Opinion of J.K. Rowling (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:04:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of J.K. Rowling (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of J.K. Rowling?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Opinion of J.K. Rowling  (Read 5621 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: September 16, 2020, 07:24:12 PM »

Wonderful film.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 05:20:59 PM »

...and that he wasn't a fan of the 60s "counterculture" that had grown around LOTR.

This is a misunderstanding. It wasn't that he didn't like it - though he did not appreciate being rung up in the early hours of the morning by Californians curious about details of the book but sadly ignorant of time zones - but that he was a bit bemused by it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 08:55:23 PM »

The main problem with TERFs is not that they're radical feminists...

It absolutely is. Nasty pathological cult. It's where the real insane viciousness of the full-on 'TERF' position on these issues comes from.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 11:58:11 AM »

Can you elaborate on this? I've had much more benign experiences with self-described radical feminists than a lot of people in my life seem to have had, and I'm wondering if it's maybe a particularly toxic milieu in Britain, or among relatively-older people, or among straight women, etc.

In a British context it would refer to a very particular loose network of people dating from the 1970s and for a long time based around a couple of low-circulation magazines and periodicals, and now largely on social media. We really are not talking of many people at all, but they have always been greatly over-represented in journalism and in social sciences academia, particularly at the former polytechnics. Genuinely strange and extreme arguments tending towards a frankly mystical attitude towards biological essentialism were common right from the start, as was a tendency towards disturbing behaviour, the best known example of which was the decades-long campaign of harassment against Ted Hughes.

However, I read one of Rowling's longer public utterances on this for myself and she actually mentions radical feminism in so many words as an influence on her thought, so BRTD's "but technically"-ing the definition of "TERF" is simply inaccurate in her case.

Oh she's clearly fallen deep down that particular rabbit hole. She is unusually obsessive even for a writer.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies