Does RBG's death help or hurt Senate Republicans?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:49:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Does RBG's death help or hurt Senate Republicans?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: This question may be in poor taste, but let's admit it: You're all thinking it.
Help

Hurt

Neither

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 108

Author Topic: Does RBG's death help or hurt Senate Republicans?  (Read 4375 times)
Pollster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2020, 08:25:21 PM »

Remember when a Supreme Court confirmation battle energized the GOP base in 2018 and Democrats still gained 40 House seats, overperformed in countless others, and overperformed Trump by double digits in multiple Senate races in states that he won by landslide margins?

Good times
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2020, 09:22:15 PM »

Helps:

Tillis
Ernst
Collins (If she votes no or announces no support)
Tuberville
Daines
Cornyn
Perdue
McSalley

Hurts:
James
Lewis
Collins (if she votes yes)
Graham
Gardner (no matter how he votes)

JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2020, 09:23:57 PM »

The fact people think this helps them says everything wrong about political thought on this forum.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2020, 09:25:10 PM »

The fact people think this helps them says everything wrong about political thought on this forum.

What's your counterargument? I'm not saying it will help them, but it gives some like Collins a CHANCE to improve their standing, but also make them even more DOA. Giving the underdog a chance to improve their standing is a net positive for the underdog since at least they have a new opportunity.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2020, 09:27:32 PM »

Helps:

Tillis
Ernst
Tuberville
Daines
Cornyn
Perdue
McSalley

Hurts:
James
Lewis
Graham

How exactly does it hurt Graham..?

His entire issue at the moment, is that he's underperforming Trump in South Carolina by 5-6 points..

Voting yes on a supreme court nomination, would go someway to solidifying the base behind him..
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2020, 09:28:46 PM »

Helps:

Tillis
Ernst
Tuberville
Daines
Cornyn
Perdue
McSalley

Hurts:
James
Lewis
Graham

How exactly does it hurt Graham..?

His entire issue at the moment, is that he's underperforming Trump in South Carolina by 5-6 points..

Voting yes on a supreme court nomination, would go someway to solidifying the base behind him..

Yeah this almost certainly helps Graham purely because of partisanship.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2020, 09:30:33 PM »

I think this increases enthusiasm on both sides so no difference.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2020, 09:36:07 PM »

Graham has said previously that he would not allow a vote on a nominee in the last year of Trump's term. even stating so after McConnell first proposed the idea of doing away with the 2016 precedent.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2020-09-18/lindsey-graham-in-2018-senate-wont-vote-on-scotus-pick-in-last-year-of-trump-term

If he sticks with that that will hurt him with his base, who might go to a third party.

If he tries to confirm, it feeds into the Democratic talking point that he is a trump sycophant with no backbone. Also as judiciary chairman he will be center stage to any moves to rush through the nominee. 
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2020, 09:41:14 PM »

Why would this help them??? Were conservatives not already supercharged? Are polls not showing +90% certainty on both sides?

Atlas is full of morons

The rational side of my brain agrees with this. I'll admit that the "gut feeling" side of my brain made me have a mental heart attack when I saw the headline, but let's keep this in perspective. The percentages of undecideds in polls were already low before this happened, and I'd say it actually helps Democrats in Colorado, Arizona, and Maine. The states where it hurts Democrats significantly, such as Iowa and Kansas, were never close to Democrats' path to 50 Senate seats, so while it certainly helps some Senate Republicans, the overall race for the Senate is roughly the same as before. Biden, Gideon, and Cunningham winning is all Democrats need to retake the Senate, and the probability of this event is roughly unchanged.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2020, 09:51:00 PM »

Graham has said previously that he would not allow a vote on a nominee in the last year of Trump's term. even stating so after McConnell first proposed the idea of doing away with the 2016 precedent.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2020-09-18/lindsey-graham-in-2018-senate-wont-vote-on-scotus-pick-in-last-year-of-trump-term

If he sticks with that that will hurt him with his base, who might go to a third party.

If he tries to confirm, it feeds into the Democratic talking point that he is a trump sycophant with no backbone. Also as judiciary chairman he will be center stage to any moves to rush through the nominee. 
So he either confirms, and gets re-elected.. but in the meantime will be called a Trump sycophant by Dems (oh the horror lol).

Or he refuses, and loses re-election.

Hmm, I wonder which path he'll choose.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2020, 09:51:59 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2020, 10:21:42 PM by Keep Calm and Vote Democratic »

Sometimes the stupidity of "grassroots" voters/donors makes me want to throw my laptop across the room.

Amy McGrath is going to be sipping daiquiris on a beach somewhere with all the money she's raised for her absolutely pointless sacrificial lamb campaign.

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2020, 10:16:39 PM »

There are only four possible no votes - Murkowski, Romney, Collins and Grassley.

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2020, 11:50:32 PM »

Hurts: Susan Collins, Martha McSally, Cory Gardener

Helps: Every other Republican
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2020, 12:42:51 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2020, 12:52:53 AM by Monstro »

Anyone who says this helps the GOP because it coalesces evangelicals around Trump is a moron who just wants to say "Told you so" if Trump wins.

If the Senate votes on a nominee after the election: Both sides intensify turnout, but no difference or a wash

If the Senate takes up a nominee vote by November 1: Juiced up turnout among Democrats

If the Senate confirms a nominee by November 1: Juiced up turnout among Democrats + Republicans squandering the one incentive they could turn out for = Huh
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2020, 01:32:41 AM »

This will immensily help Collins, she gets to play moderate (just like Manchin in 18') and Trump's nominee still gets voted in because of the extra GOP votes.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2020, 02:15:47 AM »

It probably help Republicans in red states (i.e. Ernst) while hurt Republicans in blue states (i.e. Collins)
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2020, 02:28:37 AM »

Helps: Ernst, Graham, Loeffler, Marshall, Tillis
Helps somewhat: Collins if she votes no, Cornyn, McSally, Perdue
Hurts somewhat: James, Gardner, Lewis
Hurts: Collins if she votes yes, Graham if he votes no
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2020, 02:58:02 AM »

You know what would really help Republicans? Stemming the bleeding at the suburbs, especially among educated women. Now explain to me how ramming through an anti-choice SCOTUS nominee will help them with that.

And please, don't start this enthusiasm BS. Weren't Republicans supposedly much more enthusiastic voting for Trump than Democrats voting for "Sleepy" Joe? Now they suddenly need this jolt to get to the polls?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2020, 03:40:27 AM »

It will hurt Republicans. People keep forgetting how Donald Trump has this incredible ability to mismanage everything, even those topics were he initially had an upper hand.

IMO, a big majority of Americans believe that a SC vacancy shouldn't be filled before the election and Republicans will try hard to do it against the will of the people. Gardner, Collins, McSally and Tillis are DOA if that happens. Cornyn, Perdue, Loeffler/Collins and even Ernst may lose because of that. I only see this helping Republicans in deep red states (so maybe MT, KS, SC and AK are out of the game now).
It's not just that you are a crook senator
MelihV
Rookie
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.04

P P P
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2020, 04:54:49 AM »

It is not gonna help Collins whatsoever because people know her intentions now.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2020, 05:26:09 AM »

Yeah people fundamentally misunderstand what happened in 2018; Dems didn't lose senate seats because "liberal supreme court justices bad conservative ones good", they lost because of me-too backlash from certain segments of the population and because most of the senators who lost were already unfavored by the red shifting of the states they represented. I'd wait until we have polling before declaring that this hurts any particular candidates.
walleye26

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2020, 06:57:51 AM »

I think it hurts them because in 2016, all the Republicans stole Garland’s seat and kept spouting this BS about “wait for the next President.” The GOP pushing it through now will be hypocritical and will be seen as a blatant power grab, especially among educated suburban voters.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2020, 08:52:00 AM »

It probably help Republicans in red states (i.e. Ernst) while hurt Republicans in blue states (i.e. Collins)

Iowa was a swing state as recently as 2012; I don't think it's totally gone now. It likely helps Daines and Marshall, though.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2020, 09:21:30 AM »

I think this increases enthusiasm on both sides so no difference.

Wouldn't that hurt Democrats since most competative races are in Republican leaning states?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2020, 09:29:23 AM »

The GOP is mad that MSN whom inflates Biden polls dont cover Ukraine Hunter like they did with the impeachment trial. Collins and Murkowski are gonna vote no on any Trump nominees and Rs are gonna confirm a Conservative Justice before Trump term ends in Jan 51/49, they have the votes
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies