution

Pursuant to Article IV, Section 2, Clause 2 of the Constitution, the Senate hereby consents to the transfer of the state of New Mexico from the Pacific region to the Midwest region.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2006, 02:03:04 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2006, 07:17:10 PM by Senator Dave 'Hawk' PPT »

Third Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia

Preamble

We the People of the Republic of Atlasia, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, support equality for all forum members and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the Republic of Atlasia.

Link:

Third Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia

Sponsor: Sen. Dave 'Hawk'
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2006, 05:11:20 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2006, 05:15:12 PM by Jas »

OSPR Amendment Resolution

Article 3, Section 2, Clause 2 of the OSPR shall be amended to read as follows:
There shall be seven slots available for debating legislation on the Senate floor. Of these slots, three shall be available for any purpose; two shall be available for any purpose except the debating of Amendments to the Constitution; one shall be available only for legislation that the PPT considers to be related to forum affairs or emergency legislation which can be introduced pursuant to Article 7, Section 1 of this resolution; and one shall be available for debating veto overrides pursuant to Article 5, Section 3.

The suggested amendments are highlighted in green. It amounts to creating one new slot for dealing with general legislation.

I introduce this because I feel that we need to be able to deal with the backlog of legislation more quickly and because I don't feel that one extra slot will overburden Senators ability to scrutinise legislation.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2007, 07:38:03 PM »

OPSR Amendment Debate Time Resolution

Article 4 Section 4 Clause 1 of the OPSR shall be amended by replacing "five (5) days" with "seventy-two (72) hours".

This amendment is introduced so as to standardize the time period for a vote on an amendment of an item before the Senate to the usual 72 hours for other time requirements under the OPSR.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2007, 11:53:26 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2007, 11:54:58 PM by Porce »

Reproductive Rights Bill

Section 1: Findings
1. F.L. 12-10, Abortion Restriction in Federal Territories Act, contains provisions that:
a.) Criminalize safe pregnancy termination procedures performed under most circumstances in the second trimester;
b.) Intrude on the constraints of a civil union contract entered into by a woman who is pregnant;
c.) Mandate the invasion of medical privacy for women based solely on their marital status;
d.) Discriminate against women on the basis of age in determining the ease with which a woman may obtain an abortion.

Section 2: Repealed Legislation
1. The Abortion Restriction in Federal Territories Act is repealed.

Embryonic Stem Cell Research Enhancement Bill

1. The government shall invest $50 million in scientific grants to aid the advancement of embryonic stem cell research.
2. The research progress is to be reviewed in three years with all participating to present findings, advances, and possible cures into diseases.
3. No restrictions shall be placed on the use of human embryos in therapeutic cloning and stem cell research.
4. F.L. 14-9, Human Cloning Act, is repealed.

Promotion of the Fine Arts Bill

1. F.L. 9-7, National Endowments for the Arts and for the Humanities Elimination Act, is repealed.
2. Funding for the National Endowments for the Arts and for the Humanities are hereby restored in full.

Abolition of Christmas Bill

1. Christmas, as a federal holiday celebrated on the twenty-fifth day of each December, is hereby abolished.
2. This law shall not be construed as to alter or repeal any regional laws regarding the Christmas holiday.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2007, 01:15:06 AM »
« Edited: January 15, 2007, 03:35:27 PM by Sen. Ernest »

Now that we have some more bills in the hopper I feel comfortable in adding some more of mine own proposals.

Federal Vending Facilities Reform Act

§1. Findings
   (a) The Randolph-Sheppard Act is a 1936 law that had the admirable goal of providing a preference to the legally blind in the operation of vending facilities on Federal property at a time when employment opportunities for the legally blind were scarce and vending machines were not as ubiquitous as they are today.
   (b) Assistive technologies have greatly widened the scope of available professions for the legally blind from what was achievable in 1936.
   (c) The subsequent development of vending machines and the passage of the Randolph-Sheppard Act Amendments of 1974 have effectively transformed the Randolph-Sheppard Act from one which provided the legally blind with self-employment into one which provides the legally blind with subsidy payments from vending machines operating in competition with them.

§2. Repeal
   (a) The Randolph-Sheppard Act (Chapter 6A of title 20 [20 U.S.C. section 107 et seq.]) and the fourth sentence of section 111(b) of title 23 (concerning highway rest stop vending machines) are hereby repealed subject to the savings provisions of this section.
   (b) Contracts with legally blind licensees to operate vending facilities under the provisions of the Randolph Sheppard Act (including payments under section 7 of said act from competing vending machines) shall continue in force until the normal end of the contract. If said contract contains provisions allowing renewal of the contract on a periodic basis, then the government shall agree to any renewal it would have agreed to save for the passage of this act until two years after the date of passage of this act. If said contract allows termination at will, the government shall terminate the contract two years after the date of passage of this act.
   (c) Termination of contracts with legally blind licensees shall be handled in accordance with the provisions of section 3 of the Randolph Sheppard Act.

§3. Additional transition period
   (a) The government shall be able to enter into non-competitive contracts with existing licensees for the operation of their current vending facilities after the repeal of the Randolph Sheppard Act takes effect. Such contracts shall be on a non-subsidy basis, but may take into account the convienience of continuity of service, amortization of existing equipment of the licensee, and other relevant factors favoring the retention of existing licensees over other potential vendors that would not normally be considered under Title 41, Public Contracts.
   (b) No such contract under this section may be entered into that -
      (1) begins later than five years after the passage of this Act, or
      (2) ends later than eight years after the passage of this Act.

Food for Real Progress Act

§1. Findings
   (a) The Food for Progress Act of 1985 [7 U.S.C. 1736o] has the laudable stated goal of encouraging the introduction or expansion of free enterprise elements in the agricultural economies of developing democracies.
   (b) However, the primary assistance provided under said Act is the provision of agricultural commodities at below-market prices, thereby depressing the prices that agricultural producers in recipient countries can hope to receive for their produce.

§2. Repeal
   (a) The Food for Progress Act of 1985 is repealed, subject to subsection (b).
   (b) Assistance already pledged under the Act shall be given, provided such assistance is given no later than the end of the current fiscal year.

Guayule Privatization Act

§1. Findings
   (a) The guayule plant (Parthenium argentatum) is a shrub native to the Sonoran desert of Atlasia and Mexico that serves as an alternate source of natural rubber.
   (b) Despite considerable effort by the government to develop the plant as an alternative to latex rubber during World War II and afterwards, it remains costlier and is likely to remain so for the foreseeable future.
   (c) The current likelihood of a disruption of access to supplies of latex rubber sufficient to affect the economic well-being of Atlasia is essentially nil.
   (d) Because of its hypoallergenic properties, there is a small private market for guayule rubber that provides a basis for private development of this agricultural resources without a program of specialized government development.

§2. Repeals
   The Act of March 5, 1942, authorizing the government to run guayule plantations and the Critical Agricultural Materials Act, establishing the Joint Commission on Research and Development of Critical Agricultural Materials are repealed as of start of the first fiscal year beginning 90 days after the date of passage of this Act.

§3. Disposal of Property.
   The President is directed to dispose of the assets acquired or developed to further the purposes of the laws repealed in section 2 of this Act in accordance with chapter 5 of Title 40.

§4. Rule of Construction
    Nothing in this Act shall be construed to prohibit the funding of research into the cultivation of the guayule plant or into the economic exploitation of its products under other laws of the Republic of Atlasia of general import.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2007, 11:54:55 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2007, 01:37:07 AM by Porce »

I'm withdrawing the Comprehensive Free Trade Bill in light of unlikely Senate passage and introducing four new pieces of legislation.

Cuban Relations Bill

1. The Cuban Liberty and Democratic Solidarity Act of 1996 is hereby repealed.
2. The Cuban Democracy Act of 1992 is hereby repealed.
3. Cuban refugees shall be granted political asylum in Atlasia, conforming with the standart rules of asylum.
4. Radio and TV Marti shall be shut down, and every law related to them shall be repealed.
5. Trade sanctions against Cuba shall be repealed, except in what concerns military goods; Atlasian citizens and companies shall be free to visit and establish business in Cuba as they see fit.
6. The Secretary of External Affairs shall move to the normalization of diplomatic relations with Cuba.

Conscription Amendment
Article VI is amended to include the following clause:
"No person shall be required to serve in defense of Atlasia involuntarily."

Anti-CARLHAYDEN Bill

Section 1: Current Status of Illegal Aliens
1. No hospital or place of medical care may deny treatment to a person based on their status as an alien or noncitizen.
2. Within two weeks after the passage of this act, employers paying below the minimum wage to illegal aliens shall be prosecuted as if they were paying below the minimum wage to legal workers.

Section 2: Amnesty
1. Any illegal alien who is not suspected of terrorism charges, or has been convicted of murder, rape, or high robbery, may apply for citizenship one month after the passage of this act.
2. No person shall be denied citizenship based on their status at any time in the past as an illegal alien.
3. No person who is an illegal alien upon the passage of this act may be considered for deportation solely because of their alien status, and all charges pertaining towards their status as an illegal alien will be dropped.

Right to Die Bill

Section 1: Application
1. This law shall apply only in federal territories and the District of Columbia.

Section 2: The Right to Die
1. The Right to a dignified death when blighted with a terminal illness and great suffering is hereby granted to all those mentally sane residents of the applicable areas as specified in Section 1.
2. If a person shall opt to invoke this Right, they may seek assistance from medical practitioners to grant them a dignified death.
3. In order to invoke this Right, the person must sign a notice containing their wishes and must have the same signed by a public notary.
4. This notice, along with the relevant certifications as specified by Section 4, must be lodged with the federal Courts of Law to have effect, and such notice shall take effect seven days after it is lodged with the Courts.
5. The method of assisting a person to a dignified death is left at the discretion of the person concerned after consultation with a medical practitioner, and may include a medical practitioner administering a lethal dose of a controlled substance to the person.

Section 3: Living Wills
1. All mentally sane residents of the Southeast shall have the right to provide instructions for the event that they are blighted with a terminal illness and incapacitated from communicating their wishes.
2. These may include instructions for the ending of their life through withdrawal of treatment or direct action.
3. In order to provide these instructions, a person must sign a notice stating such instructions, and must have the same signed by a public notary.
4. This notice must be lodged with the federal Courts of Law to have effect.
5. A living will may only be acted if authorization to is received from a federal Court of Law, which shall only issue such an order if they receive all certifications as specified in Section 4.

Section 4: Medical Determinations
1. A person shall be deemed to be blighted with a terminal illness if two certified medical practitioners certify the same in writing. At least one of these practitioners shall be a specialist in the field of medicine that relates to the illness suffered from by the person concerned.
2. A person shall be deemed to be in great suffering if two certified medical practitioners certify that in their medical judgement the person is in such distress that their quality of life is reduced and that there is no further medical assistance that can be given to substantially improve their quality of life.
3. A person shall be deemed to be mentally sane if a certified medical practitioner with specialism in psychiatry shall certify the same in writing.
4. A person shall be deemed to be incapacitated from communicating their wishes if three certified medical practitioners shall certify the same in writing.
5. None of those performing certification pursuant to this Section may benefit directly or indirectly from the death of the person concerned, except as may occur through the payment for provision of services.

Section 5: Prosecutions
1. No medical practitioner acting to assist the person to a dignified death shall be prosecutable unless they have in some way deviated from or ignored the procedures outlined in this statute.
2. If a medical practitioner shall deviate from the procedure in this statute, then they shall be liable to have their medical license revoked and may be subject to prosecution in the Courts, punishable by up to 1 year in jail and a fine of up to $100,000.
3. If a medical practitioner shall unduly encourage to invoke their rights as outlined in Section 2 or Section 3 and shall assist in executing these rights, or shall engage in direct action to hasten death without consent, then they shall be guilty of murder.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2007, 10:39:25 PM »

Emergency Resolution Addressing the Pacific-Midwest Situation

Whereas, the Midwest has agreed to the transfer of New Mexico from the Pacific to its borders without anything in return;
Whereas, the Pacific unanimously voted against said transfer of New Mexico to the Midwest;
Whereas, the Midwest persists in seeking to obtain New Mexico by aiding rebellious insurgents who are attempting to nullify democratically passed Pacific laws;
Whereas, the Midwest declared its current governor to have been given an unlimited term dependent on specified circumstances in direct and clear violation of the constitution;
The Senate declares its support of the Pacific in addressing the rebel insurgents in New Mexico and its opposition to the Midwest's intimidation tactics.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2007, 08:36:44 PM »

Constitutional Amendment to Create a House of Representatives (part 1)

Amendment Section 1: Modification of Article 1 of the Constitution

Article 1 of the Constitution shall be re-written as follows:

Section 1: The Senate

All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the Republic of Atlasia, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives.

Section 2: The House of Representatives

1. Each Region shall have a number of Representatives based on its population, but each Region shall have at least one Representative.
   2. The Method and Frequency of apportionment shall decided upon in the same manner as the proposition of a Bill.
   3. No Person shall be a Representative who has not attained a fifty or more posts, and is not a registered voter in the Region that they represent.
   4. A Representative shall serve for a term of two months, with no limit on the number of terms s/he may serve.
   5. The House of Representatives shall choose their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.

Section 3: The Senate

1. The Senate shall be composed of ten Senators, each with a term of four months. Five Senators shall be elected from Districts and Five Senators shall be elected from Regions
   2. No Person shall be a Senator who has not attained a hundred or more posts, and is not a registered voter in the District or Region that they represent.
   3. The Vice President of the Republic of Atlasia shall be the President of the Senate, but shall have no vote unless they be equally divided.
   4. The Senate shall choose their other officers, and also a President Pro Tempore, who shall act as President of the Senate in the absence of the Vice President.
   5. The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the Republic of Atlasia is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.
   6. Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office for a time period explicitly specified in the Articles of Impeachment.

Section 4: Regular Election to Congress

1. The Senate shall be divided into two classes: Class A, which shall comprise the Senators elected from the Regions, and Class B, which shall comprise the Senators elected from the Districts.
   2. Elections for the Senate Seats in Class A shall be held in the months of February, June and October; Elections for the seats in Class B shall be held in the months of April, August and December. Election for House Seats shall be held at the same time as both the Class A and B Senate Seats.
   3. Elections shall take place on the weekend which includes the second Friday in the month of December and the weekend which includes the second to last Friday of all other months in which an election shall be scheduled.
   4. The voting booth administrator may open voting at a time when s/he is able but laws may be passed putting requirements on when the voting booth must be opened and when a noticed of such time must be posted. Once opened, voting will be allowed for exactly 72 hours.
   5. Congress shall have necessary power to determine regulations for the procedure of and the form of Congressional elections and shall have necessary power to determine a procedure for declaration of candidacy for such elections. All elections to Congress shall be by public post.
   6. Those elected in ordinary elections to Congress shall take office at noon Eastern Standard Time on the first Friday in the month after their election. Those elected in special elections to the Senate shall take office as soon as the result of their election has been formally declared.

Section 5: Filling a Vacancy to Congress

1. If a vacancy shall occur in a Regional Senate seat, then the Region shall have the right to fill the seat in any manner it so chooses.
   2. If a vacancy shall occur in either a District Senate seat or a House seat and there are more than two weeks remaining in the term, an election shall be held over a weekend within ten days of the vacancy.
   3. If the electoral system changes, the system used to elect the the seat previously shall be used and the new system shall not go into effect into the next regular election.

Section 6: Congressional Rules and Legislation

1. The Senate and the House of Representatives each may establish rules for its own proceedings, and with the concurrence of two-thirds of its number, expel a member.
   2. The Senate and the House of Representatives each shall have fulfilled a quorum if a majority of its members are capable of discharging their offices and sworn into office. A quorum of the members of the Senate or House of Representatives shall have voted on any Resolution, Bill, Impeachment or Constitutional Amendment for it to be considered valid.
   3. For any Bill or Resolution to pass the Senate or the House of Representatives, it shall have gained a majority in a valid vote. Before the Bill or Resolution becomes Law, it must be passed by both the Senate and the House of Representatives and then be presented to the President of the Republic of Atlasia, unless it be concerning the rules for the proceedings of the Senate or the House of Representatives. If the President approves, he shall sign it, and it shall become Law. If the President does not approve, he shall return the Bill with his objections to Congress, and it shall not become Law. Upon reconsidering the Bill, if the Senate and House of Representatives each shall approve the legislation by two-thirds of its number, it shall become Law. If a Bill is not returned to Congress by the President within seven days after it shall have been presented to him, it shall become Law regardless.
   4. All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.
   5. All bills that draw money from the Treasury shall have those clauses which draw money from the Treasury subject to the Line Item Veto Power of the President. Once a bill drawing money from the Treasury shall pass both the Senate and the House of Representatives, it shall be presented to the President; If he does not approve of some of those clauses that draw money from the Treasury, he shall remove them from the bill via his Line Item Veto Power, and then shall sign the bill. In order for the revised bill to become Law it must be passed by the both the Senate and the House of Representatives. If the revised bill is not passed by both the Senate and the House of Representatives, they shall return the original bill to him, and it shall be handled in the same way as a bill under Clause 3 of this Section. If either the Senate or the House of Representatives shall not approve of the revisions made by the President, they may override his Line Item Veto with the concurrence of two-thirds of its number of each, and the original bill shall become Law.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2007, 08:37:49 PM »

Constitutional Amendment to Create a House of Representatives (part 2)

Section 7: Powers of Congress

Congress shall have the power save where limited by other provisions in the Constitution-

1. To lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the Regions of the Republic of Atlasia and the District of Columbia.
   2. To borrow money on the credit of the Republic of Atlasia and repay such debts.
   3. To regulate commerce with foreign nations.
   4. To provide an area of Freedom, Security and Justice without internal frontiers, and a single market where competition is free and undistorted.
   5. To establish uniform rules of Naturalization and Alienation, Marriage and Divorce, and Adoption and Emancipation of Minors throughout the Republic of Atlasia.
   6. To establish uniform laws on the subjects of Bankruptcies, Contracts, and Incorporation throughout the Republic of Atlasia.
   7. To provide for the Punishment of Fraud in a uniform manner throughout the Republic of Atlasia
   8. To establish coin and currency, which shall be the sole legal tender of the Republic of Atlasia, regulate the value thereof, with respect to other coin and currency.
   9. To fix standards of weights and measures and of such items of commerce as it deems needful throughout the Republic of Atlasia.
  10. To build or regulate the infrastructure needed for communication and transportation.
  11. To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right throughout the Republic of Atlasia to their respective Writings and Discoveries for limited Times which shall not be extended once secured.
  12. To promote Science and the useful Arts by sponsoring researches on diverse subjects.
  13. To promote the Public Health, by the conducting of researches, investigations, experiments, and demonstrations relating to the cause, diagnosis, and treatment of medical disorders and by assisting and fostering such research activities by public and private agencies.
  14. To protect the Public Health and commerce, by providing for the quarantine, vaccination, and treatment of individuals, animals and plants as needed to prevent the spread of contagious diseases.
  15. To promote the distribution of Knowledge of Science and useful Arts, by assisting and fostering persons seeking to be educated, to provide education, or to produce educational materials.
  16. To provide for the humanitarian relief of the distress caused by unpredictable events of natural or man-made origin.
  17. To provide for systems of Insurance and Annuity for Unemployment, Disability, and Retirement.
  18. To have sole power to declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning captures on land and water;
  19. To define and punish piracies and felonies committed on the high seas, and offenses against the law of nations.
  20. To promote Comity between Nations by engaging in such activities with other Nations as are of mutual benefit.
  21. To provide for the common defense of the Republic of Atlasia.
  22. To raise and support armed forces and to make rules for the government and regulation of the armed forces of the Republic of Atlasia.
  23. To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions.
  24. To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the Republic of Atlasia, reserving to the Regions respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by the Senate.
  25. To exercise exclusive legislation, in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding twelve nautical miles square) as may, by cession of particular Regions, and the acceptance of the Senate, become the seat of the government of the Republic of Atlasia, and to be known as the District of Columbia.
  26. To exercise exclusive legislation, in all cases whatsoever, over all places purchased by the consent of the legislature of the Region in which the same shall be, for the provision of military facilities, courthouses, and other needful buildings.
  27. To exercise exclusive legislation, in all cases whatsoever, over such Territory as may be under the jurisdiction of the Republic of Atlasia, but are not part of any Region.
  28. To create the Executive Departments as it may deem necessary and to assign duties to their officers.
  29. To Suspend the Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus, and to make provision for its Suspension by the executive when the Senate is not in session, but the Privilege shall be Suspended only when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.
  30. And to make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the powers enumerated in this section, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the Republic of Atlasia, or in any department or officer thereof.

Section 8: Powers denied to Congress

1. No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.
   2. No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall vary depending upon the Region of which the Person it be laid against shall live.
   3. No Tax or Duty shall be laid on Articles exported from any Region.
   4. No Preference shall be given by any Regulation of Commerce or Revenue to the Ports of one Region over those of another: nor shall Vessels bound to, or from, one Region, be obliged to enter, clear, or pay Duties in another.
   5. No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.
   6. No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the Republic of Atlasia: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Senate, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.
   7. No Law requiring any action to be taken or to be not taken by a Region shall be passed, except to preserve the rights of the Senate or of the People enumerated under the Constitution.

Section 9: Powers denied to the Regions

1. No Region shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation, save that with the Consent of Congress they may enter into Agreements or Compacts with other Regions for purposes of handling Specific Issues which affect more than one Region but which do not affect the Republic of Atlasia as a Whole.
   2. No Region may issue Coin or Currency or make any Coin or Currency other than that of the Republic of Atlasia a legal tender.
   3. No Region may pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts
   4. No Region may grant any Title of Nobility.
   5. No Region shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing its inspection Laws: and the net Produce of all Duties, laid by any Region on Imports or Exports, shall be for the Use of the Treasury of the Republic of Atlasia; and all such Laws shall be subject to the Control of the Senate.
   6. No Region shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage.
   7. No Region shall, without the Consent of Congress, maintain Armed Forces in time of Peace.
   8. No Region shall, without the Consent of Congress, enter into any Agreement or Compact with a foreign Power.

Section 10: Budget

1. Congress shall be responsible for drafting and approving a Budget at the opening of each Congressional session after a Presidential election has been held, with the Preliminary Budget for the fiscal year being drafted and approved in March of the respective year, a Revision of the Budget being drafted and approved in July and the Final Version of the Budget being drafted and approved in November of the respective year.
   2. The GM must provide Congress with comprehensive economic figures (such as GDP estimates, estimates of tax revenue, or needed additional appropriations, etc.) at the above-specified times of drafting and approving each and every budget.
   3. This yearly Budgetary work will comprise an entire Fiscal Year in Atlasia. A Fiscal Year in Atlasia will comprise of one calendar year (12 months).
   4. All Congressional legislation passed in the four (4) months preceding an approval of the Revision or Final Version of the Budget must be included in the Budget of that same Fiscal Year. Any Congressional legislation passed after the Final Version of the Budget has been approved must be included in the Budget for the upcoming Fiscal Year.
   5. Each and every Budget must be approved by a majority vote of both houses of Congress. Only the Final Version of the Budget must be approved and signed into law by the President.
   6. After the Final Version of the Budget is approved by Congress and the President and signed into law, Congress shall appropriate money raised by the Budget as it deems appropriate.

Amendment Section 2: Conditions for Changes to take affect

In addition to Ratification by the regions, before this amendment shall go into affect, the Senate shall pass the following legislation:

1. Legislation to define the method and frequency of apportionment that determines the number of seats each region shall have in the House of Representatives in accordance with Section 2, Clause 2.
   2. Legislation to define the time and other requirements for congressional elections in accordance with Section 4, Clause 4.
   3. Legislation to define the method of election for the members of the House of Representatives in accordance with Section 4, Clause 5.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2007, 08:05:54 AM »
« Edited: March 27, 2007, 07:40:29 AM by Jas »

OSPR Amendment (Absent Senators) Resolution
That the following be added to the OSPR as 'Article 10: Absent Senators':

1. Where a Senator fails or neglects to post on any matter of Senate business for a period of not less than 14 days, said Senator shall be considered 'absent'.
2. During such time as a Senator is considered 'absent', he shall not be considered to add to the quorum of the Senate, until such time as he once more posts on a matter of Senate business.

OSPR Amendment (Absence of PPT) Resolution
1. That in Article 2, Section 2, Clause 1b of the OSPR, the terms "seven (7)" be amended to read "three (3)".
2. That in Article 2, Section 3, Clause 1 (ii) of the OSPR, the term "five" shall be amended to read "three".
3. That in Article 2, Section 3, Clause 1 (iii) of the OSPR, the term "five" shall be amended to read "three".
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2007, 12:51:51 PM »

Two more bills from the desk of Senator Ernest

Imitation Butter and Cheese Regulation Act

§1. Findings
   (a) The regulation of the sale of imitation butter and cheese has been subject to State regulation under the Act of May 9, 1902, even when such product is part of interstate commerce.
   (b) Improvements in the refrigeration, transportation, and federal regulatory processes since the passage of the Act of May 9, 1902, make national regulation of these products feasible.
   (c) The Constitutional mandate for the Senate to provide "a single market where competition is free and undistorted" would be better served by national standards on these products, rather than those of each Region or State.

§2. National Standards
   (a) The Secretary of Health and Human Services is directed to develop in the usual manner regulations setting standards for imitation butter and cheese under the authority granted by the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
   (b) Such standards shall as far as practicable be designed so that under the standards set by the States under the authority of the Act of May 9, 1902 -
      (1) any product which meets all such standards shall meet the new national standard, and
      (2) no product which does not meet at least one such standard shall meet the new national standard.

§3. Repeal and transition
   (a) Section 1 of the Act of May 9, 1902, granting the States authority to regulate the sale of imitation butter and cheese, even when said product is produced in another State, is repealed as of the date the regulations called for in section 2 of this Act enter into force.
   (b) The regulations developed under section 2 of this Act may incorporate provisions with effect in only one or more States so as to facilitate the transition from State to national regulation of commerce in imitation butter and cheese.  Such provisions may only remain in effect a maximum of two years after the date the regulations called for in section 2 of this Act enter into force.

Immigration Reform Act of 2007

(In next post or two due to length.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2007, 12:56:48 PM »

Immigration Reform Act of 2007

§1. Changes in the number of immigrants subject to direct numerical limitations
   (a) Family-sponsored immigrants
      (1) The number "480,000" in section 201(c)(1)(A)(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1151(c)(1)(A)(i)] shall be substituted by -
         (A) "500,000" for fiscal year 2008;
         (B) "550,000" for fiscal year 2009;
         (C) "600,000" for fiscal year 2010; and
         (D) "1/500 of the population of Atlasia, as established by the last completed decennial census" for fiscal year 2011 and thereafter.
      (2) The number "226,000" in sections 201(c)(1)(B)(ii) and 203(a)(2) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1151(c)(1)(B)(ii), 1153(a)(2)] shall be substituted by -
         (A) "250,000" for fiscal year 2008;
         (B) "275,000" for fiscal year 2009;
         (C) "300,000" for fiscal year 2010; and
         (D) "1/1000 of the population of Atlasia, as established by the last completed decennial census" for fiscal year 2011 and thereafter.
      (3) The number "23,400" in paragraphs (1) and (3) of section 203(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1153(a)(1),(3)] shall be substituted by -
         (A) "25,000" for fiscal year 2008;
         (B) "27,500" for fiscal year 2009;
         (C) "30,000" for fiscal year 2010; and
         (D) "1/10,000 of the population of Atlasia, as established by the last completed decennial census" for fiscal year 2011 and thereafter.
      (4) The number "114,200" in section 203(a)(2) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1153(a)(2)] shall be substituted by -
         (A) "125,000" for fiscal year 2008;
         (B) "137,500" for fiscal year 2009;
         (C) "150,000" for fiscal year 2010; and
         (D) "1/2000 of the population of Atlasia, as established by the last completed decennial census" for fiscal year 2011 and thereafter.
      (5) The number "65,000" in section 203(a)(4) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1153(a)(4)] shall be substituted by -
         (A) "75,000" for fiscal year 2008;
         (B) "82,500" for fiscal year 2009;
         (C) "90,000" for fiscal year 2010; and
         (D) "3/10,000 of the population of Atlasia, as established by the last completed decennial census" for fiscal year 2011 and thereafter.
   (b) Employment-based immigrants
   The number "140,000" in section 201(d)(1) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1151(d)(1)] shall be substituted by -
         (A) "160,000" for fiscal year 2008;
         (B) "180,000" for fiscal year 2009;
         (C) "200,000" for fiscal year 2010; and
         (D) "1/1500 of the population of Atlasia, as established by the last completed decennial census" for fiscal year 2011 and thereafter.
   (c) Diversity immigrants
   The number "55,000" in section 201(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1151(e)] shall be substituted by -
         (A) "57,000" for fiscal year 2008;
         (B) "58,500" for fiscal year 2009;
         (C) "60,000" for fiscal year 2010; and
         (D) "1/5000 of the population of Atlasia, as established by the last completed decennial census," for fiscal year 2011 and thereafter.
   (d) Cancellation of removal; adjustment of status
   The number "4,000" in section 240A(e)(1) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1229b(e)(1)] shall be substituted by -
         (A) "4,800" for fiscal year 2008;
         (B) "5,400" for fiscal year 2009;
         (C) "6,000" for fiscal year 2010; and
         (D) "1/50,000 of the population of Atlasia, as established by the last completed decennial census," for fiscal year 2011 and thereafter.
   (e) Adjustment of status for victims of trafficking
   The number "5,000" in section 245(l)(4)(A) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1255(l)(4)(A)] shall be substituted by -
         (A) "5,400" for fiscal year 2008;
         (B) "5,700" for fiscal year 2009;
         (C) "6,000" for fiscal year 2010; and
         (D) "1/50,000 of the population of Atlasia, as established by the last completed decennial census," for fiscal year 2011 and thereafter.

§2. Changes in the number of nonimmigrants subject to direct numerical limitations
   Effective beginning fiscal year 2011, section 214(g)(1) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1184(g)(1)] shall be amended to read as follows:
      "(1) The total number of aliens who may be issued visas or otherwise provided nonimmigrant status during any fiscal year -
         "(A) under subparagraph (H)(i)(b) [8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(15)(H)(i)(b)] of section 101(a)(15) of the Immigration and Nationality Act may not exceed 1/4000 of the population of Atlasia, as established by the last completed decennial census; or
         "(B) under subparagraph (H)(ii)(b) [8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(15)(H)(ii)(b)] of section 101(a)(15) of the Immigration and Nationality Act may not exceed 1/4000 of the population of Atlasia, as established by the last completed decennial census."

§2, Clarification of whether certain territories to be considered as a separate foreign state or dependent area
   (a) Separate foreign states
   Notwithstanding any other law, the following shall be considered separate foreign states for the purposes of a numerical level established under subsection (a)(2) of section 202 of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1152(a)(2)]:
      (1) the constituent countries of the United Kingdom,
      (2) New Caledonia,
      (3) the Republic of China,
      (4) the special administrative regions of the People's Republic of China,
      (5) Kosova, and
      (6) Palestine.
   (b) Dependant areas
   Notwithstanding any other law, the following shall be considered dependant areas for the purposes of a numerical level established under subsection (a)(2) of section 202 of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1152(a)(2)]:
      (1) Åland,
      (2) the autonomous regions of the People's Republic of China,
      (3) the autonomous countries of Denmark,
      (4) the départements d'outre-mer of the French Republic,
      (5) the autonomous countries of the Netherlands
      (6) the crown dependencies of the United Kingdom and
      (7) the Duchy of Cornwall.
   (c) Construction
   The designation of an area as a separate foreign state or as a dependent area under either this section or subsection (a)(2) of section 202 of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1152(a)(2)] shall not be construed as formal recognition of the level of sovereignity of a territory nor for any other purpose unrelated to determining the numbers of immigrants admitted from certain territories.
   (d) Repeal of superseded law
   Section 103 of Pub. L. 101-649 (relating to Hong Kong) and section 714 of Pub. L. 97-113 (relating to Taiwan) are repealed as superseded by this section, and any reference to said sections in any law, regulation, or rule shall be deemed to be a reference to the corresponding provisions of this section.

§3. Ending of special immigration status for certain Amerasian children
   (a) Repeal
   Section 204(f) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1154(f)] granting special immigration status for Amerasian children born prior to October 22, 1982 shall be repealed as of October 22, 2007.
   (b) Savings
   No person admitted as an immigrant under the provision repealed in subsection (a) shall have that status adversely affected as a result of such repeal.

§4. Ending of bar to the admission of practicing polygamists
   (a) Repeal
   Section 212(a)(10)(A) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1182(a)(10)(A)] barring the admission of practicing polygamists shall be repealed as of fiscal year 2008.
   (b) Construction
   This section shall not be construed as legal recognition of a polygamous relationship by the Republic of Atlasia or any of its subdivisions.  This section shall not be construed as invalidating any criminal or civil penalty for polygamy under the laws of the Republic of Atlasia or any of its subdivisions.  This section shall not be construed as allowing more than one spouse entry for the purpose of accompanying an alien allowed admission where existing law allows for entry of a single such spouse. 

§5. Ending of special non-visa admission to Guam
   (a) Repeal
   Section 212(l) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1182(l)] providing for the admission of certain aliens to Guam for a period of no more than 15 days shall be repealed as of fiscal year 2009.
   (b) Conforming repeals
   The following portions of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1101 et seq.] shall be repealed as of fiscal year 2009.
      (1) Section 212(a)(7)(B)(iii) [8 U.S.C. 1182(a)(7)(B)(iii)],
      (2) The second sentence of section 214(a)(1) [8 U.S.C. 1184(a)(1)], and
      (3) The words "section 212(l) of this Act or" in sections 245(c)(4) and 248(4) [8 U.S.C. 1255(c)(4), 1258(4)].
   (c) Transition
   A person admitted under section 212(l) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1182(l)] during the last 15 days of fiscal year 2008 shall be able remain in Guam for a full 15 days not withstanding the repeals under subsections (a) and (b) of this section under the conditions that would pertain if said repeals had not been enacted.

(continued)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2007, 12:59:50 PM »

Immigration Reform Act of 2007 (post 2 of 3)

§6. H-2A Program improvements
   (a) Barring land transfer to avoid penalty for violations
   To prevent efforts to avoid penalties for violations of the temporary agricultural worker (H-2A) program by transferring control of land where violations occur to another employer, the following shall be added as paragraph (5) to section 218(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1188(b)]
      "(5)(A) The employer has agricultural control of land, except as provided in subparagraph (C), where a violation of a material term or condition of the labor certification with respect to the employment of domestic or nonimmigrant workers has occurred within the two previous years, regardless of whether such land was under the agricultural control of the employer at the time of the violation.
         "(B) In this paragraph “agricultural control” means being either the lessor of the land with the right to make agricultural use of the land, or the owner of such land who has not leased such right to another party.
         "(C) This paragraph shall not apply to the owner of land described in subparagraph (A) if the violation was made by a lessor with agricultural control at the time of the violation, and the owner agrees to make no agricultural use of said land until two years after the violation occurred."
   (b) Repeal of biennial H-2A Program reports
   Section 403 of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 [8 U.S.C. 1188 note] requiring biennial reports by the President to the legislative branch on the temporary agricultural worker (H-2A) program shall be repealed after the presentation of the next scheduled report.

§7. Increase in penalty for violation of regulations of ports of entry for aliens arriving by aircraft
   Section 234 of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1224] providing for the designation of ports of entry for aliens arriving by aircraft is amended by substituting "$5,000" for "$2,000" in each place that it occurs.

§8. Removal of prohibition against importation of aliens for prostitution or other immoral purposes
   (a) Repeal
   Section 278 of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1328] banning the importation of aliens for prostitution or other immoral purposes is repealed as of the end of the current fiscal year.
   (b) Construction
      (1) This section shall not be construed as permitting the entry of aliens for such purposes in such areas where they are illegal.
      (2) This section shall not be construed as permitting the entry of aliens barred from entry because of a previous violation of such repealed law.
      (3) This section shall not be construed as barring the prohibition of the importation of such alien for such purposes, if such prohibition can be based on any other section of law.

§9. Abolition of the Immigration Enforcement Account
   (a) Repeal
   Section 280(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1330(b)] providing for an Immigration Enforcement Account is repealed as of the end of the current fiscal year.
   (b) Disposition of funds
      (1) Penalties that would have gone into the Immigration Enforcement Account  in a any succeeding fiscal year shall either be disbursed according to other law that would be operative in the absence of said section 280(b), or if there be no such law, into the treasury as general receipts.
      (2) All funds in the Immigration Enforcement Account as of the end of the current fiscal year shall be covered into the treasury as general receipts.

§10. Harmonization of work hours and rates of overtime pay for immigration officials with other Federal employees.
   (a) Repeal
   The Act of Mar. 2, 1931 (46 Stat. 1467 [8 U.S.C. 1353a, 1353b]) shall be repealed effective as of the first pay period of fiscal year 2008.
   (b) Conforming repeals
      (1) The Act of Aug. 22, 1940 (54 Stat. 858 [8 U.S.C. 1353d]) shall be repealed effective as of the first pay period of fiscal year 2008.
      (2) Section 5549(2) of Title 5, United States Code shall be repealed effective as of the first pay period of fiscal year 2008.
   (c) Adjustment of pay grade
   The President is authorized, consistent with the guidelines of section 5104 of Title 5, United States Code, to adjust, effective as of the first pay period of fiscal year 2008, the pay grades of positions affected by this section so as to minimize the difference in overall pay caused by the switch in the method of calculating overtime pay and hours resulting from this section.

§11. Passenger inspection fees
   (a) Increases
      (1) The figure "$7" in section 286(d) of Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1356(d)] shall be replaced by -
         (A) "$8" for fiscal year 2008,
         (B) "$9" for fiscal year 2009, and
         (C) "$10" for fiscal year 2010 and thereafter.
      (1) The figure "$3" in section 286(e)(3) of Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1356(e)(3)] shall be replaced by -
         (A) "$3.50" for fiscal year 2008,
         (B) "$4" for fiscal year 2009,
         (C) "$4.50" for fiscal year 2010, and
         (D) "$5" for fiscal year 2011 and thereafter.
   (b) Ending of accounting gimmick for fees collected during fourth fiscal quarter
   The following text is struck from section 286(f)(3) of Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1356(f)(3)]: ", except the fourth quarter payment for fees collected from airline passengers shall be made on the date that is ten days before the end of the fiscal year, and the first quarter payment shall include any collections made in the preceding quarter that were not remitted with the previous payment" effective as of the beginning the first fourth fiscal quarter begun after the date of enactment of this Act.

§12. Metrification of distances in the Immigration and Nationality Act and related legislation
   (a) Section 258(d)(3)
   In section 258(d)(3) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1288(d)(3)] -
      (1) the distance "5 miles" in subparagraph (A)(iii)(IV) shall be replaced by "10 kilometers", and
      (2) the distance "7 1/2 miles" in subparagraph (B) shall be replaced by "15 kilometers".
   (b) Section 287(a)(3)
   In section 287(a)(3) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1357(a(3)] the distance "twenty-five miles" shall be replaced by "50 kilometers".
   (c) Title 10
   In section 374(b)(2)(B) of Title 10, United States Code, the distance "25 miles" shall be replaced by "50 kilometers".
   (c) Effective date
   This section shall be effective as of 90 days after the date of enactment of this Act.

§13. Repeal of reimbursement for costs of incarcerating illegal aliens and certain Cuban nationals
   Sections 501 and 13 of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 [8 U.S.C. 1365, 1522(f)] shall be repealed effective as of fiscal year 2009.

§14. Change in frequency of reports of detention space in alien detention facilities
   Reports required under section 386 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996, as amended, [8 U.S.C. 1368] shall effective September 30, 2008 be required on an annual basis instead of a semi-annual basis.  Such reports shall be due no later than June 30 of each year.

§15. Clarifying the status of children born to illegal immigrants
   (a) Subject to the jurisdiction of Atlasia
   The following shall be added as section 309A of Title III of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1410]:
   "§ 309A. Subject to the jurisdiction of Atlasia
      "(a) Definition - On or after January 1, 2008, for purposes of this title, a person shall be considered to be “subject to the jurisdiction of Atlasia”, only if such person is born of parents at least one of whom is a citizen of Atlasia, a national of Atlasia, or an immigrant alien of Atlasia.
      "(b) Savings - This section shall not affect the nationality status of any person born prior to January 1, 2008."
   (b) Status as nationals, but not citizens
      (1) In general
      The following shall be added as paragraph (5) of section 308 of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1408]:
      "(5) A person born inside Atlasia and its outlying possessions of parents residing inside Atlasia and its outlying possessions, but none of whom is subject to the jurisdiction of Atlasia: Provided, that a parent who is a nonimmigrant alien with a valid nonimmigrant visa at the time of birth shall not be considered under this paragraph to be residing inside Atlasia and its outlying possessions."
      (2) Conforming amendments
         (A) Section 308(3) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1408(3)] shall be amended by replacing "; and" at the end with ";".
         (A) Section 308(4) of the Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1408(4)] shall be amended by replacing "." at the end with "; and".
   (c) Effective date
   This section shall be effective as of January 1, 2008.

§16. Repeal of exemption from from naturalization fees for aliens naturalized through certain military service
   (a) Repeal
   Effective beginning fiscal year 2008, section 3 of Pub. L. 90-633 [8 U.S.C. 1440e] shall be repealed.
   (b) Savings
   This section shall not be construed as to require payment of previously exempt fees of persons naturalized prior to fiscal year 2008.

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2007, 01:08:09 PM »

Immigration Reform Act of 2007 (post 3 of 3)

§17. Repeal of refugee-specific education assistance
   The Refugee Education Assistance Act of 1980 (Pub. L. 96-422, Oct. 10, 1980, 94 Stat. 1799 [8 U.S.C. 1522 note] shall be repealed effective beginning fiscal year 2009.

§18. Repeal of Federal restriction on local residency educational benefits
   (a) Repeal
   Effective beginning July 1, 2008, Section 505 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 [8 U.S.C. 1623] shall be repealed.
   (b) Savings
   Local governments may, if they so desire, continue to condition the provision of higher education benefits available only to residents of that local government on the beneficiary being a citizen or national of Atlasia, or an alien lawfully present in Atlasia on or after July 1, 2008.
   (c) Construction
   This section shall not be construed as requiring a local government to provide such benefits to aliens not lawfully present in Atlasia unless such government has explicitly provided such benefits before, on, or after the date of enactment of this Act.

§19. Unlawful employment of aliens reform
   Except that any reference to a specific year or date not determined in relation to the date of enactment shall be instead treated as a reference to a year or date one year later than the one currently in such text, Title III (Unlawful Employment of Aliens) of S.2611 (109th Congress), as engrossed by the U.S. Senate, shall be enacted as law.

Since what is now section 19 of this bill failed earlier as a separate Act because people objected to handling that aspect of the immigration issue by itself, I've added it to this bill, which despite what some might think, was already written up separately.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2007, 01:56:20 PM »

Okay, if the Senate unanimously passes this as it has done in the past, I think I just might prepare a pop quiz on what it actually does, because I'm almost 100% sure that no one is going to read any of this. Tongue
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2007, 11:19:27 PM »

Establishment of Opebo Day Act

1. The sixth of October is hereby designated "Opebo Day", a federal holiday.
2. All federal institutions are to be closed on this day.
3. This is in honor of Opebo's infamous "Max Hardcore" quote which was originally issued on that date in the year of 2005.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2007, 12:13:58 AM »

3. This is in honor of Opebo's infamous "Max Hardcore" quote which was originally issued on that date in the year of 2005.

If this passes, I will proudly be using my powers of regional nullification against this one.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2007, 12:47:25 AM »

If this passes, I will proudly be using my powers of regional nullification against this one.

Once again... I'm a little in the dark... "regional nullification"?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2007, 12:55:44 AM »

Once again... I'm a little in the dark... "regional nullification"?

Where a region, usually by order of the governor, goes "F**K THE POLICE, I AIN'T FOLLOWIN NO RULES" and decides that a federal law does not apply to them.

Technically it's illegal, but the Southeastern region tends not to care.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2007, 01:01:33 AM »

Please, please post comments on legislation in the Senate Protest & Analysis thread.  This thread is only for introducing legislation.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies