The fight to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 05:20:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The fight to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32
Author Topic: The fight to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg megathread  (Read 40221 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: October 26, 2020, 07:18:13 PM »

Congratulations to Justice Amy Coney Barrett!  Let's all pray that God will use this confirmation to end the senseless tragedy of abortion in our nation!!
You won't be feeling so happy this time next year.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #701 on: October 26, 2020, 07:18:40 PM »

Congratulations to Justice Amy Coney Barrett!  Let's all pray that God will use this confirmation to end the senseless tragedy of abortion in our nation!!

Judicial activism

No its anti stare decisis, judicial activism means legislating from the bench using streched reasoning,overturning bad precedent isn't activism.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #702 on: October 26, 2020, 07:20:25 PM »

Buckle. Up.

The next four years are gonna be so great!
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #703 on: October 26, 2020, 07:23:03 PM »

Judicial activism

No its anti stare decisis, judicial activism means legislating from the bench using streched reasoning,overturning bad precedent isn't activism.
This is RW bad faith in a nutshell “I don’t like Roe v Wade which makes it a bad ruling. So appointing a bunch of rw judges to overturn it isn’t activism because overturning a bad ruling isn’t activism and because I don’t like Roe v Wade it is by default a bad ruling”
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #704 on: October 26, 2020, 07:25:58 PM »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #705 on: October 26, 2020, 07:26:39 PM »

Judicial activism

This is RW bad faith in a nutshell “I don’t like Roe v Wade which makes it a bad ruling. So appointing a bunch of rw judges to overturn it isn’t activism because overturning a bad ruling isn’t activism and because I don’t like Roe v Wade it is by default a bad ruling”

I genuinely do like the societal effects(although not political) of Roe v Wade and I am pro choice, I just believe that Roe is a bad decision that should be overturned.

Robert Owens wasn't being activist with the FDR court when he overturned Lochner effectively during the Washington state minimum wage case. However Wickard v Filburn was an extreme streching of the commerce clause to effectively encompass all commerce.

Lochner was a bad case and so was Roe even though I partially support what they did from the "effects" they had, the judicial reasoning was garbage.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #706 on: October 26, 2020, 07:27:48 PM »

I hope you cry when Biden packs the court and guarantees abortion rights nationwide.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #707 on: October 26, 2020, 07:29:25 PM »

I hope you cry when Biden packs the court and guarantees abortion rights nationwide.

You mean like rn?

Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #708 on: October 26, 2020, 07:30:09 PM »

Barrett was confirmed 52-48, with Senator Collins voting No.

Ichabod
Kierkegaard
Rookie
Chile

« Reply #709 on: October 26, 2020, 07:32:11 PM »

Judicial activism

The idea of "bad precedent" is, itself, activism. And, it that logic, how are 5 republicans by themselves deciding the South is not racist anymore about voting issues is not judicial activism?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #710 on: October 26, 2020, 07:32:56 PM »

Good luck getting the likes of Joe Manchin to go with court packing, even if the Democrats narrowly take the Senate.  And, if you somehow do, the GOP trifecta will pack it right back in 2025.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #711 on: October 26, 2020, 07:33:23 PM »

Actions have consequences.

The action is to confirm a Supreme Court Justice in the midst of an election campaign after having refused to do the same four years prior.

The consequence is court packing.

Actions have cosequences. It is imperative that people learn and understand that.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #712 on: October 26, 2020, 07:33:45 PM »

Good luck getting the likes of Joe Manchin to go with court packing, even if the Democrats narrowly take the Senate.  And, if you somehow do, the GOP trifecta will pack it right back in 2025.

We're going to win in 2024. And 2028. Enjoy 12 years of Democratic Presidents.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #713 on: October 26, 2020, 07:33:51 PM »

Judicial activism

The idea of "bad precedent" is, itself, activism. And, it that logic, how are 5 republicans by themselves deciding the South is not racist anymore about voting issues is not judicial activism?

I don't fully know Shelby, I don't think the VRA had a time limit in it and  I think it was activism but I have to do more research.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #714 on: October 26, 2020, 07:34:12 PM »

And, if you somehow do, the GOP trifecta will pack it right back in 2025.

Good luck with that. We're going to have two new states faster than you can say President Harris.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #715 on: October 26, 2020, 07:34:34 PM »

Even Manchin was vocally opposed to ACB lmao:

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #716 on: October 26, 2020, 07:35:24 PM »

Something tells me he's sufficiently pissed off at Graham defying and breaking the rules of the Senate. Anyway, we may not even need his vote.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #717 on: October 26, 2020, 07:39:07 PM »

The fact that people like me-- staunch right-wingers who generally oppose Democratic policies-- are becoming so disgusted with your party of hypocrites and cheaters should be a warning sign that you've lost the next generation of Americans. There's nothing I can say to Democrats who want to pack the Supreme Court now; they're totally justified in doing so and that is entirely the fault of the GOP. In order to win your utterly pointless short-term victories, you've effectively ceded all legitimacy to the Democratic Party. I hope you're prepared for the havoc that the next ten years of changing culture and demographics will wreak on your conception of what America should be.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #718 on: October 26, 2020, 07:39:29 PM »

As the Constitution clearly states, "The Supreme Court shall be the final arbiter of everything and lol f-ck democracy"
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #719 on: October 26, 2020, 07:39:33 PM »

woodley park

« Reply #720 on: October 26, 2020, 07:40:08 PM »

Lets call this what it is: court packing, by the GOP.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #721 on: October 26, 2020, 07:40:42 PM »

How dare she! Who does she think she is, calling for representative government?
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #722 on: October 26, 2020, 07:40:58 PM »

I figured a quiet nomination and confirmation was best for democrats. No reason for democrats to face a backlash like they did in 2018. However, it's still painful to watch this unfold.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #723 on: October 26, 2020, 07:42:37 PM »

The fact that people like me-- staunch right-wingers who generally oppose Democratic policies-- are becoming so disgusted with your party of hypocrites and cheaters should be a warning sign that you've lost the next generation of Americans. There's nothing I can say to Democrats who want to pack the Supreme Court now; they're totally justified in doing so and that is entirely the fault of the GOP. In order to win your utterly pointless short-term victories, you've effectively ceded all legitimacy to the Democratic Party. I hope you're prepared for the havoc that the next ten years of changing culture and demographics will wreak on your conception of what America should be.

Thanks Dule!

Remember, most of us Democrats don't want to pack the courts, but we've been forced into it by the other side. We don't want to be in this situation in the first place. This is bad for our nation but you've forced our hand and there's no alternative. So enjoy reaping what you sow, Republicans.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #724 on: October 26, 2020, 07:46:21 PM »

Thanks Dule!

Remember, most of us Democrats don't want to pack the courts, but we've been forced into it by the other side. We don't want to be in this situation in the first place. This is bad for our nation but you've forced our hand and there's no alternative. So enjoy reaping what you sow, Republicans.
Same I don’t want to pack the court either by Mitch has tainted the courts with his disgusting and corrupt moves that it has become impossible to take lying down
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies