Opinion of J.K. Rowling (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:02:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of J.K. Rowling (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of J.K. Rowling?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Opinion of J.K. Rowling  (Read 5571 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: September 16, 2020, 05:36:13 AM »

She was always terrible.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 10:11:26 AM »

If only she wasn't so litigious...
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 02:22:41 PM »

Higgins, your posts suggests a degree of both paranoia and sociopathy and I'd image you require much more psychiatric intervention than any trans individual does.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 05:45:51 AM »

I'm quite surprised that people know so little of JK's online persona which, as someone who is otherwise private, is the only way she tends to both associate and communicate. Who she follows, who she retweets, who's work she references is quite telling.

This was known in Scotland six, seven years ago (the Brian Spanner saga)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 02:53:14 PM »

She's definitely the most trans-seeming of the major characters, in the same way that Lupin is the most gay-seeming and McGonagall is the most lesbian-seeming.

I would agree. I certainly always read Lupin that way. There's a lot of obvious queerness to Draco and it shows up in his son in The Cursed Child.

But, and again this is telling, 'everyone got married and had babies' to me was either a unintentional or deliberate 'f-ck you' to people's head canon. Weirdly pointless. It's sadly hard to tell now.

Retconning Dumbledore as a burnt and broken desexualised celibate gay man wasn't personally a helpful step. I don't think I  believe her when she say's that was always her intention. I don't think there was malice there, it was just unfortunate.

But the sad truth is that we ended up with a series of books that ran well into the mid 00's with exclusively heterosexual characters and questionably token non white characters. And for someone with her background the 'comedic but lovable' working class parody of the Weasley's.

FWIW during my big move I gave my books away including two copies of the 'rare' UK one that goes for a few hundred a piece to charity. All that came were my old atlases and Pullman (please forever hold your peace Phillip)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 05:34:13 PM »

She's definitely the most trans-seeming of the major characters, in the same way that Lupin is the most gay-seeming and McGonagall is the most lesbian-seeming.

I would agree. I certainly always read Lupin that way. There's a lot of obvious queerness to Draco and it shows up in his son in The Cursed Child.

But, and again this is telling, 'everyone got married and had babies' to me was either a unintentional or deliberate 'f-ck you' to people's head canon. Weirdly pointless. It's sadly hard to tell now.

Retconning Dumbledore as a burnt and broken desexualised celibate gay man wasn't personally a helpful step. I don't think I  believe her when she say's that was always her intention. I don't think there was malice there, it was just unfortunate.

But the sad truth is that we ended up with a series of books that ran well into the mid 00's with exclusively heterosexual characters and questionably token non white characters. And for someone with her background the 'comedic but lovable' working class parody of the Weasley's.

FWIW during my big move I gave my books away including two copies of the 'rare' UK one that goes for a few hundred a piece to charity. All that came were my old atlases and Pullman (please forever hold your peace Phillip)

His Dark Materials just never took off in America. Really a shame.

I think it would be better now, and certainly people are starting to discover the series. The TV adaptation has been good so far. I get that it's not whizzing you off to a fun world; Potter is joy with impending darkness, His Dark Materials is darkness with impending joy.

It was and remains personally the most influential series of books I have ever read. It upended my worldview at a formative age and sent me off down different philosophical paths. And it gave us Dr Mary Malone who is one of the most underrated female characters in 'young adult' literature. And devoted and loving gay angels. The first gay anything that ever made it into a book I was reading.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 04:17:17 AM »

Too good a parody not to share.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 06:48:24 AM »

Oops

The anti-trans merchandise shop she linked to uses very offensive language so apologies;

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies