The fight to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 11:21:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The fight to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32
Author Topic: The fight to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg megathread  (Read 40270 times)
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: October 15, 2020, 07:40:19 PM »

The vast majority of "never Trump" Republicans only oppose Trump as a person and not his actual policies, nor the authoritarianism he desires. Let there be no doubt about that.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #626 on: October 15, 2020, 08:07:49 PM »

Romney a Yes

Romney a Hack

Romney literally during his speech announcing he will be voting to impeach Trump said he agrees with Trump on the vast majority of policy issues ,

In the last several weeks, I have received numerous calls and texts. Many demand that, in their words, “I stand with the team.” I can assure you that that thought has been very much on my mind. I support a great deal of what the President has done. I have voted with him 80% of the time. But my promise before God to apply impartial justice required that I put my personal feelings and biases aside. Were I to ignore the evidence that has been presented, and disregard what I believe my oath and the Constitution demands of me for the sake of a partisan end, it would, I fear, expose my character to history’s rebuke and the censure of my own conscience

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/05/mitt-romney-impeachment-vote-speech-transcript-110849

Hack agrees with King of Hacks on many policy issues

How is it hackish to oppose Trump while supporting his policies. I think Trump has done a great job on the issue of taxes, deregulation, judges, energy etc and I am not gonna start opposing things Id otherwise support just cause Trump is supporting them lol

Anyone who is a Republican or Republican-leaning or just opposed to the current leadership of the Democratic Party in any significant way is a "hack."
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #627 on: October 15, 2020, 08:30:30 PM »

Romney a Yes
#welcomegoodbyetotheresistance
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #628 on: October 15, 2020, 09:36:52 PM »

Romney a Yes

Romney a Hack

Romney literally during his speech announcing he will be voting to impeach Trump said he agrees with Trump on the vast majority of policy issues ,

In the last several weeks, I have received numerous calls and texts. Many demand that, in their words, “I stand with the team.” I can assure you that that thought has been very much on my mind. I support a great deal of what the President has done. I have voted with him 80% of the time. But my promise before God to apply impartial justice required that I put my personal feelings and biases aside. Were I to ignore the evidence that has been presented, and disregard what I believe my oath and the Constitution demands of me for the sake of a partisan end, it would, I fear, expose my character to history’s rebuke and the censure of my own conscience

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/05/mitt-romney-impeachment-vote-speech-transcript-110849

How is it hackish to oppose Trump while supporting his policies. I think Trump has done a great job on the issue of taxes, deregulation, judges, energy etc and I am not gonna start opposing things Id otherwise support just cause Trump is supporting them lol

I was referring to Romney and Trump, not you. Saying that Romney isn't a hack because he agrees with Trump a lot, who is the ultimate hack, isn't much of a defense.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #629 on: October 15, 2020, 10:23:37 PM »

Romney a Yes

Romney a Hack

I was referring to Romney and Trump, not you. Saying that Romney isn't a hack because he agrees with Trump a lot, who is the ultimate hack, isn't much of a defense.

Romney isn’t a hack
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #630 on: October 15, 2020, 10:28:51 PM »

Romney a Yes

Romney a Hack

Trump does not seem to be the "ultimate hack" in any special way. 1. being hackish isn't inherently bad, 2. in this era of polarization it's dubious to use the term 'ultimate hack' to refer to pretty much any politician, and 3. hackishness is quite common in these times.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #631 on: October 15, 2020, 10:30:10 PM »

Well, Mitt managed to be a #resistance hero for 8 months.

He didn't grovel well enough to become Trump's Secretary of State.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #632 on: October 15, 2020, 11:35:13 PM »

Feinstein thanking Lindsey Graham for ramming ACB through committee is a perfect illustration of what the Senate has become. Republicans bash Democrats over the head repeatedly and Democrats search for some semblance of the old days of precedent and compromise in it.

Strip her of her committee assignments. This is a bigger betrayal than Lieberman and the public option.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #633 on: October 16, 2020, 01:20:23 AM »
« Edited: October 16, 2020, 01:23:45 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Feinstein has a terrible record from becoming mayor after her political ally assassinates the previous mayor plus one of the first openly LGBT politicians. Then she fought hard against domestic partnership and raised a confederate flag. She's the sole Senate Democrat still around to have voted for the Bush tax cuts. Her husband made a killing wartime profiting after her vote for the Iraq war. She voted to fast track TPP and supported SOPA. Time and time again, she has been on the wrong side of history.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #634 on: October 16, 2020, 08:19:12 AM »

history will record that two old senate colleagues hugging each other is the moment fascism descended on America.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #635 on: October 16, 2020, 09:21:31 AM »

In fairness to Feinstein (never thought I'd be defending such an impressively worthless conservadem, but here we are), it might be just her senility doing that. She's 87, ffs. Of course, that raises the question of why the hell is she still in the Senate.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #636 on: October 16, 2020, 12:22:17 PM »

P R I M A R Y F E I N S T E I N
R
I
M
A
R
Y
F
E
I
N
S
T
E
I
N

She'll be 91 years old when she's next up for re-election so probably not needed.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #637 on: October 16, 2020, 12:55:22 PM »

Romney isn't a "hack" exactly, but he's a right-winger whose vote to convict Trump had almost nothing to do with policy, a bit to do with moral principle, and a lot to do with personal hostility. Nobody who's followed the totality of his career, especially his openly Thatcherite 2012 campaign, would believe otherwise.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #638 on: October 16, 2020, 01:57:55 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2020, 02:02:20 PM by Scott🕷️ »

Romney isn't a "hack" exactly, but he's a right-winger whose vote to convict Trump had almost nothing to do with policy, a bit to do with moral principle, and a lot to do with personal hostility. Nobody who's followed the totality of his career, especially his openly Thatcherite 2012 campaign, would believe otherwise.

I naively thought that maybe Romney would grow a heart and realize the implications of a Roe/Casey repeal or, even worse, the removal of protections for people with pre-existing conditions.

Nope. He's still an asshole. One good vote based on personal animosity doesn't change that.

Nor does doing the really hard thing and simply saying "Black lives matter".
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #639 on: October 16, 2020, 02:44:35 PM »

Feinstein has a terrible record from becoming mayor after her political ally assassinates the previous mayor plus one of the first openly LGBT politicians. Then she fought hard against domestic partnership and raised a confederate flag. She's the sole Senate Democrat still around to have voted for the Bush tax cuts. Her husband made a killing wartime profiting after her vote for the Iraq war. She voted to fast track TPP and supported SOPA. Time and time again, she has been on the wrong side of history.

TPP is good, but sure go on...
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #640 on: October 16, 2020, 02:48:03 PM »

Impeachment has nothing to do with policy and he literally said during his impeachment vote that he agrees with Trump on over 80% of his policies so his vote has nothing to do with that.

I dont see whats wrong with that at all really, and its silly that people on here think that people who vote with Trump over 80% of the time cant claim to oppose him lol. If I were in the Senate my Trumpscore would probably be over 85% as well
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #641 on: October 16, 2020, 02:54:42 PM »

Suddenly it makes sense why Trump's DoJ never investigated Feinstein for insider trading.

Sure, she's demonized by the gun lobby, but why would the administration drive out one of its useful idiots?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #642 on: October 16, 2020, 03:41:53 PM »

It's not like people should be voting for impeachments based on policy differences anyway.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #643 on: October 16, 2020, 03:43:51 PM »

Thinking out loud here: McConnell's timeline for confirming Barrett by Oct. 27 depends on Dems blocking the GOP's second covid relief bill that he is bringing to the floor right before Barrett. But what if Dems don't do that?

Strategy A (don't block the covid bill until a later stage):

Oct. 22: Covid vote: Cloture on motion to proceed (LET THIS PASS)
Oct. 24: motion to proceed
Oct. 26: Cloture vote on bill (block here)
later on Oct. 26: cloture filed on Barrett
Oct. 28: Cloture vote on Barrett
Oct. 30: Final vote on Barrett

This obviously wouldn't stop McConnell. Even if Schumer is playing games with various motions, McConnell still has several days to spare here.

The even wilder strategy - let the GOP actually pass their covid bill:

Oct. 22: Covid vote: Cloture on motion to proceed
Oct. 24: motion to proceed
Oct. 26: Cloture vote on bill
Oct. 28: final vote on bill
later on Oct. 28: cloture filed on Barrett
Oct. 30: Cloture vote on Barrett
Nov. 1 (?!?) : Final vote on Barrett

This would get a little dicey for McConnell - Nov. 1 doesn't offer much lead time if there's some sort of quorum issue or if someone gets sick, and Schumer might be able to use up a day through motions and such anyways. And eventually, GOP senators up for re-election have to head home for their victory parties or concession speeches. This could conceivably delay Barrett to after the election. It would not stop her confirmation - but it would make it the first vote of the lame duck rather than the last vote before the election.

Is it worth it for dems to do this?

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #644 on: October 16, 2020, 04:52:05 PM »

You mean people heaping praise on Romney for voting for *one* of the articles (when it was clear his vote wouldn't be decisive, no less) might have been jumping the gun in thinking he was suddenly an ally? Say it ain't so!
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #645 on: October 16, 2020, 05:06:01 PM »

Logically, if you vote to remove the President, but they remain, shouldn't you then oppose 100% of their agenda going forward?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #646 on: October 16, 2020, 05:31:28 PM »

You mean people heaping praise on Romney for voting for *one* of the articles (when it was clear his vote wouldn't be decisive, no less) might have been jumping the gun in thinking he was suddenly an ally? Say it ain't so!

It's more like grading on a curve as far as the current Republican Party goes.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #647 on: October 16, 2020, 05:48:35 PM »

Logically, if you vote to remove the President, but they remain, shouldn't you then oppose 100% of their agenda going forward?

I mean you could take on that tactic, but no one in the Senate is doing that - every dem voted for multiple Trump District Judges in September. The fact that the president should be removed does not necessarily equal all of his policies being bad [depending on your viewpoint] if you consider the policies on the merits.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #648 on: October 16, 2020, 08:42:06 PM »

Most politicians in both parties deserve an F.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #649 on: October 16, 2020, 11:44:06 PM »

Most politicians in both parties deserve an F.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies