Opinion of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:54:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban?
Freedom Ban (D)

Freedom Ban (R)

Freedom Ban (O/I)

Horrible Ban (D)

Horrible Ban (R)

Horrible Ban (O/I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Opinion of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban  (Read 3133 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2020, 03:50:53 AM »

Why do gun control all American debates always loop back to abortion?

Fixed.
It's just sick.

Half of the people in this country are obsessed with thinking of themselves as righteous defenders of the unborn. The other half are obsessed with thinking of themselves as righteous defenders of "marginalized groups."
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2020, 03:57:29 AM »

Fixed.
It's just sick.

Half of the people in this country are obsessed with thinking of themselves as righteous defenders of the unborn. The other half are obsessed with thinking of themselves as righteous defenders of "marginalized groups."

What if I am obsessed with thinking of myself as a righteous defender of both?

(just kidding - in part)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2020, 09:26:46 AM »

Even if you do not consider fetuses human beings, they are still living organisms, and abortion still inherently involves killing them. Abortion is an act of killing whether you recognize the humanity of an unborn child or not. Meanwhile, merely owning a gun does not constitute an act of killing under any circumstances. It's not hypocritical to think gun ownership should be legal while abortion should not be legal. Period.
Strongly disagree with you on the morality of abortion but yeah, there's no correlation here that would make it hypocritical to be anti abortion and anti gun control. One of those things is an action, they're not the same.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2020, 10:02:20 AM »
« Edited: September 23, 2020, 11:19:01 AM by Frank »

Even if you do not consider fetuses human beings, they are still living organisms, and abortion still inherently involves killing them. Abortion is an act of killing whether you recognize the humanity of an unborn child or not. Meanwhile, merely owning a gun does not constitute an act of killing under any circumstances. It's not hypocritical to think gun ownership should be legal while abortion should not be legal. Period.
Strongly disagree with you on the morality of abortion but yeah, there's no correlation here that would make it hypocritical to be anti abortion and anti gun control. One of those things is an action, they're not the same.

By that logic, it should be legal to own anything, since no thing is an action.

Great, can Trump stop trying to ban TikTok now?

"Donald Trump will have to pry TikTok from my cold, dead hands"  has a nice ring to it.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2020, 02:22:29 PM »

"Donald Trump will have to pry TikTok from my cold, dead hands"  has a nice ring to it.

Traditionally when you make this sort of argument you want your example to be something absurd, to make the point that following your opponents logic would lead to a ridiculous conclusion. For instance, "By your logic, it should be legal to anything, so it should be legal to own my own nuclear arsenal." It doesn't do much for you to make your example something common sense that everyone would agree with. "Oh so you think we shouldn't ban Tik Tok?" No, I don't think that we should bad Tik Tok because that would be an insane and stupid thing to do. "Ah so if we follow logic we'll come to a place everyone can agree on!" Great?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2020, 10:37:08 PM »

Fixed.
It's just sick.

"So many people are pro-life this, pro-choice that, and I JUST WANNA GRILL."
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2020, 11:50:08 PM »

Less than 1% of gun deaths are a result of mass shootings, moreover most mass shootings are done with handguns, not assault weapons.

At most, all that study might show is that the societal attitudes that enable an assault weapons ban to be enacted into law lead to fewer mass shootings.

The trends have been going in the other direction and mass shootings with assault rifles are far deadlier than those with handguns.

https://www.axios.com/deadliest-mass-shootings-common-4211bafd-da85-41d4-b3b2-b51ff61e7c86.html

You are correct that the number of people killed with 'military style assault weapons' is not large (though the numbers have been going up.) But, like anything else, it's a question of costs versus benefits.

If you want to argue against the banning of 'military style assault weapons' fine, but, despite the false claims regarding the Second Amendment, unless the Trump/Republican Supreme court overrules the precedent, this is a decision to be made by voters and legislators, and not the courts.

Even if the numbers dying from mass shootings were to quintuple, it would still be a minor fraction of gun deaths.  Rather than getting hung up on "assault weapons" and making them seem glamorous to gun fetishists, we should be focusing upon how to lower all gun deaths.

Gun deaths, yes.  But about 2/3 of gun deaths are suicides.

Even if you exclude suicides, deaths from mass shootings would still be just a small fraction of gun deaths. Licensing of.both guns and shooters, as well as required training in gun safety and handling, should reduce gun deaths, including those from "assault weapons" .
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2020, 12:11:14 AM »

"Donald Trump will have to pry TikTok from my cold, dead hands"  has a nice ring to it.

Traditionally when you make this sort of argument you want your example to be something absurd, to make the point that following your opponents logic would lead to a ridiculous conclusion. For instance, "By your logic, it should be legal to anything, so it should be legal to own my own nuclear arsenal." It doesn't do much for you to make your example something common sense that everyone would agree with. "Oh so you think we shouldn't ban Tik Tok?" No, I don't think that we should bad Tik Tok because that would be an insane and stupid thing to do. "Ah so if we follow logic we'll come to a place everyone can agree on!" Great?

Everyone?  Not Donald Trump.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2020, 12:31:53 AM »

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" literally has no basis in the evidence.

Some of these graphs are a bit old, but the central finding has not changed.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2020, 10:27:41 AM »

All illicit drugs should be legal as well.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2020, 11:38:10 AM »

And no more blocking goods from other nations either, like Cuban rum and cigars.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2020, 07:08:02 PM »

Freedom ban and it should be restored (sane, normal, not bought and paid for by the NRA and other gun lobby groups)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2020, 07:12:23 PM »

Freedom ban and it should be restored (sane, normal, not bought and paid for by the NRA and other gun lobby groups)
Yes the NRA buys all of us who oppose this bill. I'm still waiting for my check.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2020, 07:30:16 PM »

"Donald Trump will have to pry TikTok from my cold, dead hands"  has a nice ring to it.

And no more blocking goods from other nations either, like Cuban rum and cigars.
You're only proposing good ideas, I really don't see what you're getting at
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies