Pacifican Statehood Act of 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:00:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pacifican Statehood Act of 2006
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Pacifican Statehood Act of 2006  (Read 10167 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2006, 01:42:08 PM »

All I wonder is that had it been signed into Law in the first instance would the events in Guam have taken place?

That's entirely irrelevant.

Our statehood policies should not be dictated by the wants of violent protesters and boycott organizers in Guam.

I'm not saying that we should be dictated too. I'm saying might this have been averted had the original Bill came into Law. Yes or No, maybe or maybe not. Is Guam a situation that could have been reasonably averted? In this context, my comments are indeed relevant

Anyway, I’ve been giving another idea some thought. In the event of this Bill failing or being withdrawn, I've drafted an alternative Bill, which I may introduce once order has been restored in Guam and this is it:

Expansion of Citizenship and Full Federal Voting Rights, and Senate Representative, to Federal Territories Bill

Section 1: Citizenship

1. This Act, hereby, grants full Atlasian citizenship to the people of the Territory of American Samoa and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

Section 2: Voting Rights

1. This Act, hereby, extends full presidential election voting rights to all Atlasian citizens in the Territory of Guam, the Virgin Islands, the Territory of American Samoa and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

Section 3: Senate Representation

1. This Act, hereby, extends Senate Representation to:

a. The Territory of Guam, the Territory of American Samoa and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, whereby:

- For Class A (Regional) Senate elections, they will have the right to vote in the Pacific Regional election; and, whereby, the Pacific Regional senator will be their representative.
- For Class B (District) Senate elections, they will have the right to vote in the appropriate District election; and, whereby, the appropriate District senator will be their representative [for the purposes of the District Senate election, they will be within the same district as the state of Hawaii].

b. The Virgin Islands

- For Class A (Regional) Senate elections, they will have the right to vote in the Southeast Regional election; and, whereby, the Southeast Regional senator will be their representative.
- For Class B (District) Senate elections, they will have the right to vote in the appropriate District election; and, whereby, the appropriate District senator will be their representative [for the purposes of the District Senate election, they will be within the same district as the state of Puerto Rico].

Section 4: Effect of the Act

1.   This Act will come into effect on the 1st June 2006.

Of course, I’d also like to know the federal tax status because as to whether I decide to pursue this depends on whether those who inhabit Guam, American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands and the Virgin Islands paying federal taxes because I don't see why there should be  representation without taxation

Nevertheless, I seek some opinion from the President and fellow senators on this suggestion. And, at this stage, that's all it is Smiley

'Hawk'
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2006, 04:09:19 PM »

I stand opposed to such an effort...again. I urge Senator MasterJedi to focus on another issue. Getting bogged down in another statehood debate so soon after the last one ended with the measure failing is annoying.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2006, 02:39:18 AM »

I stand opposed to such an effort...again. I urge Senator MasterJedi to focus on another issue. Getting bogged down in another statehood debate so soon after the last one ended with the measure failing is annoying.

No thoughts on my suggestion which stops short of statehood, Senator

'Hawk'
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2006, 09:44:09 AM »

'Hawk'

I will respectfully say that I have had enough of the obsession with territorial affairs. I'm especially opposed to giving Senate seats to these territories. Only recognized states should be allowed representation in this government.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2006, 11:40:18 AM »

'Hawk'

I will respectfully say that I have had enough of the obsession with territorial affairs. I'm especially opposed to giving Senate seats to these territories. Only recognized states should be allowed representation in this government.

I just don't like the notion of having a two-tier class of 'citizen': one for the states and one for the territories. Perhaps, if we were all equal when it comes to citizenship and suffrage thebe problems we are experiencing now might be avoidable

I urge that this Bill be withdrawn for the time being, it's unlikely that it will pass and it's a dead cert to be vetoed.

I'll consider introducing my sugegstion re-the federal territories a few months down the line. But for now, it's officially on the back burner Wink; though if any one else has any thoughts on it, I'd he happy to hear from them. Because if it's a non-starter, I don't see any point in revisiting it at all

'Hawk'
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2006, 10:40:10 AM »

I urge my senators, Keystone Phil and Earl, to vote no.

^I can do that here right?

If the people of of Pacifica want this, I don't see why I should have my nay vote get in their way.

I would agree that popular sovereignty is a good notion, but this is a special case.  Firstly,  they are far too far apart to be one state.  It would be ridiculous to think of how it could be governed as a state or even within the Pacific region, which would be extended by thousands of miles if Pacifica was added.  Also, the state would be too small to be added.  I also believe Wyoming shouldn't have been added, but certainly not the couple hundred thousand living on these islands.

I understand your concerns, but I believe the people of Pacifica should weigh those concerns themselves and decide in the form of a referendum rather than have some Senator from the mainland decide for them Smiley

I believe the Senate should be weighing the concerns of Atlasia as a whole. which we cannot expect the Pacifica territories to do.  I would at least hope the Pacific senator would vote nay seeing as it would be disastrous and expensive for his region.

While I support popular sovereignty, given current events Atlasian Samoa ( Wink ) really shouldn't be included with the rest of the region. I am not opposed to a new state, but let's do it right. Smiley

And to the Hawk: your Bill would extend voting rights in Federal elections to these areas without making them a state, right?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2006, 11:26:51 AM »

If the people of of Pacifica want this, I don't see why I should have my nay vote get in their way.

I would agree that popular sovereignty is a good notion, but this is a special case.  Firstly,  they are far too far apart to be one state.  It would be ridiculous to think of how it could be governed as a state or even within the Pacific region, which would be extended by thousands of miles if Pacifica was added.  Also, the state would be too small to be added.  I also believe Wyoming shouldn't have been added, but certainly not the couple hundred thousand living on these islands.

I understand your concerns, but I believe the people of Pacifica should weigh those concerns themselves and decide in the form of a referendum rather than have some Senator from the mainland decide for them Smiley

I believe the Senate should be weighing the concerns of Atlasia as a whole. which we cannot expect the Pacifica territories to do.  I would at least hope the Pacific senator would vote nay seeing as it would be disastrous and expensive for his region.

While I support popular sovereignty, given current events Atlasian Samoa ( Wink ) really shouldn't be included with the rest of the region. I am not opposed to a new state, but let's do it right. Smiley

And to the Hawk: your Bill would extend voting rights in Federal elections to these areas without making them a state, right?

That is what my Bill would consider but it depends on the federal tax status of federal territories because if they don't pay any, I don't see why they should have Senate representation

It's something the Senate could look at but I don't see MasterJedi's Bill (as much as I support it) becoming Law given the President's intention to veto. So once again I urge that this Bill be withdrawn given the situation in Guam

I see my Bill should I, formally, introduce it as a compromise, which stops short of statehood for the time being

'Hawk'
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2006, 11:49:10 AM »

That is what my Bill would consider but it depends on the federal tax status of federal territories because if they don't pay any, I don't see why they should have Senate representation

It's something the Senate could look at but I don't see MasterJedi's Bill (as much as I support it) becoming Law given the President's intention to veto. So once again I urge that this Bill be withdrawn given the situation in Guam

I see my Bill should I, formally, introduce it as a compromise, which stops short of statehood for the time being

'Hawk'

I thank the Honorable Senator Hawk for his clarifying comments. Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2006, 04:38:53 PM »

All these crazy territory bills are silly, and not in the good way either.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2006, 05:07:51 PM »

All these crazy territory bills are silly, and not in the good way either.

Indeed.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2006, 10:25:38 AM »

This is re-introduced.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2006, 12:14:28 PM »

I hereby open up the final vote on this bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

I. After a majority of vote by the citizens of Guam, Atlasian Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands voting in the affirmative in a referendum administrated five days after the passage of this act by the territory governments of the commonwealths of Guam, Atlasian Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands are hereby entered in the Union of Atlasia as a new state of Pacifica.
II. Pacifica shall become a state in the Pacific Region.
III. Pacifica shall be assigned to District 5 until the next round of redistricting when commensurate with the Constitution it shall be liable to be moved to another District.
IV. The state of Pacifica shall be given full rights under whichever region/district it’s placed into and be under full jurisdiction of the Atlasian Constitution.
V. Section 2 of the Miscellany Act shall be amended, following a majority of the citizens of Guam, Atlasian Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands voting in the affirmative to grant Pacifica statehood to contain a clause 6, the text of which shall be as follows: “Pacifica is contiguous to Alaska”, a clause 7, the text of which shall be as follows: “Pacifica is be contiguous to Hawaii”, and a clause 8, the text of which shall be as follows: “Pacifica is contiguous to California”.
VI. Baker Island, Howland Island, Jarvis Island, Johnston Atoll, Kingman Reef and Wake Island shall be part of the state of Pacifica.
VII: Palmyra Atoll and Midway Island shall become part of the state of Hawaii.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2006, 12:14:54 PM »

Aye
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2006, 12:46:34 PM »

I favor statehood for Pacifica and voted in favor of this Bill first time around; furthermore, I, intially, voiced my support for it when it was reintroduced by the esteemed Senator to point that I felt compelled to criticising the President for vetoing the Bill first time around and for not signing it into Law

However, on reflection, I don't think now is the time given the events in Guam, which is when I suggested that this Bill be withdrawn. Therefore, I floated a compromise, which would extend full voting rights to the people of Guam, American Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands but stopped short of statehood. Nevertheless, the Bill has come to its final vote

Consequently, despite initially voicing my support, I'm minded to oppose it. However, for me to oppose it would be a betrayal of my convictions since I still believe that statehood for Pacifica is the right course of action

Therefore, regretably, I have no choice but to abstain on this Bill but should it pass (i.e. it is indeed the will of the Senate) then I urge the President to consider signing it into Law

'Hawk'
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2006, 01:22:23 PM »

Nope
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2006, 01:25:52 PM »

Nay.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2006, 07:23:33 PM »

Nay
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2006, 07:55:01 PM »

NAY for great justice.
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2006, 09:15:22 PM »

Abstain.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2006, 05:42:38 AM »

Aye
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2006, 11:59:16 AM »

Nay
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2006, 03:56:26 PM »

This bill has enough votes to fail. Senators now have 24 hours to change their votes.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2006, 11:27:13 AM »

Abstain for the record, for the same reasons Hawk gave.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2006, 04:08:45 PM »

With 2 Ayes, 5 Nays and 3 Abstentions this bill has failed.

I great tragedy has befallen Atlasia today. The Senate and Ebowed has done wrong.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2006, 04:30:45 PM »

I great tragedy has befallen Atlasia today.

I agree, it is tragic that a bill to lump American Samoa in with Guam as a single state got any votes at all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies