Opinion of J.K. Rowling
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:09:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of J.K. Rowling
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Poll
Question: Opinion of J.K. Rowling?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Opinion of J.K. Rowling  (Read 5536 times)
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 15, 2020, 04:57:19 PM »

There is some controversy over her latest book
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 05:00:56 PM »

Hurts to say but HP.
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 05:10:43 PM »

HP. Makes me glad I preferred Captain Underpants as a kid and Dreadnought as a young adult.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 05:38:00 PM »

FF. It's heartbreaking when a person who has unwittingly enabled left-identitarianism suddenly realizes the damage they've done, but at least she's making efforts to undo that.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 06:06:53 PM »

Transphobic HP.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 08:03:40 PM »

Increasingly, an irrelevancy.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 08:16:08 PM »

I'm a fan of Harry Potter, but...politically I'd now support schools banning Harry Potter books because Rowling is a TERF.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 08:29:01 PM »

I'm a fan of Harry Potter, but...politically I'd now support schools banning Harry Potter books because Rowling is a TERF.
You have to separate art from artist. I hate J.K Rowling but the books don't have anything to do with trans people. Also you should never ban books anyway.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 09:41:26 PM »

What a dumb thing to say.
Higgins
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 12:09:45 AM »

You'd also support throwing people in prison for not conforming to your ideals, or even having entire families be forced into labor for the rest of their lives for not voting your way, so your opinions on all matters are thus void.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 12:31:44 AM »

Obvious HP is obvious. Glad I never got into Harry Potter.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 12:32:48 AM »

All transphobes are HP
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 12:34:51 AM »

She's awesome, can't imagine a having a childhood without harry potter.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 12:37:04 AM »

I don't agree with her anti-trans crap, but FF for standing up to the mob.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 04:02:00 AM »

I have always had a somewhat positive opinion of Rowlings. Through in the past I thoughts she was a little too woke and she came across as the Steve Buscemi fellow kids meme; a middle age lady trying to be hip.

...Well my opinion have somewhat change, I still have a positive opinion of her and I respect the fact that she's not afraid of embrace her views which goes against the popular zeitgeist. I also think that none of her stated opinions should reasonable fall under the category "TERF" and they're all very reasonable. But at the same time her stated opinions often come across as her having moderated her true opinions especially with her new book. I must admit while I think most transgender people are simply mentally ill, I don't think they're sexual predators targetting women.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 05:36:13 AM »

She was always terrible.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 07:24:28 AM »

I' ve never read Harry Potter books, although I've seen one movie or two with Emma Watson

I get the origin of the controversy is a serial killer in her latest book, entitled Troubled Blood. According to a Telegraph review, apparently there's a moral fable within that says "never trust a man dressed as a woman". There are things more truculent and scary than this,  just remember the skin dress wore by Buffalo Bill in The Silence of the Lambs. However, JK Rowling has been lambasted before for alleged transphobia. I'd say she's doing herself no favours, in case she wants to reject the accusations.

The issues related to sex, gender and identity are sensitive topics. It's an objective fact that trans persons are subject of high levels of violence and discrimination. I think the problem with the TERF and their likes is not only the claim that trans women are not 'real women'. Defining women only by biological facts may be narrow-minded, but the notion that all women must menstruate and have a vagina is very common. The meanest thing is the characterization of the 'impostor' trans women as mentally ill persons threatening the 'real' ones. People making such claims deserve to be execrated, because that's hate speech and causes suffering to a group of vulnerable human beings. Rowling is not so far from TERF stances, I am afraid
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 08:28:02 AM »

Oh come on. Rowling has some of the most repulsive views of any nominally leftist and feminist public figure in the English-speaking world (Linda Sarsour I guess would be another such example), but when your typical English curriculum includes or might include stuff by a convicted rapist (Thomas Malory), a man most of whose literary corpus revolves around someone he was stalking (Dante), multiple Stalinists (Lillian Hellman, Dashiell Hammett, others whose names I'm forgetting), and someone who supported reestablishing slavery (Charlotte Perkins Gilman), why exactly would this be where you draw the line?
Higgins
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 08:30:11 AM »

I' ve never read Harry Potter books, although I've seen one movie or two with Emma Watson

I get the origin of the controversy is a serial killer in her latest book, entitled Troubled Blood. According to a Telegraph review, apparently there's a moral fable within that says "never trust a man dressed as a woman". There are things more truculent and scary than this,  just remember the skin dress wore by Buffalo Bill in The Silence of the Lambs. However, JK Rowling has been lambasted before for alleged transphobia. I'd say she's doing herself no favours, in case she wants to reject the accusations.

The issues related to sex, gender and identity are sensitive topics. It's an objective fact that trans persons are subject of high levels of violence and discrimination. I think the problem with the TERF and their likes is not only the claim that trans women are not 'real women'. Defining women only by biological facts may be narrow-minded, but the notion that all women must menstruate and have a vagina is very common. The meanest thing is the characterization of the 'impostor' trans women as mentally ill persons threatening the 'real' ones. People making such claims deserve to be execrated, because that's hate speech and causes suffering to a group of vulnerable human beings. Rowling is not so far from TERF stances, I am afraid

I will never understand this thinking. If a person was of the sincere belief that they were the reincarnation of so and so, and ought to be treated such and such, would we indulge them, or medicate them? If someone went around saying they fully in their heart believed they were not a human, but an animal, and behaved as an animal would, would they end up in therapy or not? Trans people are not "imposters", but they are mentally unwell all the same. It is an abberation of the brain for there to be such a disconnect between mind and body in the same way that there is an abberation of the brain in Autistic child - and we use therapy to treat those with Autism and make life easier for them. It doesn't mean Trans people should be mistreated, but it also doesn't mean their delusions should be indulged, either. If Jack feesls he is Jane, let him or her, but why should the public foot the bill for his transition? Why does he or she deserve a parade for cutting their penis off, you know?
Higgins
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 08:34:51 AM »

Oh come on. Rowling has some of the most repulsive views of any nominally leftist and feminist public figure in the English-speaking world (Linda Sarsour I guess would be another such example), but when your typical English curriculum includes or might include stuff by a convicted rapist (Thomas Malory), a man most of whose literary corpus revolves around someone he was stalking (Dante), multiple Stalinists (Lillian Hellman, Dashiell Hammett, others whose names I'm forgetting), and someone who supported reestablishing slavery (Charlotte Perkins Gilman), why exactly would this be where you draw the line?

Re Malory: In 15th century Britain in which the Thomas Malory we are pretty sure is the same Thomas Malory that was the Arhurian author, one could be charged with rape for having consensual sex with the wife of another man, if said other man did not agree with his wife sleeping with another man - She was "raped" because her husband did not allow for the sex to occur. I'd just thought I'd throw that bit of context in there since the dead cannot speak for themselves.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 08:52:49 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2020, 09:00:14 AM by Лучше красный, чем мёртвый »

The typical English curriculum includes Dante Alighieri? Lol

(which would be less strange than it including J. K. Rowling by the way)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 09:04:31 AM »

I was giving her the benefit of the doubt, but this new book makes that really challenging...
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 09:15:46 AM »

I will never understand this thinking. If a person was of the sincere belief that they were the reincarnation of so and so, and ought to be treated such and such, would we indulge them, or medicate them? If someone went around saying they fully in their heart believed they were not a human, but an animal, and behaved as an animal would, would they end up in therapy or not? Trans people are not "imposters", but they are mentally unwell all the same. It is an abberation of the brain for there to be such a disconnect between mind and body in the same way that there is an abberation of the brain in Autistic child - and we use therapy to treat those with Autism and make life easier for them. It doesn't mean Trans people should be mistreated, but it also doesn't mean their delusions should be indulged, either. If Jack feesls he is Jane, let him or her, but why should the public foot the bill for his transition? Why does he or she deserve a parade for cutting their penis off, you know?

You are basically implying that trans persons need a conversion therapy, similar to those therapies aimed at curing homosexualism and bisexualism. Should a trans conversion therapy include electroshock or not? Which medication would be the more appropriate to treat that disease?

Dante is like Shakespeare and Cervantes. He is not only an Italian medieval author, but a heritage of humanity
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2020, 09:27:27 AM »

Dante is like Shakespeare and Cervantes. He is not only an Italian medieval author, but a heritage of humanity

Of course.
However I found it a little funny as (to use your examples) I don't remember if we actually read anything by Cervantes in high school in Italian classes, and we basically skipped Shakespeare since we studied him in English classes.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2020, 09:51:08 AM »

Of course.
However I found it a little funny as (to use your examples) I don't remember if we actually read anything by Cervantes in high school in Italian classes, and we basically skipped Shakespeare since we studied him in English classes.

"English class" in American high schools is basically "literature class with a primary but not exclusive focus on American and British lit". This also means that many Americans, even very literate ones like myself, get through their education with a pretty slipshod understanding of the technicalities of English grammar and syntax.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies