Is there anything for me to look forward to?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:20:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is there anything for me to look forward to?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is there anything for me to look forward to?  (Read 264 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2021, 08:42:00 PM »
« edited: February 12, 2021, 09:11:54 PM by darklordoftech »

Working a monotonous job while my co-workers reminisce about things I never experienced while COVID continues to be a thing and my parents age doesn’t seem like anything to look forward to.

I’m too austistic to drive a car, get employed, make friends, or get a four-year college degree, and my parents are too old to for anyone to want to work with them or to make use of their law degrees.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 01:17:22 AM »

Dude, who told you that you can't do those things because you're on the spectrum? I had several roommates in college who were and they're doing fine. If your parents have law degrees they should be able to help you navigate the process of higher education. Don't resign yourself to saying you can't do something if you want to do it. For your parents, have they considered doing something with low-income legal services non-profits or something of that nature? It could be a really rewarding experience.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 02:08:02 AM »

Don't resign yourself to saying you can't do something if you want to do it.

Please take the above words to heart darklordoftech. I’ve struggled a ton in the past year trying to learn my job since it’s involved subjects I’ve had very little experience with: electrical systems, working well with my hands and with tools, and complex aircraft flight controls. There are 5 new guys total in my shop (including myself) and 3 of them outshine me in almost every way. I’m still a lot better now than I was a year ago. Don’t let comparisons to others cloud your own self-improvement.

Where there’s a will there’s a way. I know it certainly doesn’t feel like that all the time. But keep a good attitude and persevere. Are there any subjects that particularly interest you? What do you enjoy doing in your down time? I don’t recommend boxing yourself into a corner where the only option is to pursue your true passion (since 1. Not all passions afford a living & 2. You can become passionate about a job or subject as you learn more and more about it than you otherwise would’ve ever thought possible in the beginning stages). But starting with your passions is easiest to focus on when it comes to self-improvement and developing the social, educational, and sometimes even professional skills to do well in the “real world” (whatever that implies).

You already have a job which is a solid start. I’m confident that you can learn to drive a car. Try to find a family friend to teach you. That’s a huge step to start with. You seem intelligent and competent based on your writing ability and your posting history. I have faith in you.

If you ever have questions about anything feel free to PM me.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 03:32:21 AM »

Where did you get that from?
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 03:35:09 AM »

You mentioned your coworkers. Even if you lost your job recently due to the pandemic and lockdowns, the fact that you had a job tells me you have the ability to do things such as learning to drive. Plenty of people have lost their jobs in this economy so that’s not a strike against you.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 03:39:52 AM »

You mentioned your coworkers. Even if you lost your job recently due to the pandemic and lockdowns, the fact that you had a job tells me you have the ability to do things such as learning to drive. Plenty of people have lost their jobs in this economy so that’s not a strike against you.
I don’t and never did have a job. The reference to co-workers was for a theoretical job.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 03:42:26 AM »

I don’t and never did have a job. The reference to co-workers was for a theoretical job.

Oh my bad. Many if not most people learn how to drive prior to ever being in the workforce. So you’re still in a strong spot.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 03:00:40 PM »

Working a monotonous job while my co-workers reminisce about things I never experienced while COVID continues to be a thing and my parents age doesn’t seem like anything to look forward to.

I’m too austistic to drive a car, get employed, make friends, or get a four-year college degree, and my parents are too old to for anyone to want to work with them or to make use of their law degrees.

Psychedelics? I don't know if the effects upon a persons psyche are exaggerated or not but if you want to break the monotony of everyday life the option is always out there.

More seriously though it's ok to bumble about aimlessly for several years not knowing what you are doing. In my case I spent several years in community college switching majors before dropping out with several half finished associates degrees and spending the next 6 months or so with nothing to distract me from my thoughts and anxiety (not fun). Afterwards I got a job at an auto parts store and since then my confidence social skill have drastically improved and everybody just assumes I am a shy person (rather than being neurodivergent or missing major parts of the modern american childhood experience) when they talk about stuff I can't relate with very well. Fortunately it's not very boring or monotonous either and I'm still learning new things almost everyday. The confidence boost is also why I started doing repairs on my own car and have a significant amount of money invested in stocks, and am now taking a serious look at day trading. That's not to say I have all the answers, and I still don't know what I'm going to do after auto parts, but I guess what I'm saying is that just taking one step forward will make everything else ahead of you seem less daunting.

Feel free to pm if you want to talk.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies