The fight to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:34:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The fight to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32
Author Topic: The fight to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg megathread  (Read 38778 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: October 19, 2020, 06:00:59 PM »
« edited: October 20, 2020, 02:08:54 AM by Nat. Sec. Council Member Dwarven Dragon »

Correction - official result 48-42
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #651 on: October 19, 2020, 06:08:41 PM »

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #652 on: October 19, 2020, 07:20:11 PM »

Thinking out loud here: McConnell's timeline for confirming Barrett by Oct. 27 depends on Dems blocking the GOP's second covid relief bill that he is bringing to the floor right before Barrett. But what if Dems don't do that?

Strategy A (don't block the covid bill until a later stage):

Oct. 22: Covid vote: Cloture on motion to proceed (LET THIS PASS)
Oct. 24: motion to proceed
Oct. 26: Cloture vote on bill (block here)
later on Oct. 26: cloture filed on Barrett
Oct. 28: Cloture vote on Barrett
Oct. 30: Final vote on Barrett

This obviously wouldn't stop McConnell. Even if Schumer is playing games with various motions, McConnell still has several days to spare here.

The even wilder strategy - let the GOP actually pass their covid bill:

Oct. 22: Covid vote: Cloture on motion to proceed
Oct. 24: motion to proceed
Oct. 26: Cloture vote on bill
Oct. 28: final vote on bill
later on Oct. 28: cloture filed on Barrett
Oct. 30: Cloture vote on Barrett
Nov. 1 (?!?) : Final vote on Barrett

This would get a little dicey for McConnell - Nov. 1 doesn't offer much lead time if there's some sort of quorum issue or if someone gets sick, and Schumer might be able to use up a day through motions and such anyways. And eventually, GOP senators up for re-election have to head home for their victory parties or concession speeches. This could conceivably delay Barrett to after the election. It would not stop her confirmation - but it would make it the first vote of the lame duck rather than the last vote before the election.

Is it worth it for dems to do this?

Yes, because the optics of confirming Barrett after a Trump defeat are absolutely terrible and would make even the most wishy-washy centrist Dems open to court-packing.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #653 on: October 19, 2020, 10:21:11 PM »

Schumers request to adjourn the Senate needed 60 votes it didn't even matter, ACB is on the Crt
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #654 on: October 19, 2020, 10:24:30 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2020, 10:28:06 PM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

I think most people don't know what the ACA tax penalty is, they didn't know it in 2010.

It reads if you are on hardship and can't pay, you don't have to pay the penalty, and people on SSA are on Medicare and don't file taxes anyways.

ACB said she will svere out tax liability from the rest of the bill which she supportd.

Even if she dismantled ACA people have Medicaid under 20K to fall back on

As far as Roe, adoptions are getting more popular than abortions and we have contraceptives including condoms and Birth control pills. It's the 21st century
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #655 on: October 19, 2020, 10:46:52 PM »

I see that the rapist fascist illegitimate President and his party are gleeful that RBG is dead. May their judges be treated with the contempt they deserve.

The Supreme Court is a reactionary anti-democratic body anyway.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #656 on: October 20, 2020, 02:06:01 AM »

Schumers request to adjourn the Senate needed 60 votes it didn't even matter, ACB is on the Crt

No it was just simple majority as it's not a debatable motion.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #657 on: October 20, 2020, 06:22:01 AM »
« Edited: October 20, 2020, 07:06:12 AM by Frank »

I think most people don't know what the ACA tax penalty is, they didn't know it in 2010.

It reads if you are on hardship and can't pay, you don't have to pay the penalty, and people on SSA are on Medicare and don't file taxes anyways.

ACB said she will svere out tax liability from the rest of the bill which she supportd.

As far as Roe, adoptions are getting more popular than abortions and we have contraceptives including condoms and Birth control pills. It's the 21st century

There would still be millions of people harmed by these rulings.

The ACA case supposedly has different legal principles than the first ruling that ACB criticized, but Roe V. Wade was a sound legal ruling and only if ACB personally opposes abortion (I.E if she legislates from the bench) could she overturn it.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #658 on: October 20, 2020, 06:48:25 AM »

Biden's unifying message is all about it. That's why Joe is going to win.

"We need to revive the spirit of bipartisanship in this country. I know that sounds bizarre in light of where we are. A spirit of being able to work with one another. When I say that, and I said that from the time I announced, I was told that maybe that was the way things used to work, Joe. You got a lot done before Joe, but you can't do that anymore. Well, I'm here to tell you and say we can and we must if we're going to get anything done.

Democracy requires consensus. I'm running as a proud Democrat, but I will cover as an American president.

There will be no blue States and red states with me. It's one America. I'll work with Democrats and Republicans. I will work for hard as hard for those who vote against me as those who voted for me. That's the job of a president. The duty to care, to care for everybody. We can disagree on policy, but you can still care."
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #659 on: October 20, 2020, 06:57:43 AM »

Nah, he is going to win because Trump is a disaster, not because people like his platitudes about bipartisanship. That only shows he is out of touch with reality. Polarization is here to stay for the foreseeable future.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #660 on: October 20, 2020, 10:03:31 AM »
« Edited: October 20, 2020, 11:32:57 AM by #proudtikitorchmarcher »

The ACA case supposedly has different legal principles than the first ruling that ACB criticized, but Roe V. Wade was a sound legal ruling and only if ACB personally opposes abortion (I.E if she legislates from the bench) could she overturn it.
Please show me where in the constitution there is a covering of abortion or even a general right to privacy?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #661 on: October 20, 2020, 10:09:35 AM »

I am going to remain optimistic that Roberts and maybe Kavanaugh would side with the liberals if it comes down to overturning Roe or the ACA. It really would be too bad to see the USA take such a gigantic leap backward
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #662 on: October 20, 2020, 12:21:16 PM »

Please show me where in the constitution there is a covering of abortion or even a general right to privacy?

We can play that sort of game forever.  Please show me where in the Constitution there is a covering of semi-automatic weapons?  The Constitution mentions 'arms' but 'arms' at that time consisted of muskets and flintlocks.  For an 'originalist' that should be all that 'arms' means.

The ruling in Roe V Wade is consistent with the concept of Judicial Review and the right to equal protection as mentioned in the 14th Amendment.

To keep playing the game: please tell me where the Constitution says that you have a right to tell another person what they can and can't do with their body?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #663 on: October 20, 2020, 01:17:38 PM »

I am going to remain optimistic that Roberts and maybe Kavanaugh would side with the liberals if it comes down to overturning Roe or the ACA.

They won't.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #664 on: October 20, 2020, 03:48:21 PM »

I am going to remain optimistic that Roberts and maybe Kavanaugh would side with the liberals if it comes down to overturning Roe or the ACA.

They won't.

You don't get it, Planned Parenthood was already affirmed 6/3, adoptions are the real necessity, condoms and birth control pills are the norm how, there is really no need for abortions nowadays

This isn't 1800 where the baby needs to be aborted
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #665 on: October 20, 2020, 05:34:26 PM »

In english, this means the motion to adjourn failed 43-52
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #666 on: October 20, 2020, 06:56:09 PM »

Nah, he is going to win because Trump is a disaster, not because people like his platitudes about bipartisanship. That only shows he is out of touch with reality. Polarization is here to stay for the foreseeable future.
I went on RCP Joe Biden favour ability and they haven't updated since June. Seems like they forgot.

Anyway Biden does have a favourable opinion  in this day and age which is fairly unusual but mostly his support is Trump hate not platitudes for bipartisanship
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #667 on: October 20, 2020, 08:30:19 PM »

Barrett Responses to Questions for the Record: https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/download/barrett-responses-to-questions-for-the-record
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #668 on: October 21, 2020, 12:49:48 AM »

Questions for the Record asked to Barrett:

Feinstein: 31
Leahy: 35
Durbin: 14
Whitehouse: 150 (?!?)
Klobuchar: 42
Coons: 49
Blumenthal: 35
Hirono: 27
Booker: 42

Cornyn: 6
Blackburn: 5

Harris did not submit any questions.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #669 on: October 21, 2020, 09:33:52 AM »
« Edited: October 21, 2020, 09:45:25 AM by Russian Bear »

https://morningconsult.com/2020/10/21/supreme-court-hearings-barrett-confirmation-polling/
51% of Voters Now Back Barrett’s Confirmation, Most Support Ever for a Trump Supreme Court Nominee
Slim majority, including 32% of Democrats and 44% of independents, supports confirming Amy Coney Barrett

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #670 on: October 21, 2020, 09:42:41 AM »

There is little doubt she'll be on the bench by Halloween. Unless there is another COVID-19 outbreak or so, this is going to happen 100%. Dems were really screwed SCOTUS in past 4 years.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #671 on: October 21, 2020, 05:47:45 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #672 on: October 21, 2020, 06:59:24 PM »

There is little doubt she'll be on the bench by Halloween. Unless there is another COVID-19 outbreak or so, this is going to happen 100%. Dems were really screwed SCOTUS in past 4 years.

It's appropriate for Halloween because nothing has ever been scarier than a 6-3 conservative majority on the Supreme Court. The only thing that would add to that horror would be four more years of Trump and the GOP continuing to have their Senate majority.

It's what we deserve though for forsaking the 2016 election. Democrats had a chance to do something about McConnell's highway robbery of Obama's appointment and the future of the court, but too many failed to see the importance of electing a Democratic President and Senate then. Maybe this will be a harsh lesson.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #673 on: October 21, 2020, 08:32:11 PM »

It's so crazy to imagine how different things might've been if RBG held on another week or two.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #674 on: October 21, 2020, 10:19:07 PM »

It's so crazy to imagine how different things might've been if RBG held on another week or two.

They'd still be having the vote before the election.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies