Is CA-GOV 2021 Biden's MA-SEN 2010/AL-SEN 2017?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:31:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is CA-GOV 2021 Biden's MA-SEN 2010/AL-SEN 2017?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Is CA-GOV 2021 Biden's MA-SEN 2010/AL-SEN 2017?  (Read 870 times)
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2021, 09:39:52 AM »

My guess is yes.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 09:45:55 AM »

Do you think there will be a republican governor in California?
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 10:52:26 AM »
« Edited: August 22, 2021, 12:11:15 PM by MT Treasurer »

I really don’t think Newsom is going to get recalled when all is said and done — safe to bet on partisanship/recent trends/demographic realities winning out before relying too much on mixed polling with a large number of D 'undecideds' or recall supporters. Sticking with my prediction of No/Newsom +9 (even if Yes wins on #1, #2 will be uphill for the GOP if there’s a last-minute consolidation effort around the most viable D replacement candidate, and it’s not like the GOP field isn’t splintered either).
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 12:25:01 PM »

If it succeeds, still no.

This is a state race, as opposed to a federal one. So partisanship is somewhat less important and it's easier to make the race a referendum on Newsom rather than bringing in national leaders.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 06:19:22 PM »

I get your point but if newsom is recalled it will probably have more to do with how democrats are running california specifically rather than running the country more broadly
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 06:23:28 PM »

Didn't we have a variation this thread already? Anyway, I say no. It's a literal referendum on Newsom, almost nothing to do with Biden.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 06:37:52 PM »

I’d like OP to state something that’s happened in the past year that isn’t evidence that Democrats (or all of us) are doomed.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 08:01:40 AM »

Even if Newsom is recalled, I think it will certainly come as less of a shock to Democrats than 2010 was.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 03:30:08 PM »

Not really. Even in this climate, I think there's a partisan difference between federal and statewide elections (see Governors Edwards, Beshear, Scott, Baker, Hogan, Kelly).

If Feinstein resigned in poor health, and was replaced by Senator Larry Elder or Richard Grenell, then we'd be talking.

It would still be an awful portent for Dems in 2022 though.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 11:33:34 PM »

Shocked.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 11:36:23 PM »

Shocking.

It must be exhausting being so emotionally defeatist about politics on a daily basis.
Politics Fan

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 11:48:14 PM »

I actually think CA-Gov is probably more analogous to the recall election in Wisconsin where you had a polarizing gov that was reviled by the other party. Ultimately despite some close polls Walker won by 7% and the Republican Party lost the presidency later the year while losing seats in both the house and senate. I could very easily see Newsom win by 7 to 10 points while Democrats lose both houses of Congress next year and a handful of Governor mansions. Heck I could also see republicans still wining in Virginia after losing in CA by 9%. That’s how meaningless the race is to me. The most telling part is how turnout is with both parties.
Politics Fan

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2021, 11:53:41 PM »

I really don’t think Newsom is going to get recalled when all is said and done — safe to bet on partisanship/recent trends/demographic realities winning out before relying too much on mixed polling with a large number of D 'undecideds' or recall supporters. Sticking with my prediction of No/Newsom +9 (even if Yes wins on #1, #2 will be uphill for the GOP if there’s a last-minute consolidation effort around the most viable D replacement candidate, and it’s not like the GOP field isn’t splintered either).
I can’t imagine most Democrats will really bother to fill out the second part of the ballot but yeah I agree Democrats will probably outperform there current polling as it becomes more of a binary question of do you want a Republican as your Gov. I also don’t think it really helps the Republican parties chances to have a rather conservative candidate be one of their front runners. Not saying they win if Faulkner is the likely alternative but it’s prob a bit closer like 52-48 versus 54-46 to 55-45.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies