Opinion of J.K. Rowling (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:33:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of J.K. Rowling (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of J.K. Rowling?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Opinion of J.K. Rowling  (Read 5569 times)
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« on: September 16, 2020, 08:52:49 AM »
« edited: September 16, 2020, 09:00:14 AM by Лучше красный, чем мёртвый »

I'm a fan of Harry Potter, but...politically I'd now support schools banning Harry Potter books because Rowling is a TERF.

Oh come on. Rowling has some of the most repulsive views of any nominally leftist and feminist public figure in the English-speaking world (Linda Sarsour I guess would be another such example), but when your typical English curriculum includes or might include stuff by a convicted rapist (Thomas Malory), a man most of whose literary corpus revolves around someone he was stalking (Dante), multiple Stalinists (Lillian Hellman, Dashiell Hammett, others whose names I'm forgetting), and someone who supported reestablishing slavery (Charlotte Perkins Gilman), why exactly would this be where you draw the line?

The typical English curriculum includes Dante Alighieri? Lol

(which would be less strange than it including J. K. Rowling by the way)
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 09:27:27 AM »

Dante is like Shakespeare and Cervantes. He is not only an Italian medieval author, but a heritage of humanity

Of course.
However I found it a little funny as (to use your examples) I don't remember if we actually read anything by Cervantes in high school in Italian classes, and we basically skipped Shakespeare since we studied him in English classes.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 10:12:41 AM »

Dante is like Shakespeare and Cervantes. He is not only an Italian medieval author, but a heritage of humanity

Of course.
However I found it a little funny as (to use your examples) I don't remember if we actually read anything by Cervantes in high school in Italian classes, and we basically skipped Shakespeare since we studied him in English classes.

"English class" in American high schools is basically "literature class with a primary but not exclusive focus on American and British lit". This also means that many Americans, even very literate ones like myself, get through their education with a pretty slipshod understanding of the technicalities of English grammar and syntax.

I see.
In Italian high schools "Italian class" means:
1st year there are notions of text analysis, some reading of epic poems and random stuff.
2nd year there are notions of text analysis (and very early Italian literature at the end of the year) + we read The Betrothed.
3rd, 4th and 5th years we study Italian literature (and some snippets of world literature) in chronological order + we read (part of) The Divine Comedy - one cantica per year.
So here too not much grammar and syntax.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 11:58:11 AM »

I'm a fan of Harry Potter, but...politically I'd now support schools banning Harry Potter books because Rowling is a TERF.

Oh come on. Rowling has some of the most repulsive views of any nominally leftist and feminist public figure in the English-speaking world (Linda Sarsour I guess would be another such example), but when your typical English curriculum includes or might include stuff by a convicted rapist (Thomas Malory), a man most of whose literary corpus revolves around someone he was stalking (Dante), multiple Stalinists (Lillian Hellman, Dashiell Hammett, others whose names I'm forgetting), and someone who supported reestablishing slavery (Charlotte Perkins Gilman), why exactly would this be where you draw the line?

In what way did Dante's literary corpus "revolve around someone he was stalking"?

Have you ever heard of this girl Beatrice?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 12:57:26 PM »

I mean I can't speak about what you were taught in school, but at least I was barely taught anything that wasn't Spanish authors. There were a couple of Catalan/Basque/Galician language authors taught to us (most notably Rosalía de Castro) as well as a small selection of Latin American authors, normally 20th ones (Pablo Neruda, Gabriel García Márquez, Mario Vargas Llosa)

But a good 90% of the curriculum is Spanish literature obviously.

I remember reading a Shakespeare translated play in school at some point but that's about it.

Did you read Shakespeare in English classes at least?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 01:05:19 PM »

I mean I can't speak about what you were taught in school, but at least I was barely taught anything that wasn't Spanish authors. There were a couple of Catalan/Basque/Galician language authors taught to us (most notably Rosalía de Castro) as well as a small selection of Latin American authors, normally 20th ones (Pablo Neruda, Gabriel García Márquez, Mario Vargas Llosa)

But a good 90% of the curriculum is Spanish literature obviously.

I remember reading a Shakespeare translated play in school at some point but that's about it.

Did you read Shakespeare in English classes at least?

Actually no, that Shakespeare play was in Spanish classes for some bizarre reason. I do remember reading a couple English novels in English class though; most notably Animal Farm and Alice in Wonderland.

Though the amount of English novels we read in English classes was much smaller than Spanish novels in Spanish classes for obvious reasons.

Lmao

And I thought my English teacher was bad.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 03:24:44 PM »

I’m liking the bifurcated nature of this thread. Sturm und drang over the trans question in one lane and civilized discussion of school literature courses in the other. A magical atlas experience.

Anyway, if they have to put a post-1950 author of potboilers on English Literature courses, then it should obviously be Bernard Cornwell as opposed to JK Rowling.

That's why one can only love Atlas.

By the way, I just realized you have a Giulio Andreotti quote in the signature, which is cool.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 03:33:43 PM »

I’m liking the bifurcated nature of this thread. Sturm und drang over the trans question in one lane and civilized discussion of school literature courses in the other. A magical atlas experience.

Anyway, if they have to put a post-1950 author of potboilers on English Literature courses, then it should obviously be Bernard Cornwell as opposed to JK Rowling.

That's why one can only love Atlas.

By the way, I just realized you have a Giulio Andreotti quote in the signature, which is cool.

I have a great affection (or affliction?) for Andreotti, for which you can blame the combined efforts of Paolo Sorrentino, Tony Servillo and Teho Teardo (with some unwitting help from Trio).

Also, let’s be honest, Andreotti was completely right on that particular issue.

Yeah, I highly suspected Il Divo had a lot do with that.

And, yes, Andreotti was right on that one. He's also the first about whom it should be applied.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 05:04:33 PM »

Also, a lot of people telling on themselves calling her a FF.

You can either be a trans ally or think she's a good person. Not both.

Did you just unironically say "a trans ally"
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 08:10:39 AM »

Is this about the revelation that Luna Lovegood is trans?

We don't know what this thread is about, really.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 04:28:15 PM »

Have you ever noticed that the acronym of Harry Potter is HP? It can't be a coincidence.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 07:26:58 AM »

Oops

The anti-trans merchandise shop she linked to uses very offensive language so apologies;

"Womyn"

That site is crazy.
Imagine spending 10 pounds for a mug that says "Notorious transphobe".
Imagine spending 18 pounds for a T-shirt that says "Man-hating feminazi prude witch bigot TERF".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies