Opinion of J.K. Rowling (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:28:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of J.K. Rowling (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of J.K. Rowling?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Opinion of J.K. Rowling  (Read 5538 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

« on: September 16, 2020, 04:02:00 AM »

I have always had a somewhat positive opinion of Rowlings. Through in the past I thoughts she was a little too woke and she came across as the Steve Buscemi fellow kids meme; a middle age lady trying to be hip.

...Well my opinion have somewhat change, I still have a positive opinion of her and I respect the fact that she's not afraid of embrace her views which goes against the popular zeitgeist. I also think that none of her stated opinions should reasonable fall under the category "TERF" and they're all very reasonable. But at the same time her stated opinions often come across as her having moderated her true opinions especially with her new book. I must admit while I think most transgender people are simply mentally ill, I don't think they're sexual predators targetting women.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 09:47:02 AM »

As a kid I read the first few Harry Potter books but gave up the series somewhere in the middle of the Goblet of Fire, when it started getting too elaborate and teenage angsty and Rowling started to write this epic hero's journey about something or other. Didn't think she's good enough of a writer to carry that to completion, not that I ever went back and checked...

As for the transphobic stuff, it's obviously very disappointing. I have some empathy for her in that given her childhood/upbringing, but that doesn't excuse wilfully spreading misinformation that damages the lives of thousands of people because it reconfirms your priors. Sad to think about.

Seeing that transgender people who get sex reassignment are still massively more likely to commit suicide than non-transgender people, it does raise the question, whether sex reassignment is the correct treatment. In this it's a major problem that any such discussion end up being called transphobic.

On the other hand Rowling didn't help her argument about her not being a TERF by writing her latest book.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies